Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 hour ago, Bishop Hammer said:

Right the same group that helped the last guy put up 4000+ yds suddenly drops off in one year.  The same...exact...group? With added weapons? And most of these recievers were around the year before where they also was part of a unit that amassed over 4,000 yds.  Theres only one new ingredient this year.  

And as I recall a lot of folks were raving the recievers here made the QB.  That the system was so good anyone could be plugged in and get the same results that Cousins got.  Right now thats not looking like the case?

I'm not saying Smith is a failure because its only 2 games into the season but I don't see him putting uo high stats? The team may still win and make the playoffs, which I hope happens but lets not misplace blame.

I don't think anybody was saying the receivers made the QB last year.  Maybe prior to that, but I think Kirk proved it wasn't the receivers.  The top 4 WRs for most of the year were Crowder, Doctson, Pryor, and Grant.  And none of them were very good last year.  The fact that Kirk put up the numbers he did was amazing.

It's just too early to judge what the numbers will project to.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

And he protected the football.  Did you know Garcon had one fumble in 5 years as a Redskin?  Not lost fumbles, just putting it on the ground at all.  Crowder put it on the ground 6 times last year all by himself.  So far, in 2 games, no fumbles by a WR, so there's that.

Did not know that.  Impressive.  One fumble in 5 years.

We'll the side issue with the receiving crops is Alex Smith just hasn't ever made a WR look better than they really are. If you think of the elite guys they all take average WRs and make them look great. In Smith's entire career he's never done that. I think he's had WRs do well, but those were always individually talented guys like Hill, Crabtree and Maclin, but they never had their 'big season' with catching passes from Smith. 

IMO Kirk could sort of do that, which makes this entire corp look worse. 

Anyway, unless something changes there will be some dark days ahead.  

On 9/19/2018 at 3:34 PM, OVCChairman said:

Makes more sense why we grabbed Perriman.... 

Why? He's terrible! See below!

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Washington releases WR Breshad Perriman per source. The team indicated it could bring him back in the future.

• Haha 1

Gotta be stressful knowing that if you drop a pass in practice, you’re liable to be cut immediately.  Not saying that’s what happened to Perriman, but still...

Edit - I’m glad they called up Bibbs.  Here’s hoping they put him in for a couple/few plays to reduce the hits on Thompson.  

Edited by skinny21

Just now, skinny21 said:

Gotta be stressful knowing that if you drop a pass in practice, you’re liable to be cut immediately.  Not saying that’s what happened to Perriman, but still...

Well, there is a reason he got cut as a 1st round draft pick by the Ravens a couple years ago. He drops A LOT of balls. Just like Josh Doctson. Maybe next year, the Ravens will try to do the same thing with Doctson.................................after we cut him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, megared said:

He had no business being brought in, in the first place.   

Still holding out hope that we give Dez a call.   I mean what could it hurt at this point?   

I wasn't a fan of bringing Dez in earlier.

Right now, fire up Redskins One. He might not run go routes that well, but he will still go over the middle and not drop as many as Doctson, and maybe he will help fire this team up. Because it's too passive on offense.

Although I heard AD say that the team absolutely would not come out flat this week. And I'm guessing he is going to have something to say about it.

But yeah, I'd bring Dez in at this point. At least he's been productive at some point.

Edited by Morneblade

Skins have to many nicked players that they can afford to carry a lot of guys who can't play because of unfamiliarity.  Right now they only have three healthy and familiar with the offense WRs, Crowder, Doctson, Quick.  At least Bibbs gives them someone who can catch this week

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Galdi who replayed Doug's segment on Doc Walker.  Interestingly, Doug flat out said they tried to trade for Josh Gordon but came just short of NE.  The way he put it is they came in 2nd in the deal -- 2nd best offer. 

NE got him for a 5th. If we had gone in with only a 5th, we'd win, because the Browns know we're going to finish behind the Pats in the standings.

Our offer sucked. Probably a Ham Sammich. :P

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

NE got him for a 5th. If we had gone in with only a 5th, we'd win, because the Browns know we're going to finish behind the Pats in the standings.

Our offer sucked. Probably a Ham Sammich. :P

Pretty much. Not only that, but New England got a 7th rounder back. It's not even conditional anymore. You know New England's 5th is going to be towards the end of the round. Cleveland's 7th may or may not be early in the round, but it essentially nets to a mid-to-late sixth round pick. Not hard to top that offer if you really wanted to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Pretty much. Not only that, but New England got a 7th rounder back. It's not even conditional anymore. You know New England's 5th is going to be towards the end of the round. Cleveland's 7th may or may not be early in the round, but it essentially nets to a mid-to-late sixth round pick. Not hard to top that offer if you really wanted to.

Exactly. We really didn't try at all.

1 hour ago, ksun247 said:

Already? DAMN! Perriman, we hardly knew ye! 

I can only guess that Perriman was brought in as Richardson insurance for the week. It seemed odd to roster 7 receivers and outside of Brian Quick, not sure any of them are any good on special teams. Now that it seems Richardson will play, I guess Floyd won out over Perriman to stay as Floyd's actually accomplished things in this league

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Exactly, seems like Perriman and Floyd were pitted against each other for one spot, with three days of practice to prove their worth.  Every play counted

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I wasn't a fan of bringing Dez in earlier.

Right now, fire up Redskins One. He might not run go routes that well, but he will still go over the middle and not drop as many as Doctson, and maybe he will help fire this team up. Because it's too passive on offense.

Although I heard AD say that the team absolutely would not come out flat this week. And I'm guessing he is going to have something to say about it.

But yeah, I'd bring Dez in at this point. At least he's been productive at some point.

I agree with this. I was against signing Dez for chemistry issues, but you what, if the skins come out flat vs g bay, we have got nothing to lose.  There will be a lot of individuals, both coaches and players, who will have their job on the line, so what's to lose to bringing in Dez and see if he can open some things up or light a fire under some of these guys.  And if it doesn't work out, Dez will be shown the door, and many others will probably be shown the door in the months after and we are starting fresh yet again.  Probably worth a shot if there is another dysmal offensive performance.  

Been saying this for weeks never more truer then today. Why does the front office constantly wait for emergency situations before making moves? If they were to sign Dez anytime this season waiting did not help them. If before they showed the world the receivers sucked and they signed him it would have been cheaper. If they can’t show they have a working passing offense this week Dez price demands are going to go up. Stupid management

Perriman I was against the moment I heard he was signed and glad that guys gone

I don’t buy for a minute that they tried for Josh Gordon. He was traded for almost nothing and our picks are going to be higher then the Patriots. A simple match of the terms would have made Josh a Redskin. Plus they have 10 or 11 draft picks next season so they definitely had the ammunition to get there. I would bet that Bruce told Doug they tried to get him but in reality nothing happened on that front by Bruce because he’s an idiot. So Bruce put Doug out there to take the heat for Josh not being here since Bruce is the man who makes trades not Doug. Not to mention why would the Browns want to keep Josh in the AFC? 

Table was set but Bruce was sleeping and missed his chance to eat. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Galdi who replayed Doug's segment on Doc Walker.  Interestingly, Doug flat out said they tried to trade for Josh Gordon but came just short of NE.  The way he put it is they came in 2nd in the deal -- 2nd best offer. 

And the Browns only had two offres I believe lol