Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

6 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Quinn locked up a roster spot last night, period, end of story. 

Indeed. He can return kicks. That's good enough to be honest... But he does have a nice frame and can catch.

But I came here to talk about Cam Sims... Sure he's been mentioned a lot already, but I noticed him last week against New England. Dude could legit be playing himself onto the team. I say that because you might can't stash an Alabama player that's showing flashes on Practice Squad and Gruden has kept six receivers before.

Doc, Crowder, Richardson, Harris, Quinn, and Sims... That's a good mix of receivers right there.

• Like 2

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Not disputing his roster spot as I agree he's probably got a spot here,

just curious what you saw last night that stood out so much?  

He already demonstrated in college he doesn't drop the ball. I feel this is gonna translate to kick returning. His ease with punt catches last night and great vision made me forget just how bad Crowder was last year (IMO cost us 2 games on his own). Further, he executed 3 great route and catches. 

You can just see it, his game is gonna translate into the NFL. It's like we finally cloned some on NE's receivers that are pesty, gritty and effective.

• Haha 1

nice little piece on sims and noting other ways pre-season can matter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/cam-sims-followed-a-huge-mistake-with-a-big-play-and-still-has-a-shot-at-a-roster-spot/2018/08/17/c5090312-a235-11e8-93e3-24d1703d2a7a_story.html?utm_term=.85aae6e843d4

For a player living on the fringe of Washington’s final roster, this was disaster. Sims wasn’t picked in April’s draft, making him one of those longest of shots that fill training camp locker rooms: a young man who must be brilliant every day just to have hope. Now in what should have been his showpiece game, he lay on the FedEx Field turf, filled with despair as his teammates chased Middleton downfield.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

IMO Sims should make the 53.  I'd like to see Quinn return punts and kickoffs as stated by others.  I said I'd like for him to return punts, weeks ago.

Yes and Yes. I think Quick is the odd man out, and I don't want Crowder returning punts anymore. Not only was he NOT GOOD last year, but he's our main WR now. Need to keep him as healthy and fresh as possible.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

He already demonstrated in college he doesn't drop the ball. I feel this is gonna translate to kick returning. His ease with punt catches last night and great vision made me forget just how bad Crowder was last year (IMO cost us 2 games on his own). Further, he executed 3 great route and catches. 

You can just see it, his game is gonna translate into the NFL. It's like we finally cloned some on NE's receivers that are pesty, gritty and effective.

If we don't put Quinn on our roster Belicheck will be ready to pounce....

• Haha 2

It sucked to hear Jay talking pump the brakes on Sims in his presser.

The pin point precision demanded of WRs seems a bit extreme. I have a little theory.  A great QB can throw just fine to a raw WR. They know he will miss his break be off on his route a tad and still hit him in stride.  Dudes a playmaker and is this years official mr'ush.

Dare I think a raw WR would do better with a QB like A.Smith more than our previous QB.

https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/1030264366422282240

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Dare I think a raw WR would do better with a QB like A.Smith more than our previous QB.

https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/1030264366422282240

I'm still tryin to figure out how Sims didn't have any cracked ribs after that vicious helmet to ribs hit.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm still tryin to figure out how Sims didn't have any cracked ribs after that helmet to ribs hit.

oh he's sore no doubt. Mad respect fora guy whocan get over the alligator arms mid game. 

That is a real psychological victory. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

@RandyHolt that is a great point. It's one of the, obviously not the only, things that differentiates elite franchise QBs from both system and game manager types. 

Thanks - and good point yourself. Game managers need everyone on point so they can blindly trust the system. He wasn't at his spot so I didn't throw it.

The problem with that is, the D get paid. They will bump or press, commit uncalled PI, and otherwise make a perfect route into one that looks like it is run by a raw kid.  in the end, the QB has to take everything in and still make plays, and a great QB does that. The D force many plays off script, if even just subtle things like bumping a WR.

That raw kid? He always comes out of breaks a bit too soon and a great QB will know this.

That all said I am preparing for Sims to try to be stashed on the PS and then snagged by Indy.  Unless he can play teams.  That is where Brian Quick or Mo Harris may win out.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I noticed that... but then I also noticed his short memory as he made some phenomenal plays in later opportunities.   You can't coach that gritty determination to show out after a big mistake.   I think that's an incredible intangible skill for a wide receiver.   If we do streak him on the practice squad, count on him being nabbed quickly. 

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Vanguard said:

IMO Sims should make the 53.  I'd like to see Quinn return punts and kickoffs as stated by others.  I said I'd like for him to return punts, weeks ago.

10 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Yes and Yes. I think Quick is the odd man out, and I don't want Crowder returning punts anymore. Not only was he NOT GOOD last year, but he's our main WR now. Need to keep him as healthy and fresh as possible.

I'd actually like to see Stroman get some more chances back there over the next 2 preseason games....  He may be thrust into a CB rotation for the 4th spot, so they may be taking it easy on him, trying to avoid an injury, but he returned punts in college, and in the 2 returns he had, he looked like he could handle it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love for Sims to be our Hines Ward type WR, but he went undrafted and is a long shot for WR6 that may not even exist. 

Harris and Quinn (ST play)  are the WR4&5 locks imo. 

I'm almost 100% positive we will keep 6 WR, and that Sims will be one of them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Another question I had about Cam was answered.

Only two teams offered to sign Sims after the draft, Washington and Cincinnati. He picked the Redskins because three of his college teammates were on the roster. A silly reason, perhaps, but it might have been the perfect decision.

You draft four Alabama players and get one free. I don't mind rolling with the tide...

• Like 4

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎18 at 8:42 AM, veteranskinsfan said:

I like the preseason optimism with our young receivers.  Just remember two names from the past- Rob Gardner and Michael Westbrook.  They looked good initially and then both brilliantly flamed out.  Lets see how they do in the rest of the preseason games.  

Gardner and Westbrook were both 1st round picks and expected to contribute. 

We are talking guys trying to make a name for themselves and beat the odds here tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Gardner and Westbrook were both 1st round picks and expected to contribute. 

We are talking guys trying to make a name for themselves and beat the odds here tho.

very true...

I'd look more of a comparison to be Marko Mitchell, Anthony Armstrong, Terrance Austin, Aldrick Robinson