Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

I've been resisting and resisting fearful of the Marko Mitchell syndrome 

But I'll resist no more.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2018/03/08/observations-from-alabamas-2018-pro-day/

CAM SIMS, WR

Injuries prevented what could have been a 1,000-yard receiver, but Sims’ hands, speed and body control drew attention on Wednesday. He was clocked by most scouts between 4.52 seconds and 4.59 seconds in the 40-yard dash: a solid time for a target standing at 6-foot-5, 214 pounds.

Sims, a Louisiana native, posted a 34″ vertical and 10’3″ broad jump. 

He caught every pass from ex-Tide quarterback Blake Sims during positional workouts, including a few receptions where he showed balance in keeping both feet in bounds. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Our #2 was their #4. So their unit is significantly better than ours.

You are talking 2017.  I am talking their entire run of success in recent years.  Their wr corps weren't anything special.  And I would say Richardson is our 3 behind doctson and Crowder, contract aside.  Do you feel the wr corps Seattle had in 2014 is any better than our current one?

22 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

You are talking 2017.  I am talking their entire run of success in recent years.  Their wr corps weren't anything special.  And I would say Richardson is our 3 behind doctson and Crowder, contract aside.  Do you feel the wr corps Seattle had in 2014 is any better than our current one?

No, I don't. But they also had Marshawn Lynch, and the #1 Defense in the NFL. But that was the year they got rid of Golden Tate as well. Going back and looking at several years, I would say that they had a slightly better WR corps. But let's be real, the Seahawks then were knows for 2 things. The Legion of Boom, and Beastmode. Passing was NOT what was going to win them games. Our D isn't in that league, and our rushing attack is anything but Beastmode.

Just now, Morneblade said:

No, I don't. But they also had Marshawn Lynch, and the #1 Defense in the NFL. But that was the year they got rid of Golden Tate as well. Going back and looking at several years, I would say that they had a slightly better WR corps. But let's be real, the Seahawks then were knows for 2 things. The Legion of Boom, and Beastmode. Passing was NOT what was going to win them games. Our D isn't in that league, and our rushing attack is anything but Beastmode.

Agreed 100%. The reason I am excited about the direction of the redskins is due to the balance and depth across the roster.  While I don't feel wrs are a weak spot, I completely agree that we don't have other units that are elite, such as Seattle secondary, balt defense, or new England QB to name a few, to compensate for the average units in other areas, in this case wr.  But my optimism lies in the fact that we are continuing to improve the roster, at least on paper, and the results will speak for themselves.  I'm hoping our front 7 is on its way to being elite, just as the legion of boom was, and that will be what carries us in the near future.  And as far as our wr core specifically goes, I think we have 3 solid starters and an above average set of backups in Harris and Davis (pre injury, see you in 2019), so I like our depth.  My point is I don't think the Redskins approach to the wr unit will be a hindrance to success in the near future, as other teams have proven.  Sounds like we are on the same page, with me maybe being a bit more optimistic on the wr unit as it stands today, but I am a self admitted homer / optimist.  

28 more days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed 100%. The reason I am excited about the direction of the redskins is due to the balance and depth across the roster.  While I don't feel wrs are a weak spot, I completely agree that we don't have other units that are elite, such as Seattle secondary, balt defense, or new England QB to name a few, to compensate for the average units in other areas, in this case wr.  But my optimism lies in the fact that we are continuing to improve the roster, at least on paper, and the results will speak for themselves.  I'm hoping our front 7 is on its way to being elite, just as the legion of boom was, and that will be what carries us in the near future.  And as far as our wr core specifically goes, I think we have 3 solid starters and an above average set of backups in Harris and Davis (pre injury, see you in 2019), so I like our depth.  My point is I don't think the Redskins approach to the wr unit will be a hindrance to success in the near future, as other teams have proven.  Sounds like we are on the same page, with me maybe being a bit more optimistic on the wr unit as it stands today, but I am a self admitted homer / optimist.  

28 more days.

Sounds about right. I suppose I'm in the "show me" phase, because I've been watching this team since the 70's, and really don't have any faith in our F.O./Leadership. That, and I'm still recovering from the Guice injury. I was actually getting a little excited at the team, because I was really excited about him.

30 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sounds about right. I suppose I'm in the "show me" phase, because I've been watching this team since the 70's, and really don't have any faith in our F.O./Leadership. That, and I'm still recovering from the Guice injury. I was actually getting a little excited at the team, because I was really excited about him.

Understood. I was born in 81, so am lucky enough to witness the glory years, but you'd think I'd learn my lesson after being let down so many times over the last 25 years.  Too stubborn I guess.

Guice was a real punch in the gut. And my lack of faith in this front office had me wondering if they put him on ir too early and another team could claim him, so when redskinss pointed out the rule change, I was like hey, at least he'll be back next year.  Could be worse!  Haha :cheers:

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 9:49 AM, TheShredder said:

From what's available I view the Receiving Corp as serviceable with an upside.  My intuition with respect for what might happen has Maurice Harris making some impact.  With a healthy Jordan Reed, Crowder gets some stress relief and Doctson has the opportunity to take the next step.  I'd have to put the rankings something like this:

1.  Reed

2.  Doctson

3.  Richardson

4.  Crowder 

5.  Quick 

6.  Harris 

I see this evolving over the Pre-Season, but my view is there's plenty of talented players and the upside is pretty good. 

Here's what I had before Pre-Season for our top receivers...  After 2 games I'll update it with:

1.  Reed

2.  Doctson

3.  Richardson

4.  Crowder

5.  Harris

6.  Davis

7.  Quinn

8.  Sims 

2-TE's  5-WR's 1-RB in the top 8 receivers. 

28 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Quinn and Sims need to be dressed on gameday. 

We have had receivers not stepping up for a couple years now. Sims needs to be starting. 

The rooks look hungry. Doctson, here is your wake up call. 

Not sure his route running is in any way threatening to Doctson.  He's going to get scooped off the PS if they don't put him on the roster. 

Edited by TheShredder

On 8/11/2018 at 12:19 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been resisting and resisting fearful of the Marko Mitchell syndrome 

But I'll resist no more.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2018/03/08/observations-from-alabamas-2018-pro-day/

CAM SIMS, WR

Injuries prevented what could have been a 1,000-yard receiver, but Sims’ hands, speed and body control drew attention on Wednesday. He was clocked by most scouts between 4.52 seconds and 4.59 seconds in the 40-yard dash: a solid time for a target standing at 6-foot-5, 214 pounds.

Sims, a Louisiana native, posted a 34″ vertical and 10’3″ broad jump. 

He caught every pass from ex-Tide quarterback Blake Sims during positional workouts, including a few receptions where he showed balance in keeping both feet in bounds. 

Kudos, sir *thumbsup*

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2

Really impressed with Cam Sims ability to drop his center of gravity, jab step, and then plant and move.  It's not common for one his size.  Also his ability to redirect to the ball in the air.  Doctson and Harris have that, so it's not like we're unfamiliar with receivers who possess this ability.

His drop was fear and alligator arms.  But then his TD that was called back was fearless and attacking the ball.  The guy played pissed after the drop, and I REALLY like that.

• Like 8

On 8/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, Morneblade said:

Seattle's passing game during their run was based on a lot of quick screen passes & Russell Wilson being able to extend plays, escape the pocket and improvise after initial play's were dead.  Seattle won a lot of close low scoring games during that era where at times outside of Lynch, the offense looked below average.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Harris

Quinn

Sims

Then Cobb on the PS

That's a super young group there. Crowder would be the wiley old vet.

I'm not sure how much of a positive that actually is considering he's only in his third year.  Am I crazy for that?

Sims is boss league btw, I'm a believer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure how much of a positive that actually is considering he's only in his third year.  Am I crazy for that?

Sims is boss league btw, I'm a believer.

Actually this will be Crowder's 4th year, and last of his rookie contract.

We need to get him and P. Smith to extend, so they don't hit the market next offseason.

Smith's having a good preseason to start with, I have this feeling he will have a big season in his contract year, and end up somewhere like Minnesota, and we will be looking at Ryan Anderson as our starting OLB, which I don't feel comfortable with at the moment, but let's see what he does this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Actually this will be Crowder's 4th year, and last of his rookie contract.

We need to get him and P. Smith to extend, so they don't hit the market next offseason.

Smith's having a good preseason to start with, I have this feeling he will have a big season in his contract year, and end up somewhere like Minnesota, and we will be looking at Ryan Anderson as our starting OLB, which I don't feel comfortable with at the moment, but let's see what he does this year.

Thanks for correcting me on that, but doesn't make me feel much better from a lack of experience in our receiving core.  Totally agree we need to try to lock them up before either one of them goes off this year, I can totally see that happening.

Simms has definitely shown me more in 2 preseason games than Robert Davis has shown me in 1 year. He's still a work in progress but the fact that earned the confidence in both his QB's despite his drop in the 2nd quarter and was forced out in the 4th on the game winning drive when his day was done to make that clutch catch to set up the GWFG showed me the coaches liked what they saw. I don't remember Davis doing that his rookie year..

I do want to see more of Darvin Kidsy, dude has shown some speed and agility. And going back to the NE game when Simms made his 57 yard catch n run. Kidsy got the same separation on his guy its just McCoy went to Simms instead, whether it had to do with which safety reacted to either receiver better I can't tell based on the highlights available. I but I want to see that kid make our decision even that much harder for us. This WR class on late draft picks and URFA is one of the more exciting groups I've seen

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Harris

Quinn

Sims

Then Cobb on the PS

P.rich is older, but Crowder has been in this offense.

I'm actually encouraged by our youth at WR.... I'm not ready to get worked up over the drops yet, but I don't want to see a trend develop either. 

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doctson

Richardson

Crowder

Harris

Quinn

Sims

Then Cobb on the PS

Well hang on, since we don't have Guice that might allow us to keep an extra reciever. I think we'd need a quick for veteran experience..

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Well hang on, since we don't have Guice that might allow us to keep an extra reciever. I think we'd need a quick for veteran experience..

I think Guice's roster spot is replaced by another RB, not a seventh receiver, considering our RB's are dropping like flies, and it was a weak group to begin with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Simms has definitely shown me more in 2 preseason games than Robert Davis has shown me in 1 year. He's still a work in progress but the fact that earned the confidence in both his QB's despite his drop in the 2nd quarter and was forced out in the 4th on the game winning drive when his day was done to make that clutch catch to set up the GWFG showed me the coaches liked what they saw. I don't remember Davis doing that his rookie year..

I do want to see more of Darvin Kidsy, dude has shown some speed and agility. And going back to the NE game when Simms made his 57 yard catch n run. Kidsy got the same separation on his guy its just McCoy went to Simms instead, whether it had to do with which safety reacted to either receiver better I can't tell based on the highlights available. I but I want to see that kid make our decision even that much harder for us. This WR class on late draft picks and URFA is one of the more exciting groups I've seen

Let's be fair, Davis was a project coming from Appalachian State. But he's a big guy that can really run, and his route running has gotten much better in a year. He looked really good against N.E. Quick was the odd man out IMO, and still might be. Sims needs work on his route running, but I really like what I see. Quinn doesn't look like Mr. Irrelevant. I feel better about this group than Pryor and Paul as our starting WR's last year. I really need to see Doctson step it up this year though.