Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

51 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

It's only been one game and I see a lot of people are already giving up on Docston.

Nevermind he had arguably the best CB in football on him all game. Say what you will, but if opposing defensive coordinators put Patrick Peterson on Docston, that means they at least respect his physical ability.

Let's see how he performs against a garbage secondary like Indianapolis. If he struggles then, I'm all with you in throwing him to the curb for trash pickup.

If the game plan is to ground n pound.  The plan is working...the only way Smith is throwing up a 50/50 ball is because he sees the receiver has a step on the 1-on-1 matchup and the safety has bit on his fake. If the Skins are playing from behind then he'll be forced into those plays and Doctson will be important.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

If we we're able to stash him on ir for the rest of the season, I'd be perfectly happy with that.  I didn't expect to get much wr production this year from Sims, but I do believe he has potential to be a good starting wr in the NFL over the long term, which is why I'm glad they hung onto him.  But my question is: if they put him on ir with an injury that would only keep him out 4-6 weeks, and by November he is healthy but we have already burned our 2 IR to return, can another team swipe him away from us?  bc that would suck, and if that's the case, I'd prefer to cut Keyes and carry 7 wr for a month or so until guys heal, and then we can part ways with quick again. Doesn't seem like there are teams looking to scoop him up.    

Depends. In general players on IR are supposed to have a "major injury", i.e. an injury that would sideline said player at least six weeks. If that is not the case, the team is obligated to release the player when he is healthy. Not sure how long Sims is supposed to be injured. But I suspect the idea is that he's supposed to be out 6+ weeks and hence the IR designation. I doubt he's brought back

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Morneblade said:

My guess is which is hurt worse. Gruden said yesterday they would know more today. Quinn being a returner might be a bigger blow. I wonder, do we have anyone else on the 53 (besides Crowder) that can to punt returns? Or will have to looks specifically at the PS for someone that can?

Stroman can I believe.

I believe people are over reacting to a single game in terms of WRs. We all love to see the big play. But the end goal is to win, which they did handily. There is no reason to go down field when you are getting huge chunks of yardage underneath. Also, AZ secondary is very good, probably the best part of their entire team. They committed to not let anything get behind them. Which is actually how they have been playing for several years. P Richardson still got behind them once and Alex threw it to him. If they don't hold it's 6. And if you notice there were a few guys with him. 

Indy is not as good a D in any way. I would expect to see some more shots down field. But if not because they are beating the hell out of them underneath with chuck plays and controlling the clock, that will be just fine. 

And actually although Alex broke out last year in terms of going down field, he had been getting better each year while at KC. Just last year he exploded. 

• Like 2

Does anyone have any thoughts on Doctson's blocking on Sunday?  I don't want to start a "beat up on Josh" rant but I keep seeing these weak blocks that I think are costing us yards and one may have cost us a TD.

I only rewatched the 1st half so the 1st and 10 run with 4:33 remaining in the 1st QTR is the one where I feel like if the effort was better CT may have been gone.

The 2nd one was with 2:30 remaining in the 2nd quarter and it could have been an easy first down and more if he held that block.

This is not me saying he is a terrible blocker, just asking for others opinion.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Confused 1

On 9/10/2018 at 11:25 PM, bobandweave said:

Thing to me is that this team is relying on older players this year at the critical positions - QB, RB, top corner, LT. 

Since they are playing with older guys then why not double down on that with an older receiver? We have a need for a chunk receiver now. Dez is done as for being a top receiver in the league but so is guys like Demaryius, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace to name a few. That doesn’t mean they aren’t still capable of helping a team. 

A lot of people thought that AP at age 33 was done too then he got a shot and just had a combined yardage game of over 150 yards yesterday. I don’t think that Father Time caught up to Dez as much as I think that he was highly overpaid and the Cowboys cut him to save money and that Dak isn’t as good as his reputation says he is. Sometimes we think guys are done but aren’t and have something in the tank left.

its a very long shot that we sign him and don’t have my hopes up about it. I would kick the tires on him and see what he has left because I see a need here and a team that’s trying to compete this year 

I don’t think that’s what it was. Dez was well liked around here (live in DFW). The problem was that he was a top paid player who didn’t want to take a pay cut when they asked him to when his play slipped. I don’t think it was bad for him to do that, the players can only play so long and teams imo should honor contracts they sign. 

makes sense. But I also read where both Dez and Witten were in the huddle often telling Prescott to get them the ball and that the Cowgirls thought Dez was detrimental to Dak's progressing as a pro. Apparently Dak wasn't sticking with progressions and would jump right to Dez or Witten because they were always in his ear????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Doctson's blocking on Sunday?  I don't want to start a "beat up on Josh" rant but I keep seeing these weak blocks that I think are costing us yards and one may have cost us a TD.

I only rewatched the 1st half so the 1st and 10 run with 4:33 remaining in the 1st QTR is the one where I feel like if the effort was better CT may have been gone.

The 2nd one was with 2:30 remaining in the 2nd quarter and it could have been an easy first down and more if he held that block.

This is not me saying he is a terrible blocker, just asking for others opinion.

If I were to judge Doc on this one game last week, I would give him poor grades in run blocking, yes. I made close observations on a total of 3 poor block situations in the first half alone that cost us some yardage on two and a TD on another. I still have to go through the 2nd half, but my early assessment is this. I am not happy with his blocking efforts, or his awareness to make himself available when the QB goes off script. 

2nd drive of the offense. 4:37 1st quarter

8:13 2nd quarter

2:40 final drive of the 2nd quarter

• Thanks 1

Stroman will likely be returning punts according to Hoffman -- i think its a better choice than Quinn was.  Stroman was a stud returner in college.  Quinn didn't return that many kicks in college.

I've been digesting, Chesson.  4th round pick a season ago from the Chiefs 

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/05/former-chiefs-wr-jehu-chesson-signs-to-redskins-practice-squad/

Chesson was a 4th round draft pick by the Chiefs in 2017. He spent the entirety of the 2017 season on the Chiefs active roster. When he was active on gameday he mostly played special teams. During the regular season he only caught two passes for a total of 13 yards.

The Chiefs only moved on from Chesson because they have such a logjam at the WR position with the addition of Sammy Watkins, a return to health by De’Anthony Thomas, and the quick development of second-year UDFA WR Marcus Kemp

This is a smart move by Washington to bring in a guy that new quarterback Alex Smith has worked with in the past. Especially one that is only a year into his NFL career and still has some upside.

Washington is not exactly flush with receiver talent, so bringing in a guy that has worked with Smith in the past, there’s a level of comfort there. If one of the go to guys in the WR group gets injured, he could be first in line for call ups.

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/2017-nfl-draft-jehu-chesson-michigan-stats-bio

3. Chesson did a little bit of everything for Michigan

Not only was Chesson one of Michigan’s top receivers throughout his time in Ann Arbor, he contributed in other ways as well.

Chesson had 22 rush attempts as a Wolverines, accruing 220 yards and three touchdowns. He also returned six kicks, including one for a game-opening touchdown against Northwestern his junior year. And he made an impact in special teams coverage, with 17 career tackles.

Chesson’s versatility should help him in the NFL, where he will likely be asked to help on special teams as a young player.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/04/29/2017-nfl-draft-chiefs-select-michigan-wr-jehu-chesson/

Chesson ran a 4.47 second 40-yard dash at this year’s NFL Combine and placed third among all wideouts in the 3-cone drill with a 6.70 second time.

NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein compares him to Brian Quick and writes:

Chesson looked like a shell of his 2015 self for much of the 2016 season. Erratic quarterback play didn’t help his production, but an inability to separate and a noticeable drop in confidence were also culprits. Has NFL size and ball skills but long speed and play strength are deficiencies that could limit him as a pro. If he can revert back to his 2015 form, he has WR2 or WR3 potential. But at this point, he appears to be a Day 3 pick who could struggle to find snaps early in his career.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Agee...Receivers will get their shots soon enough.  The more you are forced to go to the air in this type of offense, the less your game plan is working.  When a WR gets a step ahead of his defender, they'll get their shot.  No reason to doubt that.  However, the more that your running game demands respect, the more often you'll see those shots down field payoff large.  Forcing the 1-on-1 matches on the outside is going to be huge.  When a team has to bring a safety into the box, leaving 1 deep safety to cover both sides of the field always, always, always results in a big play deep.  Skins fans know this situation oh too well.  If you watch Smith on deep balls, he's really good at getting the deep safety to step to the side he dips to first before launching his deep ball the other way.  Only takes a step in the opposite direction to give the deep WR that edge.  We won't see many situations where Smith is going to throw into double coverages.  He'll do it when he has to, but that won't be very often.  

Watching the 3rd quarter again is telling. There are times where you can see that plays are there and potentially could be made. It's frustrating when attempts are not made, but at the same time, that is part of the patience of having a 21-0 lead.

I think even Jay was annoyed at Alex later in the 3rd (5 minutes left) over a throw not attempted on 3rd and 16. Alex had excitement in his eyes as Jay said something to him, and Smith said something back and smiled it off. We can guess that Jay asked him why did you not see or throw there or there? and Smith saying that it wasn't worth the risk. I don't know. As long as not risking it pays off into a win, it's all good. It is definitely a gamble I don't want to see when not up 3 TDs against an opponent is showing more offensive ability though. Alex's regular season record over the last several years speaks for itself, so it seems wise to let him decide for himself. 

On 9/11/2018 at 7:03 AM, Sandy Monk said:

I wouldn't hate it.. or Quick. Much depends on their routes and dependability. 

You'd hate it when he pulls this immature style rant that is his MO after not getting his way...

He pulled this garbage more than a few times.  The videos are out showing how much of a cancer he is in the locker room.  Typical cowboy baggage 'No Need to Apply'.  

Edited by TheShredder

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not writing the book on Doc just yet. He'll have a big game or two, or more at some point this season.

This is what I came to the thread to say.

No doubt Doctson will have a few games with 100+ 1 TD this season. Even if it comes against a banged up/ less than stellar secondary. Then, fans will be on his nuts for a couple weeks. If he  has a poor game wither through not playing well or not being a big part of the team's particular gameplan that week, a lot of fans will be just as critical. I understand he was drafted to be a #1 and that has certain expectations but one game isn't enough to think he will have a terrible season.

It seemed obvious Doctson wasn't a huge part of the gameplan and Jay's offenses always have spread it out. Once the O-line seemed to be dominating early, maybe Doct losing targets was the sacrifice to going with what was working? Maybe he just sucks and the coaches don't trust him? Either way, I know he'll come up big somewhere this season. 

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been digesting, Chesson.  4th round pick a season ago from the Chiefs 

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/05/former-chiefs-wr-jehu-chesson-signs-to-redskins-practice-squad/

Thanks for the info.  I now feel ok about chesson as a short term fix until Harris returns, and I wouldn't be surprised if chesson sticks longer than quick if guys like sims are able to come back the second half of the year.  Chesson has a lot of positives and is a well rounded guy, I'm surprised he isn't on a roster somewhere.  I hope they promote him asap. 

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

A lot of factors went into how tepid our WR appeared.  I'd imagine this week will look a bit different... 

I'm not sure we see much from our passing game this week due to Florence, although my weather app says not much rain on Saturday or Sunday.  Not sure how that's possible but I'd love clear weather.  Sloppy weather only favors the underdog.  Good conditions should allow us to handle the colts.  

I know we went 2 wr sets a lot as we were using multiple tight ends last week, and I wonder if we do the same this week due to our lack of healthy WRs.  If we go three receiver sets that could mean all our healthy WRs are on the field at the same time. That's a little unnerving.  Hopefully we get a lead early and can keep a similar game plan as last week. I'd be more than happy to wait another week to get a better read on our wr situtation.  

I just saw that Harris returned to practice, and chesson was signed to the active roster.  Those two actions make me feel a lot better. So it seems they will go with 5 active WRs on game day and have ladler pick up a little slack on teams.  I like it.  

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/9/13/17851828/redskins-vs-colts-injury-report-maurice-harris-returns-to-practice