Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Not reading the thread... but sign AB to a decent sized contract, but little guaranteed.  If we keep him on the roster he gets paid well - shut up and score TDs.

Sure this has been discussed here, but McLaurin and Brown is a good starting two, with Dims in the slot...😀

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

This receiving core is better than it's been in a long time.  I'm sorry, I didn't like the Garcon, Jackson, Crowder, Doctson group.  Jackson was so lazy.  Doctson was too scared to play in the NFL.  This young group we have is good.  

Excuse me....Jackson was LAZY? How? He was our most explosive WR (when he wasn’t nursing a hamstring injury). 

and i still feel like if Doctson had been healthy his first couple of seasons, he could’ve been better. But who knows, maybe he still would’ve been bad. I have   no idea. 

i will say I also like the WR core (Corp?) we have now. 

On 6/16/2020 at 8:10 AM, Vanguard said:

I just watched the hit, wow!  Burfict was headhunting.  Dirty play imo.

Or he is just a garden variety bipolar disorder sufferer. Make sure you are not choosing a bias beforehand. Then again... who knows what effect those particular brain chemistries are put under after bashing their heads for a living. 

AB is obviously going through an "unmedicated stage" in his bipolar "treatment".  I'm not ruling out brain injury from football affecting his psyche, but bipolar is a terribly difficult thing to medicate, its basically trying to treat an addiction to an overproduction of addictive chemicals produced by ones own brain.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:06 AM, TheShredder said:

place where it is obvious there's an issue it's at TE.  They will need to get creative to overcome that deficiency. 

Hmm. I have a feeling a bulked up Kelvin Harmon and Antonio Gibson will fill that H-back/Modern tight end role. 

PFF

NFL wide receiver rankings: All 32 units entering the 2020 NFL season

29. WASHINGTON

In a year of outstanding rookie wide receiver performances, it was Terry McLaurinwho posted the top receiving grade (86.5), which was good for seventh-best in the league. McLaurin combined slick route running with big-play ability, adding up to 15.8 yards per reception and a passer rating of 118.3 when targeted. 

McLaurin’s emergence as a third-round pick gives Washington plenty of hope, but they still have work to do to build around him. No other receiver graded higher than 65.0, with Steven Sims leading the way at 64.4. An undrafted free agent, Sims showed well in the slot, where he picked up 165 of his 310 yards. 

Yet another rookie, sixth-rounder Kelvin Harmon, ranked second among the team’s receivers with 365 yards to go with a 64.6 receiving grade. Trey Quinn has shown flashes as a slot receiver, though he’s graded in the 50s in his two NFL seasons. 

Veteran Cody Latimer joins the team after a career-high 300 yards last year with the Giants, but you should also keep an eye on fourth-round pick Antonio Gandy-Golden, who has a 6-foot-4 frame and the catch radius to produce immediately after an impressive 89.4 receiving grade last season at Liberty. Emanuel Hall is the other name to watch, as he ran a 4.39 40-yard dash at 6-foot-3, but he’s a project who is yet to play an NFL snap. 

The full story is McLaurin and numerous question marks, so while Washington has an excellent starting point for their receiving corps, the team needs at least two players to develop to rank above the worst units in the league.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-wide-receiver-rankings-all-32-units-2020-nfl-season

ESPN:

Ranking offensive weapons for all 32 NFL teams in 2020: Barnwell picks the best and worst

32. Washington

2019 rank: No. 28 | 2018 rank: No. 18

It's rock-bottom for Washington, which has a budding star in No. 1 wideout Terry "F1" McLaurin and little else after the 24-year-old. McLaurin was second among rookies in receiving yards and yards per route run behind A.J. Brown, and his speed proved to be absolutely devastating, especially when stretching defenses out of the slot. He was a couple of long misses away from a 1,000-yard, nine-touchdown season.

After McLaurin, though, the weapons for second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins are underwhelming. Washington has moved out disappointing additions like Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson, but the receivers who replaced them were Kelvin Harmon and Steven Sims, the latter of whom averaged just 9.1 yards per catch. Trey Quinn ranked No. 103 out of 111 wideouts in yards per route run. The organization is optimistic about Harmon and 6-foot-4 fourth-round pick Antonio Gandy-Golden, but over the past decade, less than 16% of fourth-round picks have topped 500 yards during their rookie season. And while it seemed like Washington would add tight ends to replace the departing Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis, those replacements were Logan Thomas and Richard Rodgers.

The running back depth chart looks like someone is dedicating a homage to your fantasy waiver wire of a year ago. Adrian Peterson and Peyton Barber are low-ceiling, run-only veterans who serve little purpose for a rebuilding organization. Derrius Guice and Bryce Love have serious injury histories and have combined for 95 pro snaps over their first three seasons. The big hope here is hybrid weapon Antonio Gibson, who is converting from serving as a wideout in college, but it would be a surprise if he's an impactful player from the jump. The bright side is that this is one of the youngest groups in the league.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29446061/ranking-offensive-weapons-all-32-nfl-teams-2020-barnwell-picks-best-worst

Definitely a bummer about harmon, for both his and Haskins development.  But trying to find a silver lining:

- 2020 will probably be a rocky season anyway, with games potentially getting cancelled and stars being lost randomly due to covid exposure.

- Harmon should be ready to contribute in 2021 due to timing of the injury

- Harmon isn't a fringe guy, he showed enough potential last year to solidify a role with the young nucleus we are building

- this opens up a roster spot for a guy like Isaiah wright, so we can better identify contributors as we work towards contending in 2022 or 2023.

It's also nice to actually be talking football and personnel instead of name changes, racism, potential front office misconduct, Snyder being a buffoon etc.  Hopefully next time we talk football it's good news!

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1