Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For what its worth Craig Hoffman said from what he hears Lanier's injury isn't that severe and he should be able to play soon.  So he didn't seem to think it was the driving force but who knows?

If that was true then why not just cut him and ave a roster spot for someone else??

Junior Galette Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Facts he’s a Star in the Making

Junior Galette added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
Anthony Lanier had 5 sacks last year. Has a minor injury, could be claimed anyway https://twitter.com/redskins/status/1036635461983391745 
0 replies8 retweets20 likes

7 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

If that was true then why not just cut him and ave a roster spot for someone else??

They did give a roster spot to someone else.  If you can stash him on IR and have your cake and eat it too, why not.  But he has to clear waivers.

16 minutes ago, dyst said:

Are our injured guys, who didnt practice much or play in preseason (for preservation sake)...healthy and able to play against the Cards?

Check back on Wednesday. Seems most players are practicing outside of Zach Brown and Mo Harris. But the big ramp up will start Wednesday and if people are still out then, it could be enough to cause them to miss the game

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Junior Galette Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Facts he’s a Star in the Making

Junior Galette added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
Anthony Lanier had 5 sacks last year. Has a minor injury, could be claimed anyway https://twitter.com/redskins/status/1036635461983391745 
0 replies8 retweets20 likes

They did give a roster spot to someone else.  If you can stash him on IR and have your cake and eat it too, why not.  But he has to clear waivers.

You can place Lanier direct to IR (without waivers). But it doesn't sound like he's seriously injured.  Meaning he can force his way off IR by passing a physical. So it wouldn't really help much

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

You can place Lanier direct to IR (without waivers). But it doesn't sound like he's seriously injured.  Meaning he can force his way off IR by passing a physical. So it wouldn't really help much

Yeah that corresponds though to my my point.  I quoted Hoffman who said there is more to the brantley over Lanier than just Lanier's health, suggesting they like him better as a player -- someone responded to that saying if so then why not outright cut him.  My point in response was they sort of did.  I said Hoffman said he wasn't that hurt.  If he does though clear waivers they might be able to stash him. He has een on the practice squad before.  This time I suspect though someone grabs him. 

Craig HoffmanVerified account @CraigHoffman

FollowingFollowing @CraigHoffman
More

Gruden to the podium. “We thought it was a chance to get our football team a little better...we think Caleb brings a little more to the defensive line room.” Says good things about Lanier, but there’s more versatility with Brantley.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that corresponds though to my my point.  I quoted Hoffman who said there is more to the brantley over Lanier than just Lanier's health, suggesting they like him better as a player -- someone responded to that saying if so then why not outright cut him.  My point in response was they sort of did.  I said Hoffman said he wasn't that hurt.  If he does though clear waivers they might be able to stash him.

More

Gruden to the podium. “We thought it was a chance to get our football team a little better...we think Caleb brings a little more to the defensive line room.” Says good things about Lanier, but there’s more versatility with Brantley.

Why stash him if he is literally the low man in the DL room?  I get what you are saying but its a big head-scratcher.   

CALEB BRANTLEY

2016: Declared for the NFL Draft after his redshirt junior season…  Selected to the All-SEC Second Team by the leagues’ coaches, AP, Athlon Sports, Gridiron Now and Pro Football Focus… Appeared in all 13 games and started 11 at defensive tackle… Finished with 31 total tackles and led the team with 9.5 tackles-for-loss and 2.5 sacks… Also had three quarterback hurries and a forced fumble… Recorded a sack and three total tackles in his final game as a Gator in the Outback Bowl against Iowa… 2015: Appeared in 13 games, starting 10...Named to Pro Football Focus’ Second Team All-America... Totaled 29 tackles with 6.5 tackles-for-loss... Recorded a career high tying six tackles against LSU... Notched a pair of quarterback hurries during the season and recorded a sack at Missouri and South Carolina... 2014: Played in all 12 games and started at defensive tackle in the bowl victory over East Carolina... Totaled 21 tackles with 4.0 tackles-for-loss... Had three quarterback hurries... Forced two fumbles and recovered a fumble... Posted three-or-more tackles five times on the season, with a season-high four at Alabama... 2013: Did not see any game action and redshirted... Earned Most Valuable Offensive Scout Team Award... Named to the SEC First-Year Honor Roll.

PRIOR TO FLORIDA: Named the top 2013 defensive tackle at the Rivals 100 Five-Star Challenge... Competed in the Orlando Nike Football Training Camp and The Opening... Played in the Under Armour All-American Game in January...  Recorded 94 tackles, 5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries as a senior... Named to the Florida Class 1A All-State First Team in 2012... Coached by Al Smith.

BRANTLEY’S CAREER HIGHS
Tackles: 6 (LSU, 2014)
Sacks: 1.0 (3x, last vs Iowa, 2017)
Forced Fumbles: 1 (3x, last LSU, 2016)

37 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Brantley was an absolute BEAST at Florida drawing comparisons to Aaron Donald. If he can bring that to the Skins with the talent that they have on that DL and with a little Tomsula motivation?  Our front 7 can be scary good!! The back end?  That remains to be seen.  

Looming question is, why did the Browns let him go ?

That may be a bigger head-scratcher than us letting Lanier go.

1 minute ago, NeverSurrender said:

Why stash him if he is literally the low man in the DL room?  I get what you are saying but its a big head-scratcher.   

They're not really stashing him. They legally can't just straight cut Lanier while injured. They have to designate him as injured and try to reach an injury settlement. Which is likely what will happen in the next few days (assuming no one else claims him on waivers)

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that corresponds though to my my point.  I quoted Hoffman who said there is more to the brantley over Lanier than just Lanier's health, suggesting they like him better as a player -- someone responded to that saying if so then why not outright cut him.  My point in response was they sort of did.  I said Hoffman said he wasn't that hurt.  If he does though clear waivers they might be able to stash him. He has een on the practice squad before.  This time I suspect though someone grabs him. 

More

Sorry, misread that. But you're right

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a bit of speculation, but seems to be related to effort. I get the impression they didn't love his effort in practices and such and combined with everything else (he was already a back-up), they decided to move on.

The best way to describe Brantley, from what I remember of him in college, is disruptive. He didn’t always get the tackle/sack but he was always seemed to be getting penetration and was a handful for Olines. 

Also, Brantley with Settle & Hood as the 2nd group as a DL rotation has me much less worried about that 2nd unit getting gashed by the run. 

Lanier is a really good pass rush guy, but he was one dimensional. Our run defense was bad with him in there. 

It reminds me of the 05 season i think when we cut a dl (Campbell) who was a udfa with 5 sacks who went on to have a good career. But this philosophy is different because we're going for youth and potential and trying to build a dominant line all around

I’ll trust the coaches here, but I do think there is value to having a guy (Lanier) that can rush the passer situationally... especially considering I’m not convinced our backup OLBs can do so.

I like that Brantley can rotate at DT though.  I don’t think Hood, or McGee are fits there, Lanier was more a situational guy vs a sub (if that makes sense) and I’m not sure about Settle in that role either.  Now, presuming Brantley works out, we should be 2 deep at DT.  

27 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Not following the logic.  Unless I am missing your point, it would be like why stash Bibbs on the practice squad if Jay sees him as the 6 best back on the roster?  Don't think anyone was saying they didn't like Lanier.   But it was they liked Brantley more.

21 minutes ago, Jericho said:

This is from a Browns site, but he noted Brantley as being the biggest surprise cut by the Browns:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/9/1/17810104/8-notes-on-the-browns-initial-53-man-roster

helps explain the thinking:

That's interesting because that was exactly Casserly's concern when he was rating him pre-draft.

53 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Right.  I know people are expecting improvement from the browns this year, but the fact is a team that didn't win a game last year thought Brantley wasn't worth a roster spot.  I feel like I read something about inconsistent effort, but I can't find the link.

And if he had all this hype coming out of college, why did he slide to the sixth round?  From a USA today article, looks like effort again was a factor, along with uncertainty about his true position.  Also had a battery charge hanging over his head that eventually got dismissed.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/101797318

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's interesting because that was exactly Casserly's concern when he was rating him pre-draft.

Ex-Gators make me nervous, they have a history of being undisciplined and it goes much deeper than Hernandez.

I'm guessing this was Tomsula's call, gotta trust him.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Right.  I know people are expecting improvement from the browns this year, but the fact is a team that didn't win a game last year thought Brantley wasn't worth a roster spot.  I feel like I read something about inconsistent effort, but I can't find the link.

And we saw how the Hogan trade worked out, after the Browns didn't want him either.

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

It does seem like Brantley is more of a Hood player than a Lanier, but maybe we're trying to get all 2 dimensional players along our line. 

I've been watching him a little today, played some nose - 0,1,3.  Right and left side.  Reputation wise he's about being able to penetrate -- pass rush.  He got 2 sacks last year as a part time player. Sack this preseason.   I recall the writes up about him before the 2017 draft -- didn't get many sacks but was a major disrupter.

10 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

And if he had all this hype coming out of college, why did he slide to the sixth round?  From a USA today article, looks like effort again was a factor, along with uncertainty about his true position.  Also had a battery charge hanging over his head that eventually got dismissed.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/101797318

Main reason for the surprise slide was the story out about him at the time that he hit a woman and it was an open case.  Came out just a little before the draft.   Case ended up resolved after the draft and he wasn't charged.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/04/24/gator-brantley-charged-hitting-woman/

This sort of makes the final episode of Hard Knocks a little more interesting. I'm sure Gregg Williams was effusive in his praise of him, er I mean unleashes a tirade of F bombs on him at some point. After seeing our run D in the preseason, I can see why the coaches might want to try and shore things up there a little. 

Archived