Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Saints

KDawg

19 minutes ago, Bang said:

One more thing.

I note the NFL is trying it's best to clean up the game. no hitting, no being mean, no standing over a guy you just tackled. no trash talk, no no no no.

But it was fun watching Li'l Wayne walk around grabbing and squeezing his dick in front of a bunch of kids at halftime.

~Bang

At least they've cut back on the ED drug commercials, trying to be family friendly and all /sarcasm

It was pure embarrassment. 

Coaching: F.

- Gruden had 15 goddamn days to prepare this team and he flat out failed. He isn't HC material. He's a good offensive mind who can draw up good plays but he can't actually game plan on a week to week basis, he coaches scared, his in-game play calling is often ludicrously predictable and counter-intuitive (seriously, how many ****ing times are we going to see him run CT up the gut on goal to go?), he's not inspiring, he either cannot or will not make in-game adjustments. And I'm so ****ing sick of his "aw shucks, we just didn't get it done" post-game pressers. He should be on VERY thin ****ing ice right now.

- What the hell is the deal with Manusky's super bland bend but don't break defense nowadays? I think I saw 1 blitz all game and a vanilla coverage scheme over and over that was getting absolutely burned up but there didn't seem to be adjustments made.

Offense: F.

- Alex Smith had happy feet all game and was incredibly inaccurate even when he did have time. I don't put all the blame on Smith (OL is next up) but damn he looked awful. And thanks for getting 2 of our best players hurt. He was plain bad. And yeah I know that's basically his game but good god I'm sick of seeing him check down 85% of the time. That pick was uggggllllly. 

- OL. Holy ****knuckles. Pass pro was putrid. Run blocking was putrid. They were putrid. Not sure whether we have guys playing hurt or what...but man they really look bad recently. Trent has definitely lost a step. Scherff is playing more like a backup than a Pro Bowler. Bergstrom is awful. Roullier should not be at LG.

- Running game was crap but I think there are multiple factors for that. Poor play calling (what else is new?), poor blocking, no passing game to scare anyone so they could stack the box all day long. 

- Just goddamn boring. We must be the single most boring offense to watch in the NFL. No killer instinct, no aggression, **** play calling, **** execution.

Defense: D

- Our D line is still something of a bright spot, at least against the run. They were clogging running lanes well all night. Payne looks legit. Pass rush is crap though. Not sure if that's a talent or scheme issue; I'm guessing a bit of both. There's also the issue of Kerrigan literally getting rear naked choked on half of his pass rushes. Either way, getting no pressure on Drew Brees is a recipe for disaster. He had time all damn night and he absolutely carved us up mercilessly.

- Pass D was awful. Just awful. Scheme was bland, DBs were getting burned on the regular. Getting stupid ass penalties that were negating nice stops on 3rd down. Norman....getting into twitter beefs after that performance? STOP. JUST STOP, you overrated, overpaid drama queen. 

Overall: F. F minus. F minus minus. 

- Team looked outclassed, unprepared, inadequate, out coached, out schemed, out played, uninspired, pathetic.

Redskins football.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

At least they've cut back on the ED drug commercials, trying to be family friendly and all /sarcasm

Oh my GOD< NFL Network is nothing but,, including an animated Snoop Dogg telling us HE doesn't have the problem, but YOU probably do so call....

~Bang

I'm usually an optimistic person and prefer to point out positives rather than negatives but after that ****show there's not much good stuff to say.

I don't like Alex Smith as a QB (he seems like a good person). It's only been four games but I've had enough of his dink & dunk aversion to going deeper than five yards. Maybe he needs to get his eyes checked. Seriously, just like Carlos (stone-hands) Rogers after he left to go to SF, it wasn't his hands, it was his eyesight. 

Whatever Smith's problem is, would Colt McCoy be any worse right now? If there was a small drop-off to McCoy, would it be equal to a draft pick and a decent CB? I don't think so.  The trade for Smith is looking like another Andy Reid masterstroke.

The O-Line doesn't look right and they all made individual errors last night IIRC, it seems like stunts and blitzes are confusing them. I don't know who should play at LG, but Chase needs to go back to center. Let's do the business on a Monday or a Sunday before doing it on a ****ing Friday! Hogs 2.0 my arse.

Brees is an exceptional QB and he's got some good receivers but come on, they ****ing torched us last night. And with the smell of burnt toast still hanging in the air, Norman gets into it on Twitter!?! Get over yourself son, you stank, in fact outside of the d-line, you all stank.

Just ask Thomas Morstead how bad you stank... Who the **** is Thomas Morstead you ask, exactly, he's the Saints punter.

The Saints had nine drives (plus one play to end the half) and went TD, TD, TD, TD, fumble, end of half, TD, TD, FG, end of game. Not one punt, not one! Thomas ****ing Morstead got the easiest paycheque of all.

Gruden's offense is too predictable. Every now-and-then he surprises me and makes a good call, but too many times if it looks like a run, then it's a run. If it looks like we'll pass, then we pass. No innovation, no deception, no cleverness. Just plodding along making predictable boring calls that defenses appear to know what's coming.

We are 2-2 and top of the ****-heap at the moment, but I don't see us beating the eagles or the cowboys, maybe we split with the giants. If things carry on like this we will finish third or last again. Jay Gruden is on the hot-seat right now and his arse is getting burnt as badly as our DBs did. Time to step up or step out.

The game finished at 4:30am here, I got to bed about five and was up for work at 6:30 (my poor work-mates suffered today, lol). To make things worse, they're actually showing Brees' record-breaking touchdown on Sky News. Hence my bad mood and rambling rant.

Maybe I'll lighten up a bit after some sleep but right now it looks all doom and gloom, I can't see things improving and only see a loss against the Panthers.

Things can only get better? **** OFF.

Im gonna call it out and say...the cowboys fired callahan and we scooped him up and i remember there being something of a report that the o line progressively got worse and worse and i say its happening herr as well. The o line CONTINUES to get abused by stunts and gap shots that we have no answer. He was suppose to help the run game...yeah i dont see it and he needs to go. Jay needs to go. What a glorified jim zorn we got. 

That was the most predictable **** ever. Don't know why some people even bother.

"Skins got a chance to get a lead on the division, baby!!!"

Nothing about the last nearly 20 years suggests opportunities like that end in usually anything other than complete and utter embarrasment.

I just didn't think they'd get a 3rd world beatdown like that. They were never going to win, though. And if they did, it frankly would've told me  hell of a lot about them (as I said it would, back when people were fist pumping about beating freaking Arizona, and I said holla at me in October).

This is not a good football team. Silver lining I guess (like 2015), is when you look around the division, maybe they don't have to be.

I've never liked Norman's twitter taunting, but this beef isn't on him. Michael Thomas, who I thought was a stand-up guy, started this thing. It's not like he did much to deserve to say what he did, but ****, after that curb stomping anyone on the Saints can say what they whatever they want.

As humiliating as the loss was last night lets be real for a second here, The Saints are a Super Bowl caliber team this year, We weren't the first team they blew out this year and we sure as hell won't be the last. Carolina is a tough matchup on Sunday but i do think we matchup a little better verse them. Unlike Brees Cam Newton can be baited into mistakes and is easily frustrated . I Called a 2 touchdown (was close) Saints victory because i knew we didn't matchup well verse them. Alex Smith is not the guy you want going into a Monday night showdown verse drew brees lol. You don't need stats or scores to tell you that. I'm looking for us to bounce back verse the Panthers and win that game, look for the running game to return

I feel very thankful that I don't have ESPN. When I first checked in, the score was around 20-6. I didn't even bother trying to find a stream. Redskins are trash, I kind of hope they keep it up now just so that the FO and coaching finally gets nuked.

On the plus side, Vita Vea is an absolute beast in M19. I had some good fun with that.

Specific to this game...

the blow out was bad enough, but it was made harder to stomach with salt being rubbed in the wound - missed calls by the ref, the Brees celebration, the Saints-centric broadcast (I donÂ’t blame them, ‘Skins did nothing), the dozens of replays of the record breaking celebration, the injuries, the ineptitude on offense, defense and coaching, the dumb penalties, etc.  

I said before the game - this was a bad matchup for us - going against an excellent, well balanced offense and a defense that excels vs the run.   

Meanwhile, our offense cannot pass the ball effectively without an ‘on fire’ run game (and even then, ‘effective’ is our ceiling).  Our defense can stop the run or limit the pass, but they cannot stop both.  

On the team in general...

Our receivers aren’t getting separation and this correlates to the lack of YAC.  Gruden isn’t a very aggressive play caller and is worried about balance and running the ball.  Of course, it seems apparent he’s hampered by 1) receivers not winning enough, 2) an oline that is susceptible to interior pressure/can’t maintain their blocks, 3) a qb that is risk averse, and 4) a so-so defense.  You can still win with what we have, but not against defenses with stout dlines and speedy backers. 

The cherry on top here is that, IMO, Gruden expects too much.  He has too many plays in his book for the team be able to perfect them.  I think Manusky is in a similar boat - too much focus on variance, leading to missed assignments.  Last thing on this front - having so many plays makes it that much tougher to let guys play to their strengths, which comes down (in part) to personnel and Bruce’s team building.  

All JMO of course.  

I posted something very similar to whats below in the Alex Smith thread but I think is fits here as well.

This current Redskins team is a good team WHEN WE GET A LEAD. We absolutely 100% have to get ahead early in games to win. When we do that we control the game by running, can take checkdowns to stay ahead of the chains and keep the clock moving and force teams to come out of zone to build a box which gives Smith some chunk play opportunities. We tend to get conservative with play calling but thats another issue.

When we get a lead we function well as a team playing complimentary football.

When we get behind though the wheels fall off. Teams just sit in a cover 2 shell (or variations) and we either don't have the horses outside to challenge secondaries or Smith is not willing to give his receivers an opportunity to challenge down the field. We are reduced to check downs and screens that get blown up because teams are sat back waiting for it. And let's be clear the Saints secondary is not good - if we will not challenge them who will we challenge?

Plus only two targets for Jordan Reed is a criminal waste of his talent. I don't care how they are covering him that's inexcusable from a game planning, play calling and QB decision making perspective.

If we have to get ahead early to win it's going be a 6 to 8 win season again. Which is not good enough. If teams can stop us by getting a double digit lead and sitting in C2 and C3 with the odd zone blitz your offense is just not very good from both a system and personnel perspective.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I realize this was tongue in cheek, but if you want to talk about legit best players on this team...

DJ Swearinger, Vernon Davis, Daron Payne, Chris Thompson and Adrian Peterson.

Those are our best players.

Swearinger - He's fairly one dimensional as a safety

Davis - Yep, but not the future. 

Payne - Love that he's on this list. Hope he can keep it up. 

Thompson - He's just not a full time player

Peterson - Yep, but like Davis, not the future. 

I should say, this game was the worst possible scenario. 

We played against a team that can attack at all levels, punish blown coverages and can run the ball. Our shortcomings were going to be identified. 

Add in that it was a nationally televised game and that Alex Smith just doesn't play catchup that well and this had all the makings of a disaster. 

The only saving grace is that the NFCE is garbage. 

5 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Remember after the Colts game when this forum was tearing itself apart?

There was a few who still drank the kool-aid, and the same who pumped their chests after the packers game.

WeÂ’ve beaten a garbage cardinals team and a crap packers team.

The intelligent ones knew who this team really was. 

Before people say say we have a shot at winning the division, I can guarantee we drop at least one to the Giants. And they’re awful. Let that sink in for a moment.

Not sure what you smoking but 14-2 here we come!!!

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

There's also the issue of Kerrigan literally getting rear naked choked on half of his pass rushes.

I officially suggest that we nickname Ryan Kerrigan "Hangman" because, it's all he get when playing:

noeud-coulant-t-shirt-premium-homme.jpg

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

To put it in perspective, the Vikings are a better team than the Skins, and had a much more embarrassing loss.

The lost by a wider margin (26 points), and to a much worse team (Bills), AND they were shutout.

But I don't think they're acting like the season and the team is lost.

**** happens to good teams.

I always thought that it's not because others act like crap that I have to as well...

I don't care what they looked like. What they do. If they crap the bed from times to times, fine for them...

Now, don't come here and tell me that this Saints team is any good... Fitz scored 48 on them. And they barely beat the Browns... So no, they are NOT that good...

Archived