Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

On 7/17/2020 at 7:53 AM, GothSkinsFan said:

Remember that photo of Haskins, McLaurin, Sims, and Harmon where Harmon looked pissed and some people said he wasn't getting along with Haskins?  What's the timing of that photo in regards to Harmon's injury.

that photo came out a week before the injury was reported. And the injury was supposed to have been several weeks earlier...so he was either injured then, or it was a month old+ photo.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Our WR's are so young, which I love for potential, but I gotta think that after this season we go after a stud in free agency given all the cap space we're gonna have. 

The cap will be rolled back a fair amount so I’d rather use all the space we have to front load any rookie deals we can take care of now. 

5 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

One thing, I'll be super interested to see this year is how much of a polymath AGG truly is and how that will positively affect his learning curve amidst all the other challenges unique to this season.

He’s such a smart dude, I honestly feel he’s gonna have no problem making the transition to the nfl. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he outproduces some of the higher picks like Aiyuk, Riggs and Hamler.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Our WR's are so young, which I love for potential, but I gotta think that after this season we go after a stud in free agency given all the cap space we're gonna have. 

Depends how they develop. Personally, I think oline may be the bigger need. Not sure we can handle it in the draft alone. We need a left side of the line and it's not a given that Scherrf comes back. Plus, with his injury history, he at least needs a very good back up even if he does return.

• Like 1

So Rivera is going to use the ramp up period to have a good evaluation at WR, but that is somewhere we could potentially add. Bit of an obvious statement I guess, there is not that much available actually if he wanted to add a vet. 

Good rundown on the WFT receiver situation on the Athletic (IMO worth the subscription): https://theathletic.com/1906656/2020/07/28/terry-mclaurin-aside-there-are-many-concerns-for-washingtons-receiving-crew/?source=dailyemail

I think Gibson will technically end up as a receiver, given how crowded the RB room is. Please God, I can't take another year of Trey Quinn or Jeremy Sprinkle. I think we keep three TEs: Hentges, Thomas, and Moss. With Latimer on the Exemption List, I'd say out WRs are McLaurin, Sims, AGG the top three, with Isiah Wright (Kaczor apparently loves him on ST), and Gibson? The RBs would then be AP, Guice, Love, McKissic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Good rundown on the WFT receiver situation on the Athletic (IMO worth the subscription): https://theathletic.com/1906656/2020/07/28/terry-mclaurin-aside-there-are-many-concerns-for-washingtons-receiving-crew/?source=dailyemail

I think Gibson will technically end up as a receiver, given how crowded the RB room is. Please God, I can't take another year of Trey Quinn or Jeremy Sprinkle. I think we keep three TEs: Hentges, Thomas, and Moss. With Latimer on the Exemption List, I'd say out WRs are McLaurin, Sims, AGG the top three, with Isiah Wright (Kaczor apparently loves him on ST), and Gibson? The RBs would then be AP, Guice, Love, McKissic.

We need to hope that Turner/coaches can figure out how to use 2 RB sets effectively.  20/21 personnel would limit the need for WR and TE depth.

20 personnel looked more doable before the Harmon injury:

McLaurin + Sims + AGG/whoever

No TE's

AP/Guice/Love + Gibson/McKissic/Love

21 personnel looks solid, it's not so bad just having a meh TE.

McLaurin + Sims/AGG

One of Hentges/Thomas/Moss/Sprinkle

AP/Guice/Love + Gibson/McKissic/Love

Problem arises when you start using 11 personnel for most of the game, as is the NFL norm.  We suddenly have 5 RB's, only 1 of which can see the field, while our WR unit is stretched thin, and we're relying on the meh TE room.  I think we have to hope we can put most of our talent on the field at one time, which means 2 RB's, and have it be effective against 2020 defenses/schemes.  Gibson/Love/McKissic have to all be really versatile when they hit the field.  And our o-line has to move really well in space.  Lots of screens, pulls going everywhere, etc.

• Like 2

WR competition is wide open. With Harmon and Latimer down (for now), you could argue there's only 3 "locks". McLaurin, Sims, and AGG. (depending if you consider Gibson in the WR or RB group)

Although Quinn probably is a sure thing to make it - not so much because of ability, but because we're so thin there. Same could be said for Kidsy and the "other" Sims.

Those 3 have an advantage unless an UDFA or younger player totally breaks out.

Unless we add a vet, this is going to be a super young and inexperienced group.

Was it @Vanguard that was a big Cam Fan ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

I honestly don’t know why we’re not using Gibson as a WR. If Love and Guice look healthy by week 1 plus you still have AP and Macissak, and you’re shallow at receiver and TE, wouldn’t it make more sense to use him like Randal El was used in Pitts?

It would make sense, in a logistical way, to designate Gibson in the WR group.

Since we're both thin at WR, and also thick at RB. That would utilize roster space efficiently.

But the key word is logistically. It also has to make sense in a practical, football way, to consider him primarily as a receiver.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

WR competition is wide open. With Harmon and Latimer down (for now), you could argue there's only 3 "locks". McLaurin, Sims, and AGG. (depending if you consider Gibson in the WR or RB group)

Although Quinn probably is a sure thing to make it - not so much because of ability, but because we're so thin there. Same could be said for Kidsy and the "other" Sims.

Those 3 have an advantage unless an UDFA or younger player totally breaks out.

Unless we add a vet, this is going to be a super young and inexperienced group.

Was it @Vanguard that was a big Cam Fan ?

Yea, lol, you remember that?  I thought he would make an impact, but he can’t seem to crack the 53 man roster.   He may not be as good as I thought.  But with how this season goes, who knows?  He may get a call to play on Sunday at some point.

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I honestly don’t know why we’re not using Gibson as a WR. 

He almost certainly will be used as a WR. I would bet money he will get more touches in receptions than carries (unless there is a rash of injuries to the RBs - which with the injury history of Guice and Love is far from impossible). But he's going to be moved around a lot - lining up as a RB and then motioning out to the slot. Lining up at slot and running jet sweeps, running fake jet sweeps, bubble/tunnel screens. Don't think he will run too many deep crossers from slot or seam routes, that will be more Simms role from that slot position.

Nor do I think he will line up a tailback and run inside zone very often.

Lets not forget he's a rookie who has never seen NFL game speed. We are asking a lot of quite a few very inexperienced players here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did some more research on Gibson, and if you had to pick one position where he leans more heavily to one side - it's clearly WR.

But it's also clear that he doesn't have a "true" position.

Some scouts considered that negative.

But of course, good scheming can make it a positive.

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but he could also make a good punt/kick returner.

31 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He almost certainly will be used as a WR. I would bet money he will get more touches in receptions than carries (unless there is a rash of injuries to the RBs - which with the injury history of Guice and Love is far from impossible). But he's going to be moved around a lot - lining up as a RB and then motioning out to the slot. Lining up at slot and running jet sweeps, running fake jet sweeps, bubble/tunnel screens. Don't think he will run too many deep crossers from slot or seam routes, that will be more Simms role from that slot position.

Nor do I think he will line up a tailback and run inside zone very often.

Lets not forget he's a rookie who has never seen NFL game speed. We are asking a lot of quite a few very inexperienced players here.

That’s my biggest concern. The lack of experience at every glamor position. I’d be really pissed if AP gets cut before the season starts which is a very real possibility with Guice and Love not having to worry about getting preseason injuries. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That’s my biggest concern. The lack of experience at every glamor position. I’d be really pissed if AP gets cut before the season starts which is a very real possibility with Guice and Love not having to worry about getting preseason injuries. 

Given the lack of experience and injury history of Guice and Love I don't see anyway AP is cut. Not unless he has fallen off a cliff physically and Barber beats him out as the 'veteran insurance policy'. Which I doubt.

I think they would like Guice to stay healthy, win the starting job and have AP spelling him - hell I think we all would.

• Like 1