Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cut-Down Day

OVCChairman

4 minutes ago, stan-the-redskinfan said:

I know they play different positions, but I’d much rather give a roster spot to Marshall Spaight than Troy Apke.  The latter looked constantly lost on the field to the point of embarrassment. I guess the Redskins don’t won’t to admit they messed up their 4th round pick this year.

I'm guessing the hope with Apke is that he can be a major special teams contributor and they are hoping they don't need him at safety this year. Spaight had a few years to claim a job and Mason Foster isn't exactly London. I think he just failed to improve enough and they thought they've seen him at his best.

8 minutes ago, stan-the-redskinfan said:

I know they play different positions, but I’d much rather give a roster spot to Martrell Spaight than Troy Apke.  The latter looked constantly lost on the field to the point of embarrassment. I guess the Redskins don’t won’t to admit they messed up their 4th round pick this year.

giphy.webp

12 minutes ago, stan-the-redskinfan said:

I know they play different positions, but I’d much rather give a roster spot to Martrell Spaight than Troy Apke.  The latter looked constantly lost on the field to the point of embarrassment. I guess the Redskins don’t won’t to admit they messed up their 4th round pick this year.

No it's just most rookies look lost their first year you know. 

It means the Redskins aren't giving up on him so easily.

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

No it's just most rookies look lost their first year you know. 

It means the Redskins aren't giving up on him so easily.

Not a direct shot at anyone, but I've noticed a trend...

"cut that rookie, we've seen enough"

"man why the hell don't we develop home grown talent"

Sean Taylor may have been cut had it been up to fans... 

The fact we have 10 UDFA's on the roster should disprove the notion we care about draft position. Especially when we cut bait with guys like Cravens, Jones, etc less than three years in.

You just don't cut somebody like Perine too soon. Outside of fumbles (yes it's a big deal but too soon to know definitively if it's a problem) I don't see why you would want to give up on him too soon. I was impressed with some of his runs in pre season. Kelly over Bibbs is more questionable, although both are just guys in all likelihood. But Kelly impressed me vs the Ravens too, so not going to freak out over it.

We need another backup safety and we need another interior OL. Biggest needs going into off season next year: OG, Edge, CB. QB of the future if there. That's a rather small list of needs right there. Let's go get them Skins and shut these haters up!!!

7 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Just saw the Chargers cut their starting center (all 16 games) from last year. 

Does anyine one know where he ranked on pff?

Thanks in advance. 

don't know that ranking stuff, but I looked him up, he started because their regular starter was suspended then released and they'd shifted their backup center to LG.  They signed Mike Pouncey and drafted a center in the fifth round.  So, I'm gong to guess, not high quality.  But if he is he's young enough he had to be waived so there's 12 teams ahead of us.  This guy is not in our future

7 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Just saw the Chargers cut their starting center (all 16 games) from last year. 

Does anyine one know where he ranked on pff?

Thanks in advance. 

Also not sure about his PFF ranking, but this thing on BR has him ranked below all 3 centers we had last year,

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754255-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-centers-of-2017-season#slide2

40. Spencer Pulley, Los Angeles Chargers

Pass Protection: 12/25
Run Block: 14/25
Power: 12/20
Agility: 13/20
Position Value: 6/10
Overall Grade: 57/100

Pulley doesn't have what it takes to be a starting NFL offensive lineman from a pure traits perspective. The Chargers center put forth admirable effort on tape. But big two-gappers can overwhelm him, and he doesn't have the foot speed to match quick one-gap penetrators by himself. He plays through the whistle, and his effort makes him admirable for a depth option.

1 hour ago, Skinarchy said:

Good job Redskins. 

Now cross fingers Bibbs makes it through the wire 

Bibbs isn't subject to waivers. So he could re-sign as soon as the team IR's Marshall. Not sure if that's the plan or not, but the option is right there...

Just now, Jericho said:

Bibbs isn't subject to waivers. So he could re-sign as soon as the team IR's Marshall. Not sure if that's the plan or not, but the option is right there...

Bottom line is the Skins didn't want him on the active roster.  Any other team that wants him will get him simply by putting him on their 53.  There's also good possibility that Simms could sign with another teams PS for slightly better option.  

I just posted this in the FA thread, but it's worth noting that only 3 FA's who were new to the team made the final 53: Paul Richardson, McPhee and AP.  Unless I'm Missing somebody, that's the list. 

So, the FO believes they have a great team, ready to win, only added a second-tier WR, an average OLB, and were forced into a RB because of an injury.

They better be right. 

Otherwise the team is essentially the same as last year minus rookies. 

And of course, Alex Smith vs. Kirk Cousins, who came in a trade. 

28 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Who do you hope for on PS ?

I hope for

Kalis

Cobbs

D. Smith

Pipkins

Texada

Smithson

Iworah

Kling

Robertson

Holtz

and if Bibbs doesn't go to the 53 when Marshall goes on IR, then of course I'd want Bibbs on PS

I like Kidsey to tell you the truth, dude has some burners. I remember that Cam Simms catch vs NE that went for 50 plus yards..He and Kidsey seemed to have run the same route and Kidsey got just as much separation from his guy as Simms did on his..

https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/1027718514197647360

Just now, abdcskins said:

What's the difference between being released and waived? Any at all?

It has to do with tenure.  If you're waived, I believe you have to go through waivers, if released I think you're immediately free.

I could have that completely wrong or backwards.  But there's a subtle difference and it has to do with waivers. 

Just now, abdcskins said:

Players with enough service time (four years) get flat released and are not subject to waivers. They can sign with whoever they want right now.

Players with not enough service time must pass through waivers and may be claimed by any other team. Waivers take about 24 hours

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I just posted this in the FA thread, but it's worth noting that only 3 FA's who were new to the team made the final 53: Paul Richardson, McPhee and AP.  Unless I'm Missing somebody, that's the list. 

So, the FO believes they have a great team, ready to win, only added a second-tier WR, an average OLB, and were forced into a RB because of an injury.

They better be right. 

Otherwise the team is essentially the same as last year minus rookies. 

And of course, Alex Smith vs. Kirk Cousins, who came in a trade. 

"And of course"  All means of acquiring players are valid.  Without AP they still added a RB in the draft

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

if you're waived then for 24 hours you're still operating on the contract you signed with the team that waived you.  You go to the team that claims it and you're working on the same deal.  If you're released you're a free and clear free agent and you have to negotiate a new deal.  And as others have said it's based on time you're been in the league

6 minutes ago, TK said:

Expect Bibbs on the PS unless SF claims him.

he was cut not waived

11 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Bottom line is the Skins didn't want him on the active roster.  Any other team that wants him will get him simply by putting him on their 53.  There's also good possibility that Simms could sign with another teams PS for slightly better option.  

Sims made the team. :)

I wonder if we kept Marshall because we can put him on short-term IR and open another roster spot, a legal way of stashing a player we may need later in the year.

I would be surprised if we made it through the season with only 3 TE's, someone is gonna get nicked up at some point.

I understand using depth to compensate for the inconsistency at RB but I can't imagine we keep 5 RB's on the active roster.

9 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'd imagine the practice squad would ideally look something like this:

1) Hogan/some other QB

2) Some Running back (either a pass catcher if Bibbs/Marshall are cut) or someone to back up Peterson/Kelley if Perine is cut

3) Fullback or FB/TE hybrid like Holtz

4) WR - probably Cobbs?

5) offensive lineman - Kalis? Dunn? Paris?

6) Pete Robertson

7) Jerod Fernandez

8) Safety - Quin Blanding? Smithson? Ladler, if eligible? or even Apke if he ends up cut

9) Cornerback - I'm think Texada may have an edge over Iworah

10) wild card - some draftee that gets cut or maybe someone from outside the organization 

Update this after official cuts, early practice squad guesses:

1) QB - Hogan

2) RB - Bibbs

3) TE/FB - Holtz

4) WR - Cobbs

5) OL - Parris

6) OLB - Roberstons

7) ILB - Fernandez

8) S - Smithson

9) CB - Texada

10) S - Ladler

Archived