Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think Dez knows where he's at in his career and he'd be coming into a locker room that seems to be tight knit and bonding.  He's not going to **** with that and if he does, he'll be out on his ass, quick.  I'm not saying he gets a multi-year deal, he should get the vet minimum and something that won't really hurt us if we have to cut him.  Dez would be coming into a situation where he's not the franchises #1 overall pick and looked at to be the man.  He'll be coming into a locker room where there are a lot of respected vets that'll expect him to be part of the group.

"Learning our offense" is the most overblown speak on sportstalk radio and fan websites, these guys are professional football players and they'll have a pretty good idea what to do.  If anything, "Dez, run a 15 yard out" should be fine.  Football is a language and these guys speak it.  Dez would be fine.

I admit that Sims and Quinn playing special teams is a big part of it but we need another pass catcher that's not a TE or a RB.  

You said it yourself, Dez is a stop gap, no one's confusing him for anything else.  

He turned down a 1-year $5m deal with the Browns.  Why would he sign for the vet min of $1m...  If you're guessing that he would just want to play against the Cowboys for vet min. then his head isn't screwed on properly.  I would be very surprised if #1 Skins consider it.  #2  That he would play for the vet min. However, if they brought him in and said hey, Dez...we'll give you a 1 yr. deal for vet. min. and you get to stick it to the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles 6 times this year, you in?!?!  and he takes it...that's probably the only way that would have a possibility (with a clause that he has to delete all social media and can't talk to the press without having all questions sanctioned by a hired media shadow).  

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder

Just now, TheShredder said:

He turned down a 1-year $5m deal with the Browns.  Why would he sign for the vet min of $1m...  If you're guessing that he would just want to play against the Cowboys for vet min. then his head isn't screwed on properly.  I would be very surprised if #1 Skins consider it.  #2  That he would play for the vet min. However, if they brought him in and said hey, Dez...we'll give you a 1 yr. deal for vet. min. and you get to stick it to the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles 6 times this year, you in?!?!  and he takes it...that's probably the only way that would have a possibility (with a clause that he has to delete all social media and can't talk to the press without having all questions sanctioned by a hired media shadow).  

He turned that down awhile ago.  Season has started, pretty soon people won't be calling.  Dez might have thought he had some leverage earlier this year but teams have moved on, he's out in the cold.  

I'd be surprised if the Skins considered it but I wouldn't mind if they signed him.  

Plus I wanna see him and Norman on the same team :rofl89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He turned that down awhile ago.  Season has started, pretty soon people won't be calling.  Dez might have thought he had some leverage earlier this year but teams have moved on, he's out in the cold.  

I'd be surprised if the Skins considered it but I wouldn't mind if they signed him.  

Plus I wanna see him and Norman on the same team :rofl89:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Yeah, but his 44% catch percentage says he didn't a very good job, at all, at them.

Yeah, I get that.  It’s not a good stat for him.  However, I really recommend watching those videos, they’re fun to see and they definitely altered my  viewpoint a bit.  

Look at it this way - I believe a poor oline, run game and receiving weapons lead to Cousins forcing throws.  I think you see this in action when you rewatch Doctson’s targets.  Explains the stat Cali posted as well.  JMO of course.  

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You don't know who bothered to call and who didn't.  All you know is that two teams made offers, which he rejected.  IIRC, Cowboys cut him because of his cap number, not performance.  Perhaps his performance didn't match up to his cap number, but the stats last year show that he's not washed up.  69 catches for 838 yards, 6 touchdowns.  That's not All Pro, but it's not bad.  If he could reproduce that for us this year, I'd jump all over it.

Bang, we get it.  You hate Dez.  You think he's a selfish jerk.  He's a longtime Cowboy.  Plenty of reasons to hate him.  

It isn't about hating Dez.. I'm too old for that nonsense. if a guy can help us he can help us, i don't think he can help us.

i don't think he has anything left, i think it's obvious by the fact no one is ringing his phone. The only buzz he gets is when he dreams who he wants to call him and is bored enough  to answer random fan on Twitter asking him during the game.

That's all.

The writing is on the wall. Dez iz dun. 

AND, i like our guys better.. i don't want to replace Quinn with Dez,, give me Cobb or Kidzy. The guys that we might need to replace are young guys too.. I would rather stick to the plan. I'm tired of picking over past glory, we have our own guys to work with, and I am excited for the group we have.

~Bang

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Bang said:

It isn't about hating Dez.. I'm too old for that nonsense. if a guy can help us he can help us, i don't think he can help us.

i don't think he has anything left, i think it's obvious by the fact no one is ringing his phone. The only buzz he gets is when he dreams who he wants to call him and is bored enough  to answer random fan on Twitter asking him during the game.

That's all.

AND, i like our guys better.. i don't want to replace Quinn with Dez,, give me Cobb or Kidzy. The guys that we might need to replace are young guys too.. I would rather stick to the plan. I'm tired of picking over past glory, we have our own guys to work with, and I am excited for the group we have.

~Bang

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, I don't think he's done.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cobb or Kidsy though.  Cobb in particular.  

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, I don't think he's done.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cobb or Kidsy though.  Cobb in particular.  

Dez may not be done physically but he wore out his welcome in Dallas with his antics and me first attitude. Teams see that and want no parts of a me player. If New England or Oakland, two teams who usually think they can get selfish guys to perform, won't touch Dez then that speaks volumes. 

My take on Dez (as a Cowboys fan).  At this point, he is a very limited WR.  I think he can still be an elite red zone wr, if you have a QB who will throw the fade and generally trust him to get the ball even if he has no separation.  He is a terrible WR to have for a conservative QB (eg Dak Prescott). 

He never developed the skills, like route running, that could have helped him stay a #1 wr for a team as age and injury took away from his ability to dominate physically. 

His personality can be a distraction, but it isn't as horrible as some make it out to be.  He doesn't get suspended or commit dumb penalties.  He does complain a lot, but he also can bring a lot of positive intensity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dez doesn't even know the playbook. The PS guys & the camp bodies that didn't make the team, do. And he sure as **** ain't going to play Teams.

And Jay's already seen the Me First diva antics when he first got here in a certain QB. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You don't know who bothered to call and who didn't.  All you know is that two teams made offers, which he rejected.  IIRC, Cowboys cut him because of his cap number, not performance.  Perhaps his performance didn't match up to his cap number, but the stats last year show that he's not washed up.  69 catches for 838 yards, 6 touchdowns.  That's not All Pro, but it's not bad.  If he could reproduce that for us this year, I'd jump all over it.

The top receiver last year stats wise on this team didn’t have that many rec yards. If anyone is using that to say he’s trash what does that say about what we got here now?

Thing is we have 11 million in space now. If all it was gonna take was a spot on the 53 and a 4-5 million dollar deal why not pick him up?

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Bang, we get it.  You hate Dez.  You think he's a selfish jerk.  He's a longtime Cowboy.  Plenty of reasons to hate him.  

I tried to explain to him that there are lots of reasons players sit out and don’t sign but it wasn’t understood. No one should paint a brush saying because a guys not signed it means he is terrible or a locker room cancer or any other thing to discredit the man. That’s simply not the case. In this case if Dez wanted any job he would have one. Some just hate the guy, some think of all of the ex Cowboys players and the memory makes them hate the idea. I come at this as what would help the team and ignore the past that’s all. Don’t mean to start any argument just voicing my opinion. I know it’s highly unlikely to sign Dez but I do think he would help the team

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Well I'd say that Jerry Jones at his ripe age of 497 yrs old won't ever admit he is wrong!  It's very likely that perception of Bryant in your locker room for the other 52 guys would leave a bad taste in your mouth about like having to eat a bowl of pubes every morning before suiting up!  

Jerry no longer calls the shots in Dallas, his son took over a while back. 

So what does 4-5 million a season get an NFL team for receivers?

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

Ryan Grant makes 5 million a season, Torrey Smith gets 5 myillion a season, so does Terrell Pryor. Isn’t Dez better then those guys?

2 hours ago, Bang said:

That's all.

~Bang

Thing to me is that this team is relying on older players this year at the critical positions - QB, RB, top corner, LT. 

Since they are playing with older guys then why not double down on that with an older receiver? We have a need for a chunk receiver now. Dez is done as for being a top receiver in the league but so is guys like Demaryius, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace to name a few. That doesn’t mean they aren’t still capable of helping a team. 

A lot of people thought that AP at age 33 was done too then he got a shot and just had a combined yardage game of over 150 yards yesterday. I don’t think that Father Time caught up to Dez as much as I think that he was highly overpaid and the Cowboys cut him to save money and that Dak isn’t as good as his reputation says he is. Sometimes we think guys are done but aren’t and have something in the tank left.

its a very long shot that we sign him and don’t have my hopes up about it. I would kick the tires on him and see what he has left because I see a need here and a team that’s trying to compete this year 

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Dez may not be done physically but he wore out his welcome in Dallas with his antics and me first attitude. Teams see that and want no parts of a me player. If New England or Oakland, two teams who usually think they can get selfish guys to perform, won't touch Dez then that speaks volumes. 

I don’t think that’s what it was. Dez was well liked around here (live in DFW). The problem was that he was a top paid player who didn’t want to take a pay cut when they asked him to when his play slipped. I don’t think it was bad for him to do that, the players can only play so long and teams imo should honor contracts they sign. 

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I get that.  It’s not a good stat for him.  However, I really recommend watching those videos, they’re fun to see and they definitely altered my  viewpoint a bit.  

Look at it this way - I believe a poor oline, run game and receiving weapons lead to Cousins forcing throws.  I think you see this in action when you rewatch Doctson’s targets.  Explains the stat Cali posted as well.  JMO of course.  

Oh, the OL was really bad, but I went and watched likely the same games you did, and there were several dropped passes that were good throws. There were a few that were throwaways as well, due to a huge amount of pressure.

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

No.

Dez with one leg is better than Ryan ****ing Grant.

Dez would instantly be the best receiver on this team unfortunately I don’t think Docston can get the separation he needs to give his high level talent a chance to make catches in the nfl like he was able to in college, Paul Richardson is what he is as is Crowder, I think Dez would def I’m still more dear into opposing def coordinators at this point the Docston does, that being said no chance he becomes a Redskin

Edited by CjSuAvE22

7 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Thing to me is that this team is relying on older players this year at the critical positions - QB, RB, top corner, LT. 

Since they are playing with older guys then why not double down on that with an older receiver? We have a need for a chunk receiver now. Dez is done as for being a top receiver in the league but so is guys like Demaryius, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace to name a few. That doesn’t mean they aren’t still capable of helping a team. 

A lot of people thought that AP at age 33 was done too then he got a shot and just had a combined yardage game of over 150 yards yesterday. I don’t think that Father Time caught up to Dez as much as I think that he was highly overpaid and the Cowboys cut him to save money and that Dak isn’t as good as his reputation says he is. Sometimes we think guys are done but aren’t and have something in the tank left.

its a very long shot that we sign him and don’t have my hopes up about it. I would kick the tires on him and see what he has left because I see a need here and a team that’s trying to compete this year 

i don't think ' we have other older guys" is a solid reason to double down. Smith is older, but he's also playing a position where this could be his prime.. Qbs over 30 are not old.  hell, 35 for some isn't old.

AP is here for an emergency..  and emergencies necessitate doing things you hadn't planned for..  we are getting a nice surprise by what AP has left in the tank, but again, because he's able doesn't mean Dez is. (Considering how many other emergency moves we've had to make over the last 10 years or so,, it's about time we got one that worked out.)

I also think we have a good locker room right now. Leaders are emerging, everything seems harmonious. Tossing Dez in there might not be for the best. (I am not one who thinks he's so "me-me' as his reputation. I think the idea he's a locker room cancer is not accurate.  Fans see him being loud and demonstrative on the sidelines and think they know what is going on, and every interview i've heard with Cowboys players say his cancerous reputation is ridiculous.) BUT..  tossing a guy who is so demonstrative in there with all these young guys might not be a good thing,, , as i said, i think our own leadership is setting in.. and it's homegrown. I like that.. this is something we haven't had here in a long time. Gruden's team identity is finally getting a chance to grow. I'd like to see what happens.

I think our statement release yesterday says we've kicked the tires..  they have more than enough film on him.

All that said,, last week our receivers didn't have to be involved too much to win easily.. let's see how that goes when we are in a better game. I might change my tune, but i doubt it.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Oh, the OL was really bad, but I went and watched likely the same games you did, and there were several dropped passes that were good throws. There were a few that were throwaways as well, due to a huge amount of pressure.

Dez with one leg is better than Ryan ****ing Grant.

I don't agree.  He is a good route runner and he is a perfect 3rd option WO. He had 573 yards last year with 12.7 Y/R.  It was actually a decent year for him given the number of targets.  

The thing with Dez is exactly what the cowboy fan said.  He has never developed as a reliable route runner, could be good in the RZ, but we have that already with Reed, Davis and I think Doctson. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

The thing with Dez is exactly what the cowboy fan said.  He has never developed as a reliable route runner

If true, and I don't have strong reason to disbelieve it, then I change my vote to no thanks. The top thing we need is reliable routes from the downfield targets.