Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Because I have been following the Skins and AP or not I wasn’t expecting a potent running game today  anymore than a pink unicorn

I was, given Gruden has been game planning all preseason for this ONE Game. Now he has 1 week for the Colts...I am anxious to see continuity and another targeted game plan to stop Luck..can he bring a motivated prepared team 2 weeks in a row...*I* think he will and he's over the hump as a coach.

33 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

the predictable silliness of arguing  kirk v ale

It's predictable and it's silly but it's going to happen. Effort can be put into curbing it here (thread or forum wise) but in general the two are going to be tied together forever discussion wise. It's impossible given the amount of drama that preceded the shuffle. Not arguing or anything, I think I'm actually agreeing with you, just adding on, probably unnecessarily so.

Anyways...

The concern I have with Smith at this point popped up in a conversation last night with a buddy that's a fan of another team... He basically pointed out that Smith's MO is to start a season off strong and fall short when it matters at the end. I've not followed his career closely enough to know how fair that is, and I pointed out that having Reid as your coach doesn't bode well for meaningful football. 

Maybe Smith is the QB  gruden needs and maybe Gruden is the coach Smith needs. As much time as we all spend analyzing players individually, the sport forces dependency for the coaches and players in a way that make sit impossible to fairly, wholly, and accurately measure an individual.

Not that it matters, because it's 1 game. It means nothing in the big picture.

4 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

To our defense, when did we have such a healthy OL and the right back to run the ball consistently?  Lets hope both the OL and AP remain healthy because if they do and with Thompson coming in as a change of pace back dare I say we will have a top 5 running attack in this league.  BTW Arizona has a very decent run Defense and we made them look silly today.

Yes, I hope indeed I was just surprised I don't remember the Skins being that effective running in a long time.  It was fun to watch!

@TK will remember my old pal---now passed---49'er Phil. As true a fan as any, Phil actually lived in DC for a spell and even watched Redskins at RFK---something I never did-- during some great years. That was long before I met him when he returned to the left coast. Point being, we gt a lot of SF games in the pacnw, of course, and being buds with Phil, I watched many games with him and so saw Alex from the get go.

I have no great in-depth analysis or revelations, but I spoke well of him from the beginning and rated him higher than most fans/pundits did during those years. He didn't have a great rep overall, but I thought he was a top ten talent, potentially. I think we see Alex at his ceiling these days and that's just plenty fine. My main hope was that his last year at KC was not his big peak before a decline, or linked too much to that talent, along with him handling the challenging adjustments when changing teams.

What we saw yesterday bodes well to the degree one game is an indicator, and I think this is another case where Jay's credibility in the passing game and familiarity with the QB role comes in very handy in helping Alex, and Alex's greater "big-time vet" experience v. Jay's previous starers should lessen Jay's work in some ways. 

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This fact this thread exists still baffles me...

And we hope it helps you to talk about it :P

7 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

And we hope it helps you to talk about it :P

"Let's all get behind the starting QB of the team we root for!"

Group response: Ok!

/Thread

Shrug. 

:)

EDIT: I'm not suggesting closing the thread, I'm just baffled how anybody would NOT be behind the starting QB of the Redskins. 

Even Grossman and JC I was behind.  It would have been difficult, but I PROBABLY could have gotten behind Colt Brennan. 

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

You new around here?

I'm not new at anything anymore...

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I knew all that O Ye of Great and Constant Seriosity----when not morose or fixated on Jay. :D

Hey now, I make jokes. 

I'm reminded of a scene from Cheers when Frasier is told he's not dangerous, and he picks up a pair of scissors and runs around the bar with them held over his head, and screams, "see, I am dangerous, I'm running with scissors."

Don't know what made me think of that...

53 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I think we see Alex at his ceiling these days and that's just plenty fine. My main hope was that his last year at KC was not his big peak before a decline, or linked too much to that talent, along with him handling the challenging adjustments when changing teams.

As long as he keeps getting 120+ rushing per game he is gonna be fine. 

5 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

What's exciting is that we rushed for 180 yards and Alex Smith didn't even see him contribute significantly to the running game. When he broke contain he rarely got past the LOS and the one Read-Option play was blown up. He did have one or two decent off-schedule runs. 

My point is that I think there will be a handful of games where he posts 30-50 rushing yards...

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What's exciting is that we rushed for 180 yards and Alex Smith didn't even see him contribute significantly to the running game. When he broke contain he rarely got past the LOS and the one Read-Option play was blown up. He did have one or two decent off-schedule runs. 

My point is that I think there will be a handful of games where he posts 30-50 rushing yards...

To me as long as his backs get him 120+ per game and he is playing from in front he is gonna be great.  What will be interesting is a game we are down a couple scores and the backs have below about 75 yards.  

15 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

If we could continue getting almost 185 yards rushing per game, McCoy would be fine.  Except, how much of our rushing game Sunday was based on the Cards planning to not let our passing game beat them? What about teams that can successfully deal with multiple offensive threats?

9 hours ago, TheShredder said:

It wasn't that AZ didn't try to stop the run.  They had 8+ in the box all day.  AP had some holes to run through and play action behind blockers is a Skins staple.  Have to give AP some credit as well, he ran over Patrick Peterpuffer and a number of other former teammates more than a few times. 

Not taking anything away from AP but I was trying to stay on topic with Alex's success instead. VOS introduced the run thing with AP and all so I responded to his second thought in Alex's thread that he created...lol

8 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

To me as long as his backs get him 120+ per game and he is playing from in front he is gonna be great.  What will be interesting is a game we are down a couple scores and the backs have below about 75 yards.  

You define interesting differently than I do. 

I'm kidding...you're right, I'm anxious to see if we are multi-dimensional. The Cowboys won 12-13 games with this formula a couple years back...get up, run the ball, and wear your opponent down. But, that didn't end up translating into multiple seasons of success. 

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I saw several read options or at least read options actions.  At least two of them went for 10+ yards.

Smith turning and rolling left, is this a newer wrinkle in his game?

I had the impression he was more of a roll right for most part only QB. If he becomes more comfortable with this nuance of QB and a result manipulate pocket in either direction, another step may just be had by him. 

28 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not sure I agree there. I remember one RO that went for at least 10 yds. I think there were a couple successful. 

In terms of him getting rushing yds - I think it's not the yards it's the timing. He was able to make something positive out of nothing without throwing it away. It also makes the LBs think a little more. Ok, we can;t let this get 5 to 8 yds on us. i was really impressed with his decision making overall. Yea, he missed a few plays. But everyone does. 

It was a good first outing. Looking for them to keep it up next week. One game at a time. 

https://www.patriots.com/news/snap-judgments-week-1

* Speaking of Alex Smith, all that guy does is win games. In his debut with D.C.’s team, Smith helped Washington build a 21-0 advantage on the road in Arizona, before cruising to a comfortable 24-6 win over the underachieving Cardinals. Washington may be better than I thought, and I can’t help but think that I once again have underestimated how well Smith plays the game’s most pivotal position.

Smith completed 13 consecutive passes in the first half, and Washington got 96 big rushing yards from Adrian Peterson, plus 128 yards rushing-receiving yards from backup running back Chris Thompson. That’s a formula that should keep Washington in the NFC East race far longer than I anticipated.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure I agree there. I remember one RO that went for at least 10 yds. I think there were a couple successful. 

In terms of him getting rushing yds - I think it's not the yards it's the timing. He was able to make something positive out of nothing without throwing it away. It also makes the LBs think a little more. Ok, we can;t let this get 5 to 8 yds on us. i was really impressed with his decision making overall. Yea, he missed a few plays. But everyone does. 

It was a good first outing. Looking for them to keep it up next week. One game at a time. 

Sorry I was unclear there..when I said the RO play was blown up, I meant when he kept the ball. The only positive runs I remember were both on passing plays where he tucked and made something happen. I'm sure the threat of him keeping contributed to some good runs. 

My point was a positive one...we gained nearly 200 yards on the ground and that came without our mobile QB really contributing anything to that total. 

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This fact this thread exists still baffles me...

I started this thread because the Skins FO made a decision to bring in Alex Smith and I wanted all of us to welcome him and embrace him.  The moderators can terminate threads when they chose but I hope they leave this thread open so those of us who would really like to see our fanbase united behind our starting QB can voice that sentiment as the season goes.  I was perhaps the most fervent supporter of his predecessor so I wanted to set a positive tone by being the first to welcome Smith and express my support.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

You new around here?

Amen!  The QB position has been a divisive issue for some time even when the last one performed.  Now we have a good guy the FO committed to so lets commit also.

Archived