Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another one of our prospects that I havn't heard mentioned.

Very "Steven Sims-like" :

Slot receiver ; only 5'10 ; but he's a blazer.

Oh man did Missouri have a QB problem this year.  His production the past 2 seasons with Drew Lock were consistent.  And then his (and every other WR's) numbers fell off a cliff last year.  Watched a cutup of 2018 and 2019.  2019 QB had big issues with accuracy.  His 2018 cutup showed him mostly running quick hitches, which was disappointing, as it doesn't really tell us anything.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

Given the lack of experience and injury history of Guice and Love I don't see anyway AP is cut. Not unless he has fallen off a cliff physically and Barber beats him out as the 'veteran insurance policy'. Which I doubt.

I think they would like Guice to stay healthy, win the starting job and have AP spelling him - hell I think we all would.

Agree. I also think that Rivera considers AP an important veteran presence from a team culture perspective. He wants to build a culture where working hard is the absolute norm. Who is better suited to set the tone in that regard than AP?

Don't see him getting cut at all.

It’s nice to hear that they’re expanding his playbook. He said they still have him running sweeps and playing the slot, But they’ll also be splitting him out wide and having single receiver packages for him as well. Makes sense that there are times when he’ll be playing Z with AG flexing to the slot. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Cam Sims is tied for the most NFL experience in our entire (active) WR group.

Let that sink in.

I mean, I know what you're saying, they're all kids.  But depends on what experience you're talking about.  Because it's certainly not the experience that matters, which is actual games or snaps.  He's like 6th or something like that.  Not even counting Latimer, since you said "active".

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

I for one am excited about this receiver group. It'd be one thing if we had a bunch of 27-28 yr old JAGs out therre with the same level of production as our group--but this group has talent--and they're very, very young. People are saying we need a #1. We have one. There is a lot of skill and talent in this group. Whether it develops is a fair question, but to call it poor is wrong. it's unproven. There is a huge difference. Are you going to say the Eagles receivers (not including TEs, obviously) are better than ours?

• Like 2

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

He's quite the interesting prospect. Besides his speed, his route running was the biggest concern of mine. 

I liked (took me a bit to warm up to him) on the draft thread but never loved him because I didn't see him as a great separator.  

He has good hands, really good with contested catches but wondered about his separation skills especially if he had to play against a higher level of competition. 

But he's clearly a smart dude.  And if his speed is 4.4 as opposed to the 4.6 he was timed at the combine -- then I can get really excited about his prospects. 

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked (took me a bit to warm up to him) on the draft thread but never loved him because I didn't see him as a great separator.  

He has good hands, really good with contested catches but wondered about his separation skills especially if he had to play against a higher level of competition. 

But he's clearly a smart dude.  And if his speed is 4.4 as opposed to the 4.6 he was timed at the combine -- then I can get really excited about his prospects. 

I thought he got kind of lost in the mix because he went to a small school. I did see a guy who had that alpha mentality that could catch a football with bodies draped on him. 

I'm excited, if we have someone who can take pressure off Terry (apart from Sims) we could have a fun offense to watch and be excited for. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with this as well. He dominated lesser talent during the season but he struggled somewhat when trying to get separation against better DBs during the Senior Bowl. His route running isn't bad, but it can definitely improve. He has ok technique and pretty good "suddenness" but he also seemed (to my admittedly completely amateur eyes) to telegraph some of his moves and the DBs didn't bite much.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

If I had to bet on one guy breaking out over another, I’d greatly like AG’s odds over AGGs.

If AGG isn’t going to be that separator, he will need to develop trust in order to get some jump balls thrown his way. Without preseason to prove he can do it, that is not the easiest thing to develop. AG on the other hand will likely have plays drawn up specifically for him. He will get both opportunities to put up numbers and develop trust at the same time. If he does well, He will create a situation where the coaching staff, not just the QB will want to put the ball in his hands even more.

Its not impossible for AGG, it just feels like AG will be handed the opportunities early on while AGG will have to earn it. He might have to put in a few graveyard shifts to show the coaches how much he really wants it (Zombie pun)

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I for one am excited about this receiver group. It'd be one thing if we had a bunch of 27-28 yr old JAGs out therre with the same level of production as our group--but this group has talent--and they're very, very young. People are saying we need a #1. We have one. There is a lot of skill and talent in this group. Whether it develops is a fair question, but to call it poor is wrong. it's unproven. There is a huge difference. Are you going to say the Eagles receivers (not including TEs, obviously) are better than ours?

Yeah I'm more excited about this group than I was back in the early 2010s when our best receivers were geriatric Santana Moss and the likes of Jabar Gaffney.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hmm, Hostler only coached the Panthers WR's in 2019, for some reason I thought he was a mainstay there.  His longest tenure seems to be as the Ravens WR Coach from 2008-2013.  Overlapping with Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin, and then a young Torrey Smith.

That’s a pretty nice group there. Hopefully it bodes well for us.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:15 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Cam Sims is tied (with Quinn) for the most NFL experience in our entire (active) WR group.

Let that sink in.

Better than last year.

They've now got a#1 WR who's played with Haskins for years.

They didn't over pay for a #1 and will be able to pay McLaurin with an extension before having to extend the QB. 

They have young athletic guys motivated to be the #2. 

They found a play maker in Simms Jr. who found the EndZone 6 times as an undrafted. 

The team is situated well to add a missing piece when they are ready to make a move.  Exactly the reason I'm happy they didn't sign Amari Cooper. 

If Sims doesn’t light things up this season, we are a prime team to pay JuJu high WR2/low WR1 money next offseason. Seems unlikely PIT pays him, because he’s better in the slot and not an alpha #1 option—which, at 23/24 years old makes him the perfect young complementary possession/YAC option in the slot next to McLaurin if Sims doesn’t exceed expectations in an impressive way for an UDFA. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

... at least we're not last.

31. Washington TBDs

WR: Terry McLaurin
WR: Steven Sims Jr.
WR: Antonio Gandy-Golden
WR: Trey Quinn
RB: Antonio Gibson
TE: Logan Thomas

McLaurin is a legitimate building block, but every other Jenga piece here is balancing on him. Sims may be ready for prime time, but he’d be far better suited as a no. 3 option than no. 2. Gandy-Golden is a rookie but may be forced to contribute earlier than expected. Kelvin Harmon tore his ACL this summer, making this receivers group thinner than Christian Bale in The Machinist. Washington released starter Derrius Guice on Friday after Guice was arrested on domestic violence charges that included assault and battery. Gibson is a rookie who had just 38 catches and 33 carries last year at Memphis. Behind him is the 35-year-old Adrian Peterson, the long-rehabbing Bryce Love, receiving back J.D. McKissic, and the unremarkable Peyton Barber. Washington’s tight end position is in a two-way race with the Patriots for the league’s saddest. The nicest thing to say here is, like the rest of the organization, it will hopefully be better soon.

• Sad 1

Someone want to tell me how the Eagles are 6th? Ertz is a great TE, but Jackson hasn't played a full season in 7 years, Jeffrey is hurt again, Reagor is a rookie. They don't belong in the same breath as the Browns, Saints, Cowboys et al. And the Giants 12th? This is a terrible list.

• Like 1