Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

28 minutes ago, -JB- said:

He is over the hill.  He wouldn’t come in and be overly productive in this offense anyway.  Not worth the risk.

I don't get this narrative.  He had 69 catches for 838 yards last year and 6 touchdowns.  Yeah, he's not a gamebreaker like he used to be.  If by saying he's over the hill you mean he's not a pro bowl receiver, then I'd agree.

There's no doubt he'd be better than Doctson in any offense.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't get this narrative.  He had 69 catches for 838 yards last year and 6 touchdowns.  Yeah, he's not a gamebreaker like he used to be.  If by saying he's over the hill you mean he's not a pro bowl receiver, then I'd agree.

There's no doubt he'd be better than Doctson in any offense.  

And I think we're seeing now that the QB in Dallas probably wasnt doing much to help the perception of Dez.  

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Does Dez play teams? Of course he doesn't, so I am not sure he would be welcomed as a 4/5 here. Only if we needed a starter, would we entertain bringing in that headcase, IMO. 

News flash: We need a starter. At this point I, being almost 50, with 2 neck surgeries, one back surgery, and bad knees, would be as productive as Josh Doctson. And I would at least block on running plays. Or try to anyways.

Or we can just start calling him Casper.

Edited by Morneblade

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

News flash: We need a starter. At this point I, being almost 50, with 2 neck surgeries, one back surgery, and bad knees, would be as productive as Josh Doctson. And I would at least block on running plays. Or try to anyways.

Or we can just start calling him Casper.

2-1 tied for first place... I am not so sure Jay thinks we need a starter that doesn't know our playbook.

Had Alex thrown 55 passes yesterday, and Doctson didn't get any official targets, than perhaps we could be more concerned. 

I think the formula to win this year is via the running game, and defense.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

2-1 tied for first place... I am not so sure Jay thinks we need a starter that doesn't know our playbook.

Had Alex thrown 55 passes yesterday, and Doctson didn't get any official targets, than perhaps we could be more concerned. 

That's been the Alex Smith formula for over a decade. However, to help keep from defenses putting 8-9 in the box, you need to keep them honest, or when you need a 3 and 7.

Having a reliable guy that can go across the middle and be physical there is important. And, that is Dez to a tee.

Edit: right now Doctson is catching footballs at a 38% clip. Richardson is the next lowest at 64%. I'm sorry, he should not be out there.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

That's been the Alex Smith formula for over a decade. However, to help keep from defenses putting 8-9 in the box, you need to keep them honest, or when you need a 3 and 7.

Having a reliable guy that can go across the middle and be physical there is important. And, that is Dez to a tee.

That is the on the field Dez.   What about the off the field.

But again without knowing our playbook, I am hesitant to deem any WR added to our roster mid season, reliable.  WRs just don't seem to change teams mid-season often, and become an instant productive starter.  Can anyone name the last 3 WRs to change teams mid season, and became a productive starter? I will take even 1 in the past 3 years.

I suspect Jay puts a premium on WRs that know the playbook. I think Josh Doctson is running the routes he is asked to thus far. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

By seasons end, I really hope some beat writer takes the time to put together film and break down what is going on w Doct.

Is he not getting separation? Are we misusing him? Kirk and now Alex dont seem to involve him.

I have to think its lack of separation. I dont think he is the fastest guy out there and he had those achillies/foot injuries so it must be separation and QBs just turn down his route .. but weve heard in every PS how great his route running and footwork is.

I need some definitive answers here by seasons end. I need closure on this enigma.

Is he still limited from that prior injury that lasted 2 years? Maybe idk.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

That is the on the field Dez.   What about the off the field.

But again without knowing our playbook, I am hesitant to deem any WR added to our roster mid season, reliable.  WRs just don't seem to change teams mid-season often, and become an instant productive starter.  Can anyone name the last 3 WRs to change teams mid season, and became a productive starter? I will take even 1 in the past 3 years.

I suspect Jay puts a premium on WRs that know the playbook. I think Josh Doctson is running the routes he is asked to thus far. 

At this point I don't care about the Dez in the locker room, and I'll tell you why. Outside of Peterson, there isn't one guy on the offensive side that seems all that motivated. In fact, they need some fire, and I'm not a rah rah guy. Gruden is not going to supply it, that for sure. Alex doesn't. in fact the only guy that will get into someones face and let them know they are stinking up the join is Peterson, and even he is not going to do a bunch of that. So, I say, we need a couple of guys that when, in the 2nd half...we start taking our foot off the gas and this team it lets a team back in the game, to get people motivated to finish the deal.

The playbook is a different kettle of fish. He can't play until he can least understand the verbage enough to not screw up 70% of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

At this point I don't care about the Dez in the locker room, and I'll tell you why. Outside of Peterson, there isn't one guy on the offensive side that seems all that motivated. In fact, they need some fire, and I'm not a rah rah guy.....

Maybe the players are taking on the identity of Alex Smith, or Jay to some extent. When Reed broke off his route leading to the INT, Alex Smith was hot under the collar and screaming on the sidelines.  Fire is good and fine, at the right time. Let's see how Alex leads.... he seems more a leader so thus far than Kirk ever was.

Another concern of mine over Dez, he will be complaining early and often that he is not getting targeted to his liking.... all code for playing for his next contract.

Edited by RandyHolt

Maybe the players are taking on the identity of Alex Smith, or Jay to some extent. When Reed broke off his route leading to the INT, Alex Smith was hot under the collar and screaming on the sidelines.  Fire is good and fine, at the right time. Let's see how Alex leads.... he seems more a leader so thus far than Kirk ever was.

I"m not so sure about the "leadership" thing. Alex doesn't say much. I did like it when he got angry about Reed just stopping his route, but he didn't say anything to Reed, either.

Another concern of mine over Dez, he will be complaining early and often that he is not getting targeted to his liking.... all code for playing for his next contract.

Like I said earlier, I'm not worried about this. Part of it is because I think he's had eyes opened during this offseason and now, season. "You ain't that guy anymore, and you just can't go to another team". I think it was a slap of reality.

But even if say, he gets all mouthy about targets? You cut his ass, and he sits for the year. I suppose I should say, I would not sign him for 8 million either. He'd have to take a much lower deal, and have to "prove he can handle himself" clause in the contract. So, if he becomes a issue, he's gone, and it doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

The only receivers they have that can make plays are Reed and CT which isn't good.  Richardson made a great TD catch but I need to see more.  The only reason Doctson is still here is because he's a former 1st round pick and that's it.  The highlight of his entire career was the long catch vs Seattle last year.  IMO, they need to cut the cord and move on.  

• Like 1

Doctson has 5 catches for 48 yards through 3 games.

At this point, regardless of how good or bad our offense looks week to week, you have to ask yourself, why isn't he contributing?  As much as I'd like to think the guy could pan out, most players that develop into solid contributors aren't finishing games with 0 catches for 0 yards unless the defense is completely geared towards stopping them.  And I don't think anyone would argue that to be the case with him.  

At this point with our current personnel, we'd be better off running 2 TE sets and utilizing both Reed & Davis, and possibly bolstering the run game.  

Or we could sign a certain receiver that would love to stick it to the Cowboys twice a year, prove that he's still capable of playing at a high level, and possibly set himself up for a big payday next season.  Seems like the Redskins would hold all of the cards in that scenario.  

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

By seasons end, I really hope some beat writer takes the time to put together film and break down what is going on w Doct.

Is he not getting separation? Are we misusing him? Kirk and now Alex dont seem to involve him.

I have to think its lack of separation. I dont think he is the fastest guy out there and he had those achillies/foot injuries so it must be separation and QBs just turn down his route .. but weve heard in every PS how great his route running and footwork is.

I need some definitive answers here by seasons end. I need closure on this enigma.

Is he still limited from that prior injury that lasted 2 years? Maybe idk.

I think it's all on Doctson. Kirk and Alex both are going to go to the guys that are:

1. open

2. they trust to make tough catches if they are not.

Doctson is neither. He's not fast, and he's not physical. And regardless of all the reports from camp, I don't think he runs routes that well. Certainly not well enough to get separation. And, he's not going to make a tough catch when he's covered either. He's been targeted 13 times, and only has 5 catches. By comparison, Richardson has 14 targets and 9 catches. And Richardson is the 2nd lowest catch % on the roster.

Fun Fact. Josh Doctson has been targeted more than Jamison Crowder.  And has gotten us more first downs.

But I don't think Doctson has been a big part of the 3 game plans. It's been all about getting the run game going.  Jay probably cares more about his run blocking yesterday, than lack of a reception.  CT only had 1 catch yesterday. Game plans, matchups, and game flow dictate if and when a WR gets their targets. 

Josh is in the dog house right now because he short armed a ball 2 weeks ago, and because he hasn't been productive to the expectations we formed on him because he was a first rounder.

Edited by RandyHolt

16 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Josh Norman for Antonio Brown.... they need DB's, we need a good receiver...

I think that would work..................if we also threw in a 1st rounder.

No way is Norman worth AB. AB is probably the best WR in the NFL and Norman isn't even a top 10 corner anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

We're 3 games in, there's no doubt in my mind that this WR situation will rear it's ugly head at an inconvenient moment later in the season.  This is a 'need to be proactive' situation. 

So far, it hasn't mattered because of how the first 3 games played out individually.  We haven't needed the WRs, but we will.  You always do. And we won't have the horses thinking Doctson is gonna help us.