Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

24 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

"Swoon" :D

Good find. Unlike a lot of people, I really don't mind that kind of offense. I don't need the QB to be slinging it everywhere. I want to move the chains, get first downs, eat up the clock, and score. Pair that with a stout D, and you have a very tough team to beat, that can win in any weather conditions.

It's kinda ironic. I would MUCH prefer this kind of team than what we've had in recent past, a QB throwing the ball all the time, no running game, and no defense so your in shootouts. Nothing gives me more pleasure that seeing my team methodically move the ball down the field, take 7 minutes to do so, and score points. Then have the D get a 3 and out. The Cards game is EXACTLY what the Redskins to look like.

Me too as you know from my posts especially on the FA thread.  My only disclaimer is justified or not justified most of the people who covered Alex - at least the ones who popped up on the interviews I listened to question whether Alex is good at mounting comebacks - one writer citied they were so surprised that he actually did it in one game a couple of seasons ago and it was so out of character that they devoted a whole article to it.  Their take is Alex is a get ahead and maintain it type of QB -- but questionable in a shoot out or games that require comebacks.  Is that so?  I don't know. 

But when I listen to people who covered a player I try to encode it all the good and their version of the bad.  So for me, I hope I don't have to see a shoot out or comeback (love ball control, run game driven games)  but when that time comes -- I am open minded to his performance --good or bad.  I am not in the mode of being slam dunk that he will excel in that environment.  I got no idea.  But it doesn't escape me that multiple people (some who on the aggregate like Alex) question him in this department.  So I am fascinated to see how that goes down    Shootout with Aaron Rodgers? ?

Rewatching this game -- the next one should be a good test albeit the Colts defense isn't that good.  They were ultra conservative on Sunday.  A long pass in that game -- aside from the one to Richardson -- would be like 8-9 yards.  So I gather the Colts will crowd the line of scrimmage -- hence Alex will have a chance to go deep. We will likely get a chance to see if Richardson is our Tyreek Hill.

But to your point, I've never had an issue with QBs who are deemed conservative -- got no issue with a ground game driven, dink and dunk offense. I've been a freak about upgrading the run game and the middle of the defense to stop the run -- as you've been, too.  It is a winning formula -- no doubt -- ball control -- kill the clock -- keep your defense fresh -- keep the opposing offense on the sidelines.  Marty ball.  ? 

2 hours ago, HogRoast said:

If Alex can give us a 4,000, 25 total TD, 10int, 65% completion I don't know how we miss the playoffs.  

It appears he has already developed good chemistry with Reed, Davis and Thompson.  With Richardson and Crowder being the type of WRs that he has had success i expect th em to have solid years.  The guy who I see struggling this year is Doctson.  He doesn't fit Smith bc he is not a jumpball QB

My hope is Doctson is a 10 TD guy this year. With Reed, Thompson, Crowder eating up yards, Skins don’t need 11-1500 yards from a WR. In my view, Doctson will need to come through big situationally at times in games. The red zone and 5-8 big plays during the year. 

Many will I’ll judge him based off stats, and that won’t be fair. He needs to play his role and impact games when needed. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I agree. And Smith is kinda a odd bird as well. He's not going to make a lot of jaw dropping throws, but he's not going to throw a INT either.

And it's not like he doesn't have arm talent, he just is a conservative QB.

I'm not sure if this was a conscious plan with Jay to do so, but it seems like we've  decided to put a team around that will maximize Smith. Strong Defense, strong running attack and a efficient Offense is what Smith excels at. He is at his best on this type of team, and I think he can be very successful here.

This represents the plan for all teams, but I get your point. 

It’s interesting, the NFL appears to be shifting towards Alex’s style of play:

Quick/short passing game, identify mismatches for RBs & TEs, use slot WRs to move chains, mix RPOs/RO in run game and play action, screens to get guys out in space etc..

Not a lot of down the field stuff taking place in the league these days, as coaches continue to adapt high school and college schemes that minimize risk and feature skill players. 

Could not agree more, @Morneblade . Matriculate that ball, rest your defense, and frustrate their defense. FTW

( did you know there really was a Mournblade registered here?!? ) Start typing it in with the @. )

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Their take is Alex is a get ahead and maintain it type of QB -- but questionable in a shoot out or games that require comebacks.  Is that so?  I don't know. 

I'd say it is true, but looking deep into his WRs and OLs for pass protection tells me that he's been more behind the 8 ball than it would seem. I watched all playoff games, and the dude seems to have some rough luck in those matches. He's played pretty darn well in the postseason, and the stats match this, but his WRs and that PR he had in Frisco have really let him down. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

My hope is Doctson is a 10 TD guy this year. With Reed, Thompson, Crowder eating up yards, Skins don’t need 11-1500 yards from a WR. In my view, Doctson will need to come through big situationally at times in games. The red zone and 5-8 big plays during the year. 

Many will I’ll judge him based off stats, and that won’t be fair. He needs to play his role and impact games when needed. 

I'm not sure Doctson is that guy.

More importantly I want a reliable, clutch receiver WR to move the chains. I don't think we have that right now.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

This represents the plan for all teams, but I get your point. 

It’s interesting, the NFL appears to be shifting towards Alex’s style of play:

Quick/short passing game, identify mismatches for RBs & TEs, use slot WRs to move chains, mix RPOs/RO in run game and play action, screens to get guys out in space etc..

Not a lot of down the field stuff taking place in the league these days, as coaches continue to adapt high school and college schemes that minimize risk and feature skill players. 

I don't think it does, to be honest. I think a lot of teams are built around throwing the ball and defending the pass. I agree on the type of passing game as an extension of the running game, but I don't think a lot of teams really put the money into the running game. LT is the 2nd most important position, why? Because he protects the QB when he is throwing the ball, not because of his run blocking, ect. I do think some teams are changing their minds on this, but I'm not sure the NFL is going back to running and stopping the run.

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

Could not agree more, @Morneblade . Matriculate that ball, rest your defense, and frustrate their defense. FTW

( did you know there really was a Mournblade registered here?!? ) Start typing it in with the @. )

I did not know that! ;)

I'd say it is true, but looking deep into his WRs and OLs for pass protection tells me that he's been more behind the 8 ball than it would seem. I watched all playoff games, and the dude seems to have some rough luck in those matches. He's played pretty darn well in the postseason, and the stats match this, but his WRs and that PR he had in Frisco have really let him down. 

I don't think he's had anything as bad as Kirk did last year. And Kirk had stats (besides the glaring amount of turnovers) were career bests for Alex. Some of it might be personnel, but it's also partially due to Alex just being "careful". And I'm good with that.

35 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

If the Skins can manifest a decent running game week in and week out and essentially be able to be balanced than Alex isn't going to need to carry the team.  An improved defense and a running game in this first game made all the difference hopefully we see it this Sunday also!

I'm far too lazy to undertake the research, but I'd bet that in the last several years, Alex Smith has nearly a 100% win-loss record when his teams have a 100 yard rushing day/night. 

200w.webp

I'm far too lazy to undertake the research, but I'd bet that in the last several years, Alex Smith has nearly a 100% win-loss record when his teams have a 100 yard rushing day/night. 

I can't speak to total rush yards, but I know that from 2015 through this year Kansas City lost one game where they had a 100+ yard rusher. And that was in 2015 against I think Pittsburgh and Leveon Bell had more at around 150 or so.

I was watching some espn coverage of the Chiefs-Steelers one of the sideline reporters was taking abut how hyped the Chiefs are to have Mahomes now as opposed to Smith -- referring to how it took Alex 11 plays to do what Mahomes could do in 1 play.  Granted I am sure its hyperbole as to the excitement of having a new toy.  My point here has nothing really to do with Alex but the style of offense -- I want to take 11 plays to score, grind out the clock.  So I thought that statement was a bit ironic for my taste.

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was watching some espn coverage of the Chiefs-Steelers one of the sideline reporters was taking abut how hyped the Chiefs are to have Mahomes now as opposed to Smith -- referring to how it took Alex 11 plays to do what Mahomes could do in 1 play.  Granted I am sure its hyperbole as to the excitement of having a new toy.  My point here has nothing really to do with Alex but the style of offense -- I want to take 11 plays to score, grind out the clock.  So I thought that statement was a bit ironic for my taste.

This should not go unnoticed. Its why the Pats D LOVES Brady. He'll drop 38 on you, but at a slow enough pace to let them recover from each drive and digest what the other teams offense is doing.

Its no different than Body shots/leg kicks in Boxing/MMA... investing earlier reaps rewards later when it counts.

Let the big boys up front push the D-Line around and wear them out with misdirection.

Kirk looks great and Mahomes looks even better. Franchise QB’s aren’t traded much less traded twice. It’s time everyone here realized what the rest of the league has, Alex Smith is a journeymen game manager. We had a franchise qb and drove him away. At least we still have Bruce’s ego. Although the half empty home opener may take that down a notch 

4 minutes ago, BigHuv21 said:

Kirk looks great and Mahomes looks even better. Franchise QB’s aren’t traded much less traded twice. It’s time everyone here realized what the rest of the league has, Alex Smith is a journeymen game manager. had a franchise qb and drove him away. At least we still have Bruce’s ego. Although the half empty home opener may take that down a notch 

We are winning off the field.  :)  

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

We haven’t scored a TD in 6 quarters.

Alex Smith looks exactly how he has looked for 98% of his career. I was trying to temper the ppl that clearly hadn’t watched him beforehand but no. Had a lot of ppl telling me he was this gunslinging swashbuckler of a QB

yeah no. 2017 was an anomaly 

I wouldn't say 2017 was an anomaly so much as he simply doesn't have any talent around him on this offense.  Jordan Reed somehow was a ghost today, and the Wide Receivers as a group were outperformed by T.Y. Hilton alone. When the WR's did get the ball on deeper passes they dropped them with the exception of one pass caught over the top by Richardson.

Alex Smith is what he is, we all knew that going in, but you'd be hard-pressed through two games to make the claim that Alex Smith is out there missing passes.  I just don't think there are many plays to be made to this receiving core at the moment.

Smith is who he is. If you give him a good OL and a run game he'll do fine. We didn't have either today. He's a tier 3 QB. We downgraded when we went from Cousins to Smith(who just put up over 400 yards and rallied the Vikes from 13 down in the 4th to salvage a tie in Green Bay, should have been a W if not for his crap K).

Alex smith is check down Charlie. He can’t threaten a defense vertically and everybody knows it which makes us easy to defend. 

He had a nice season last year because Hill, Kelce and Hunt are all elite level playmakers. We do not have anyone like that which means we are stuck with 5yard passes to the RB and TE wth few YAC opportunity  

Since we torpedoed the Cousins situation, we should have just rebuilt instead of trading so much for an older Qb that isn’t dynamic and is actually pretty limited. We then doubled down on the bad decision by  handing him a $70 million extension 

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Smith is who he is. If you give him a good OL and a run game he'll do fine. We didn't have either today. He's a tier 3 QB. We downgraded when we went from Cousins to Smith(who just put up over 400 yards and rallied the Vikes from 13 down in the 4th to salvage a tie in Green Bay, should have been a W if not for his crap K).

Agree with all of this, minus the 3rd tier or downgrade. 

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Alex smith is check down Charlie. He can’t threaten a defense vertically and everybody knows it which makes us easy to defend. 

He had a nice season last year because Hill, Kelce and Hunt are all elite level playmakers. We do not have anyone like that which means we are stuck with 5yard passes to the RB and TE wth few YAC opportunity  

Since we torpedoed the Cousins situation, we should have just rebuilt instead of trading so much for an older Qb that isn’t dynamic and is actually pretty limited. We then doubled down on the bad decision by  handing him a $70 million extension 

More than anything else he needs a run game. When he had Gore in San Fran he was good. Last year he had absurd talent around him.

I'm not sure what happened today. On paper there is no reason our OL should have gotten whipped as bad as it did vs. a mediocre Colts front. We should have been able to run the ball a lot better.

The question for me now becomes: Do you draft Alex Smith's replacement immediately?

Looking at the current roster, and Alex Smith's contract, how likely is it that the skill position players are upgraded fast enough to make Smith's time here worthwhile? (I still say he is only going to be here for three seasons unless he re-negotiates afterwards).  Regardless of your feelings on Smith himself as a QB, it is apparent that he isn't going to amount to much with the current talent level, especially in games without a running game going.

We all know Alex Smith is a stop-gap solution, but the unknown is whether the team could at least sniff the playoffs or at least be in the hunt while he was here.  Still too early to say.

Archived