Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I wasn't criticizing the youth of the group. If these players work out, the Redskins can be set at WR for years.

Just an observation at how young they are. :)

I got ya... didnt think you were criticizing.  I do want to see us get a louder voice in that group.  Wrs need to be a little crazy, similar to safeties.... hence the reason a lot of the time.. the better WRs seem to be 'me' guys.  

I dont want Ocho cinco or dez... but I'll take some attitude like megatron or pierre

38 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

We have a youth movement at WR too.

I think I read an article that said with the departure of Quick, we have no WRs older than 26.

We have a pretty young  RB corps with Guice, Perine and Kelly. Obviously  Chris Thompson is 27 and AP is 33 but the1st 3 are 25 or younger.

2 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

We have a pretty young  RB corps with Guice, Perine and Kelly. Obviously  Chris Thompson is 27 and AP is 33 but the1st 3 are 25 or younger.

Yeah, I don't really include Peterson in that group because I believe he is just a one year stop-gap until Guice returns next season.

22 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Sprinkle is a monster, seems to be developing based on the reports out of camp.  If he can be a threat in the short passing game its a game changer, he's the only TE we have that can block and catch.

22 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Sprinkle fan here.

I was kinda hoping He was going to be a focal point in the passing game during a preseason game at some point....Would have loved to see him in a primary roll. 

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

For Caleb Brantley it appears

I don't like it.  Lanier was awesome on passing downs.  He had a valuable role on this team  He was young with time to develop his run defense.  Brantley seems like an underachiever. 

Having tomsula makes me feel better about the situation, hopefully he can get the most out of him.  

22 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I was kinda hoping He was going to be a focal point in the passing game during a preseason game at some point....Would have loved to see him in a primary roll. 

He may be we just might not know it, we showed absolutely nothing in the preseason.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't like it.  Lanier was awesome on passing downs.  He had a valuable role on this team  He was young with time to develop his run defense.  Brantley seems like an underachiever. 

Having tomsula makes me feel better about the situation, hopefully he can get the most out of him.  

I was just about to post this. My question is, why cut a guy that has done some good things, while we have a position that we're really weak at, and we ignore it?

I am digesting Caleb Brantley. I recall him before the 2017 draft, I didn't study him but I recall Cooley had a massive man crush on him.  Now that Cooley is gone from 980 -- working for the FO?  Heck if D. Hall and C. Portis can be paid consultants to the FO, don't think its crazy far fetched that Cooley is doing some work for them. ?

Before the SEC Championship Game, Alabama coach Nick Saban said Brantley was as good a player at that position as any in the country.

And soon he’ll find out just how much the NFL thinks of him.

Brantley hasn’t publicly announced his intentions for the draft yet, but there seems little doubt as to what he’ll do.

Prospect profile

Along with those effusive comments from coaches both inside and outside the Florida program, the scouting community seems highly impressed with Brantley as well.

Pro Football Focus, which evaluates every player on every snap, graded Brantley at an 86.4 on a 1-100 scale for the season, which is outstanding.

They have also routinely had him ranked as one of the most disruptive defensive linemen in football, crediting him with 28 total quarterback pressures (their own stat).

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-defensive-tackle-caleb-brantley-go-pro

As soon as Brantley was released I was hoping we would have some interest.  But why on earth release an outstanding person/player like Lanier.  I like the idea of Brantley but not at the expense of Lanier.  

Here's hoping by chance of miracle Lanier can land on the practice squad and we can get him back on the active roster.  Here's hoping that Brantley can live up to the Aaron Donald comparisons as well.

8 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

Here's hoping by chance of miracle Lanier can land on the practice squad and we can get him back on the active roster.  Here's hoping that Brantley can live up to the Aaron Donald comparisons as well.

He is eligible for ps, but I bet he gets claimed.  But I hope he slips through.

I also find it interesting that the team cut Lanier when it seemed like they'd have an extra roster spot after IRing Marshall. Except they still haven't placed Marshall on IR, and there were some recent rumblings that they were having second thoughts on that. Not that I expect the team to want to keep 7 lineman on the 53. But it could have bought them a little time.

Appears Cleveland runs a 4-3, so Brantley would likely switch from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 DE.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I also find it interesting that the team cut Lanier when it seemed like they'd have an extra roster spot after IRing Marshall. Except they still haven't placed Marshall on IR, and there were some recent rumblings that they were having second thoughts on that. Not that I expect the team to want to keep 7 lineman on the 53. But it could have bought them a little time.

Appears Cleveland runs a 4-3, so Brantley would likely switch from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 DE.

Yeah he's a three technique type.  If I recall Lanier played a lot of 3 technique on the right side after Allen got hurt.  So guessing Brantley is slated to sub in for Allen on some players.  Settle and Payne when playing 3 or 5 technique in the preseason typically were playing on the left.

I am just confused by two things, Why the Browns gave up on Brantley and why the Skins gave up on Lanier,,,,IDK what IDK, lol

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched the first drive from their last preseason game.  Brantley lined up at nose -- shaded a little to the left and also played R-DE.  Small sample obviously but he looked good in that drive.  Helped stopped a run play almost in its tracks and the Lions needed to double team to deal with him at nose.

Still further makes me wonder wtf happened. 

6 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I think its telling they did not claim Brantley. If they really loved him, they would have submitted a waiver claim. They did not and were willing to risk another team getting him.  On the plus side, they don't take on his contract, which means avoiding any dead money should they cut him (from his signing bonus). So it seems they are keeping their options option. But I hope Brantley shows something.

14 minutes ago, skins4 said:

Hip injury, planning on going to IR if clears

For what its worth Craig Hoffman said from what he hears Lanier's injury isn't that severe and he should be able to play soon.  So he didn't seem to think it was the driving force but who knows?

But regardless if they can stash him on IR, guess it works. 

Archived