Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

One of those guys has to be capable of suiting up next week or they've got to pick someone up.  Mo has been in the concussion protocol for awhile.  Wonder what the prognosis is there. 

If they want another speedy guy they could use Bibbs.... otherwise I'd say Cobbs off the practice squad. 

Edited by TheShredder

I'm up for signing Dez. Even trading Doctson, if the value is good. He's just not plugged in. His effort on run blocks is appalling, and his effort on getting open on broken plays is equally offensive. 

I know this is a very early assessment, and I'm not pounding the table for it. If the WRs like Mo and Quinn are going to continue missing weeks, then maybe it is the right decision to bring in Dez, I dunno. They can keep Doc and Dez maybe, but right now? Doc is my least favorite player on offense, and I bet the players agree while watching this game again in the film room. 

Edited by Sandy Monk

Is Mo going to be ready to play next week?  This is the key IMO if not then Houston we have a problem at WR.  Getting Dez now maybe an option but at what cost down the road?  Is he in top shape?  Is he ready to step in and contribute right away?  Will this move mess up Doc and Richardson's "growth" in this offense?  I disagree with people wanting Doc gone, lets face it he didn't have a rookie season, last year was his rookie season and the entire second half got derailed with all our injuries on the OL.  This is the year he will need to show he has taken the next step.  Will having Dez here derailed him?  You are not bringing in a good receiver, you are bringing in a guy that wants all the attention and the ball.  It could mess up the balance in the locker room.

Just say NO!!!!! to Dez. This would be a Vinnie panic move. They are building a locker room of adults. He is not an adult. And he is a mere shell of who he was. Ever think there is a reason that 31 other teams do not want him either? 

They have guys on the practice squad they can bring up. This is what building a team through the draft looks like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A little concerned about the lack of involvement with our WR's yesterday not that we needed them with CT & AP running all over the field but lets be real here. We can't rely on screen passes and the running game for all 16 match-ups. There are going to be defense's that force us to beat them on the outside and stretch the field. Also Doctson had a drop on a short slant yesterday, not good.

I can go either way with Dez. Getting him now after week 1 I'm pretty sure means no guaranteed money on the contract so he can be cut at anytime. Not having a blue chip #1 WR is our glaring hole on offense so bringing in another decent WR wouldn't hurt. But, he would be what #4 on the depth chart and those spots should go to the younger guys. If Quinn or Sims are out for any extended period of time maybe that sort of forces our hand in signing someone? If he wants to take a small contract and is told from the beginning he isn't anywhere close to the top option on offense so if he pouts at all he will be cut, I'm all for giving him a chance.

You take what the defense gives you. Yesterday the offense dominated the Cardinals. We didn't need to take big downfield shots, we didn't need to take any risks. 

Yesterday should set off no alarm bells, should not send anyone into a tizzy over lack of involvement by the wide receivers. 
Their lack of involvement was not due to them being a liability, we were not forced into any offense we did not want to be in.

No no no and one more NO to Dez Bryant.

I guess he does think NE or Washington would be a nice place to play. Beats sitting on the couch, doesn't it?

Screw him, there's 3 reasons he's sitting down, and it's not because he is too good to play in the league.

He turned down the Ravens contract offer.

He turned down the Browns contract offer.

He's washed up.
All of that says he's exactly what we know him to be. Selfish, Looking out for #1.. which is ultimately what a free agent should do.. but two offers, and he declined.

Beggars cant be choosers.. and he's begging, we're not.

If Quinn or Sims is out, bring up Cobbs or Kidsy. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

A little concerned about the lack of involvement with our WR's yesterday not that we needed them with CT & AP running all over the field but lets be real here. We can't rely on screen passes and the running game for all 16 match-ups. There are going to be defense's that force us to beat them on the outside and stretch the field. Also Doctson had a drop on a short slant yesterday, not good.

I'm not surprised, to be honest.  In fact, it was one of the reasons I was concerned about Alex Smith vs. Kirk Cousins, the lack of WR involvement.  Keep in mind, Alex Smith was the QB of the Kansas City Chiefs team a few years back that went an entire season without a WR catching a TD pass.  And that team had Dwayne Bowe on it.

I don't know if that was a function of Smith himself of Andy Reid's offense, but it was the only time that has happened in 40-50 years.  In SF, his favorite target was Vernon Davis.  I'm sure there's probably a website somewhere that breaks a QB's TD's down, as far as what positions they go to.  I can't say for sure, but I'll bet Alex Smith's stats will show that our WR better prepare for a lean season.

• Like 1

Before we hit any panic buttons we need to see how the WRs perform in a game where a defense has the ability to take away Thompson and the running game.  It became apparent pretty quick yesterday that the offense was going to be able to dominate the clock with the run game.  They were the more physical team and the Cards defense was unable to stop it.  Add to that the fact that the defense was also dominating their offense, blanking them for three quarters and it ended up with a situation where there was really no reason to force anything that wasn't there.   The one "big pass" attempt to Richardson was going to be a house call had he not been held which impeded his progress and threw off the timing, but make no mistake Richardson got behind the defense and was open, that was just a case of the Cardinals defender recognizing he was beat and doing something out of desperation to avoid giving up a TD. 

If the running game and short passing game continue to produce the way they did yesterday, it is going to force defenses to start cheating and overly-scheme to stop those things. That should give the WRs more favorable matchups and situations. At that point we will see what their worth is.

• Like 3

How much of the lack of WR involvement do we attribute to limited live game time Alex Smith has had in this offense? Recall that many here were concerned about the lack of playing time Gruden gave our starters during preseason considering we had a new QB. 

Is it possible that Smith hasn't gelled with his offense yet and that's why our passing game looks so lousy? 

21 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Kenny Britt

Jeremy Maclin (Alex Smiths receiver in Kansas City)

Brian Quick (familiarity with our offense)

Dez Bryant

Martavis Bryant

Corey Coleman

Kendall Wright

Aren't most/all of these guys outside of Quick and Dez on a team already? Are you suggesting we trade for one?

Edited by bird_1972

19 minutes ago, Bang said:

You take what the defense gives you. Yesterday the offense dominated the Cardinals. We didn't need to take big downfield shots, we didn't need to take any risks. 

Yesterday should set off no alarm bells, should not send anyone into a tizzy over lack of involvement by the wide receivers. 
Their lack of involvement was not due to them being a liability, we were not forced into any offense we did not want to be in.

No no no and one more NO to Dez Bryant.

I guess he does think NE or Washington would be a nice place to play. Beats sitting on the couch, doesn't it?

Screw him, there's 3 reasons he's sitting down, and it's not because he is too good to play in the league.

He turned down the Ravens contract offer.

He turned down the Browns contract offer.

He's washed up.
All of that says he's exactly what we know him to be. Selfish, Looking out for #1.. which is ultimately what a free agent should do.. but two offers, and he declined.

Beggars cant be choosers.. and he's begging, we're not.

If Quinn or Sims is out, bring up Cobbs or Kidsy. 

~Bang

Dez isn't washed up.  69 catches for 838 yards and 6 touchdowns last year.  I'd definitely take that production this year.  

He's certainly not the gamebreaker that he used to be but if he can move the chains and be better at blocking than Doctson.  I could be better at blocking than Doctson, so could you.   I'm sure Dez would be fine.

He can turn down offers if he wants, free agents turn down offers all the time.  

3 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Doc is my least favorite player on offense, and I bet the players agree while watching this game again in the film room. 

He was invisible to me per usual but I wasn’t really looking out for him either.  Pretty much same old, same old in what I saw of him.

Did you play the game back and focus on him?  These are the times I really miss Cooley’s breakdowns.

3 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

How much of the lack of WR involvement do we attribute to limited live game time Alex Smith has had in this offense? Recall that many here were concerned about the lack of playing time Gruden gave our starters during preseason considering we had a new QB. 

Is it possible that Smith hasn't gelled with his offense yet and that's why our passing game looks so lousy? 

Aren't most/all of these guys outside of Quick and Dez on a team already? Are you suggesting we trade for one?

No, they are all free agents...

When it comes to a guy like Dez, I am not concerned about him not being what he was 4 years ago, I am concerned about where his own head is at.  The last thing this team needs is a guy who is going to walk up and down the sideline throwing tantrums if he feels he isn't getting thrown the ball enough.  We don't need that noise here on this team.  Dez still has something left in the tank, I don't doubt that, however I am not sure if this is the right place for him to land outside of the fact that it would be interesting to see him go up against the Cowboys twice. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did you play the game back and focus on him?  These are the times I really miss Cooley’s breakdowns.

Does Cooley not do film breakdowns on Tuesdays anymore?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I'm not surprised, to be honest.  In fact, it was one of the reasons I was concerned about Alex Smith vs. Kirk Cousins, the lack of WR involvement.  Keep in mind, Alex Smith was the QB of the Kansas City Chiefs team a few years back that went an entire season without a WR catching a TD pass.  And that team had Dwayne Bowe on it.

I don't know if that was a function of Smith himself of Andy Reid's offense, but it was the only time that has happened in 40-50 years.  In SF, his favorite target was Vernon Davis.  I'm sure there's probably a website somewhere that breaks a QB's TD's down, as far as what positions they go to.  I can't say for sure, but I'll bet Alex Smith's stats will show that our WR better prepare for a lean season.

Interesting stuff. Personally I find it hard to believe a team can be successful without utilizing the wide receivers but if what you are saying is true than i guess its possible since smith took teams 5 different seasons to the playoffs.

32 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Kenny Britt

Jeremy Maclin (Alex Smiths receiver in Kansas City)

Brian Quick (familiarity with our offense)

Dez Bryant

Martavis Bryant

Corey Coleman

Kendall Wright

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Jeremy Maclin

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

When it comes to a guy like Dez, I am not concerned about him not being what he was 4 years ago, I am concerned about where his own head is at.  The last thing this team needs is a guy who is going to walk up and down the sideline throwing tantrums if he feels he isn't getting thrown the ball enough.  We don't need that noise here on this team.  Dez still has something left in the tank, I don't doubt that, however I am not sure if this is the right place for him to land outside of the fact that it would be interesting to see him go up against the Cowboys twice. 

Yeah exactly, This guy is a sideline tumor, No thx.

I might be completely wrong about his time in SF, I just remember Vernon Davis was his primary target, plus he had Frank Gore.  But because I didn't want to look like I was just throwing things out there, I went to his Pro Football Reference page and did some research. Unfortunately, he only has a few seasons where he played all 16 games, and I really don't want to check individual box scores, but I can tell you Vernon Davis caught by far the most TD's of anyone.

I eyeballed several KC seasons as well, and only once between the ones I looked at of SF/KC did I see a WR as the leading TD receiver, Jeremy Maclin.  He definitely favors the TE and RB passed.  Jordan Reed should have an incredible season if he stays healthy.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He was invisible to me per usual but I wasn’t really looking out for him either.  Pretty much same old, same old in what I saw of him.

Yes and no. I watched through just once earlier, didn't focus on just him, but did replay most plays over and over a few times to focus on the blocks of all. Doc had that 1 dropped pass on a good defensive play, at least a few brutal block fails, and at least one other lousy route effort on a broken play. 

Who were Alex Smith's WR's in San Francisco?  Crabtree was but he took a few seasons to really become something, he was considered a total bust early on and I think he got injured.  Vernon Davis is a Tight End but he has unique speed for the position and he was often catching passes downfield.

He had Owens on the tail end I think too.

Edited by NoCalMike