Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Doctson to me is kinda a one trick pony. He's a 50/50 ball guy and that is really about it. He's not going to going across the middle and get you 1st downs. He's not a vertical threat. And her certainly can't take a game over. Doctson is just a guy that can get you some TD's on fades and jump balls. I really wish he was a more complete WR, but right now, he lacks in more areas than not.

Hmm.. The pass he caught yesterday was in traffic across the middle after he was interfered with. And I totally disagree about him not being a vertical threat. AZ committed to taking everything outside and deep away from us. To the point that the one time someone got behind them they held instead of getting beat. And they have a very good secondary. But since they did sell out for that the team ran up almost 200 yds rushing. Decisions have consequences. 

We are way too impatient with some of these guys. he had no first season due to injury. He had an up and down season last year but how much of that was Kirk not giving him chances? None of the WRs really busted out. 

Just saying may be worth being a little more patient with these guys than one game with Alex. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Not untrue, but I would buy the PP defense more if we didn't see a disappearing act in most other games from Doc.  Next week, the Colts have probably the worst corners in the league, let's see what he does then.  Buf then, it might be bad weather so he'll have a baked-in excuse.

I'm highly skeptical of his upside potential.  I mentioned it somewhere earlier that he's more Torrey Smith, than #1 WR.  And even he was better than Doc has been.  He's a compliment, at best.  Cant be anything more than that catching under 50% of the balls thrown your way.  Somebody else will always have to do the heavy lifting.  Year 3 is put up or shut up time.  

Me either, he's not consistent enough.  I dont think you're ever gonna look for Doctson on 3rd and 6 when you have to have it. 

The thing is, you have to think about that, because that happens every year.  The next season you can count on both Reed and CT for 16 weeks will be the first one. I fully expect one (or both) of them to come up lame for several weeks at a time this year.  

People keep talking about "Jay's offense" like we didnt have DJax, Garcon, and Crowder getting tons of looks.  The WRs have been a big part of the offense up until we stopped having ones we could rely on.

Other than maybe body type Doctson and Torrey Smith have very little in common as players. 

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless there are a bunch more injuries, there's no way that Dez will get an offer to come here. 

Your probably right but you can convince me that Dez wouldn’t help the group

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Mo Harris should be back soon, and if they IR a WR and need a fill-in, that guy will be Brian Quick.

He was one of the inactives yesterday. Concussions tend to reappear for those that get them. Not to mention Quick might be a stud teamer but what the team needs is a chunk receiver who will make plays and that’s not Brian Quick

48 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

High ankle sprains take between four and six weeks to recover from normally if no surgery. This is awful news for the receiver group 

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Could be.

the lack of calls Bryant has received says volumes to me.

It's not an emergency.. if it were, i'd feel differently,, emergencies force things.

Right now, nope.

~Bang

I think your making way too much out of him not signing based on this and the other posts you made in this thread.

First Dez is picky and not just signing to get a paycheck. If all he wanted was a check he’d be on a team now. Some players sabotage themselves with their demands. The narrative about Kap is he is blackballed when the truth is he won’t sign for under 10 million a season. Same with Dez, he wants to goto a good fit team and wants to play against the Cowboys. That eliminates a lot of the teams out there. This smacks in the face of the narrative he is all washed up to me. 

Given the news about two players on the 53 going to be out for a while adding him makes much more sense then adding a practice squad guy with no expirence or trying out the Brian Quick expirament again imo

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are Quinn and Sims gone for a while? 

A month minimum could be the season for them if the ligament damage is severe. Not ruling out surgery yet smells very bad to me, might be the worst case

25 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Other than maybe body type Doctson and Torrey Smith have very little in common as players. 

They're one trick pony vertical threats.  If they're going to provide anything, it'll be downfield. Smith might've been more of a speed threat, but that's ancillary to what the role was, which is what I'm getting at.  What purpose do they serve in the offense, and it's not #1 WR, get them targets, types.

Edited by justice98

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not going to disagree with you here, but I will say that I watched about 4 available games of all his (googled Doctson targets 2017) and I was surprised to see how many different ways he was used.  

Yeah, but his 44% catch percentage says he didn't a very good job, at all, at them.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Hmm.. The pass he caught yesterday was in traffic across the middle after he was interfered with. And I totally disagree about him not being a vertical threat. AZ committed to taking everything outside and deep away from us. To the point that the one time someone got behind them they held instead of getting beat. And they have a very good secondary. But since they did sell out for that the team ran up almost 200 yds rushing. Decisions have consequences. 

We are way too impatient with some of these guys. he had no first season due to injury. He had an up and down season last year but how much of that was Kirk not giving him chances? None of the WRs really busted out. 

Just saying may be worth being a little more patient with these guys than one game with Alex. 

Great, he made one catch. One. And that is one that he's dropped more than once last year.

Kirk gave him chances, he was the 3rd more targeted WR on the team last year. He just wasn't good.

He doesn't get separation with route running. He doesn't have great speed. He's not a big body target that will go over the middle, consistently, and get 3rd downs. He's not going to out muscle guys, and I don't think he's going to out-work them either.

He can jump. So he's you're "fade" guy in the end zone, or put the ball high where only he can get it. He's not a real quality WR right now.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are Quinn and Sims gone for a while? 

They reported High Ankle Sprains for both and to what extent will depend on the MRI's to rule out surgery.  With that...High Ankle Sprains mean at least 4-6 weeks and if they have surgery then they'll be IR'd for sure.  Can easily scratch them off for almost two months if they have even a medium grade high ankle sprain diagnosis. 

High Ankle Sprain from American Ortho

How long is the recovery?

As mentioned above, the recovery for high ankle sprains can take considerably longer than typical ankle sprains. In fact, it can take six to seven weeks before athletes return to play. In those cases in which a separation of the tibia and fibula or fracture has occurred and surgery is necessary, patients will likely need to be nonweightbearing in a cast followed by a walking boot for about 12 weeks. It is important to do early range of motion passively, meaning with the help of a therapist that moves the ankle, so help avoid stiffness. The screws are commonly taken out in a second, small surgery before full weightbearing is allowed so they will not break. 
Outcomes are generally good if the injury is recognized and treated appropriately. It is more likely, however, to have some stiffness of the ankle after a high ankle sprain as compared to a standard ankle sprain. This is especially true if a fracture has occurred. 

I'd expect Brian Quick to get resigned and active straight away.  
Edited by TheShredder
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Didn't even see Cam Sims on the field yesterday, wondering how the hell he got hurt.

Got hurt on the opening Kick Off.

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Your probably right but you can convince me that Dez wouldn’t help the group

That's probably true, but we aren't interested.

Even now.

Is it right or wrong, I don't know.

If Sims and Quinn are both going to miss multiple weeks, then unfortunately we are going to have to make tough decisions. I'd put Sims on ir out for the year, Quinn IR designated to return, bring back quick, and then look to others practice squads for the other spot.  Allen lazard from the jags has a similar frame to Sims.  Marcell ateman with the raiders was once a hyped NFL prospect. Or we could raid a division rival / upcoming opponent for Intel.  

I'd pass on dez, not good enough at this point of his career to be worth the headache he will be when the offense isn't run thru him. I also don't think kidsey is ready, but not sure he is any less ready than people from others practice squads. 

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I think your making way too much out of him not signing based on this and the other posts you made in this thread.

First Dez is picky and not just signing to get a paycheck. If all he wanted was a check he’d be on a team now. Some players sabotage themselves with their demands. The narrative about Kap is he is blackballed when the truth is he won’t sign for under 10 million a season. Same with Dez, he wants to goto a good fit team and wants to play against the Cowboys. That eliminates a lot of the teams out there. This smacks in the face of the narrative he is all washed up to me. 

You're right. I should probably read nothing into the fact that Dez is not playing anywhere and only got two offers, which he turned down.

He is so picky, 29 other teams didn't even bother to call, and the one he used to be with has elected to go with practically nothing rather than keep him.

The Cowboys might just have the worst receiving corps in football, and it's still good enough that they don't want him.

It is more likely the entire league is just missing the boat on this guy.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

If Sims and Quinn are both going to miss multiple weeks, then unfortunately we are going to have to make tough decisions. I'd put Sims on ir out for the year, Quinn IR designated to return, bring back quick, and then look to others practice squads for the other spot. 

If I'm not mistaken (though I could be wrong), now every player can come back from IR, but this is limited to 2 players. You don't have to designate them for return when you put them on IR anymore.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Wildbunny said:

Got hurt on the opening Kick Off.

That's probably true, but we aren't interested.

Even now.

Is it right or wrong, I don't know.

I'd say after the Scandrick experiment that there's no way they'd want an even bigger distraction like Dez Bryant in the locker room.  This situation doesn't meet the risk to reward benefit of having that issue introduced into the situation.   Not many teams are remotely interested in Bryant because he's not viewed as a good teammate or wish to deal with the possibilities that he'd be a distraction.  Plus he's not produced anything to warrant $5M a year.  Talk about a guy who visibly lost a step, that's Dez for certain.  

I'd be fine with bringing Quick back and hoping for Mo to be able to return.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If I'm not mistaken (though I could be wrong), now every player can come back from IR, but this is limited to 2 players. You don't have to designate them for return when you put them on IR anymore.

Ok, I thought you had to designate them.  Thanks.  And I would prefer to bring back Quinn and marshall over Sims. 

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

You're right. I should probably read nothing into the fact that Dez is not playing anywhere and only got two offers, which he turned down.

He is so picky, 29 other teams didn't even bother to call, and the one he used to be with has elected to go with practically nothing rather than keep him.

The Cowboys might just have the worst receiving corps in football, and it's still good enough that they don't want him.

~Bang

You don't know who bothered to call and who didn't.  All you know is that two teams made offers, which he rejected.  IIRC, Cowboys cut him because of his cap number, not performance.  Perhaps his performance didn't match up to his cap number, but the stats last year show that he's not washed up.  69 catches for 838 yards, 6 touchdowns.  That's not All Pro, but it's not bad.  If he could reproduce that for us this year, I'd jump all over it.

Bang, we get it.  You hate Dez.  You think he's a selfish jerk.  He's a longtime Cowboy.  Plenty of reasons to hate him.  

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You don't know who bothered to call and who didn't.  All you know is that two teams made offers, which he rejected.  IIRC, Cowboys cut him because of his cap number, not performance.  Perhaps his performance didn't match up to his cap number, but the stats last year show that he's not washed up.  69 catches for 838 yards, 6 touchdowns.  That's not All Pro, but it's not bad.  If he could reproduce that for us this year, I'd jump all over it.

Bang, we get it.  You hate Dez.  You think he's a selfish jerk.  He's a longtime Cowboy.  Plenty of reasons to hate him.  

Well I'd say that Jerry Jones at his ripe age of 497 yrs old won't ever admit he is wrong!  It's very likely that perception of Bryant in your locker room for the other 52 guys would leave a bad taste in your mouth about like having to eat a bowl of pubes every morning before suiting up!  

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Well I'd say that Jerry Jones at his ripe age of 497 yrs old won't ever admit he is wrong!  It's very likely that perception of Bryant in your locker room for the other 52 guys would leave a bad taste in your mouth about like having to eat a bowl of pubes every morning before suiting up!  

Yeah, Jerruh probably doesn't want to look like he's gonna come crawling back to Dez to offer his job back.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

If Sims and Quinn are both going to miss multiple weeks, then unfortunately we are going to have to make tough decisions. I'd put Sims on ir out for the year, Quinn IR designated to return, bring back quick, and then look to others practice squads for the other spot.  Allen lazard from the jags has a similar frame to Sims.  Marcell ateman with the raiders was once a hyped NFL prospect. Or we could raid a division rival / upcoming opponent for Intel.  

I'd pass on dez, not good enough at this point of his career to be worth the headache he will be when the offense isn't run thru him. I also don't think kidsey is ready, but not sure he is any less ready than people from others practice squads. 

designated to return is no longer a thing.  There's two returns and it can be anyone who goes on IR during the season.  We could sign Quick back and/or bring up Cobb, but unless Harris is also still out I think we might just make one move and skip IR, instead releasing someone like Josh Keyes.  As for the teams issue, if we do keep them on the active roster they would be on the inactive list, allowing guys like Perine and Adonis Alexander to suit up and take the spots on teams

• Thanks 1

I would look at Dez but like some have said, if our team isn't interested and many other teams around the league are also not interested then you have to think its because Dez is a headache.

Mo has been out a month now with the concussion, that can't be good.

It's hard to get excited about Doctson, Harris, Quick, Quinn, or anyone besides PRich and Crowder.

Doctson only had 3 passes thrown to him yesterday and he caught one and dropped one, don't remember what happened with the 3rd pass.

I do know he should have caught the one he dropped, he let the hit jar the ball loose and it was by no means a brutal hit.

Edited by JSSkinz

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Even tho Dez may be better than all our WRs right now, don't you think that Dez coming on board, learning our offense quickly, and being perfectly ok with not having the offense run through him is not a very likely scenario?  Not to mention he doesn't play special teams, which Sims and Quinn do.  Also, signing Dez would mean giving that roster spot to him over a young guy who could help us for the next five to ten years.  We know Dez is only a stop gap.  If he had an art monk demeanor, it would be an intriguing possibility.  But bringing in head cases never works out for the Redskins. The Patriots maybe, but not the Redskins.  

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Even tho Dez may be better than all our WRs right now, don't you think that Dez coming on board, learning our offense quickly, and being perfectly ok with not having the offense run through him is not a very likely scenario?  Not to mention he doesn't play special teams, which Sims and Quinn do.  Also, signing Dez would mean giving that roster spot to him over a young guy who could help us for the next five to ten years.  We know Dez is only a stop gap.  If he had an art monk demeanor, it would be an intriguing possibility.  But bringing in head cases never works out for the Redskins. The Patriots maybe, but not the Redskins.  

I think Dez knows where he's at in his career and he'd be coming into a locker room that seems to be tight knit and bonding.  He's not going to **** with that and if he does, he'll be out on his ass, quick.  I'm not saying he gets a multi-year deal, he should get the vet minimum and something that won't really hurt us if we have to cut him.  Dez would be coming into a situation where he's not the franchises #1 overall pick and looked at to be the man.  He'll be coming into a locker room where there are a lot of respected vets that'll expect him to be part of the group.

"Learning our offense" is the most overblown speak on sportstalk radio and fan websites, these guys are professional football players and they'll have a pretty good idea what to do.  If anything, "Dez, run a 15 yard out" should be fine.  Football is a language and these guys speak it.  Dez would be fine.

I admit that Sims and Quinn playing special teams is a big part of it but we need another pass catcher that's not a TE or a RB.  

You said it yourself, Dez is a stop gap, no one's confusing him for anything else.