Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

10 hours ago, megared said:

He had no business being brought in, in the first place.   

Still holding out hope that we give Dez a call.   I mean what could it hurt at this point?   

I think Dez would be a malcontent cancer here. He wants to be a #1 and get a certain number of targets per game and gets pissed when he doesn't get them. How exactly is that going to work well with Alex Smith's conservative play? The only way I can see him coming here and not being a malcontent is if Gruden literally draws up a certain number of plays per game where Dez is the ONLY player in the receiving progression. 

On 9/19/2018 at 11:26 AM, Bishop Hammer said:

Its more Alex Smith, if the passing game struggles this year.  Big Cuz had the same receiving corp last year, minus Reed and Richardson, and threw for over 4,000 yds.   And behind a make shift offensive line and no running game.  

If Smith is as good or better than Capt Kirk then he should be able to work with them like his predecessor did.  In fact the two best weapons, in Thompson and Reed are available to him.   Neither one made it all the way through the season last year, so Alex has more weapons than the last guy.

To be fair, at his current passing average per game, Smith will have over 4,000 yards as well (though obviously it's still super early in the season). But as I've said for a while now, passing yards on its own is a useless stat if you aren't getting the points to go with it. And we are still seeing our red zone woes which makes me wonder if it's more coaching/playcalling than QB or WR play when it comes to that issue since we've now seen the same problem with 2 QBs in a row.

Edited by mistertim

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think Dez would be a malcontent cancer here. He wants to be a #1 and get a certain number of targets per game and gets pissed when he doesn't get them. How exactly is that going to work well with Alex Smith's conservative play? The only way I can see him coming here and not being a malcontent is if Gruden literally draws up a certain number of plays per game where Dez is the ONLY player in the receiving progression.

Not a chance of that happening here.   He wants a one year contract,  which means he'll be on his best behavior in hopes of landing the next payday.   We have far more to gain,  than anything to lose by giving the guy a shot.   And he'd take pressure and attention off of our current WRs.  Putting the anti-Dallas bias aside,  off the street,  he's a better receiver than anyone we have on our roster, and he'd come cheap.   

I'm not going to condemn Alex's lack of downfield passing yet,  because even when he made on target throws,  our current guys weren't making plays.   Dez drops passes too,  but when he catches them he can be a matchup problem.   And since the front office is committed to winning now,  they need to bolster that group.  Otherwise teams are just going to tee off on Peterson and Thompson.   

3 minutes ago, megared said:

Not a chance of that happening here.   He wants a one year contract,  which means he'll be on his best behavior in hopes of landing the next payday.   We have far more to gain,  than anything to lose by giving the guy a shot.   And he'd take pressure and attention off of our current WRs.  Putting the anti-Dallas bias aside,  off the street,  he's a better receiver than anyone we have on our roster, and he'd come cheap.   

I'm not going to condemn Alex's lack of downfield passing yet,  because even when he made on target throws,  our current guys weren't making plays.   Dez drops passes too,  but when he catches them he can be a matchup problem.   And since the front office is committed to winning now,  they need to bolster that group.  Otherwise teams are just going to tee off on Peterson and Thompson.   

He might be on good behavior for a little while, but a tiger can't change its stripes. Dez is going to eventually be Dez and he'll end up pissed if he doesn't get enough targets and will act out...like he pretty much always has. Another thing is I don't see any specific reason why he'd be hot and bothered to sign here unless he just really wanted to stick it to the Girls or there's literally nobody else that will pay him even a ham sandwich to play for them. It's not like we're a super hot team right now and he knows we have a QB who's very well known for being conservative and a coach who doesn't mind that.

I just don't see either side being that interested. According to another post/link here, apparently Doug Williams said something to the effect of the Skins already have their starters and they don't want Dez because he wants to be one. Assuming that's true (though possibly stupid seeing as how Dez even now is likely better than any of our other guys by a decent margin) then it sounds like a non-starter to me.

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

He might be on good behavior for a little while, but a tiger can't change its stripes. Dez is going to eventually be Dez and he'll end up pissed if he doesn't get enough targets and will act out...like he pretty much always has. Another thing is I don't see any specific reason why he'd be hot and bothered to sign here unless he just really wanted to stick it to the Girls or there's literally nobody else that will pay him even a ham sandwich to play for them. It's not like we're a super hot team right now and he knows we have a QB who's very well known for being conservative and a coach who doesn't mind that.

Not sure if I agree with the Gruden statement. Gruden likes to throw, and I don't think he likes to dink and dunk all that much. I think he'd much rather stretch the field. But then, Dez isn't really a deep threat anymore, either.

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

I just don't see either side being that interested. According to another post/link here, apparently Doug Williams said something to the effect of the Skins already have their starters and they don't want Dez because he wants to be one. Assuming that's true (though possibly stupid seeing as how Dez even now is likely better than any of our other guys by a decent margin) then it sounds like a non-starter to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/09/as-cowboys-struggle-dez-bryant-pictures-himself-with-the-patriots-or-redskins/?utm_term=.c5c92ca12df9

I think Dez has publicly said he'd like to be a Redskin, and yes, just to get back at the 'boys. As to the Williams comment, he's not the one deciding, and kinda like the whole Peterson thing, Dez would be starting as soon as he understood what he was doing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mistertim said:

To be fair, at his current passing average per game, Smith will have over 4,000 yards as well (though obviously it's still super early in the season). But as I've said for a while now, passing yards on its own is a useless stat if you aren't getting the points to go with it. And we are still seeing our red zone woes which makes me wonder if it's more coaching/playcalling than QB or WR play when it comes to that issue since we've now seen the same problem with 2 QBs in a row.

Its probably a combination of both; no big threat WRs and a play caller who doesn't utilize strengths vs weaknesses in the RZ .

With 2 TEs who are taller than the DBs/safeties covering, the typical approach would be to throw the ball high where they can get it, but not on 3rd down.

These next 4 weeks are gonna be a hill that Gruden won't be able to climb unless he digs deep, and  he doesn't dig well.

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Every time audio was released of his 'sideline' outbursts, it was revealed that the narrative was inaccurate.  The guy's a fiery competitor, that doesn't like to lose.  They weren't rants about him not getting the ball. 

Don't forget, him getting dropped by Dallas was purely a cap move.  He wasn't worth a $16.5 M cap number in that offense, where the QB struggled with making intermediate/deep throws (where Dez lives).     And the timing of his release screwed him because a lot of teams had already spent the money they had planned to use in free agency.  

Bottom line is, neither Doctson or Richardson have been particularly effective, they don't scare defenses, and they have left plays on the field.  If we have the opportunity to bring a guy in on a cheap one year contract, why not?  If he causes problems he can be cut.  I'd rather see the front office take a chance on him, than the continued effort to dumpster dive for guys that have never accomplished anything.

Edited by megared
  • Like 1

The FO tried, but we can't create a new WR core in a week. 

GBs zones will limit the short passing game and take away the middle of the field so someone has to take advantage of their matchups this week or we're not getting in the end zone. (Crowder/Richardson/Doc) There will be few 1on1 man opportunities but we have to connect on them when they come. 

Assuming we can't run the ball or don't try. 

Interesting to listen to Hoffman this week as to the receivers.  He says he talks to the scouts on staff.

The gist of is it Trey Quinn is a really good blocker.  When he was lost in the Arizona game it hurt the running game. And he's told Crowder is a really bad blocker.   Merging this and Cooley's film reviews last year he also echoed all their receivers are bad blockers.  I found it interesting because when re-watching the Arizona game I was surprised by all the playing time Quinn got.  It explains things a little.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, Mooka said:

The FO tried, but we can't create a new WR core in a week. 

GBs zones will limit the short passing game and take away the middle of the field so someone has to take advantage of their matchups this week or we're not getting in the end zone. (Crowder/Richardson/Doc) There will be few 1on1 man opportunities but we have to connect on them when they come. 

Assuming we can't run the ball or don't try. 

GB completely re-loaded their secondary, it's not nearly as bad as it has been. We're going to need to run the ball a lot, and effectively. It's going to be a bad field and weather conditions are going to make it more difficult to throw the ball. We also need to keep Rodgers off the field.  Running the ball and having a short, effective passing game is the best way to do this. We just need TD's and not FG's.

27 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

GB completely re-loaded their secondary, it's not nearly as bad as it has been. We're going to need to run the ball a lot, and effectively. It's going to be a bad field and weather conditions are going to make it more difficult to throw the ball. We also need to keep Rodgers off the field.  Running the ball and having a short, effective passing game is the best way to do this. We just need TD's and not FG's.

Richardson being able to play should make me feel better, but it doesnt.   I like quick WRs on bad surfaces, cuz the DBs are slow to react. 

I think the TD situation will be like last week.  We might get 1 or 2.

Edited by justice98
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Not sure if I agree with the Gruden statement. Gruden likes to throw, and I don't think he likes to dink and dunk all that much. I think he'd much rather stretch the field. But then, Dez isn't really a deep threat anymore, either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/09/as-cowboys-struggle-dez-bryant-pictures-himself-with-the-patriots-or-redskins/?utm_term=.c5c92ca12df9

I think Dez has publicly said he'd like to be a Redskin, and yes, just to get back at the 'boys. As to the Williams comment, he's not the one deciding, and kinda like the whole Peterson thing, Dez would be starting as soon as he understood what he was doing.

I agree that Gruden likes to throw but he also doesn't like turnovers so I think he's good with that part of Smith's game.

As for Dez, I dunno if I'd necessarily take him saying what seemed like offhand comments as a big indicator of interest but I suppose it's possible. Either way, unless he really wants to play for the Skins he's still not going to take a lowball deal. He turned down a $7 million per year deal with the Ravens. Apparently he wants closer to what the Girls would have had to pay him which is upwards of 16-17 million. Who the hell is going to pay that for a one year rental? He doesn't want to play on a "show me" contract like other guys who need/want to show that they still have it...he wants to play on a "pay me whatever I want even though I might do nothing or just leave next year" contract. Skins will pass on that pretty hard.

Does anyone actually think Doctson offers more than an over the hill Dez?  Doctson is just ineffective.  He is wasting a roster spot right now.

Today Crowder & Richardson at least justified why they are starting.  It's not like either blew the doors off the barn with their stats, but they at least showed they can have an impact.  What did Doctson do?

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Does anyone actually think Doctson offers more than an over the hill Dez?  Doctson is just ineffective.  He is wasting a roster spot right now.

Today Crowder & Richardson at least justified why they are starting.  It's not like either blew the doors off the barn with their stats, but they at least showed they can have an impact.  What did Doctson do?

Doctson is our draw penalties downfield guy

• Like 1

Doctson is not impressing me, but I'd still ride him for a while because there isn't really much else out that would make for a cheap upgrade. If Dez is cheap I'd be interested, but it sounds like he's not. Nobody else stands out as being better as Doctson. Keep riding him, and see if he breaks out. If he doesn't, plan to get a new starter next time one's out there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I agree that Gruden likes to throw but he also doesn't like turnovers so I think he's good with that part of Smith's game.

As for Dez, I dunno if I'd necessarily take him saying what seemed like offhand comments as a big indicator of interest but I suppose it's possible. Either way, unless he really wants to play for the Skins he's still not going to take a lowball deal. He turned down a $7 million per year deal with the Ravens. Apparently he wants closer to what the Girls would have had to pay him which is upwards of 16-17 million. Who the hell is going to pay that for a one year rental? He doesn't want to play on a "show me" contract like other guys who need/want to show that they still have it...he wants to play on a "pay me whatever I want even though I might do nothing or just leave next year" contract. Skins will pass on that pretty hard.

I think he might realize by now he's not getting that kind of money, and that if he wants to play at all, it's going to be a big pay cut. Similar to what Hankins had to do. With Hankins being in his prime, as opposed to Dez being past his prime. If he's still gonna hold out for 15+ million, he can keep waiting. If he wants to come in for like 4-5 million? I'd sign him.

What is infuriating is that the FO really do much to address the WR corps that is was really weak in 2017. And honestly, I'd bench Doctson and start Harris at this point. At least Harris will block.

I really with I could be in the film room and see whats going on with Docton, are teams THAT worried about him they take him out of the game and it leaves things open for others, is he getting open and Smith just isn't finding him. Is he screwing up routes and losing the trust of coaches and Smith. Is it just he can't beat anyone unless its a 50/50 jump ball..I mean he doesn't catch those comeback out routes like Henry Ellard, he doesn't catch deep slant or stop routes. He'll catch an occasional short slant that gets no YAC or deep bomb..Is dude in the end a 1 trick pony??

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I really don't get what's up with Doctson. I've defended him since he did have a decent statistical year last season and flashed some promise but so far this year he's an absolute ghost. 

Yeah, i don’t know what’s going on with him. Wish i knew. Like you, i have also been defending him due to his 6 TDs last year and him making some good catches. I do hope he can start making plays for this team soon. Like, REAL soon. Kinda starting to sour on him. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah, i don’t know what’s going on with him. Wish i knew. Like you, i have also been defending him due to his 6 TDs last year and him making some good catches. I do hope he can start making plays for this team soon. Like, REAL soon. Kinda starting to sour on him. 

I am basically where you are however he did draw some PI calls earlier. They were basically mugging him, especially in the EZ. I also saw him getting more involved in blocking, especially when Alex took off. But he does need to find more ways to contribute. Let's see how it goes moving forward. If Richardson emerges as the deep threat we expect, Josh should get some chances. Hopefully he makes good use of them and makes some plays.