Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

So the Skins go out and get Perryman and Floyd. Both are big WR. Just the way Gruden likes them. Problem is they are not explosive IMO. We'll see, but I believe they need at least one smaller, quick twitch receiver that can explode off the line and get into his route with separation. I don't believe that guy is on the roster. Some may say Crowder is that guy. Problem is, he puts the ball on the ground way too much for my taste. I'd like one 5'10 - 5'11 explosive dog on this team. One with a chip and some fire (alah Steve Smith or Tana Man).

BTW, with the moves the Redskins are making, its clear this is a make or break year for this staff. On another note, the Redskins were in on the Gordon deal. They were just slow to pull the trigger and the Pats got 'em. A 5th round pick. ****!!!

28 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

time will tell on Richardson too, and that could very well turn out to be an awful contract.  He has only played 2 games and is still only 26 years old.  But I don't see the reasoning in thinking Jackson's contract is a good one because it may be better than what could be an awful one.

Tampa can get out of Jackson's contract after this season, with zero cap hit.  Otherwise, next season his cap number is $10 M.  We're hoping and praying Richardson develops into something (that he hasn't flashed to date), because we gain nothing monetarily from cutting him until 2021.  

Put it this way, in 2016, DJax had more 40+ yard catches, than Richardson has had in his career.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, megared said:

Jackson covered up a lot of inefficiencies in this offense.  You couldn't drop safeties in the box and leave him one on one.  Right now, we don't even have receivers that can consistently beat their man, let alone zone coverages.

The main reason he had a down season was because he had Winston as a QB, who didn't know how to get him the ball in space. I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers dip again, should Winston be named the starter after his suspension.

We already knew that Cousins was capable of getting Jackson the ball down the field.  And if we had approached him before he hit free agency, we probably could've gotten him for less than ~$11 M per.  

Do you think cousins would've stayed if we resigned d Jax?  No way.  So the cousins to D Jax connection is irrelevant.  A lot of people are knocking Alex smith for all the check downs yesterday.  So to say d jax production was limited last year because his quarterback couldn't get him the ball in space, but to expect that Alex Smith would go from dinking and dunking to airing it out to D jax if he were here is ironic.  I'm assuming you think if d-jax was on this team yesterday, Alex Smith would have looked like a completely different QB and would have been airing it out?  That's a pretty drastic assumption.  Because if not, Alex Smith would still be dinking and dunking and we would be paying djax 11 mil for what?

And not to get off track, but that would also kind of imply that Alex Smith bears zero responsibility for the passing game woes bc "he is only taking what the WRs are creating for him".  Maybe that's true. But I don't think it makes sense for skins fans to say it's Smith fault for not attacking down field, while also saying it's the wide receivers fault for not getting open (not that you are saying that, but that seems to be the vibe here).  If the wide receivers are not getting open, and Smith was forcing bad throws into coverage, that would be a lot worse than dinking and dunking.  

19 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I’m talking about Terrell Pryor Sr

My bad, yes he was awful.  but the one and only positive out of that entire situation was that they did a one-year deal and the contract didn't limit their future free agent choices.  

• Like 1

I think had we kept Jackson, our WR positional depth wouldn't be as dire, and the JAGs we have lining up currently would look a lot better.  Last season when Cousins was still here, that would've certainly translated to more production from the position.  I mean Jackson's production this year with Tampa has already exceeded Pryor's total 2017 contribution to the Redskins.    

We know Cousins left because of money...but perhaps it was made even easier when he saw the team gut the WR position for no good reason.  It's not like they let DJax and Garcon walk to offer him the contract he desired. 

Alex Smith also showed last season that he'll air it out, if his guy is open.  Tyreek Hill had 8 games with catches over 40 yards.  Yesterday I don't recall seeing very many plays where our receivers got more than minimal separation, which has never been a knock on Jackson.  And even if Alex Smith wouldn't have targeted Jackson as much as everyone would've liked, defenses would have played us differently because they have to respect him.  That means no teeing off on the short stuff, no extra man in the box.  Right now teams really don't even respect our passing game, because no one is a downfield, take the top off the defense threat.

Bruce outsmarted himself, and the savings we realized hasn't translated into a better roster, or more wins.  Just another position that we needlessly have to scramble to address.  

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

Snyder realizes that dink & dunk doesn't fill seats.  The franchise FO seems to be in panic mode --looking for any deep threat WR they can find.  CHUCK IT DEEEEP!!  (And if it's complete, the fans will get back onboard.)

Snyder's sending Redskins 1 to pick up Rex Grossman right now

Dink & Dunk would fill seats if the end of drives were TDs.   They actually racked up a fair amount of yardage against the Colts but the drives kept stalling.  That sure sounds familiar.

The signing of WR's is pretty much an acknowledgement that what the coaches are seeing on tape is a lack of talent, not effort or mistakes.  They must be watching film and seeing that the WRs on this team simply can't win their matchups and there is no coaching that will fix that.  Otherwise why in the hell would ever entertain signing either of these WR's?  It's not like they were on anyone's radar.

If this isn't the hail mary miracle the coaching staff needs, it is going to look even worse and they will probably be gone at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Had a contrarian thought this morning. What if our receiving corps was fine? What if it's actually good? What if the problem is that Smith and the receivers just have had no opportunity to get on the same page and get their timing down? What if the preseason fears that many of us expressed is the reason for our wide receivers slow start?

1 hour ago, Probos said:

Moves for super-scrap-heapers like this not even 3 weeks into the season are always made by top tier NFL teams, right?  Right?!!?

disappointed-head-shake-gif-10.gif

just to make a point... New England signed Corey Coleman and traded for Josh Gordon.  They released Coleman to make the room.   Rumor also that we were heavily involved in a possible trade for Gordon and possibly just got out-dealt with NE giving up a 5th rounder.  

You're right, it definitely is concerning, but I don't think we have some idea that Perriman and Floyd are going to come in here and somehow become 1000 yard WR.  We lost 2 depth players to IR in Quinn and Sims.   JP from the Junkies made the suggestion that these guys are just that.... depth guys.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Curious if anyone has actually watched the coaches tape before claiming this is all the receivers fault?

Dont mistake that for me defending our receivers.  I’m just actually curious what it looked like.

I did and it is on the receivers. Too many dropped passes they look like they are all 50-50 to catch the ball. The Reed fumble. There is plenty of blame to rest on the receivers hands before looking elsewhere imo

30 minutes ago, carex said:

Smith didn't have a lot of time, but they could have tried shorter routes to the WRs

Shorter routes only would play into the dink and dunk offense and make the opposing team stack the box and rush more. The receivers need to hold onto the ball and make plays with there legs to open the offense up

18 minutes ago, carex said:

did we IR Kelley for the second of these moves, or let go of someone like Ladler, considering we're carrying one more DB than we were to start the season

Looking around. I know that cut WR Chesson. I don't see that Kelley has been IR'd yet, or see any fresh cuts otherwise. :wacko:

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Well the Perryman and Floyd signings are really going to get them missing fans back aren't they. Allen your a ******* disgrace 

HTTR 

Its like when a girl who is a 6 or 7 goes out with her ugly friends. After a couple of beers she is a 9 or 10 by comparison. Doctson, by virtue of finding the only pair of wideouts in FA that may be worse than he is, becomes the 10. That is how we roll. sad