Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Yep its being said in South Florida for months the Dolphins man crush has shifted to Burrow.  They supposedly still like Tua but injury concerns have curbed some of their enthusiasm.  I do think the idea that they'd skip Tua and take Herbert if he lands at 5 is a smoke screen.  My guess is they still end up with Tua but probably at 5 or if its a trade up, they trade up cheap.  

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

talk was Jax might even make a play for Andy Dalton. Not that I think that is a great move, but with Yan publicly at war with the organisations, them even jumping to #2 for Young could have been a consideration.

As stated, #9 #20 a second or third rounder and Yan. 

Quite a haul that IMO.

Dalton makes sense with Gruden. Maybe he wants TW back too 😀

They could offer a 2nd next year in a package

PFF last mock for 2020, obviously they are misinformed about Doug

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-mike-renner-final-2020-nfl-mock-draft

2. WASHINGTON REDSKINS — EDGE CHASE YOUNG, OHIO STATE

The optics of passing on someone like Chase Young — who looks every bit a Hall of Fame-type prospect — would make it hard for the Skins to trade this pick away. Being “the general manager who passed on Young” isn’t the way Doug Williams wants to start his tenure, even if Young won’t fix their problems overnight.

the later part of their mock

23. GREEN BAY PACKERS (VIA NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS) — WR JALEN REAGOR, TCU

Brian Gutekunst makes a play to move up for the third consecutive draft. This time it’s for that all-important explosiveness that they really don’t have in their receiving corps at the moment.

24. CLEVELAND BROWNS (VIA NEW ORLEANS SAINTS) — T EZRA CLEVELAND, BOISE STATE

The Browns still get their tackle, even if he’s still a bit of a project. Cleveland has off-the-charts movement skills but has yet to be elite in pass protection even though he went against Mountain West competition.

Sep 27, 2019; Berkeley, CA, USA; Arizona State Sun Devils wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk (2) returns a kick during the second quarter against the California Golden Bears at California Memorial Stadium. Credit: Darren Yama****a-USA TODAY Sports

25. MINNESOTA VIKINGS  BRANDON AIYUK, ARIZONA STATE

Aiyuk is a YAC monster who can separate down the football field. Vikings fans might get Cordarrelle Patterson flashbacks, but Aiyuk has been a more physical route-runner already.

26. MIAMI DOLPHINS VIA HOUSTON TEXANS — DI ROSS BLACKLOCK, TCU

The Dolphins go back to their defensive line and get some juice to pair with Christian Wilkins’ power. Blacklock is another guy who could get the project label, but he will be scary once he figures it out.

27. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS — T ISAIAH WILSON, GEORGIA

Wilson is a horse of a tackle at 350 pounds, and he can move the line of scrimmage with the best of them. His pass protection, though … let’s just say it’s not quite worth a first-round pick yet.

28. BALTIMORE RAVENS — LB PATRICK QUEEN, LSU

Queen sees a bit of a mini-fall, as there are a ton of linebacker options on Day 2. However, the Ravens’ massive need for explosiveness at the position makes Queen a perfect fit here.

29. TENNESSEE TITANS — EDGE YETUR GROSS-MATOS, PENN STATE

With a couple of undersized edge defenders penciled in as Tennessee’s starters at the moment, Gross-Matos brings more prototypical size and length to the table.

30. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (VIA GREEN BAY PACKERS) — EDGE JOSH UCHE, MICHIGAN

Uche’s versatility will be put to good use in Bill Belichick’s defense. He can rush from anywhere despite his size and he did so at Michigan.

31. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS — T JOSH JONES, HOUSTON

Jones — and his “average” physical tools by this class’ standard — falls to the back of the first. He’ll start at guard but looks like Joe Staley’s eventual replacement.

32. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS — IOL CESAR RUIZ, MICHIGAN

The Chiefs are on the verge of making Patrick Mahomes the highest-paid player in the game, so it might be wise to protect that investment. Ruiz is young and already exceptionally sound in pass protection.

29 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Yeah I just recall you weren’t too high on him a couple months back. I haven’t seen a lot of him, but some football people I trust seem very high on his approach to the game, on & off the field. 

After I watched him, I was impressed in spite of my prejudices.  He's explosive with great play speed and acceleration, and he plays with fire and competitiveness.  He's not your typical half-assed Big 12 DB at all.  He is super aggressive with his press coverages and super aggressive playing the ball in the air.  And he'll smack you.  He reminds me of Mackensie Alexander, only with better ball skills and more thump to his game.  The only downside was that he's on the small side, and he's going to have problems playing press with big receivers and getting to the ball against length.

There are a lot of really good 6'-6'2 corners in this class, which could hurt the smaller guys like Gladney.  But I like some of these smaller corners a lot this year.  Gladney, Bassey, and Amik are all really good.  I'd be happy to draft any of them.

41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

How embarrassing is it to put out a mock draft and not be aware that the guy you think is making decisions is not only not making decisions, not only never made decisions, but actually got a demotion.

PFF is a joke to me. A lot of people here quote their player ratings like they are god like. I laugh at their "top rated" players constantly. Although I will say I like the majority of their big board for this draft.

man, like most here i assume,  i have been looking  forward to this even as things are--i haven't even read much here this last 10 days or so but all the great posts all you regs make to keep us slackers informed is so so appreciated--thanks!!

with the history of this org under its owner i can't invest much at all in how good something seems to be "on paper", or should be, and that includes rivera and the new coaches....it will have to manifest on the field for me....mike shanahan was not some bum coach and evidence shows his coaching staff was not too bad

that doesn't stop me from thinking rivera seems to have a firmly controlling and very competent hand on the wheel to date (but it is soooo early and dan is dan)

anyhoo, even in this current environment and our history of futility most of these last 15 years, we get to welcome 7 (at this time) new redskins to the team and i am still amped about it :)

I'd never looked at Derrick Brown's high school stats before.  How's this for a senior season? https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derrick-brown?id=32194252-4f39-3541-fadb-33b669a1b580  "He was the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Defensive Player of the Year and the Georgia Sports Writers Association Player of the Year as a high school senior with 106 tackles, 42 for loss, and 12 sacks at Lanier High."

:ols:

Can you imagine what it must have been like to line up against that guy?  He is incredible.  Carolina has to be praying that he falls to him.  He's the exact kind of player that a truly badass defense starts with.

Lmao.

This year, Jones will make the Cowboys’ pick from his home, with no one else around. Which means no one will be there to physically restrain him, if it comes to that. And Jones joked that in the past, it would come to that.

“One of the things I’m not going to miss is when I came out of those draft rooms over the weekend, my old shins used to have big old bruises on them,” Jones said. “That was from Stephen kicking me under the table for three straight days relative to some of our decision-making. I know that we have a serious conference here, but I think I’m going to kind of miss that physical punching that goes on. I told him one time, I asked him where he got his strength when he was 16 years old, he had his uncle down, about to kill him, choked him. He was a big boy, that uncle. And I said, ‘I don’t feel that when I’m rasslin with you.’ He said, ‘Well, you don’t squeeze your daddy as hard as you can.’ The point is, I’m going to miss a little of that punching around at the table as we’re conducting this draft.”

Jones says he doesn’t expect any technical difficulties when communicating with the league office or with other teams on trades.

“I’m very comfortable that the technical capability is very much here,” Jones said.

When it’s time for the Cowboys to make the call, it will be Jerry and Jerry alone making it.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Reading about rumors this morning that the Falcons offer was 2 firsts and 2 seconds and Ridley for the number 2 pick. If that is accurate I am glad we turned it down.

If that was the offer I hope some mention of 28-3 was made in the rejection. That’s almost an insult 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd never looked at Derrick Brown's high school stats before.  How's this for a senior season? https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derrick-brown?id=32194252-4f39-3541-fadb-33b669a1b580  "He was the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Defensive Player of the Year and the Georgia Sports Writers Association Player of the Year as a high school senior with 106 tackles, 42 for loss, and 12 sacks at Lanier High."

:ols:

Can you imagine what it must have been like to line up against that guy?  He is incredible.  Carolina has to be praying that he falls to him.  He's the exact kind of player that a truly badass defense starts with.

How many opposing OL pants crappings did he have?  Sometimes those can be better than sacks! 

I'm getting way too hyped up about the thought of drafting Young.  I don't know if I can take a trade down, emotionally.  The rational part of my brain would be trying to suss out if we added value, but the fan part of my brain would be heartbroken.  I've intentionally avoided watching any of Young's cut ups or highlight videos since the end of the college season just because I don't want to get too attached to him before draft day and it's a done deal.

I remember saying at the beginning of this thread that the dream scenario was to get either Chase Young or Andrew Thomas, but that we'd probably win seven games so there is no way.  It feels surreal to finally be in position to draft Chase Young.  If we do, that will make it the third year in a row where we got my favorite player in the class for us in the first round.  The Redskins are trying to make an optimist out of me.

7 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

How many opposing OL pants crappings did he have?  Sometimes those can be better than sacks!  

The real sabermetric!

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This year, Jones will make the Cowboys’ pick from his home, with no one else around. Which means no one will be there to physically restrain him, if it comes to that. And Jones joked that in the past, it would come to that.

“One of the things I’m not going to miss is when I came out of those draft rooms over the weekend, my old shins used to have big old bruises on them,” Jones said. “That was from Stephen kicking me under the table for three straight days relative to some of our decision-making. I know that we have a serious conference here, but I think I’m going to kind of miss that physical punching that goes on. I told him one time, I asked him where he got his strength when he was 16 years old, he had his uncle down, about to kill him, choked him. He was a big boy, that uncle. And I said, ‘I don’t feel that when I’m rasslin with you.’ He said, ‘Well, you don’t squeeze your daddy as hard as you can.’ The point is, I’m going to miss a little of that punching around at the table as we’re conducting this draft.”

Jones says he doesn’t expect any technical difficulties when communicating with the league office or with other teams on trades.

“I’m very comfortable that the technical capability is very much here,” Jones said.

When it’s time for the Cowboys to make the call, it will be Jerry and Jerry alone making it.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I wonder if anyone will hack the draft?

Would LOVE to be able to hack Jerry and have his selection be Johnny Manziel! 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we do, that will make it the third year in a row where we got my favorite player in the class for us in the first round.  The Redskins are trying to make an optimist out of me.

Kyle Smith BABY!!!  Making us all feel like we have a chance.  Unshackled finally!

Mcqueen, interesting injury stuff. I don't think the Jaylon Johnson stuff bothers me. He's not on the OL. How many CB's have we seen fail due to bad shoulders? I can't think of one for whom it's been a major issue. I bet it doesn't affect his draft stock significantly. 

Gladney however is a different kind of thing. I'd hesitate on a guy with an ACL/meniscus and then another meniscus. 

Interesting that you used John Henderson as a draft comp for Javon Kinlaw's ceiling. Henderson was who I thought of when I considered Kinlaw's back wear and tear as well. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I live in SoFlo... the talk here is actually Herbert for the Phins.... Tua is no longer in the spotlight

(could all be smokescreen but those are words and news reports from Rosenhaus.)

They would absolutely move up for OT Andrew Thomas..

I live in South Florida, too.  Read-and hear the same stuff but part of me thinks the Herbert > Tua is a smokescreen.  There is one Dolphin reporter at least saying its BS and they prefer Tua.  Will see. 

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm getting way too hyped up about the thought of drafting Young.  I don't know if I can take a trade down, emotionally.  The rational part of my brain would be trying to suss out if we added value, but the fan part of my brain would be heartbroken.  I've intentionally avoided watching any of Young's cut ups or highlight videos since the end of the college season just because I don't want to get too attached to him before draft day and it's a done deal.

I recall like yesterday posting on this thread while watching the Wisconsin game, after seeing that performance I am not trading down if I can get Young.   I recall you posted too and agreed. 

This is the pick I am by a mile most excited about in all my years as a Redskins fan sans 2012. 

idk man, if Jaylon Johnson had that surgery to tighten up that shoulder joint, that means it was just falling out when going above his head and stuff, repeatedly. My dad had that, it would pop out 3-4 times a year doing dumb stuff like lifting a laundry basket to the second shelf. He eventually got that surgery and it helped him out, but he's also not a pro athlete. Your arms are up above your head and you're falling at weird angles all over the place as a DB in the NFL. I'd definitely wanna look into it, but that's what team doctors are for so if we took him I'd assume we were fine with it, I don't expect Rivera/Smith to operate like Vinny ignoring the docs on Kelly back in the day.

Archived