Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

It's funny because the Vikes and Skins games were a lot alike.  Both Alex and Kirk started off fast and then cooled off big time as the game went on.

I think Alex played well, he hit the passes he should have hit and made some nice plays where he did the best with what he had.

Nothing special just solid play without any mistakes, might want to watch those fumbles, he had 2 but thankfully both were recovered by us.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It's funny because the Vikes and Skins games were a lot alike.  Both and Alex and Kirk started off fast and then cooled off big time as the game went on.

I think Alex played well, he hit the passes he should have hit and made some nice plays where he did the best with what he had.

Nothing special just solid play without any mistakes, might want to watch those fumbles, he had 2 but thankfully both were recovered by us.

Yeah man, however the main difference I would say is the Redskins were in control of this game pretty much the entire way. Once it was 24-0, maybe even before then it seemed like the play calling adjusted to start coasting where as The Vikes/49ers was more closely contested and in need of things to happen late to secure the win.   As mediocre as the 49ers offense looked, they had a chance late in the game for a few drives.  I actually thought Cousins looked a lot better out of the gate then he ever has in the burgundy & gold, but then he seemed to hit a bit of a wall and regressed as the game went on.

I unfortunately missed the first half and only got to see from 9:30 on in the 3rd quarter, and most of the damage had been done at that point. Highlights didn't feature much on Smith, but his box score looked as I had hoped, efficient! Defense wasn't as smothering as it was in the 1st half either, apparently. It sucks I missed a excellent showing by the D and Alex in the first half, but I'll take the results! What I saw out of Peterson was impressive, I do wish he had wrapped the football up with 2 hands after that huge pass play though. Not costly, but it could have been if the game had been closer.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

He's 1-0!!!!  Alex got off to a great start and it was so nice to see Reed and Thompson out there making plays today and what about AP?  Who saw this running game coming?  Certainly not me.  A very good first game!

I thought you were a vikes fan now....hmmm...who knew...

I thought Alex had a very nice game today.  We looked more efficient and polished on offense than I thought we would.  Had a nice run/pass mix going and got everyone involved.  Entire team looked confident.  

I'm not sure how Kirk played, because I didn't watch him play, because I don't give a flying **** about Kirk Cousins.

2 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

He's 1-0!!!!  Alex got off to a great start and it was so nice to see Reed and Thompson out there making plays today and what about AP?  Who saw this running game coming?  Certainly not me.  A very good first game!

Smith has won four consecutive season openers. Coincidence? How could you not see a running game coming after AP was signed?

19 minutes ago, zskins said:

Smith has won four consecutive season openers. Coincidence? How could you not see a running game coming after AP was signed?

Because I have been following the Skins and AP or not I wasn’t expecting a potent running game today  anymore than a pink unicorn

Alex Smith played about how I envisioned he would play in this offense when they signed him.  That's all you need to win.  AP played about how I expected him to as well.  Neither one exceeded expectations as they met them. I'm not asking for more than that in the first few games.  Seriously impressed with our young Center as Chase Roullier played probably his best game and he's just getting better.  If the OL and DL stay relatively healthy for any length of time they'll push the wins towards the ceiling vs the floor.  Entertaining game to watch.  Some decent work.  

4 hours ago, zskins said:

It wasn't that AZ didn't try to stop the run.  They had 8+ in the box all day.  AP had some holes to run through and play action behind blockers is a Skins staple.  Have to give AP some credit as well, he ran over Patrick Peterpuffer and a number of other former teammates more than a few times. 

9 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

It's funny because the Vikes and Skins games were a lot alike.  Both Alex and Kirk started off fast and then cooled off big time as the game went on.

Alex managed to connect on a TD right before the half ended, in contrast to Kirk who fizzled out when there were less than 2 mins in the first half.

also Kirk’s inability to convert needed 3rd downs towards the end of the game  could have actually allowed a 49ers comeback, if they weren’t so inept.   In contrast, Alex was never really put into a “must convert” situation due to how much of a lead the Skins had built up going into the 4th quarter.

7 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Because I have been following the Skins and AP or not I wasn’t expecting a potent running game today  anymore than a pink unicorn

To our defense, when did we have such a healthy OL and the right back to run the ball consistently?  Lets hope both the OL and AP remain healthy because if they do and with Thompson coming in as a change of pace back dare I say we will have a top 5 running attack in this league.  BTW Arizona has a very decent run Defense and we made them look silly today.

10 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah man, however the main difference I would say is the Redskins were in control of this game pretty much the entire way. Once it was 24-0, maybe even before then it seemed like the play calling adjusted to start coasting where as The Vikes/49ers was more closely contested and in need of things to happen late to secure the win.   As mediocre as the 49ers offense looked, they had a chance late in the game for a few drives.  I actually thought Cousins looked a lot better out of the gate then he ever has in the burgundy & gold, but then he seemed to hit a bit of a wall and regressed as the game went on.

What game were you watching?  The 49er's Alfred Morris fumbled on the 1 yard line of the Vikings and their TE dropped a pass right in the bucket with no one around him for miles.  So that is not mediocre. That is two players, one who is typically reliable - Alf - making two bone headed plays, or that is an entirely different game going into the 4th quarter.   And the 49ers D really cracked down on the Vikes in the 2nd half.    I think the Vikings lucked out a bit in that game but Cousin's was solid. 

The Skins controlled the line of scrimmage in this game and that is the big story IMO. CT is a stud and AP is running mad, but they are going to have watch his reps or he will run out of gas before mid season.    They have to get their WR's more involved for balance.  But Alex was known for going to his TE and RB in KC.  We will see. 

Analyst Takeaways

WAS-Redskins-Header.png

Quarterback Alex Smith is a perfect fit in the Redskins offense. Not only does his timing and accuracy fit what Jay Gruden wants to do, his athleticism also opened up a ton of option looks in the running game.

Running back Adrian Peterson doesn’t quite have the elite juice he once did, but he still runs incredibly hard. His vision on a handful of concepts today was impressive, and he benefitted from a dominant offensive line performance.

Pernell McPhee looks like a useful budget free-agent signing already. He was putting on a clinic against left tackle D.J. Humphries in obvious passing situations in the second half.

The Redskins had a lot of question marks in their secondary heading into this season after dealing Kendall Fuller early in the offseason. Quinton Dunbar did his best to answer some of those questions this week as he seemed to always be around the football.

Washington: With Alex Smith at the helm and a healthy offensive line, the Redskins can execute a deadly and balanced offense.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-nfl-week-1-redskins-24-cardinals-6

Last year I would comment on Cousins' play in a game and make it a point to differentiate between statistical and eye test performance. 

Smith's stats from yesterday are nothing to gloat about, but the eye test said he did well to me. He looked the part, the offense operated smoothly, and he hit dudes in stride.

I like Cousins, I'm rooting for him to do well. I was not happy they did what they did with him. I was less than impressed that we swapped him with Smith. But Smith looked good yesterday, and I felt a confidence with him I never felt with Cousins.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

With a healthy CT and JR, coupled with the running game, I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion.

Our WR are straight garbage can compare Thielen and Diggs to our WR. 

A 3rd down back can only take you so far and we can't count on JR. Their RB was a top 5 leading rusher the NFL in rushing before he got hurt.

This is actually giving more credit to Smith if he takes us far. We just don't have an outside the number guy. However tight end and 3rd down back fit Smiths game.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Last year I would comment on Cousins' play in a game and make it a point to differentiate between statistical and eye test performance. 

Smith's stats from yesterday are nothing to gloat about, but the eye test said he did well to me. He looked the part, the offense operated smoothly, and he hit dudes in stride.

I like Cousins, I'm rooting for him to do well. I was not happy they did what they did with him. I was less than impressed that we swapped him with Smith. But Smith looked good yesterday, and I felt a confidence with him I never felt with Cousins.

Smith works with what the defensive gives him and doesnt force things.

2 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Smith works with what the defensive gives him and doesnt force things.

He also hits guys in stride so that they can get extra yards, which adds up quite a bit over the course of a game.

I wasn't watching crowder and reed make circus catches. I was watching them not break stride and get extra yards. 

Smith is also faster on his feet than Cousins - in terms of moving within the pocket, deciding to escape the pocket, and straight line speed once he's out in the open.

All, except for the speed, of which can be easily explained by one being older and having started most of his career and the other being younger and having sat half his career.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

He also hits guys in stride so that they can get extra yards, which adds up quite a bit over the course of a game.

I wasn't watching crowder and reed make circus catches. I was watching them not break stride and get extra yards. 

Smith is also faster on his feet than Cousins - in terms of moving within the pocket, deciding to escape the pocket, and straight line speed once he's out in the open.

All, except for the speed, of which can be easily explained by one being older and having started most of his career and the other being younger and having sat half his career.

A very good point on hitting guys in stride and not putting his wr in tough positions to get lit up.

Hated the idea of having Smith over Cousins but can live with it. I see a more efficient QB who wont make boneheaded mistakes. His speed and rushing ability will create 2 or 3 big td this year im sure.

ya know...there's a fine opportunity here for most folks to not keep extending the predictable silliness of arguing  kirk v alex 

it's not like rg3 v kc or brunnel v ramsey etc etc

it's a case where the circumstances really allow for a perfectly reasonable "let go and move on"---other than critiquing the FO of course 

if ya like kirk, great, if ya don't, great, but there's no football reason to do the pookie dance of dissing either guy while fluffing the other for contrast

my bottom line upon hearing the deal was "wow, i am amazed they pulled off what looks like should be an even-up or maybe a little better deal as opposed to ****ing the whole thing up horribly" :)

and it's early, but yesterday was great

Archived