Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm not sure we see much from our passing game this week due to Florence, although my weather app says not much rain on Saturday or Sunday.  Not sure how that's possible but I'd love clear weather.  Sloppy weather only favors the underdog.  Good conditions should allow us to handle the colts.  

I know we went 2 wr sets a lot as we were using multiple tight ends last week, and I wonder if we do the same this week due to our lack of healthy WRs.  If we go three receiver sets that could mean all our healthy WRs are on the field at the same time. That's a little unnerving.  Hopefully we get a lead early and can keep a similar game plan as last week. I'd be more than happy to wait another week to get a better read on our wr situtation.  

A sloppy game favors teams that are either well balanced on offense or have a great running game. At least right now the redskins appear to fit that mold. More importantly the Colts are a one trick pony (all puns intended). Luck passes, passes, and passes some more. He threw the ball over 50 times in his first game back in over a year. Also it's not like their D is anything to be afraid of. No a perfectly clear day is exactly what the Colts, not the redskins need. It gives them hope.  

And we have NO shortage of healthy WRs. Our #s 1, 2, and 3 WRs are 100% healthy. Our #s 5 and 6 went out and they have been replaced by Brian Quick - not great but certainly knows the system so there is no getting up to speed time - and they activated Jehu Chesson from the practice squad who is there mostly so play STs. Since they have 4 WRs it's unlikely they need him to take many WR snaps. But if he does, he already has some familiarity with Alex Smith since he was with KC last year. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm not sure we see much from our passing game this week due to Florence, although my weather app says not much rain on Saturday or Sunday.  Not sure how that's possible but I'd love clear weather.  Sloppy weather only favors the underdog.  Good conditions should allow us to handle the colts.  

I know we went 2 wr sets a lot as we were using multiple tight ends last week, and I wonder if we do the same this week due to our lack of healthy WRs.  If we go three receiver sets that could mean all our healthy WRs are on the field at the same time. That's a little unnerving.  Hopefully we get a lead early and can keep a similar game plan as last week. I'd be more than happy to wait another week to get a better read on our wr situtation.  

A sloppy game favors teams that are either well balanced on offense or have a great running game. At least right now the redskins appear to fit that mold. More importantly the Colts are a one trick pony (all puns intended). Luck passes, passes, and passes some more. He threw the ball over 50 times in his first game back in over a year. Also it's not like their D is anything to be afraid of. No a perfectly clear day is exactly what the Colts, not the redskins need. It gives them hope.  

And we have NO shortage of healthy WRs. Our #s 1, 2, and 3 WRs are 100% healthy. Our #s 5 and 6 went out and they have been replaced by Brian Quick - not great but certainly knows the system so there is no getting up to speed time - and they activated Jehu Chesson from the practice squad who is there mostly so play STs. Since they have 4 WRs it's unlikely they need him to take many WR snaps. 

25 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Everything i've seen over the last 18 hours or so shows we won't even see Florence up here.  It's supposedly going to hit shoreline and dip south and loop around.  DC Metro won't REALLY feel anything from Florence til Mon / Tuesday when the low pressure system loops around and gets pushed north.  Even at that point it won't be anything more than some wind and rain. 

They're saying now at the time of landfall it's only going to be Cat 1 as it continues to downgrade and move across land.  If it dips south, and deteriorates the way they're suggesting... we MIGHT see some light breeze and maybe cloud cover on Sunday but a lot of the local weather people reporting we could be sunny and low 80s at kickoff.  It could be a high flyer type of game.  

Edited by OVCChairman

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

And we have NO shortage of healthy WRs. Our #s 1, 2, and 3 WRs are 100% healthy. Our #s 5 and 6 went out and they have been replaced by Brian Quick - not great but certainly knows the system so there is no getting up to speed time - and they activated Jehu Chesson from the practice squad who is there mostly so play STs. Since they have 4 WRs it's unlikely they need him to take many WR snaps. 

I hear you on how a clear day favors the passing game, which is clearly the colts strength, but I still feel a clear day is best for the skins.  The Redskins are clearly a better team than the colts, even with luck airing it out. Sloppy field conditions can lead to turnovers, slipping and missed assignments etc. Which can allow an otherwise inferior team to hang around.  Of course those dynamics could go in our favor and we blow them out, but I'd rather minimize those freak occurrences and you would assume the better team would be more likely to win. Not to mention minimizing the risk of freak injuries due to a sloppy field.  

And after reading that latest article, I do feel much better about our wr unit.  And I don't believe our new wave of second stringers is all that much worse than last week's second stringers.  Be interesting to see the passing game this week against a very suspect colts secondary, weather permitting. 

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Everything i've seen over the last 18 hours or so shows we won't even see Florence up here. 

Great news!  Thanks for sharing.  I figured the bands from a big storm like that would lead to rain all over the east coast.   Hoping for a clear day, how demoralizing would it be if we get hit with injuries due to a sloppy field after looking so good last week, and losing to an inferior team due to a sloppy game.  Hopefully sunny skies, a healthy team, and another w!:cheers: 

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Great news!  Thanks for sharing.  I figured the bands from a big storm like that would lead to rain all over the east coast.   Hoping for a clear day, how demoralizing would it be if we get hit with injuries due to a sloppy field after looking so good last week, and losing to an inferior team due to a sloppy game.  Hopefully sunny skies, a healthy team, and another w!:cheers: 

Absolutely... it's great news up and down.  Cat 4 hitting the coast no matter where it hits does a ton of damage... thankful things appear to have changed for the better.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

makes sense. But I also read where both Dez and Witten were in the huddle often telling Prescott to get them the ball and that the Cowgirls thought Dez was detrimental to Dak's progressing as a pro. Apparently Dak wasn't sticking with progressions and would jump right to Dez or Witten because they were always in his ear????

I heard the same thing but spun in a way that made the two of them look like veterans trying to help the young QB out. I don't trust a thing said about the Cowboys on the local stations here, they are catering to the massive fan base that supports the team and always has a positive spin on it. Like with Dez once he refused a paycut and forced them to cut him the spin became all about how greedy he was and how he had lost a step. Instead of the truth being said that Dak Prescott sucks without Zeke taking the defensive primary coverage away from Dak. Dez went from sugar to crap overnight when he refused to take less money around here. I guess that's how most media outlets do things so not unique to this area. Before he refused the paycut Dez with his X signs was Mr. Cowboys. After Dez demanded the team pay him what they agreed to pay him just two years prior he was ass to most around here

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I heard the same thing but spun in a way that made the two of them look like veterans trying to help the young QB out. I don't trust a thing said about the Cowboys on the local stations here, they are catering to the massive fan base that supports the team and always has a positive spin on it. Like with Dez once he refused a paycut and forced them to cut him the spin became all about how greedy he was and how he had lost a step. Instead of the truth being said that Dak Prescott sucks without Zeke taking the defensive primary coverage away from Dak. Dez went from sugar to crap overnight when he refused to take less money around here. I guess that's how most media outlets do things so not unique to this area. Before he refused the paycut Dez with his X signs was Mr. Cowboys. After Dez demanded the team pay him what they agreed to pay him just two years prior he was ass to most around here

interesting....I guess Jerry has the media in his pocket? I'm pretty sure it was Stephen Jones who I read talking about the Dez/Witten negative influence on Dak. He seems to be more level headed then his dad is?

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

interesting....I guess Jerry has the media in his pocket? I'm pretty sure it was Stephen Jones who I read talking about the Dez/Witten negative influence on Dak. He seems to be more level headed then his dad is?

Oh ya, in this neck of the world the cowboys are everything and have the media in it's pocket. Jerry is just a figurehead and no longer running the team. Stephen his son has been running the show the last few years. They are open about the succession plan between the two with the media. Jerry will be leaving soon with his son taking over.  

Every week I hear Jerry on the radio and as time goes by he gets more and more senile. This weeks interview gave us the sound bites about them starting 0-2, Jerry says hey it's not that bad because two Superbowl teams for the Cowboys started out 0-2, one team in the 90's and one team in the 1970's. With Jerry it's like the President you have to fact check everything that comes out of his mouth. The truth is that one Superbowl team (90's version) did start the season out 0-2. They were 0-2 because Emmitt Smith was holding out. None of the 70's Superbowl teams started out 0-2 and no one knows why he said they did. 

About the 90's super bowl team compared to today's team. For them there is no Emmit Smith walking through the door for them this year, so in no way does that hold any meaning at all. Yet there was Jerry being all smiles and laughs and happy about the possibility they start out 0-2 this year. That's Jerry for you. 

So I just watched the Game Pass for the Cowboys last game. They lost to the Panthers last week. They have a pretty good defense, especially against the rb. The reason they lost this game was Dak, once again he was throwing balls behind his receivers, he was dancing around in the pocket and took some unnecessary sacks, terrible play calling, and their offense looked easy to stop - Sell out to stop Zeke and make Dak win the game. Good news for us when we play them. To attack Dallas the opponent needs to get rid of the ball quickly and throw a lot of passes to the RB. McCaffrey was eating last week (hello Chris Thompson!). None of the receivers Dallas played last weekend were as good as Dez, which is why Dez was tweeting last weekend. Before watching this game I didn't know why he was but once you see Dak missing everyone not named Cole you can see what's really wrong with this team

To tie this to the topic, Dez isn't nearly as bad as they scapegoated him out to be. Which is one of the reasons I hoped he would sign here but that's not happening lol. 

Edited by bobandweave
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Dak Prescott sucks without Zeke

So true, just like many of us I watch a ton of NFC East football and I can remember watching the Cowgirls last year and thinking how much better of a QB Kirk was than Dak because he's able to move an offense with absolutely no running game, I think Dak is the most overrated QB in the NFL and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a 2nd contract at Dallas when its all said and done.

With that being said the reason I wanted to look at Dez is that when Romo's career ended so did Dez's, is that just one hell of a coincidence that a guy went from 1320 yards and 16 Td's with Romo to being a JAG the very next season or is it because Dak isn't very good, I tend to think the latter.  

But the overriding factor seems to be that teams don't trust Dez's attitude so you have to believe there is some credence to that.

We're in trouble at WR long term (not speaking of this year), everyone should go look at the FA WR's that will be available next year, its a terrible list and we most definitely need a playmaker at that position, its gonna be tough for this team to let Crowder go, I think we're more likely to let Preston go because its easier to find pass rushers than WR's.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

We're in trouble at WR long term (not speaking of this year), everyone should go look at the FA WR's that will be available next year, its a terrible list and we most definitely need a playmaker at that position, its gonna be tough for this team to let Crowder go, I think we're more likely to let Preston go because its easier to find pass rushers than WR's.

I'm growing more comfortable with the cost of Paul Richardson over the next 3 years, and while likely more than he's worth on the surface of stats alone, his speed opens up more for the other targets. Plus, he looks like he is more capable on underneath routes than just being some 1 trick pony of a deep speed guy. Just needs to be relatively healthy. 

Outside of him, I can see the initial sense of concern. 

MO Harris looks like he will be a keeper, and is a RFA, so easy enough to keep on through 2019. 

I'll bet Trey Quinn turns out to be a keeper, even if he stays in the lower portion of the depth chart. 

Robert Davis could be a keeper, and is a RFA in 2020. Maybe he earns a spot like he would likely have this year. 

Doctson is a true question mark, but he's signed through 2019 as well at fairly cheap cost. No panic there. 

Maybe Sims impresses again, probably will, but can he stay healthy? 

Then yes, there is Crowder. He's auditioning for us and all other teams this year. Hard to know how that shakes out. 

We will probably need to add a solid option somewhere, but I don't know that this scheme will need a real superstar WR at any point. 

• Like 1

Redskins’ wide receivers were quiet in Week 1, but they aren’t worried about it

“We didn’t know where that game plan was going to go, and I think there are going to be weeks like that,” Smith said. “The great thing is we got a bunch of selfless guys out there. I think all they care about is winning. Obviously they want to be involved and included, but [they are] team-first guys. That’s not always the case at that position around the league, and it’s kind of a credit to the mind-set of those guys we have outside.” “Last week we were moreso called to block and spread the defense out,” Richardson said. “They played a real safe defense last week, and AP and Chris Thompson were able to do their thing. That’s going to help. … I want them to keep doing it. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/09/12/redskins-wide-receivers-were-quiet-in-week-1-but-they-arent-worried-about-it/?utm_term=.a8e66a3001b5

• Like 1

Richardson didn't practice today and has some kind of shoulder injury.  This is the position that is starting to look thin.  Last year it was the injuries piling up on the O line and at RB -- this year WR is looming as potentially a similar problem.  

I am wondering about Brice Butler, I liked him in his short spurts in Dallas, don't know what happened though as for not making the squad in Arizona.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Its been like 5 weeks now since Harris got his concussion, that's a long time needed to heal from a concussion, a scary situation for a player.

I know he returned to practice on Wednesday with Limited participation.  So that's something at least.  No idea if he's playing this Sunday.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Richardson didn't practice today and has some kind of shoulder injury.  This is the position that is starting to look thin.  Last year it was the injuries piling up on the O line and at RB -- this year WR is looming as potentially a similar problem.  

I am wondering about Brice Butler, I liked him in his short spurts in Dallas, don't know what happened though as for not making the squad in Arizona.

Richardson also had an AC shoulder issue 12 months ago. Not sure if it's the same one. Gruden seemed fairly chilled over it for this week, but would like to think it's not a major issue.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Richardson also had an AC shoulder issue 12 months ago. Not sure if it's the same one. Gruden seemed fairly chilled over it for this week, but would like to think it's not a major issue.

Yeah on the radio they were making more hay about it then Jay seemed chilled about it later in his Q & A.  If they go ball control offense, I think Richardson is a key guy this year -- he's the guy who can either keep defenses honest or he can likely go deep without having to worry about bracketed coverage where a safety is helping that often. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah on the radio they were making more hay about it then Jay seemed chilled about it later in his Q & A.  If they go ball control offense, I think Richardson is a key guy this year -- he's the guy who can either keep defenses honest or he can likely go deep without having to worry about bracketed coverage where a safety is helping that often. 

I have a sneaky (desperate?) suspicion that maybe Mo Harris can eventually prove to be that secondary deep threat option. If back healthy, and targeted deep, this dude can haul in some good 1 vs 1 balls and scare defenses. ( and if not him, maybe Doctson steps up )

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had to choose a position to get decimated by injuries with Alex Smith at QB, it would be WR.  Not really worried unless/until CT25/AD/Reed start missing games. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I have a sneaky (desperate?) suspicion that maybe Mo Harris can eventually prove to be that secondary deep threat option. If back healthy, and targeted deep, this dude can haul in some good 1 vs 1 balls and scare defenses. ( and if not him, maybe Doctson steps up )

Personally, I see him as more of the intermediate type - the ‘chain mover’ Morneblade has been talking about.  He does have the hands to challenge deep sometimes though.  He really caught my eye in College and I hope to see him used more.  Not as dynamic as our 1st 3 maybe, but a Ryan Grant type with better hands and more height.  

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If I had to choose a position to get decimated by injuries with Alex Smith at QB, it would be WR.  Not really worried unless/until CT25/AD/Reed start missing games. 

I agree, and I think it’s even easier to feel this way since our starters are fairly lackluster (or unproven/inconsistent, if you’d prefer).  

I hope we don’t lose Crowder though - he brings something unique and can be a big help to a qb. 

• Like 1