Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

And since the chiefs drafted after us, that means the Redskins purposefully passed on him, and think both Dunn and Bergstrom are better options.  Interesting. 

Yeah, that seems very questionable. I'm not sure either is better. Appears Hroniss Grasu cleared. Not sure what the team is doing with interior line. Still waiting for some movement on Marshall. I'm wondering if a veteran is at all in consideration. Cooper? I can't feel too comfortable with Dunn/Bergstrom

4 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

Wait a second....weren’t you the one that started the “we should be jealous of the Browns” thread (sarcasm). ??????

Well if we are cutting guys to make room for their cut guys, I mean...

And yes, we should be jealous of the browns.  They have actual football people riunning their organization.  We have Bozo the clown and his cronies.

Just now, zoony said:

And yes, we should be jealous of the browns.  They have actual football people riunning their organization.  We have Bozo the clown and his cronies.

I’m aware of the difference between picking up their offcast players and modeling our front office after theirs...I just couldn’t resist commenting on that. Cheers. 

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Anyone else irritated that we make a move at one of our stronger, deeper positions, but nothing in areas where we are lacking?

It's almost like our coaches are not paying attention.

Its also like O’line depth is almost non existent league wide meaning the odds of anyone who was just waived being a (much needed) upgrade at interior O’Line depth are pretty long.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Its also like O’line depth is almost non existent league wide meaning the odds of anyone who was just waived being a (much needed) upgrade at interior O’Line depth are pretty long.

Except I don't buy that. I'd don't just accept that a team with a really good OL doesn't have depth that is better than us. I don't accept that a guy like say, Nico Siragusa is worse than what we have.

This is something I was saying in other threads, but I thought Dunn would make it because he's versatile and can play center. Gruden loves centers and versatility. Now he has more guys that can be active on GameDay. 

The question to me is less about the guards being released but the G/C players because that's what we need more. And Dunn is a guy who i heard positive things about from Cooley and Doc during the games and no negatives. And I think he's the one who was highlighted in training camp as having handled Payne. So we may like his potential more than random guys. 

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is something I was saying in other threads, but I thought Dunn would make it because he's versatile and can play center. Gruden loves centers and versatility. Now he has more guys that can be active on GameDay. 

The question to me is less about the guards being released but the G/C players because that's what we need more. And Dunn is a guy who i heard positive things about from Cooley and Doc during the games and no negatives. And I think he's the one who was highlighted in training camp as having handled Payne. So we may like his potential more than random guys. 

I think we're looking for different things. I'm looking for someone to boot Lauvao off the roster. You're looking for depth behind a backup.

38 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I think we're looking for different things. I'm looking for someone to boot Lauvao off the roster. You're looking for depth behind a backup.

I think it will take more than an off the streets guy that got cut from a team to boot Lauvao off the roster.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Well that's another thing entirely, Lauvao is a vet who in their eyes they can trust  barring injury. The injury is why a Dunn and Berg become important, but finding somebody better is a nontrivial task since they'd probably have to pay that person, or that person would have similar injury concerns, or would not be as reliable. The first two of these are pretty much non starters for Bruce. And with the third, it gets to a question of are they competing with Lauvao or with Dunn & Berg?

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Lauvao is the worst player on our line, but there is no way we are finding a player better then him on cut day. Only way to replace him is via FA, paying a lot, or drafting and developing OL.

And that's why he is still starting.

1. He is not as bad as most think? I think he is that bad but maybe not.

2. The FO won't spend money on an OL FA or use high draft picks to get one. Scherrf being an outlier, but he was a tackle really. The same approach they have used on D line until the last year or so.

11 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

2. The FO won't spend money on an OL FA or use high draft picks to get one. Scherrf being an outlier, but he was a tackle really. The same approach they have used on D line until the last year or so.

checks user name

You sure you should be thinking at all? doesn't that hurt? 

? 

2 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Lauvao is the worst player on our line, but there is no way we are finding a player better then him on cut day. Only way to replace him is via FA, paying a lot, or drafting and developing OL.

I dispute that.  No way?  There's plenty of way.  There were a bunch of middling guards with starting experience that got cut. Were they better than Lavauo, who knows, most people dont scout middling guard talent around the league to know most of these names to even have an idea.

If we actually had any decent competition, Lavauo might be one the cuts on cut down day.  But he's the best of a bad bunch, which probably makes him look better than he is.  

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dispute that.  No way?  There's plenty of way.  There were a bunch of middling guards with starting experience that got cut. Were they better than Lavauo, who knows, most people dont scout middling guard talent around the league to know most of these names to even have an idea.

If we actually had any decent competition, Lavauo might be one the cuts on cut down day.  But he's the best of a bad bunch, which probably makes him look better than he is.  

First, while I dont love him I think Lauvao isnt as bad as we tend to talk about. And there isn't a plethora of good gaurds on the market, teams aren't cutting decent OL. And cutting a guy like Lauvao, where you know what his skill level is, for an unknown in the NFL and your system is unwise.

17 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

First, while I dont love him I think Lauvao isnt as bad as we tend to talk about. And there isn't a plethora of good gaurds on the market, teams aren't cutting decent OL. And cutting a guy like Lauvao, where you know what his skill level is, for an unknown in the NFL and your system is unwise.

Those arent the only choices.  You wouldn't cut Lavauo and keep a the backup.  You'd cut the backup, and keep Lavauo, but the new guy would be there to (hopefully) push Lavauo or replace him if he falters or gets hurt, both of which are equally likely.

The problem with that is Lavauo has no position flexibility whatsoever.  So he's not a great backup.  Personally, I think every OL should be able to play another spot in a pinch.  And he's about the only one that cant.

59 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

And if the 'reports' are true, he's been injured a large part of the time he's been here.  He's not very good when he's not 100%.  We've seen moments that would lead you to believe he can be a serviceable LG and be effective.... but at what point do we say.. he's not healthy on enough of a regular basis, to believe he's got any real value.  

8 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I think it will take more than an off the streets guy that got cut from a team to boot Lauvao off the roster.

Why? Outside of Gruden having a fixation on him like he did for Ryan Grant and for Rob Kelley?

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Well that's another thing entirely, Lauvao is a vet who in their eyes they can trust  barring injury. The injury is why a Dunn and Berg become important, but finding somebody better is a nontrivial task since they'd probably have to pay that person, or that person would have similar injury concerns, or would not be as reliable. The first two of these are pretty much non starters for Bruce. And with the third, it gets to a question of are they competing with Lauvao or with Dunn & Berg?

When is Lauvao ever healthy? And even when he is, he's one of the worst starting guards in the league. If you don't think you can at least try to get better when you have that situation, you're simply not trying. I mean, we cut Lanier for a dude that the Browns cut. Don't think a guy that was a 4th round pick by the Ratbirds, coming off an injury and has the size might be a better shot?

3 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

And I disagree. Lauvao is not only our worst player on our OL, he's one of, if not the worst starting guard in the league. And that is when he is healthy, which he never is. I saw guys cut that could be significantly better.

14 hours ago, zoony said:

Freudian slip? Did you  mean to say running or ruining?

14 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Except I don't buy that. I'd don't just accept that a team with a really good OL doesn't have depth that is better than us. I don't accept that a guy like say, Nico Siragusa is worse than what we have.

Then you did not watch much preseason football. O'line depth is horrible league wide.

5 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

When he's healthy he's a serviceable starter. Below average maybe but not flat out bad. 

The problem is he gets hurt a lot and when he plays hurt - hes just not good. 

That we have to play him hurt speaks to the lack of any quality depth behind him.

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Why? Outside of Gruden having a fixation on him like he did for Ryan Grant and for Rob Kelley?

Stop with the myth here.

Lauvao was not signed when last seasons ended. We didn't signed him until late in the offseason after not being able to sign anyone else during this offseason. And it did happened at the same time Kouandjio went on IR. The same Kouandjio that we cut from the 53 at the beginning of 2017.

If Jay had a fixation on him he would have had him signed before the beginning of FA.

Jay loved Ryan Grant's work ethic. Good thing. But Ryan Grant was never more than a 4th string WR. He only started last year after injuries started to pile on... Ryan Grant then left in the offseason as a FA to the Ravens before being voided for a failed physical. Now the guy is a starting WR for the Colts. Guess we didn't put much effort to have him signed back...

Jay also loves Robert Kelley's work ethic. He loved him so much that they went after Perine then Giuce in back to back draft to try to upgraade the position. And when Giuce fall, the team goes after Peterson who then quickly become the starter...

There's no problem for a coach praising his players for their work and everything that goes with it. It does not mean in any way that he thinks those guys are HoF material or whatever. Just that they're guys that work hard and you can rely on on occasions.

Who was the first guy we resigned this offseason?

Quinton Dunbar.

Jay is really high on this guy as well when he speaks of him. I've yet to noticed someone around here saying Jay does have a fixation on him.

17 hours ago, zoony said:

After watching Hard Knocks there isn't anything that makes me jealous of the Browns, in fact, the coaching staff is dysfunctional and its a matter of time before Mayfield gets scraped off the turf.

We'll see.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Stop with the myth here.

Lauvao was not signed when last seasons ended. We didn't signed him until late in the offseason after not being able to sign anyone else during this offseason. And it did happened at the same time Kouandjio went on IR. The same Kouandjio that we cut from the 53 at the beginning of 2017.

Gruden, as recently as a day ago as called our OL "great". While I've ever other person, including Doug Williams and Bruce Allen, has said that LG is an issue, I have not heard Gruden say it was. Lauvao was signed before Kouandjio went on IR. meanwhile, we literallly have done more at one of our deepest areas, DL, than we have at LG. So, while the rest of the FO might think that Lauvao sucks, it doesn't look like Gruden does.

If Jay had a fixation on him he would have had him signed before the beginning of FA.

Jay i not alone in making that call.

Jay loved Ryan Grant's work ethic. Good thing. But Ryan Grant was never more than a 4th string WR. He only started last year after injuries started to pile on... Ryan Grant then left in the offseason as a FA to the Ravens before being voided for a failed physical. Now the guy is a starting WR for the Colts. Guess we didn't put much effort to have him signed back...

Once again, Jay is not the only guy in the building. Jay loved Ryan Grant, and everyone knows it. Jay seems to get fixated on really marginal guys that work hard. That's nice, but it doesn't win football games.

Jay also loves Robert Kelley's work ethic. He loved him so much that they went after Perine then Giuce in back to back draft to try to upgraade the position. And when Giuce fall, the team goes after Peterson who then quickly become the starter...

Once, again, I need to mention that Gruden is not the only person IN THAT ROOM. Now, when it comes to depth chart, Gruden has the final say. Kelley was the #1 back. It seemed as if we were going to stay pat after Guice went down. Finally a move was made, and Peterson was so much better, Gruden HAD to start Peterson. But I honestly don't think he really wants to.

There's no problem for a coach praising his players for their work and everything that goes with it. It does not mean in any way that he thinks those guys are HoF material or whatever. Just that they're guys that work hard and you can rely on on occasions.

Who was the first guy we resigned this offseason?

Quinton Dunbar.

Jay is really high on this guy as well when he speaks of him. I've yet to noticed someone around here saying Jay does have a fixation on him.

I have not hear half the praise attached to Dunbar that I heard for Grant and for Kelly. But when you also look at Dunbar's body of work, does it make you feel comfortable to know he's the starting CB? I know it doesn't make me that comfortable. I would have looked to sign someone not named Scandrick to have them start where Dunbar is. I don't think he's all that good either.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Then you did not watch much preseason football. O'line depth is horrible league wide.

When he's healthy he's a serviceable starter. Below average maybe but not flat out bad. 

The problem is he gets hurt a lot and when he plays hurt - hes just not good. 

That we have to play him hurt speaks to the lack of any quality depth behind him.

59th rated guard is flat out bad.

Archived