Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I think Snyder said do something now or you're all fired. He needs butts in those empty seats.  This is a desperation move. And desperation moves rarely work.  We weren't as good as we thought we were after we beat-up on the Cardinals.  And we're not as bad as we think we are after we got beat-up by the Colts.  The Packers should beat us, but that was always the expectation, right?  Let's get a grip, even't if management can't.

I think the D Jax love is a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction.  Just like how a lot of Redskins fans were ready to punch their ticket to the playoffs last week but are now calling to clean house, a lot of fans will be singing a different tune in 2 weeks when D Jax is on the shelf with another injury.  

The timing wasn't right to give d-jax and Garcon the money that they received. We are better off letting them walk. Garcon didn't make it through the year last year and d jax didn't do much last season. A big play or a good game here and there isn't going to change that.  And over paying for older broken down wide receivers isn't the best long term answer although our wide receiver unit has a lot of room for improvement at the moment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think the D Jax love is a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction.  Just like how a lot of Redskins fans were ready to punch their ticket to the playoffs last week but are now calling to clean house, a lot of fans will be singing a different tune in 2 weeks when D Jax is on the shelf with another injury.  

The timing wasn't right to give d-jax and Garcon the money that they received. We are better off letting them walk. Garcon didn't make it through the year last year and d jax didn't do much last season. A big play or a good game here and there isn't going to change that.  And over paying for older broken down wide receivers isn't the best long term answer although our wide receiver unit has a lot of room for improvement at the moment.

Sir, how are we better off without them? Yeah u can chalk up what they did after they left as not much but those guys put up numbers for this team with them we were one of the best offenses in the game many games were lost due to a historically terrible defense otherwise the last year they were here I believe we would have one 11 games 

I don't understand why the team just figured out our WR group was weak, it was the most glaring problem IMO and I'm no football scout.

The way people feel about Bruce Allen is the same way I feel about Josh Doctson, especially after watching film on him in the first 2 games of this season.

We're in serious trouble at this position going forward, the only way we will get out of WR hell is to draft someone because free agency is weak for WR's next year but WR has to be one of the toughest positions to nail in the draft.

We need to find our own version of "Uncle Drew", pull people off the street, have an open tryout, do something.

30 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Same. Can't believe so many people on here claimed he was just a one trick pony and one-dimensional. His production could easily be replaced. Yeah right.

The dude has arguably been the best deep threat in football since Randy Moss retired. His ability to track deep passes and adjust was second-to-none. That's a skill not many fast guys have. Not to mention he runs excellent sharp routes that break CB's ankles.

Big mistake letting him go.

I agree. The only is with him is his health. But that hasnt been a huge issue the past couple of seasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Today's wr moves remind me of when we signed Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, and Shaun Alexander.  They all offer name recognition and little else. 

At least they all used to be good 3 years before we got them. Now we're getting people who's name recognition is off of how bad a bust they were. I mean, why were we even working out Paxton Lynch?

16 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't understand why the team just figured out our WR group was weak, it was the most glaring problem IMO and I'm no football scout.

The way people feel about Bruce Allen is the same way I feel about Josh Doctson, especially after watching film on him in the first 2 games of this season.

We're in serious trouble at this position going forward, the only way we will get out of WR hell is to draft someone because free agency is weak for WR's next year but WR has to be one of the toughest positions to nail in the draft.

We need to find our own version of "Uncle Drew", pull people off the street, have an open tryout, do something.

“I know how to get out of WR hell: Draft 2 WRs + a pass catching TE I’m the second round. CHAMPIONSHIP!” - Vinny. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Sir, how are we better off without them? Yeah u can chalk up what they did after they left as not much but those guys put up numbers for this team with them we were one of the best offenses in the game many games were lost due to a historically terrible defense otherwise the last year they were here I believe we would have one 11 games 

D Jax 50-668-3 last year at age 30/31 after getting a 3 yr 33 mil contract with 20 mil guaranteed. I think that awesome play he made on the first play of the game yesterday is making a lot of people forget he was a prime candidate to be cut in the off-season after the first year of that contract.  (Take away that play and he had 3/54)  He was even in concussion protocol last week.  He always has an ailment, and he is only getting older. 

Garcon signed for 5 yrs 47.5 mil with 20 mil guaranteed.  His stats were 40/500/0 TDS while missing 8 games due to injury.  He is now 32 years old.

I loved d Jax and Garcon and what they did as Redskins, but you referencing what they did while they were here in their prime has nothing to do with the decision you have regarding whether to pay them top of the line money for future production as they enter their 30s.  How can that be sound, yet paying deion, carrier and Bruce smith for their twilight years is a constant reference for how the skins don't know how to build a winner.  

I am as frustrated as anyone with the game yesterday and how awful our passing game has looked thus far, but overpaying two aging receivers bc of how well they did in the past is foolish. Those contracts would have us at the point where if we wanted to resign a Crowder or a Preston smith, or give an extension to a scherff before his value soars, we wouldn't be able to bc all our cap room would have evaporated.  I know the timing after a loss as bad as yesterday isn't going to make my take a popular opinion at the moment, but I don't see how you can justify bringing both of those guys back at that price at this point of their careers.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Put Jordan Reed in the slot, VD and Sprinkle at TE and Crowder and PRich on the outside, get creative your jobs are on the line.

We don’t believe in deviating from the plan here.  

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Take away that play and he had 3/54)

Which is still better than any WR on the Skins in either week 1 or week 2. 

37 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

I think Snyder said do something now or you're all fired. He needs butts in those empty seats.  This is a desperation move. And desperation moves rarely work.  We weren't as good as we thought we were after we beat-up on the Cardinals.  And we're not as bad as we think we are after we got beat-up by the Colts.  The Packers should beat us, but that was always the expectation, right?  Let's get a grip, even't if management can't.

Not your fault, but I chortle a little bit when I see the word "management" used to describe this dumpster fire of an organization. It's about the furthest thing from a properly managed team I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Between that and being one of the team poking around for trading for Gordon -- they seem to be in code red mode on WR. 

Pure panic. 

That's the best way to manage a team.

26 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

At least they all used to be good 3 years before we got them. Now we're getting people who's name recognition is off of how bad a bust they were. I mean, why were we even working out Paxton Lynch?

I know, those guys they tried out today have all proven they don't belong in the NFL.  I'd rather give the roster spot to an up-and-comer who may actually pan out. 

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

But is that worth 11 mil?

Yes.  If you include the first catch. The thing is, DJax is a force multiplier.  Defenses HAVE to respect his speed so he always draws attention from 2 guys.  That opens up the middle of the field and loosens the defense.

Since he left, the Skins offense takes place primarily within 20 yards of the LOS.  Opponents know that, and it’s easier to defend.

You have to be more creative in the running game, and you have to use him correctly, but he’s worth it.  

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

But is that worth 11 mil?

Jackson covered up a lot of inefficiencies in this offense.  You couldn't drop safeties in the box and leave him one on one.  Right now, we don't even have receivers that can consistently beat their man, let alone zone coverages.

The main reason he had a down season was because he had Winston as a QB, who didn't know how to get him the ball in space. I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers dip again, should Winston be named the starter after his suspension.

We already knew that Cousins was capable of getting Jackson the ball down the field.  And if we had approached him before he hit free agency, we probably could've gotten him for less than ~$11 M per.  

Either way, it's inexcusable to go from two very good receivers, to zero...then act surprised the passing game isn't working.  Nobody but homers thought P-Rich and Doctson would be able to replace that production, considering they never had before.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes.  If you include the first catch. The thing is, DJax is a force multiplier.  Defenses HAVE to respect his speed so he always draws attention from 2 guys.  That opens up the middle of the field and loosens the defense.

Since he left, the Skins offense takes place primarily within 20 yards of the LOS.  Opponents know that, and it’s easier to defend.

You have to be more creative in the running game, and you have to use him correctly, but he’s worth it.  

I agree that 4/126 is worth 11 mil, especially while you are opening up things for the rest of your offense even if you're not catching the ball. But that's why I said I believe this is a knee-jerk reaction, because those games aren't coming from d Jax very often these days.  But it did happen yesterday so that's why everyone is praising him today.  Do you believe last year's performance was worth 11 mil?  No way.  Like I said, I love what dJax did while he was here I just don't feel like he is going to justify that contract.  Time will tell.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I agree that 4/126 is worth 11 mil, especially while you are opening up things for the rest of your offense even if you're not catching the ball. But that's why I said I believe this is a knee-jerk reaction, because those games aren't coming from d Jax very often these days.  But it did happen yesterday so that's why everyone is praising him today.  Do you believe last year's performance was worth 11 mil?  No way.  Like I said, I love what dJax did while he was here I just don't feel like he is going to justify that contract.  Time will tell.

We spent 8 million on a player who did nothing so yes I do think 11 mil is worth it for djax 

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Today's wr moves remind me of when we signed Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, and Shaun Alexander.  They all offer name recognition and little else. 

or it could be the offensive equivalent of signing Will Blackmon and Mason Foster when injuries necessitated it.  Blackmon gave us a couple of good years and Foster is still tearing it up.

when Floyd was released by the Cards fans wanted us to sign him.  And as much baggage as he has it seems like less than Gordon

Just now, KillBill26 said:

It was worth a shot because he was here already, knew the offense, and the replacement plan was Ryan Freaking Grant and Josh Doctson.  Prior was brought in to backup Doctson.  

So yeah, if that’s your other solution, then I’d take a shot with DJax.

My question is just how it took the FO until week 3 of 2018 to see what most fans saw before game 1 of 2017: the WR on the team range from above average (Crowder) to suck.  

I was screaming in the off season they needed to sign 2 WRs who could play, one A-lister and one vet.  They signed a “B” FA and counted on Doctson, Crowder and a few others to step up.

if losing an UFA and Mr. Irrelevant tosses the position into complete flux, you’ve done something very wrong.

• Like 1

I think if there is one thing fans should stop doing it’s worrying about salary cap figures.  We will never understand the complexities of it nor how to efficiently manage it.  I understand that as Redskins fans that were witness to Vinny and Dans spending sprees there is some bad history there.  It just seems like Skins fans look at big contracts like the boogeyman ever since.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, carex said:

or it could be the offensive equivalent of signing Will Blackmon and Mason Foster when injuries necessitated it.  Blackmon gave us a couple of good years and Foster is still tearing it up.

when Floyd was released by the Cards fans wanted us to sign him.  And as much baggage as he has it seems like less than Gordon

Blackmon and Foster were always considered solid depth, and never considered the worst of their class. Likewise, I don't have a big problem with Malcolm Floyd, he's mediocre but that's generally what you get for a 4th string WR. Perriman was the WORST receiver in the NFL. That isn't mediocre, that's horrible. I'd rather just do a flavor of the week game of 'which WR do we sign this week' than waste time on Perriman.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

We spent 8 million on a player who did nothing so yes I do think 11 mil is worth it for djax 

time will tell on Richardson too, and that could very well turn out to be an awful contract.  He has only played 2 games and is still only 26 years old.  But I don't see the reasoning in thinking Jackson's contract is a good one because it may be better than what could be an awful one.

From what I remember when Garcon & D-Jax were both free agents, Garcon was asking for a lot more than the front office was offering but D-Jax only got a few million more from Tampa then we were offering.  

We could have retained one of the two. I really think the front office drafted Doctson in anticipation of them both leaving and assumed with Crowder emerging in the slot, and Dotson being a 1st rounder, we could fill in the gap via free agency.  Ryan Grant was still younger at the time and maybe Gruden felt he could be developed. 

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

time will tell on Richardson too, and that could very well turn out to be an awful contract.  He has only played 2 games and is still only 26 years old.  But I don't see the reasoning in thinking Jackson's contract is a good one because it may be better than what could be an awful one.

I’m talking about Terrell Pryor Sr