Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

On 8/29/2018 at 1:55 PM, jbird said:

No sir, I agree with you. Sims has WAY more upside. Quinn at his best is a good returner, and a good slot corner. 

Sims has shown big play, game changing ability, with the POTENTIAL of being a franchise talent.

the question begs.... how does a 6'5" athletic receiver "with the POTENTIAL of being a franchise talent" fall completely off the draft boards?

i know that he was hidden at the podunk University of Alabama, and nobody EVER notices players THERE....  but somebody should've seen SOMETHING in him before the draft?  no? 

i remain hopeful.. but perhaps a bit more tempered than you are.     

(still...he has seemed better than Quinn, to my amateur eyes)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with either Quinn or Sims. Predicting Mr. Irrelevant to take over the slot position without having played a single regular season game is a big stretch. Predicting Mr. UDFA to be a #1 receiver or even a TE that can adequately take the place of Jordan Reed is beyond a stretch.

I know people want some feel good stories, but really...

47 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

the question begs.... how does a 6'5" athletic receiver "with the POTENTIAL of being a franchise talent" fall completely off the draft boards?

i know that he was hidden at the podunk University of Alabama, and nobody EVER notices players THERE....  but somebody should've seen SOMETHING in him before the draft?  no? 

Alabama might be "Defense U", but it's passing offense has not been very impressive for years. Pretty easy for a  WR to go under the radar when you have QB's that don't throw the ball that well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Alabama might be "Defense U", but it's passing offense has not been very impressive for years. Pretty easy for a  WR to go under the radar when you have QB's that don't throw the ball that well.

Not to mention, wasn't Sims injured a couple of times when at Alabama?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Been months since the draft, but this was about all that stood out in my memory when people asked the question of why he wasn't a more desired prospect. Spent too much time injured and behind the 8 ball of other WRs. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes.

ACL and MCL in '15 and a Shoulder in '16. I had somewhat forgotten about those. And only 14 receptions in '17

Edit: But there is a silver lining in this cloud:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/5/19/17347788/washington-redskins-udfa-profile-cam-sims-wr-alabama

"On a team with receiving talent in spades, Sims had a big hill to climb to get on the field offensively. Undeterred, he embraced a role in kickoff and punt coverage, and managed to gain significant time on both units as a freshman. Sims developed a reputation as an outstanding blocker and continued to show out on special teams."

— Josh Chatham, Roll ‘Bama Roll

We talk about needed the WR's to be better blockers, looks like we got one that doesn't mind doing that.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

It happens. Is it rare? Sure somewhat. But you as a team have to realize when it might be happening to you and exploit it. Chances are  much greater that he is Taylor Jacobs than Megatron.  In my opinion you have to play guys like that in spot situations and see.  Practice isn’t the test games are.  It’s not like we have solid locked  in starters. Doctson is on his 3rd year of flashing and then disappearing. 

59 minutes ago, jbird said:

Lets keep 1- Doc, 2- Richardson, 3-Crowder, 4-Sims, 5-Quinn, and 6-Simmie Cobb.

Put Mo on IR, and let the squad know that he will replace whomever has the highest drop% by the time he is ready to return.

I’m intrigued by this idea.  Playing Devil’s Advocate, my main concern would be using IR (designated to return) on a guy that isn’t liable to have too much of an impact (and isn’t irreplaceable), when we might need it for any of our truly good starters that wind up missing time.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m intrigued by this idea.  Playing Devil’s Advocate, my main concern would be using IR (designated to return) on a guy that isn’t liable to have too much of an impact (and isn’t irreplaceable), when we might need it for any of our truly good starters that wind up missing time.  

Can you cut a guy on IR?

How many IR slots are there, and how long does he have to be on it before returning? 6 weeks?

9 minutes ago, jbird said:

Can you cut a guy on IR?

How many IR slots are there, and how long does he have to be on it before returning? 6 weeks?

1. If placed on IR prior to week 1, that player is ineligible to return during the season.  So nix that plan, lol.  

2. A player must be on IR for 8 weeks before being able to return.  

3. You don’t have to designate a player to return - you can see how they recover and bring back any two that you want (as long as you follow the other rules)

4. Don’t know about cutting IR players.  I tend to doubt it because IRed players count against the cap, so you couldn’t waive them with an injury settlement.  They also don’t count toward the 53 man roster, so being able to cut them wouldn’t seem to make sense.  Could be wrong though.   

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

1. If placed on IR prior to week 1, that player is ineligible to return during the season.  So nix that plan, lol.  

2. A player must be on IR for 8 weeks before being able to return.  

3. You don’t have to designate a player to return - you can see how they recover and bring back any two that you want (as long as you follow the other rules)

4. Don’t know about cutting IR players.  I tend to doubt it because IRed players count against the cap, so you couldn’t waive them with an injury settlement.  They also don’t count toward the 53 man roster, so being able to cut them wouldn’t seem to make sense.  Could be wrong though.   

Hmmm.

That being the case I would go 1 light on the LB or OL position carry 7 and let them know that in 4 weeks someone gets cut, and the highest drop% is the #1 determining factor with a weighting for TD catches. (every TD caught decreases the % by 2-6% or something similar)

Actually, I would go with 6 WR and plug Simmie into the PS and still go with the same contest to determine week-by-week who #1 and #2 are with Crowder and Quinn having the same contest for slot.

7 hours ago, jbird said:

Put Mo on IR, and let the squad know that he will replace whomever has the highest drop% by the time he is ready to return.

If it’s the IR that they can come back after 8 weeks then that’s a good idea ? 

JP Finley thinks that Quick is on the roster. What does he know that we don’t? Guys been in the league since 2012 and doesn’t offer much of anything at receiver. Only reason he gave in today’s pod was that he plays special teams. Can’t they find someone else to do that instead of Brian Quick? 

Edited by bobandweave

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

If it’s the IR that they can come back after 8 weeks then that’s a good idea ? 

JP Finley thinks that Quick is on the roster. What does he know that we don’t? Guys been in the league since 2012 and doesn’t offer much of anything at receiver. Only reason he gave in today’s pod was that he plays special teams. Can’t they find someone else to do that instead of Brian Quick? 

Doesnt Quinn ,Mo, and Sims though as well? Pretty sure they do...

Just now, dcdiscokid said:

Doesnt Quinn ,Mo, and Sims though as well? Pretty sure they do...

With Mos concussions I wouldn’t have him playing teams and your right the others have played there. 

JP is a smart dude with insider knowledge, don’t get who or why they want to keep Quick but wish I understood it

Only thing I can figure is that they’re worried about the injury histories of Richardson, Doctson (yes, I know he played all 16 last year) and Harris.  If they feel Quinn doesn’t fit on the outside and Sims is too raw to count on... Quick becomes the man by default.  

Now personally, I’d cut Quick and just hope Sims is good enough if we’re hit by injuries (or call up a PS guy or two).  I’ll also add that although Quick has not wowed me in any way (except for holding onto that ball in the Seattle game last year), I haven’t been mad at him either.  Add in good ST play and blocking, and I can’t say I’m down on the guy.  I just like Sims’ and Harris’ upside a bit more.  I’d also hold onto Quinn as insurance for Crowder... so I tend to agree with the consensus that Quick should be the odd man out.  

@bobandweaveTo be fair to Quick, leadership isn’t the same as production.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jbird said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and YES!!! Cobb has skills....I'd love to see him make it. Although Harris would be out but that's the way it goes....

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, NickyJ said:

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with either Quinn or Sims. Predicting Mr. Irrelevant to take over the slot position without having played a single regular season game is a big stretch. Predicting Mr. UDFA to be a #1 receiver or even a TE that can adequately take the place of Jordan Reed is beyond a stretch.

I know people want some feel good stories, but really...

Are you serious?  Cam Sims has been thee bright spot of this preseason for the Redskins.  Him and maybe two or three other players were the only thing worth watching.  I was even disappointed in Alex Smith.

23 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Are you serious?  Cam Sims has been thee bright spot of this preseason for the Redskins.  Him and maybe two or three other players were the only thing worth watching.  I was even disappointed in Alex Smith.

Marcus Mason and Marko Mitchell were the bright spots of our preseason as well. Colt Brennan too. I won't hold my breath.

For my money Quinn has to make the roster - he is a safe pair of hands on special teams and seems to be a solid target - i am not saying he will unseat Crowder but can be complementary - in Sims i see the same guy Harris was a few years ago - big intriguing but inconsistent makes the circus catch that wows everyone but is invisible at other times - watching Quinn he tends to find the soft spot in the zone and is a key back up. 

• Like 2