Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

Just now, MartinC said:

He played hurt quite a bit of time - and so yes he was. Healthy he is a below average starter but serviceable. The issue is he can't stay healthy.

Healthy he is bad. Injuried he's horrible. And he is always injured, so he's going to be horrible, when he can actually play. So I still say there were better options out there.

Does that mean that OL depth league wide is good? No. It just means that ours is likely worse, and I don't think we really tired to fix anything. I think Jay is very happy with our OL. And I think Jay is wrong when it comes to LG.

41 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Healthy he is bad. Injuried he's horrible. And he is always injured, so he's going to be horrible, when he can actually play. So I still say there were better options out there.

Does that mean that OL depth league wide is good? No. It just means that ours is likely worse, and I don't think we really tired to fix anything. I think Jay is very happy with our OL. And I think Jay is wrong when it comes to LG.

I disagree he is flat bad when healthy - but I do agree that's a moot point because he is hurt so often. I don't think Jay is happy with our interior O'Line depth and I'm pretty sure he would love to upgrade LG on the starting line. I recall reading or hearing the team were looking at options from outside the current roster for depth leading up to the cuts at guard and maybe centre. But pickings are REALLY slim on O'Line depth.

That's a position we will have to look at in the draft next year (long odds on a guard being let go in free agency with tread on his tires and if one is its going to cost more than we can afford with Schreff, Smith and Crowder to try to extend)

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I disagree he is flat bad when healthy - but I do agree that' a moot point because he is hurt so often. I don't think Jay is happy with our interior O'Line depth and I'm pretty sure he would love to upgrade LG on the starting line. I recall reading or hearing the team were looking at options from outside the current roster for depth leading up to the cuts at guard and maybe centre. But picking are REALLY slim on O'Line depth.

That's a position we will have to look at in the draft next year (long odds on a guard being let go in free agency with tread on his tires and if one is its going to cost more than we can afford with Schreff, Smith and Crowder to try to extend)

I don't think they are barren however. I've already mentioned one guy that I see as an upgrade, and I'll add another.

Boehm released

After adding two offensive linemen off the waiver wire, the Cardinals decided they didn’t have room for Evan Boehm or Will Holden.

Boehm, who played 31 of 32 games over the last two years and started eight at guard in 2017, was initially drafted as a center in 2016.

It appeared he would get a chance to back up Mason Cole after starting center A.Q. Shipley tore his ACL at the beginning of August.

Instead, the Cardinals stuck with Daniel Munyer, who will apparently back up Cole.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1652639/arizona-cardinals-notable-cuts-evan-boehm-greg-little-brice-butler/

Swing G-C that Gurden/Callahan like.

Young (25 years old)

Hasnt been snagged yet (I didnt see anything)

2017 PFF grade of 61.8 (#42 G)

That rating is 17 spots higher than Lauvao, not that PFF is everything. But still.....

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

After watching Hard Knocks there isn't anything that makes me jealous of the Browns, in fact, the coaching staff is dysfunctional and its a matter of time before Mayfield gets scraped off the turf.

We'll see.

No doubt, hue jackson comes across as a bit of a dummy.  I agree their coaching leaves a lot to be desired, but they have the rigjt people in the FO to get it right

22 hours ago, zoony said:

Well if we are cutting guys to make room for their cut guys, I mean...

And yes, we should be jealous of the browns.  They have actual football people ruining their organization.  We have Bozo the clown and his cronies.

Fixed it for ya!

This roster has a weird feel to it, IMO.   

A ton of youth, but an older qb and rb, (and a lot of injury concerns).  An oline that could be quite good, but very little depth behind it (which is scary considering last year).  The makings of a very good front 7, but a lot of question marks behind them in the secondary.  And a crazy young and unproven receiving corp.  

I see a lot of potential, but a lot could easily go wrong too...

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

This roster has a weird feel to it, IMO.   

A ton of youth, but an older qb and rb, (and a lot of injury concerns).  An oline that could be quite good, but very little depth behind it (which is scary considering last year).  The makings of a very good front 7, but a lot of question marks behind them in the secondary.  And a crazy young and unproven receiving corp.  

I see a lot of potential, but a lot could easily go wrong too...

I agree. I'm hoping that AP and the running game keeps the team in games for the first 8 and then CT, Reed, and the young D-Line close out the season to push the team into the playoffs.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

The Cardinals have one of the worst O'Lines in football. If he could not make their 53 I have trouble seeing him as an upgrade.

PFF rating are all over the place - take them with a large pinch of salt. 

I mentioned that about PFF. The Cards went hard at improving their OL in the offseason, and it's a much improved unit over last year.

Ryan Anderson started the 4th game and played a lot. I don’t know much about his play. Was excited when we got him but seems to sort of just play rather than make plays. Anyone able to give a better breakdown? He has an explosive burst and seems to be strong, but at the same time looks lost out there and hesitant. Him playing so much against the Ravens makes me think coaches still aren’t sure.

14 hours ago, dyst said:

Regarding Martrell Spaights, he was cut and still remains unsigned. Skins obviously didn’t  put him on the practice squad either. So was he not eligible or did they just no longer want to be in the Spaight business?

Really curious about this myself.

LB Josh Keyes .... we will be his 7th NFL team in 3 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Keyes_(American_football)

How is that possible? Seems he bounced around from PS to PS .. but we signed him to our 53?

Couldnt we have gotten a gy like this pre PS and coach him up?

Couldnt we have signed him to our PS instead of the 53?

Probably way to many question for the 53rd guy on our roster who will probably not take a snap prior to being released.

Archived