Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I do think Richardson is also a key, but not necessarily in the way people think.  Personally I feel it would be a mistake to merely use him as "go deep" WR.  I'd rather they try to take advantage of his speed & quickness in other ways too.  WR screens, crossing routes, finding creative ways to get him in space on short passes that allow him to run after the catch.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 5:27 PM, HardcoreZorn said:

Not sure if it means anything or how accurate this is... But I don't recall many flat out drops from Doctson. It does seem like the majority of his targets came on 50/50 chuck it up types but who knows?

The thing about Docston for me is not about his hands. It's about his routes. He's not getting the targets he should be getting and that tells me he's not getting open. I see what he can do in a long-ball, one on one situation and it's great but he's got to get open on the intermediate routes. Those potential catches make a WR solid, reliable. He hasn't achieved "reliable" yet at all. 

Edited by Chachie

On 9/5/2018 at 9:25 AM, Chachie said:

It does. A little.  ?

I just haven't seen anything from this unit except from Crowder, who is not considered a "star receiver." I hope we end up with a nice committee and most importantly I hope Reed's injury-ridden past is behind him. He can be that guy who lightens the coverage on the others. 

You know, your post reminds me that Doctson mostly played without Reed, without a threat opposite him, and with a qb playing behind a poor oline.  I think he’ll have a nice season if he stays relatively healthy.  

Now whether it’s enough to erase concerns of him being a bust, or enough to justify a 1st round pick... I guess we’ll see.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jbird said:

Nahhh, I don't even see Doc being #1 come week 4/5. It all hinges on Harris or Sims emerging. Quinn has more potential than any Mr. Irrelevant ever! lol

Nah, we need a big time wide receiver.  Makes it a lot easier for Harris or Sims to emerge if Doctson is beasting out and putting some fear in defenses.

20 hours ago, Jericho said:

The biggest concern about Doctson is his horrific catch rate. It was at 45% last year and slightly worse for his career with his brief 2016 stint. It was stated the only people with worse numbers over their first two years were Breshad Perriman and Corey Coleman. Not company you want to be in. Of course it's a bit of a small sample size as Doctson essentially missed 2016 and barely played the first 5 games of 2017. And he was really bad at the end, only 6 catches on 23 targets his last two games. Though he was only at 53% before those last few games. Which really isn't good. Doctson has room to improve, so hopefully he does. But woof, those aren't good numbers

Keep in mind that the "catchable ball" percentage on passes thrown to Doctson last year was something like 45%...he was the only WR in the NFL last season with a "catchable ball' percentage lower than 50%.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Nah, we need a big time wide receiver.  Makes it a lot easier for Harris or Sims to emerge if Doctson is beasting out and putting some fear in defenses.

Between Doc, Richardson, Harris and Sims SOMEONE will emerge. Heck maybe Mr Irrelevant can be the man....

Coach Jay Gruden said Jordan Reed is "in great shape" and will play Week 1 against the Cardinals.

Neither Reed nor Chris Thompson are on the Week 1 injury report as the practice week kicks off. Both will play Sunday and be fixtures on offense. Reed is a back-end TE1 with upside, while Thompson is a solid RB3/FLEX.
Related: Chris Thompson

Sep 5 - 3:00 PM

On 9/5/2018 at 11:42 AM, Califan007 said:

Keep in mind that the "catchable ball" percentage on passes thrown to Doctson last year was something like 45%...he was the only WR in the NFL last season with a "catchable ball' percentage lower than 50%.

Are you sure that's not just the percentage of balls caught? Because there is a huge difference between the 2.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Player Team DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Passes Yards EYds TD Catch
Rate
FUM DPI
R.Cobb GB 48 61 41 63 -6.0% 62 -7.0% 93 647 657 4 72% 1 1/22
J.J.Nelson ARI 48 62 44 62 -1.9% 52 -2.7% 61 508 432 2 48% 1 1/15
P.Garcon SF 45 63 41 64 -3.8% 55 -4.7% 67 500 481 0 60% 0 1/12
J.Doctson WAS 37 64 22 67 -7.1% 65 -9.4% 78 502 593 6 45% 0

4/84

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Are you sure that's not just the percentage of balls caught? Because there is a huge difference between the 2.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Player Team DYAR Rk YAR Rk DVOA Rk VOA Passes Yards EYds TD Catch
Rate
FUM DPI
R.Cobb GB 48 61 41 63 -6.0% 62 -7.0% 93 647 657 4 72% 1 1/22
J.J.Nelson ARI 48 62 44 62 -1.9% 52 -2.7% 61 508 432 2 48% 1 1/15
P.Garcon SF 45 63 41 64 -3.8% 55 -4.7% 67 500 481 0 60% 0 1/12
J.Doctson WAS 37 64 22 67 -7.1% 65 -9.4% 78 502 593 6 45% 0

4/84

No, it was a QB's pass accuracy percentage per WR...I wish I could remember where I saw it...it may have been through a series of links in articles lol...

Ok, I think I may have started here?...This is footballoutsiders.com list of the most accurate QBs in 2017. Cousins is ranked 30th out of 35 QBs in terms of passes that traveled more than 16 yds--which I would assume a good percentage of passes to Doctson traveled over 16 yds in the air...and then it breaks it down per distance thrown on another chart:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

2nd Edit lol: Ok, I think I found a mention, not sure if this is the same thing but....I guess this guy charts every pass thrown by every QB.

"NFL Insider Cian Fahey has been tearing up the Vikings' decision to go after Cousins, calling him a less-creative Case Keenum.

Vikings fans, if you're wondering what Cousins would be like....think Keenum but without the creativity. pic.twitter.com/gLRjeYTvaW

— Cian Fahey (@Cianaf) February 27, 2018

If you think the Vikings are making a mistake, then you might want to turn this insider's notifications on."

45.1 percent of Josh Doctson's targets were accurate passes. He was the only receiver in the league below 50 percent #Cousins

— Cian Fahey (@Cianaf) March 4, 2018

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

With Harris out I expect Quinn to have a very good game.

I don't view this any sort of correlation.  Crowder is the man until proven otherwise.  A better correlation would be that with Crowder playing, Quinn might get some looks as Harris is not available.  ?

I don't play Fantasy Football anymore because I'm too busy.  However, when I did, I always looked for the breakout WR's.  There's a statistical link to potential breakout WR's based on year 3.  Here's an article that evaluates the potential breakout WR's with this regard revisited:

Breakout Wide Receivers 2018

I don't play Fantasy Football anymore because I'm too busy.  However, when I did, I always looked for the breakout WR's.  There's a statistical link to potential breakout WR's based on year 3.  Here's an article that evaluates the potential breakout WR's with this regard revisited:

Breakout Wide Receivers 2018

Also note that Richardson broke out in his player year 3 (which he missed a season so he did breakout in his full third year).  This is why I view Richardson as a smart acquisition for the Skins.  The only reason he didn't get more receiving yards was because he had to move up the depth chart and establish himself before he was utilized properly. 

18 hours ago, Califan007 said:

No, it was a QB's pass accuracy percentage per WR...I wish I could remember where I saw it...it may have been through a series of links in articles lol...

Ok, I think I may have started here?...This is footballoutsiders.com list of the most accurate QBs in 2017. Cousins is ranked 30th out of 35 QBs in terms of passes that traveled more than 16 yds--which I would assume a good percentage of passes to Doctson traveled over 16 yds in the air...and then it breaks it down per distance thrown on another chart:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

2nd Edit lol: Ok, I think I found a mention, not sure if this is the same thing but....I guess this guy charts every pass thrown by every QB.

"NFL Insider Cian Fahey has been tearing up the Vikings' decision to go after Cousins, calling him a less-creative Case Keenum.

Vikings fans, if you're wondering what Cousins would be like....think Keenum but without the creativity. pic.twitter.com/gLRjeYTvaW

— Cian Fahey (@Cianaf) February 27, 2018

If you think the Vikings are making a mistake, then you might want to turn this insider's notifications on."

45.1 percent of Josh Doctson's targets were accurate passes. He was the only receiver in the league below 50 percent #Cousins

— Cian Fahey (@Cianaf) March 4, 2018

On previous page too for reference

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:
 This WR corps is so unimpressive and he’s a big reason why because he’s expected to be such a big part of it 

Crowder is a solid slot receiver.  I'd even say he's an above average slot receiver.  Richardson is unique in that he's fast, but seems to take slow strides or something.  It's like his legs don't move quickly but he covers ground.  I'm willing to give him more time.  But Doctson…….