Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I really wasn't sure what order to go with so I put my receivers in the order of preseason hype and good camp reports. I just really haven't much if anything about Richardson. One or two catches in the endzone and maybe a fly pattern, but nothing that suggests he's wowing anyone. That could mean that he's meeting vet expectations.

The reason we hear more about Doctson is because we're looking for signs that he will emerge. Same goes for Davis and Harris. You generally don't hear a lot of excitement about good play from vets because they are supposed to do well.

I feel like I've been hearing my fair share about Richardson..  when I get to work I'll go back and see if I can find it. I want to say I've heard him and Alex are really clicking and hes looking positive 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I really wasn't sure what order to go with so I put my receivers in the order of preseason hype and good camp reports. I just really haven't much if anything about Richardson. One or two catches in the endzone and maybe a fly pattern, but nothing that suggests he's wowing anyone. That could mean that he's meeting vet expectations.

The reason we hear more about Doctson is because we're looking for signs that he will emerge. Same goes for Davis and Harris. You generally don't hear a lot of excitement about good play from vets because they are supposed to do well.

Richardson has been getting after it as much as everyone else.  I watched all his highlights from last year and he definitely balled out after being on IR.  He's obviously feeling better and this would be the year he could breakout.  He is fast too.  There's a valid combo there with Doctson, Reed, Crowder, Richardson...you've got talent at every point of attack.  Can't ask for much more than that except to add a RB that could potentially require some help to stop in the box.  Might come down to the coach.  If those guys are all healthy and don't put up numbers it's definitely on the coach imo. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, Morneblade said:

I think everyone would be happy with the WR situation if Reed wasn't injury prone. I think we can all agree that Reed is our #1 receiver when healthy, and he's a damn good one. Not only is the the ultimate 3rd down receiver, but he's a complete mismatch in the Red Zone. It's just that he hurt all the damn time.

Maybe this staff will figure out that less is more with Jordan Reed. Put him on a pitch count early in the season and only use him in third down and red zone situations for the most part. Use Vernon and Sprinkle more and gradually increase Reed's usage as the games get bigger. If teams can use a defensive line rotation with great success then why not rotate the TE's in a similar fashion providing you have confidence in all 3 of them? Keeping Reed healthy is imperative to our offensive success. I wouldn't play Reed a snap in preseason games....or just limit his snaps to red zone stuff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe this staff will figure out that less is more with Jordan Reed. Put him on a pitch count early in the season and only use him in third down and red zone situations for the most part. Use Vernon and Sprinkle more and gradually increase Reed's usage as the games get bigger. If teams can use a defensive line rotation with great success then why not rotate the TE's in a similar fashion providing you have confidence in all 3 of them? Keeping Reed healthy is imperative to our offensive success. I wouldn't play Reed a snap in preseason games....or just limit his snaps to red zone stuff.

That's interesting...I'd rather see Reed on 100% of red zone plays over 16 games than 100% of offensive plays over 6 games. You might be onto something here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't really mind this idea. If every NFL team can go for a third down back why not a third down TE or H-back. I mean it would key the defense, but since he almost never blocks on rushing plays anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I don't really mind this idea. If every NFL team can go for a third down back why not a third down TE or H-back. I mean it would key the defense, but since he almost never blocks on rushing plays anyway.

Apparently Sprinkle is looking more comfortable in camp so maybe that means we will have more flexibility, even on earlier downs.

As for Reed, we could split him out wide on 1st/2nd downs almost like an oversized WR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

it could key the defense to our advantage... Let them key pass and run a draw / screen on 3rd and 7.  

Regarding Reed... while my optimism is tempered in terms of health, I think this surgery was huge for him.  Won’t change the concussion concerns, but it seems like his multiple leg issues could be behind him as I believe they all stemmed from his toe/foot issue.  Love that he’s learned so much about his body and how to care for it.  

On top of that, I’m guessing his blocking was affected by an inability to push off.  Not expecting him to turn into a good blocker, but I could envision fairly serious improvement - like maybe from being a joke to mediocre.  

As to the pass catchers in general, I like that we have a couple downfield threats, Reed, Crowder (and Harris) in the intermediate level, and Thompson/Guice/Marshall (not to mention Smith’s scrambling) for short stuff.  

If we can add to those dynamics with some success with wr screens and Doctson/Richardson at the intermediate level, I think this could be an offense well rounded enough to challenge most any defenses.  

My concerns are 1) Doctson and Richardson performing more like one trick ponies, 2) the middle of our oline (LG/C) allowing pressure, [leading to] 3) Smith taking sacks and hits, and 4) all these guys (particularly those with injury histories) staying healthy - Reed, Thompson, the wrs and the tackles.  

I think it’s going to be a pretty exciting season.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

As well as he runs routes, I'd give it a shot, just to see how effective he could be out there.

I believe this is how Ertz and Gronk are used at times. 

Creates matchup nightmares. You can still have Sprinkle lined up in the traditional TE spot to block and roll out for dump off pass, if need be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

Apparently Sprinkle is looking more comfortable in camp so maybe that means we will have more flexibility, even on earlier downs.

As for Reed, we could split him out wide on 1st/2nd downs almost like an oversized WR.

I like it. Starts out as in-line TE. Shifts to the outside pre-snap lets Smith discover more about the defensive intent on the play. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Reed lines up outside a fair amount... I honestly would do it very frequently when we were running the ball, and have him run a fly route.  In fact, I'd have him run a fly route EVERY time we ran the ball, regardless of the alignment.  Even better, I'd tell him to AVOID the defender, make him chase you around til he realized Guice has the ball.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reed has lined up outside a good bit.  Honestly, he's not fooling anyone lining up inside on the line, he's not blocking anyone.

If health is still a concern with him, in regards to the posts above...I'd consider playing him not so much in the first half of games, but having him out for every series in the 2nd half.  Could keep the mileage on him low and defenses would have more to account for in the 2nd half.  Harder to make adjustments.

22 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I wouldn't hope Brian Quick fails because he's 6'3" 215...also didn't cost anything to see if he could valuable.  I can see him getting waived.  

I mean sure, if you don't care about production, then by all means keep Quick. But if you're keeping players purely based on measurables, why not keep Simmie Cobbs Jr., who is 6'-3" 220 and significantly younger than Quick? Or Robert Davis, who is 6'-3" 212 and significantly younger than Quick? Or Maurice Harris, who is 6'-3" 200 and significantly younger than Quick? Or Cam Sims, who is 6'-5" 214 and significantly younger than Quick?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I mean sure, if you don't care about production, then by all means keep Quick. But if you're keeping players purely based on measurables, why not keep Simmie Cobbs Jr., who is 6'-3" 220 and significantly younger than Quick? Or Robert Davis, who is 6'-3" 212 and significantly younger than Quick? Or Maurice Harris, who is 6'-3" 200 and significantly younger than Quick? Or Cam Sims, who is 6'-5" 214 and significantly younger than Quick?

That wasn't the context of my comment at all.  The meat of it is that it cost them nothing to get Quick and he is a physical presence as well as a veteran receiver that's not virgin to the offense.  Just making a sarcastic comment and ignoring my intended commentary is equal to trolling. Anyway, it's not just his stature that would compel any logic to simply discard him.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

My concerns are 1) Doctson and Richardson performing more like one trick ponies, 2) the middle of our oline (LG/C) allowing pressure, [leading to] 3) Smith taking sacks and hits, and 4) all these guys (particularly those with injury histories) staying healthy - Reed, Thompson, the wrs and the tackles.  

When I watch highlights of both Doctson and Richardson I don't see one trick for either of them.  There's a few examples of Doctson cutting routes short with DB's biting deep.  His comeback routes are money.  I wouldn't argue that his vertical ability and high point on the ball are special skills.  I view the logical next step for him as being able to run all 3 levels of the route tree at the same speed (ala Norman's grading of receiver strength).  If his routes evolve he's going to be making plays at every level.  Richardson's got some speed and makes plays across the field.  He catches everything (with as great of a one handed catch as Harris had vs the Lions).  Probably comes down to Coach getting the most out of his players.  

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, B.A.M.F. said:

I was impressed with our young guys at receiver. Still a lot to see/evaluate, but I’d say while we may not have a dominant #1, we will make defenses have to respect each receiver that is out there... I think that bodes well.

It does, but we will still need a run game that can get a few yds per carry when needed. Even with the other RBs, it can be feasible, but it will require a healthy OL. 

10 hours ago, B.A.M.F. said:

I was impressed with our young guys at receiver. Still a lot to see/evaluate, but I’d say while we may not have a dominant #1, we will make defenses have to respect each receiver that is out there... I think that bodes well.

Agreed, I think our 4 and 5 guys can be as good as anybody else's.  And I'd rather have that than a elite no 1 and nobody else.  A lot of good teams recently, Seahawks and Ravens come to mind, have had success with not too impressive wr corps.  I'm not worried about our wrs.  

11 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, I think our 4 and 5 guys can be as good as anybody else's.  And I'd rather have that than a elite no 1 and nobody else.  A lot of good teams recently, Seahawks and Ravens come to mind, have had success with not too impressive wr corps.  I'm not worried about our wrs.  

You need to take the Seahawks off your list.

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You need to take the Seahawks off your list.

Disagree with you.  Here is the box score from super bowl 49.  I know Doug Baldwin is good and kearse is decent, but a pretty underwhelming group as a whole.  My point is that other teams have had a lot of success with lesser wr units.

Seahawks receiving
  Rec4 Yds TD LG3 Target5
Chris Matthews 4 109 1 45 5
Ricardo Lockette 3 59 0 25 5
Jermaine Kearse 3 45 0 33 6
Marshawn Lynch 1 31 0 31 2
Doug Baldwin 1 3 1 3 1
Bryan Walters 0 0 0

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Disagree with you.  Here is the box score from super bowl 49.  I know Doug Baldwin is good and kearse is decent, but a pretty underwhelming group as a whole.  My point is that other teams have had a lot of success with lesser wr units.

Seahawks receiving
  Rec4 Yds TD LG3 Target5
Chris Matthews 4 109 1 45 5
Ricardo Lockette 3 59 0 25 5
Jermaine Kearse 3 45 0 33 6
Marshawn Lynch 1 31 0 31 2
Doug Baldwin 1 3 1 3 1
Bryan Walters 0 0  

Our #2 was their #4. So their unit is significantly better than ours.