Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

15 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

BS!  Kirk had the same challenges last year and no one wanted to give him an excuse.  Alex Smith is the QB.  He has the ball in his hands more than anyone.  He has his full complement of starters on offense (including two of the best skills players in the NFL in Reed and Thompson).  He's got a healthy O-line, a defense that tightened up and made it a game.  A hall of famer at RB.  And he didn't get it done.  

Too many people on this board laid all the blame on number 8 if the team lost last year.  Even when the defense let Stafford drive 75 yards for a TD in 35 seconds.  So all those fans who were anti Kirk get to eat the crap sandwich they made. 

Alex Smith is who we thought he was. 

Also i never mentioned Kirk once and was a fan while he was here

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

Seriously?  Have you forgotten all the passes that bounced off Crowder's hands into defenders last year?  Or how about Doctson?  Good ole 50/50!

And what exactly did we win last year? I mean if you are a 7-9 team. Wouldnt you want to be a 7-9 team with a QB at half the cost?

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

And what exactly did we win last year? I mean if you are a 7-9 team. Wouldnt you want to be a 7-9 team with a QB at half the cost?

Let's be real. There's only one move that would have been "winning" the offseason. It would have been signing Kirk. Which would give us EXACTLY what we've had since 2015, massive contract and all. Winning the offseason indeed.

Smith today was ok, but I really think the play calling was pretty bad, on both sides of the ball. We run too much on 1st down, and it's predictable. I also think we needed to stick to the run more in the 2nd half, we got away from it too early. Peterson was finally getting a little room.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I love how this thread has devolved into which QB got better results from subpar talent around them.  That is where we are as a franchise. Sad.

When Kirk was here, the argument was always about how stacked our receiving corps was. My how the times have changed.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/nfl-quarterback-rankings-week-7-redskins-kirk-cousins-supporting-cast-contract

"No QB Has It Easier Than Kirk Cousins" - October 2017 (note: since this article, Skins have added Jordan Reed [injury], Adrian Peterson, Richardson, etc.)

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/nfl-kirk-cousins-contract-redskins-franchise-tag-bruce-allen

"All football stats are team stats, essentially. Cousins’ numbers belong to Redskins stellar offensive line, one of the two or three best pass-blocking units in the league. They belong to the league’s deepest receiving corps, which consistently bailed out Cousins over the last two seasons by hauling in errant throws."

https://riggosrag.com/2018/06/06/washington-redskins-alex-smith-cast-better/2/

"Is Alex Smith's Supporting Cast Better in DC Than It Was in KC - Yes" - June 2018

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Smith today was ok, but I really think the play calling was pretty bad, on both sides of the ball. We run too much on 1st down, and it's predictable. I also think we needed to stick to the run more in the 2nd half, we got away from it too early. Peterson was finally getting a little room.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but this week compared to last week, it looked like Smith was just rolling with the playcall as is. Last week, it looked like he was making more decisions to what the play would be. If you or anybody knows, do say. I doubt I will waste much time watching this terrible game again. 

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

No one is "making excuses" for Smith. No one claimed he had a great or even good day.  All I am saying is that without the aid of game film I don't really see anywhere that Smith was missing  passes to open guys.  I saw him dropping back, looking to go deep, and then having to check down.  Much like last week.  The difference is the run game was so dominant in Week 1 that the passing game being weaksauce wasn't as big of an impact on the game overall. 

The few times he threw downfield?  Two drops of balls that were in hands and a reception to Richardson.

Did you forget the shot to Crowder, who was open? Alex overshot it, it was a very makable pass for an NFL QB

I sort of feels like this will ultimately be on the coaches and front office.  We all have a scouting report on Alex Smith.  We've all seen the differences between when he has playmakers around him and when he doesn't.  

I have no issue with bringing Alex Smith in, however I do have an issue with the ability of our coaching staff and front office if they felt the current roster of skill position players was good enough to go into the regular season with.

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but this week compared to last week, it looked like Smith was just rolling with the playcall as is. Last week, it looked like he was making more decisions to what the play would be. If you or anybody knows, do say. I doubt I will waste much time watching this terrible game again. 

That's hard to say. But I will say it's a hell of a lot easier to change at home as opposed to being on the road. Today we got hit in the mouth, and did not respond. What was most concerning to me is how badly we were physically moved around on the offensive line. That was sad.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I sort of feels like this will ultimately be on the coaches and front office.  We all have a scouting report on Alex Smith.  We've all seen the differences between when he has playmakers around him and when he doesn't.  

I have no issue with bringing Alex Smith in, however I do have an issue with the ability of our coaching staff and front office if they felt the current roster of skill position players was good enough to go into the regular season with.

I don't get it. We have skill position players who are at least good enough to allow a scrub QB to put up 4,000 yards and 25 TDs each of the past three seasons. In fact...

https://riggosrag.com/2018/06/06/washington-redskins-alex-smith-cast-better/2/ 

"Is Alex Smith's Supporting Cast Better in DC Than It Was in KC - Yes" - June 2018

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Sure but then we extended Smith so he isn’t half the cost of Cousins 

Smiths deal is 59 million over 3 years. he wont see the rest of it. Cousins is 84 million over the same time period FULLY guaranteed. So yeah. Not exactly half. But:

"Another key part of Smith's deal is the salary-cap hits. In 2018, Smith ranks 16th among quarterbacks, at $18.4 million. In 2019, he ranks 19th, at $20.4 million, and in 2020, he ranks ninth out of the 20 quarterbacks with contracts extending into that season. He'll fall a lot farther once other quarterbacks -- such as Matt Ryanand Aaron Rodgers -- sign extensions. Over that span, Cousins' cap hits rank sixth, third and second, respectively."

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35994/in-contracts-for-kirk-cousins-alex-smith-new-teams-got-what-they-wanted

Honestly the biggest difference between this week and last week to me was last week it felt like the short passing game was by design.  Most every pass was being caught in stride against the Cardinals.  Short passes were going for big gains.

Contrast that with this week and it looked like the dump off passes were last resort options because nothing else was available. Passes were being completed to guys that were just standing there.

The run game success/non-success seems to have a huge impact on how well the short pass offense is going to work.   When you can run the ball and end up in a 2nd & 3....it is almost impossible to stop those short passes.  When it is 2nd & 10 instead, catching a 3 yard pass is a victory for the defense. 

1 minute ago, Sandy Monk said:

1 deep pass to a guy shorter than my penis? Yeah, let's run him outta town for sure!

It's just one pass in one game but the guy mentioned downfield shots. Like I said, that's a throw a good NFL QB can make pretty consistently.

Also, Tyreek Hill. Crowder isn't 80% of what he is but he's short and reels those in all the time

Just now, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

It's just one pass in one game but the guy mentioned downfield shots. Like I said, that's a throw a good NFL QB can make pretty consistently.

Also, Tyreek Hill. Crowder isn't 80% of what he is but he's short and reels those in all the time

Tyreek Hill is the fastest guy in the league, it's really hard to overthrow him even if he's not 6'4"

I think it’s fair to say that Smith wasn’t the problem but he also wasn’t a solution.

Just a crap day from the game plan, to play calling to execution by most everyone involved.

If the Oline doesn’t get it together and we keep running keepers that about get Alex killed, we won’t have this to even talk about anymore. Phew.

DeSean Jackson is sure making Fitzpatrick's rainbow deep ball look good right now, yeah?  Talent at the skill position matters.  You don't need to have a Top 5 or even Top 10 WR, but you need guys that can beat coverage.  There is no way all of our guys were being double-teamed, the math doesn't allow it.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it’s fair to say that Smith wasn’t the problem but he also wasn’t a solution.

Very true.  Smith didn't do anything to hurt, but did he do anything extra to help? Doesn't seem so.  Like I said before, without the aid of game film it is hard to say definitively if Smith was missing anything out there (suggesting there is chemistry issues due to being a new QB to the team?) or if there was simply nothing out there to be attempted.

I put Smith in the same tier as Cousins, you can with them, but not because of them.

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

DeSean Jackson is sure making Fitzpatrick's rainbow deep ball look good right now, yeah?  Talent at the skill position matters.  You don't need to have a Top 5 or even Top 10 WR, but you need guys that can beat coverage.  There is no way all of our guys were being double-teamed, the math doesn't allow it.

As a side note. DJax sure loves sticking it to the Eagles doesnt he? He has been a hell of a menace to them since they booted him.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I put Smith in the same tier as Cousins, you can with them, but not because of them.

Can’t argue that too much but Kirk still has another level to his game he can potentially reach.  Smith we knew what his ceiling was and and to get to that ceiling you need weapons that we don’t have.

The reason I wasn’t elated with last weeks game is because I knew this game was in there somewhere.  I like Smith in games where we control the tempo and can run the ball.  But when you have to sling it around the yard, I just don’t have any confidence he’s going to do that.

Archived