Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Saints

KDawg

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

I've never liked Norman's twitter taunting, but this beef isn't on him. Michael Thomas, who I thought was a stand-up guy, started this thing. It's not like he did much to deserve to say what he did, but ****, after that curb stomping anyone on the Saints can say what they whatever they want.

Problem I have with Norman is he can communicate so well with opposing WRs, but this year hasn't appeared to be where he's supposed to be.  As much trash as he's talked throughout the course of his career, maybe a dose of his own medicine will help him to focus on doing his job well.  

The stunt with him wearing an 18 lb vest during TC?  Now he flies in on plays out of control, like a teenager behind the wheel of a super car.  Maybe his technique in coverage would be better if he hadn't spent valuable preparation time artificially weighing himself down.  

Last night was the perfect storm for a team to go into NO and get their clock cleaned. Aside from maybe 2 or 3 elite teams in the NFL, virtually everyone else what've suffered the same fate as we did last night. The Saints were not going to ruin Brees' historical night by losing, or even giving a team hope. The Skins could not match the Saints intensity on neither side of the ball and they got hammered. Brees didn't miss a throw and the NO defense played out of their minds....they're not nearly as good of a D as they seemed to be last night. As for the home crowd? Forget it. That place was insane and looked a lot like it did when the Saints played their first home game after the hurricane in 2005. That game too resulted in an embarrasing loss for the Saints opponent.

That said, we are not a very good football team. We're poorly coached by a bad coaching staff and we don't have any consistent playmakers on offense or defense. But we're through week 5 and we're in first place- how many people on here wouldn't have taken that when the season started? There's also the real chance that, although we're currently in first place, we might be the worse team in the division and last night could've been a harbinger for a season implosion. We're pretty much the same Washington Redskins that we've been for the past 27 years, so I'm going to try and enjoy being atop the division, because it sure isn't likely to last much longer.

30 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Now, don't come here and tell me that this Saints team is any good... Fitz scored 48 on them. And they barely beat the Browns... So no, they are NOT that good...

How about their offense ? One of the tops in the league. Last night wasn't much of an aberration from what they've been doing. Before last night, they were averaging about 35 points a game

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

How about their offense ? One of the tops in the league. Last night wasn't much of an aberration from what they've been doing. Before last night, they were averaging about 35 points a game

Browns hold them to 21.

What were the Browns doing that we aren't able to do at all???

7 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

There's also the real chance that, although we're currently in first place, we might be the worse team in the division and last night could've been a harbinger for a season implosion. We're pretty much the same Washington Redskins that we've been for the past 27 years, so I'm going to try and enjoy being atop the division, because it sure isn't likely to last much longer.?

If that implosion happens, clean house.  Front Office on down.  I'm done with Jay (as someone who has been an avid Gruden supporter) it pains me to say.  This coaching staff isn't getting it done.  Even the defense is a pretty big embarrassment.  They looked completely lost last night.  Pathetic.

20 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Leaving aside that Dan is the owner and as Jed York famously said, you can't fire the owner.  I seem to recall you banging the drum for Alex Smith long before the trade went down so what has happened in 4 games to make ?you change your mind?

To be fair I banged the drum for Alex once it became 100% that Kirk was gone. That happened for me the moment that Kirk said Superbowl week that he was not going to sign before Free Agency started with anyone. Before then all I said was that Alex was a good target in case Kirk didn't sign here over the other choices being discussed - Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, and AJ McCarron. My opinion about that has not waivered one bit. But the thing you missed was that me being pro Alex was the options available to them.  

The Redskins were in no position draft wise to go after one of the better QBs in the draft sitting where they did because to move up would cost them a fortune and I didn't want that draft capital to goto another team. There was only one QB drafted in the first round after they picked - Lamar Jackson pick 32 - so my expectation was correct about the cost to move up.

The teams best players are old, Alex was the best option they had to make a run this year. After everything the team did to Kirk both positive and negative to me that once Kirk surprised the world with that announcement then I really started banging the drum for him to arrive. I don't believe that signing Alex was not the teams best option. My initial feeling about this team today with Alex is this groups going no where so they might as well reboot the whole thing starting with Alex, Josh, and any piece they could get value from before the trade deadline. 

20 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Jay is on seriously thin ice now, I cannot see him making it to another season unless we take a big leap forward in the next few weeks and finish with a 10 or 11 win season and a playoff spot.  Right now that really is not looking very likely.  If his time is up though, please don't give it to Manusky.  Without a time machine we can't give it to McVay but we need to conduct a real search and pray the next coaching guru is out there waiting for the Redskins to find him and not just go with a retread or safe pair of hands.

I completely agree with you about this. As much as I hate to say it Jay's time here is done

14 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Browns hold them to 21.

How about force them to punt?  The only time I saw the Saints punter was during halftime.

Maybe not have boneheaded penalties that extend drives on 3rd down?  

This defense is not good.  They came out totally unaware that they're facing a generational talent at QB, that can get anyone the ball, at any time.  These are the games that serve as barometers to what they really are.  And they didn't slightly fail, they failed to do anything to make the game competitive. 

The Saints could've put up 50+ on us easily...the score doesn't even indicate what a monumental mismatch their offense versus our defense was.  

4 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

First Skins game I have turned off in years.

Not I. I forced myself to watch every excruciating moment of it. It's how I punish myself for still being a Redskins fan.

7 minutes ago, megared said:

How about force them to punt?  The only time I saw the Saints punter was during halftime.

Yep. Saints didn't punt once in the entire game. Not once.

Unbelievable.

45 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Carolina will beat us like rented mules.

Can't wait to see FedEx on Sunday. It's going to be an absolute sea of blue.

No need to banter back and forth about the Redskins if you’re not willing to simply accept that Dan Snyder is a wildly incompetent owner who runs a horse**** organization.  Anything after that is a given.  How many competent coaches has he fired?  How many incompetent coaches has he hired?  How is Bruce Allen still employed?  Why hasnÂ’t he hired true football people to make decisions and create a real football organizational structure?  ItÂ’s starts and ends with Dan Snyder.  HeÂ’s such a wildly incompetent buffoon that has single handedly turned a once proud Washington Redskins organization into a laughingstock of epic proportions.  He will never sell the team.  This is as good as itÂ’s gonna get folks.  Just stop buying merchandise and going to games!  Hell, hereÂ’s a thought, stop watching them too!!!

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

To be fair I banged the drum for Alex once it became 100% that Kirk was gone. That happened for me the moment that Kirk said Superbowl week that he was not going to sign before Free Agency started with anyone. Before then all I said was that Alex was a good target in case Kirk didn't sign here over the other choices being discussed - Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater, and AJ McCarron. My opinion about that has not waivered one bit. But the thing you missed was that me being pro Alex was the options available to them.  

The Redskins were in no position draft wise to go after one of the better QBs in the draft sitting where they did because to move up would cost them a fortune and I didn't want that draft capital to goto another team. There was only one QB drafted in the first round after they picked - Lamar Jackson pick 32 - so my expectation was correct about the cost to move up.

The teams best players are old, Alex was the best option they had to make a run this year. After everything the team did to Kirk both positive and negative to me that once Kirk surprised the world with that announcement then I really started banging the drum for him to arrive. I don't believe that signing Alex was not the teams best option. My initial feeling about this team today with Alex is this groups going no where so they might as well reboot the whole thing starting with Alex, Josh, and any piece they could get value from before the trade deadline.

Bridgewater would have been a much better choice. Same kind of QB, 10 years younger. And, I would say that they best players here are young, not old.

Honestly, the "win now" thing has boggled my mind this year. This is not a team that was one step away from a really deep run last year. This was a team that was flawed on many levels, and then let it's best player walk. On a good day, it's average. On a bad day, it's terrible.

3 minutes ago, megared said:

This defense is not good.  They came out totally unaware that they're facing a generational talent at QB, that can get anyone the ball, at any time.  These are the games that serve as barometers to what they really are.  And they didn't slightly fail, they failed to do anything to make the game competitive. 

The Saints could've put up 50+ on us easily...the score doesn't even indicate what a monumental mismatch their offense versus our defense was.  

The Browns actually have a really good defense. And have for a couple of years now.

30 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Bridgewater would have been a much better choice. Same kind of QB, 10 years younger. And, I would say that they best players here are young, not old.?

Honestly, the "win now" thing has boggled my mind this year. This is not a team that was one step away from a really deep run last year. This was a team that was flawed on many levels, and then let it's best player walk. On a good day, it's average. On a bad day, it's terrible.

Bridgewater would have been a horrible choice. Even in preseason he looked garbage and was sent away from the team that first picked him up from the team that drafted him. So now the Vikings could have had him and decided instead to release him and then the JETs sent him away as well.  I don't agree with him being any teams answer at all at the position. I like the man don't mean to come across too strongly negative but he's living on hype now without a reputation to back it up. Also the Saints didn't even put him in the game last night when it was way out of hand to get him any experience, a mistake to me if anything happens to Brees this year. To me given the choice of Bridgewater I'd rather tank the season with Colt McCoy over believing that Teddy B is the answer. Alex gave them a better shot this year. 

I don't know why you are confused by the "win now" problem with this team going into the season. What happens when they fail is the coaching staff will be fired. The only way that after records like 2-3 (corrected) in games after bye weeks that Jay owns to not get canned was to win now. Jay is also Doesn't matter if this teams in it's window to win now but the best players on the team either are old - Davis, Norman, Trent, Kerrigan - and have to win now if they ever do, or they are young and heading to free agency - Preston Smith, Crowder, Brandon Scherff - so the only way those guys will win here is if they win now. That's a problem with this team pushed upon it by the two idiots running the show. 

As for the team going into the season this team had a funnel offense and needed a RB (they were bottom 5 for rushing last season), and WRs. Which was why since we are talking about my takes before the season I was banging the drum that they needed to draft the Alabama stud Calvin Ridley in the first. Had they done that they would have gotten a great WR prospect and a great RB prospect this past draft. Instead of them doing what I wanted they drafted Payne in the first and didn't address the WR position. 

The team also had a funnel defense going into the season and needed a run stuffer (they were bottom 5 against the opposing running back last season). I also posted here that I wished they would have signed Jonathan Hankins to shore up that area of the team and wouldn't have signed Vea or Payne. They passed on him of course with the excuse given with that decision was dictated to them because Hankins wanted too much money. Hankins signed with the Colts for 2 million bucks this year.

The problem and boy there are many with this team is that 1) The front office is always thinking and planning like they have to win now. 2) They don't understand basic fundamentals of NFL contracts as well as they should and had they known that they wouldn't have drafted Payne in the first round. 3) They have no accountability and the party atmosphere still exists. When Gibbs was here after a loss it was like doom. Under Jay it's nothing like that. Does anyone think that under Gibbs we would have seen those goofy pictures of the players riding scooters on the Friday before a big game like we did? I sure don't. 4) They don't build anything they patch. Patching works when you have basic fundamental pieces in place that are your foundation. This team doesn't have any foundation. 

I could go on and on but the truth is the Win-Now is put on the team by an awful owner and an even worse GM/Team President. Until they vacate for all of us going 8-8 is going to be like winning a Superbowl. Sucks but what else have we seen?

The Browns actually have a really good defense. And have for a couple of years now.

This I agree with. The days are gone when teams would pick on the Browns to get right. 

39 minutes ago, megared said:

Maybe not have boneheaded penalties that extend drives on 3rd down? ?

I can agree easily with that. That must not happen.

Truth is we have areally young defense. And I can see that those things happen with younger guys that are sometimes getting out of their mind and do stupid things. That use to sort itself out as players grow. But that's also where vets have to step up and teach the younger guys. Guys like Norman, Brown, Kerrigan, that's their jobs.

Our D is full of talent, but is also reckless because it's really young.

And that D lacks a general on the field. It lacks a London Fletcher type of guy. Someone that will smack your head and kick your butt so that doesn't happen again.

47 minutes ago, megared said:

That penalty was truly the beginning of the end. I'm not saying we could have won that game because there's no way on God's green Earth we are a good enough team to have won that game. However, that penalty started the blowout.

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Bridgewater would have been a horrible choice. Even in preseason he looked garbage and was sent away from the team that first picked him up from the team that drafted him. So now the Vikings could have had him and decided instead to release him and then the JETs sent him away as well.  I don't agree with him being any teams answer at all at the position. I like the man don't mean to come across too strongly negative but he's living on hype now without a reputation to back it up. Also the Saints didn't even put him in the game last night when it was way out of hand to get him any expirence, a mistake to me if anything happens to Brees this year. To me given the choice of Bridgewater I'd rather tank the season with Colt McCoy over believing that Teddy B is the answer. Alex gave them a better shot this year. 

What? He killed us in preseason. He looked great in preseason. Do you have him confused with someone else?

I don't know why you are confused by the "win now" problem with this team going into the season. What happens when they fail is the coaching staff will be fired. The only way that after records like 1-4 in games after bye weeks that Jay owns to not get canned was to win now. Doesn't matter if this teams in it's window to win now but the best players on the team either are old - Davis, Norman, Trent, Kerrigan - and have to win now if they ever do, or they are young and heading to free agency - Preston Smith, Crowder, Brandon Scherff - so the only way those guys will win here is if they win now. That's a problem with this team pushed upon it by the two idiots running the show. 

See, only Trent is older and one of our better players. Davis? REALLY?! No, you're wrong here Our best players are:

Crowder, Allen, Payne, Dunbar, Scherff, Reed, Swearinger, and Thompson. Not Old.

Now, in regards to the coaching staff, I do agree with you.

As for the team going into the season this team had a funnel offense and needed a RB (they were bottom 5 for rushing last season), and WRs. Which was why since we are talking about my takes before the season I was banging the drum that they needed to draft the Alabama stud Calvin Ridley in the first. Had they done that they would have gotten a great WR prospect and a great RB prospect this past draft. Instead of them doing what I wanted they drafted Payne in the first and didn't address the WR position. 

Yeah, well WR in the draft, especially the 1st round is a utter crapshoot. See: Doctson, Joshua. going after a good FA IMO is a much safer bet.

And honestly, we needed a NT worse than any other position, so I agree with the Payne pick.

The team also had a funnel defense going into the season and needed a run stuffer (they were bottom 5 against the opposing running back last season). I also posted here that I wished they would have signed Jonathan Hankins to shore up that area of the team and wouldn't have signed Vea or Payne. They passed on him of course with the excuse given with that decision was dictated to them because Hankins wanted too much money. Hankins signed with the Colts for 2 million bucks this year.

I was all over getting Hankins. But I'm fine with getting Payne.

The problem and boy there are many with this team is that 1) The front office is always thinking and planning like they have to win now. 2) They don't understand basic fundamentals of NFL contracts as well as they should and had they known that they wouldn't have drafted Payne in the first round. 3) They have no accountability and the party atmosphere still exists. When Gibbs was here after a loss it was like doom. Under Jay it's nothing like that. Does anyone think that under Gibbs we would have seen those goofy pictures of the players riding scooters on the Friday before a big game like we did? I sure don't. 4) They don't build anything they patch. Patching works when you have basic fundamental pieces in place that are your foundation. This team doesn't have any foundation. 

Totally agree with #1

Not sure about #2, Hankins was only that cheap very late.

Agree with #3

Agree with #4

I could go on and on but the truth is the Win-Now is put on the team by an awful owner and an even worse GM/Team President. Until they vacate for all of us going 8-8 is going to be like winning a Superbowl. Sucks but what else have we seen?

True enough. I suppose that when I look at the roster, that getting Alex Smith was not going to change everything for us, like it seems many people though. In fact, we might be worse off now, even with some semblance of a running game and a slightly improved Defense. But that was almost all I heard, and I suppose that Alex's age had a lot to do with it. But, we're not winning anything now.

Not even the offseason anymore.

19 minutes ago, Chachie said:

That penalty was truly the beginning of the end. I'm not saying we could have won that game because there's no way on God's green Earth we are a good enough team to have won that game. However, that penalty started the blowout.

Gotta disagree here, unless they gave up in the 1st quarter.  The Saints first 7 possessions, they had 6 TDs, 1 fumble lost. 

The first three 3rd downs the Saints offense faced, we committed penalties to extend the drives.  Just a pathetic effort from a discipline, and execution standpoint. 

Next three 3rd downs, the Saints went 3-3 before taking their foot off the gas.  

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Browns hold them to 21.

The Browns are not as bad a football team this year compared to last year.  Don't let last years record of 0-16 and this years start of 2-2-1 fool you.  If they had a legit kicker and started Mayfield week 1, they could just as easily be sitting at 4-1 or 5-0.  Week 1 was a monsoon rain game that resulted in a tie, their winning FG attempt got blocked. 

Week 2 against the Saints, their kicker missed 2 FGs and 2 extra points or they win that game.  They won week 3 against the Jets, then got screwed against Oakland week 4 when they reversed the call and didn't give them a first down when they clearly got the first down.  Instead of being able to kneel three times and get the W, Raiders forced OT and pulled it out.  Then they won week 5.  

Are they contenders? No.  

Garbage in garbage out...I don’t feel any different than I did last night...I have tickets for Sunday that im not sure I even want to use at this point. They are club level so IÂ’m thinking if I do go I will probably sit at Hooters the entire time and watch the other games as well, yes folks itÂ’s that bad. 

I never thought we would beat the Saints, but I thought we would at least be halfway competent. I’m just tired of losing, tired of laying eggs on Monday Night Football, tired that my kids have chosen to like this team and will never see the success I did growing up. 

Rambling a bit, but the team makes me feel so bla at this point, and there are obvious examples of winning culture staring them in the face that they continually ignore. It just sucks. 

2 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

Garbage in garbage out...I don’t feel any different than I did last night...I have tickets for Sunday that im not sure I even want to use at this point. They are club level so IÂ’m thinking if I do go I will probably sit at Hooters the entire time and watch the other games as well, yes folks itÂ’s that bad. 

I never thought we would beat the Saints, but I thought we would at least be halfway competent. I’m just tired of losing, tired of laying eggs on Monday Night Football, tired that my kids have chosen to like this team and will never see the success I did growing up. 

Rambling a bit, but the team makes me feel so bla at this point, and there are obvious examples of winning culture staring them in the face that they continually ignore. It just sucks. 

I hear you man, I have tickets for this Sunday also that I bought months ago with my buddy whoÂ’s a big Carolina fan. Not even that excited about it anymore, maybe this loss will light a flame though.

I'll be honest, as stupid as people are going to say our team is because of those penalties given up to keep the Saints drive going in the 1st quarter, they were ticky tacky as hell. This team is mentally weak and the league knows it. Call a couple of soft penalties against them and they fold and start to think there's nothing they can do to pull out a win. Pushing a Brees story-line, it was so obvious it made me sick. After the first quarter, the Redskins game was background noise because the narrative was already in place. 

Game observations from what I watched:

Defense

Still an improving group, this game made them look worse than they are and will heavily effect their stats. Offense didn't do much to keep them off the field... like at all. 

-Allen - Settle - Payne. Get this front on the field immediately because 3rd and shorts are WAY too automatic right now for the opposing offenses. We need more beef and Payne is not a NT, I'm sorry but he's just too small and he's at his best playing weight right now. Keep him at this weight and insert Settle into the lineup. 

-Preston Smith is having his worst year as a Redskin, I wouldn't resign him and would go after Frank Clark of the Seahawks if he hasn't signed a contract extension. 

-Josh Norman is overrated and is murdering our cap space. I wouldn't mind having fresh young talent in there. 

-Very disappointed in our safeties, hopefully this is the worst game of the season for them. 

-Manusky needs to get his stuff together right now, short passes are open ALL game. Please fix this problem or our D is going to look worse than it actually is. This is a top 20 defense still imo but I never believed we were even close to top 5. Still... it's an improvement. 

Offense

What a ****-show. Going into the season the offense looked weak to me, I just didn't have a good feeling about it for some reason. Didn't seem to be enough weapons and the O-line constantly being injured with a very conservative QB made me skeptical about it. Welp, this is what I feared. Saints Run D is actually pretty good and their D is pretty underrated. With our lack of WR's we really had no way of exposing the weakness in their secondary apart from Lattimore. Just a bad matchup for us, their weakness was covered because our weakness was paralleled by it. 

-Alex Smith is what he is, very safe and can get the job done if he has the role players. He does not, look at the Chiefs without him, he had a dominant offense to assist him and make him look good. He's serviceable but that's it. 

-WR's are hot garbage apart from Richardson and Crowder. They are just role players though, we need a star here (Coulda had Michael Thomas, but I'll leave that alone) 

-RB's.. Christ Thompson up the middle.... are you ****ing kidding me

-OL- I'm sorry but they're overrated, average to good in all areas, but inconsistent and not great in any area.

Looks like a 7-9 season boys, we'll win the next game probably but lose the next 2. This such a hot/cold team that it's hard to even analyze them because you never know what team will show up. 

Falls on Gruden, we all had to know they would come out looking like trash after having their bye week. He's not keeping them focused enough in my opinion. Players love him because he jokes around and has light practices but that shouldn't get you a pass in the NFL. Gruden, you're on the hot seat. 

Thoughts I had after last nights game (other than an overwhelming urge to throw my beer through the TV) were:

1) We need to replace Allen/Gruden this offseason and get a real GM and a competent coaching staff. Seriously.

2) We need to unload as many highly paid vets as we can - those we can trade, we trade. Those we release, preferably do so with minimal cap implications.

3) How many draft picks do we have in 2019? We're gonna need them all.

This has to be a real rebuild.The team I saw last night has no business calling itself an NFL franchise.

Archived