Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I miss Pierre Garcon.  I also miss DeSean Jackson.

Our WRs scare no one. At least with those 2, you could count on the tough catch and forcing to respect us deep.

I want to see Brian Quick or Mo Harris eat into some of Doctson's snaps. The 5 times a year either of them get a ball thrown to them, they look decent enough to me.

• Like 1

I knew WR was one of the most talked about need but I honestly saw a bounce back year from Crowder and perhaps a big leap by 

Doctson, I saw Richardson as another Alvin Harper. But man I never saw this group as this bad, they simply do not get open.

If Doc busts can we finally close the case and confirm that Scott M's tenure here was yet another example of a smart, accomplished man showing up in Ashburn  and instantly turning stupid?  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

I thought the issue was Kirk just didn't take chances with Doctson (heard that from some beat guys coming out of camp) but Alex will and that will change everything for Doctson? ?

I am not one of the Alex haters on the board but I am deemed as one by some because I don't think he's a world beater.  But I think he's a good QB -- game manager -- conservative -- doesn't make mistakes.  I thought the Alex profile == more let it fly balls headed to Doctson seemed silly.  It didn't add up.

I liked Doctson coming out of the draft but I had no clue about his personality which I am not impressed with at least in terms of playing with attitude.  I haven't though given up on him yet but my patience is waning. 

I think losing Garcon-D. Jax was clearly a game changer for this offense.

3 things strike me about it:

1.  Bruce brushing it off in an interview saying yeah we lost them but we gained most of those TDs and yards back after signing Pryor and Quick.  (LOL, in retrospect)

2.  Jay wanting to keep D-Jax but FO disagreed with him

3.  the word that some beat guys had at the time is internally they were saying Crowder is better than Garcon/D. Jax.  I like Crowder but he has not exactly lit the world on fire and replaced the production of Garcon and D. Jax.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But I think he's a good QB -- game manager -- conservative -- doesn't make mistakes.  I thought the Alex profile == more let it fly balls headed to Doctson seemed silly.  It didn't add up.

He’s not even a good QB. He’s average. He’s only good if you have a championship caliber team and you need someone to not throw INTs at the wrong time.

But relying on him as your long term QB should be enough to get you fired.

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

He’s not even a good QB. He’s average. He’s only good if you have a championship caliber team and you need someone to not throw INTs at the wrong time.

But relying on him as your long term QB should be enough to get you fired.

I hated the trade for reasons I've elaborated on plenty of times. And I do agree the people involved with botching the Kirk contract and replacing him with Alex (I'd have gone young) should be fired -- that means Bruce.    Once Kirk was gone, I'd have gone young at that point not older at QB. 

I think he's a good QB if he has weapons to play with but nothing special.  With some on the Alex thread and more so with some Redskins fans on twitter, you'd think the Redskins acquired a QB who was borderline elite and if you disagreed with that than you hated the dude. The oddest discussion point was that the dude is a risk taker and will take more chances than his predecessor.  Heck Football Outsiders coined their own check down term "the Alex" because of his propensity to check down even on third and long.  But I apparently hate the dude because I bought into those silly stats and the Outsiders supposed agenda.   ?  But getting past that and building this team, we need more weapons.  Not sure if I could trust Gordon being that guy but he's intriguing considering what we got right now.

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Josh Gordon makes just $790K this year & is an RFA next year — 2 years of control. If the compensation is a conditional pick based on games played or something similar, it could climb to a mid-rounder. Browns in a good spot.

0:59
Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
From @gmfb: The #BrownsCLEBrowns18.png are expected to be able to trade WR Josh Gordon before 4 pm today and the trade compensation should be legit.
29 replies102 retweets244 likes

• Like 2

d

The @Redskins wide receivers (Doctson, Richardson and Crowder) have a combined 18 catches for 173 yards through two weeks. DeSean Jackson has 275.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/17/nfl-week-2-blake-bortles-patrick-mahomes-clay-matthews-penalty-matt-ryan-josh-gordon-missed-kicks

JUDGING JOSH GORDON

The Browns have been in touch with potential suitors for troubled receiver Josh Gordon in the 24-plus hours after the team’s announcement that they were planning to release him on Monday—which was a de facto “make us an offer” smoke signal to the rest of the league. And as much as getting a return might be nice, I think controlling Gordon’s destination is as important to Cleveland.

So your favorite team’s fate on this one is, at least for now, in the hands of Browns GM John Dorsey. You want to know about Gordon? Here are a few things you should know …

• There were signs of trouble early in the summer, with rumors buzzing before the July 4 holiday that he’d slipped up. That was followed by Gordon staying away from the start of Browns training camp, a move that came as a surprise to some on the Cleveland coaching staff.

• Gordon’s final days in Cleveland were just as strange. On Friday he tweaked his hamstring doing a promotional shoot. The team found out about it on Saturday, after Gordon showed up to work late.

• Gordon is one failed drug test from banishment from the league.

• The one year Gordon stayed out of trouble was 2013—and he caught 87 passes for 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns. That year, then-Browns CEO Joe Banner hired performance psychologist James Bell and Cleveland Clinic psychiatrist Mayur Pandya to help with troubled players, and the two were vital in Gordon staying on track.

• Gordon is seen as easily influenced, which is why the Browns have tried as much as possible to get him around a brother of his who was living in California and is seen as a positive force in his life.

• Those who know Gordon say his substance abuse problem stems from deep insecurity and self-esteem issues. No one seems to think he’s a bad guy. That’s why so many people are rooting for Gordon to make it. It’s hard to find someone who’s played with or coached him who isn’t.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Listen, the chances of him making it through the rest if the season without incident are probably slim.  So any team that gets him should expect he wont make it the next 14 games intact, IMO.

But frankly, the Skins need him desperately.  That play he made at the end of the Steeler game is a play nobody on our roster would make.  That's the definition of a playmaker.  And you can feed him when these other stiffs on the outside arent doing anything. He's almost unguardable, which is what Alex Smith needs to be aggressive.

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Josh Doctson is absolutely a certified bum.  Consistently doesn’t make plays, drops passes, etc etc.  Richardson isn’t even a poor man’s Desean Jackson.  He’s more like a poor man’s Chris Collinsworth.  Pure bum status.  Maurice Harris is probably the best WR on this team.  Just pitiful.

Watching DJax running free downfield every week makes me sad. 

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

I was really hoping Josh would work out this offseason, and become more of a stout possession type.  Look at how big NFL WRs arms are now.  It's not just my personal preference, they need to be strong to hold onto the ball.

That ship long sailed on Doctson for this year. But I have always thought it was wise to have WRs with size and if not, strength, for half of every single game, they are run blockers.  Dare I think our WRs are not great blockers. Seeing Grant with a nice block yesterday was salt in the loss wound.

• Like 1

Doctson reminds somewhat of Amari Cooper.  Cooper was supposed to be the be all end all when he was drafted, and he never lived up to the hype.  The Raiders moved him to more of a slot WR role and he has improved a lot.  Crabtree is another WR that was drafted with high expectations and floundered for awhile until his role changed.

Maybe for Doctson as a last ditch effort, the coaching staff needs to give up on him developing into a #1 reliable WR and move him to another role.  Get the ball in his hands, even if it is on shorter passes and see what he can do in space.  

What Ravens can learn from having worst-ranked WR in Breshad Perriman

The Baltimore Ravens are at the NFL combine with wide receiver once again a priority, just three years after taking Breshad Perriman in the first round.

Perriman's short NFL career bottomed out last season, when he finished as the league's worst-ranked wide receiver. Pro Football Focus gave him the lowest grade among 116 receivers.

His dropped passes and inability to win contested catches turned into interceptions. His lack of production led to him being a healthy scratch for a team that desperately needed receivers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

Those banging the drum for Gordon.  Does anyone actually buy the reason he was released? Unless the guy was signed to a low-to-no risk contract, I am not taking a chance on someone who is a strike away from being banned again.

Dez.......ugh.....Dez...............I mean, ok? He is better than what we got. I don't like it, but I'd go along with it.

• Like 1

Would love to somehow get Paul Richardson in the slot more often and relegate Crowder to more of a situational role. How this can happen with current WR depth does not seem likely. 

Need speed on the field more consistently. 

Edited by wit33

I don't see how any receiver out there, not named Josh Gordon, is going to make any difference this season.  And I have to believe something is up with Gordon for how all this went down.  Did you see the glee in Hue's face on Hard Knocks when Gordon showed up to camp?  Roughly 3 weeks later he cut him.  Something is up or in Gordon's case - down.

• Like 2