Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For what its worth Craig Hoffman said from what he hears Lanier's injury isn't that severe and he should be able to play soon.  So he didn't seem to think it was the driving force but who knows?

But regardless if they can stash him on IR, guess it works. 

If so he is eligible to return week 9

23 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

If so he is eligible to return week 9

From what I understand you only got two IR guys who you can stash to return.  Think McGee is one?  Marshall the other? But who knows?  The other IR guys are out -- they get a salary but don't hold a roster spot.   If he isn't that hurt, wonder if they can get away with the IR or instead shoot for practice squad?  I am guessing he gets claimed and this conversation ends up moot. 

I know most of the guys, well, the younger guys, because they’re from the SEC and I played against them,” Brantley said. “That’s pretty cool. I think it’s pretty cool to be around guys that can play ball, that’s similar. They all know how to pass-rush. They’re just a fun group of guys and I like how it’s not just football. They’re actually friends with each other, they do stuff with each other and they hold each other accountable.”

The second-year player likes that he can grow with his counterparts and even learn from veterans like Ziggy Hood.

“I think it’s a good thing that everybody can grow together,” Brantley said. “But I also think it’s good because they have a guy like Ziggy Hood and I didn’t have a guy like that in Cleveland. I can go to him and ask him about stuff that I might be having trouble with early in my career or I might necessarily not know how to do. He’s been there, he did it, so he can give me pointers. It’s cool to learn from him.”

Redskins make roster moves, sign DL Caleb Brantley

What type of player is Brantley and what does he bring to the Redskins after a rookie season in Cleveland where he posted 18 tackles and two sacks in 12 games?

“I feel like I can add pressure up the middle and just be a disruptive force,” Brantley said. “That’s what kind of player I am. I just get in there and get vertical and penetrate. And I feel like I can be that kind of player here. I feel like I can learn a lot from Coach Tomsula. He’s one of the best D-line coaches. I’m just looking forward to learning from him and just doing what he asks me to do.

“I just feel like I get off, I get vertical and I find the ball,” Brantley went on to say. “I feel like being here with Tomsula, watching practice today, I feel like he’s really going to help me evolve into a great pass-rusher. He’s going to teach me how to use my get off in the run game and the pass game. So I really look forward to that.”

http://www.sportsjourney.com/2018/09/dl-caleb-brantley-is-looking-forward-to-opportunity-with-redskins/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I understand you only got two IR guys who you can stash to return.  Think McGee is one?  Marshall the other? But who knows?  The other IR guys are out -- they get a salary but don't hold a roster spot.   If he isn't that hurt, wonder if they can get away with the IR or instead shoot for practice squad?  I am guessing he gets claimed and this conversation ends up moot. 

My understanding is a designation is no longer needed but the team is limited to bringing two back. 

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Anyone else irritated that we make a move at one of our stronger, deeper positions, but nothing in areas where we are lacking?

It's almost like our coaches are not paying attention.

Not really. It depends on who's out there and if the team likes them better. I am still wondering what's going on with Byron Marshall. If they IR him, it opens up a spot on the 53, which I suspect would be geared towards interior offensive line. Also this tidbit likely shows Lanier may have been gone sooner had a waiver claim been awarded:

10 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Anyone else irritated that we make a move at one of our stronger, deeper positions, but nothing in areas where we are lacking?

It's almost like our coaches are not paying attention.

Its not just that we need to get stronger at the interior, we just plain need a serviceable body there.  When Lauvou goes down, what is the plan?

There were a couple of interesting names waived yesterday in ex-Skin Austin Reiter and Hornis Grassu. Was wondering if we'd hear anything on if they cleared waivers or not. Though even if the Skins were interested, unless they claimed them on waivers we might not hear anything til tomorrow (Just like it took two days for Brantley's name to pop up even though he was waived Saturday)

I'd also add the for all the hand-wringing of who to cut and who would make the final 53, only two Redskins cuts got claimed - Kevin Hogan and TJ Clemmings. Neither of whom seemed to be in serious consideration for the roster. All the bubble guys - Robertson, Spaight, etc... are all still freely available. And the only player even signed to another teams practice squad so far is Kyle Kalis. So take that for what its worth

7 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't like it.  Lanier was awesome on passing downs.  He had a valuable role on this team  He was young with time to develop his run defense.  Brantley seems like an underachiever. 

Having tomsula makes me feel better about the situation, hopefully he can get the most out of him.  

Like it or not the two players are not in the same class as far as talent goes.....Not even close.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am digesting Caleb Brantley. I recall him before the 2017 draft, I didn't study him but I recall Cooley had a massive man crush on him.  Now that Cooley is gone from 980 -- working for the FO?  Heck if D. Hall and C. Portis can be paid consultants to the FO, don't think its crazy far fetched that Cooley is doing some work for them. ?

You may recall I drafted him in the 2nd in our ES draft before the legal stuff came out. I LOVE the player.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:42 PM, stan-the-redskinfan said:

I know they play different positions, but I’d much rather give a roster spot to Martrell Spaight than Troy Apke.  The latter looked constantly lost on the field to the point of embarrassment. I guess the Redskins don’t won’t to admit they messed up their 4th round pick this year.

Apke looked so bad in the time I saw him play that I'd bet there are several players on the street today that are more NFL ready than he is...gotta hope he can be a ST gunner and be coached up on defense. Think of it this way, the Steelers are notorious for taking freak athlete linebackers and playing them little to none in year 1. They coach them up in their system then unleash them in year 2. 

Archived