Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

30 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

We haven’t scored a TD in 6 quarters.

Alex Smith looks exactly how he has looked for 98% of his career. I was trying to temper the ppl that clearly hadn’t watched him beforehand but no. Had a lot of ppl telling me he was this gunslinging swashbuckler of a QB

yeah no. 2017 was an anomaly 

Yeah I've been on that same train.  I was at the Arizona game, i wasn't blown away by him.  But I liked him.  Short passes.  Conservative.  I like the RPO stuff and how it helps the running game.   I am not going to the opposite extreme after a loss -- I still like Alex.  I think he's a good QB.  But there was some hype by some who were so excited about the dude where he was described by some as a world beater -- I never saw Alex as a world beater.  I challenged that view point some -- and some gave me a hard time for doing so.  

My beef with the trade is I don't think they have the supporting cast to make a serious run with Alex considering his age.  But will see. 

I hope they learn from this game and bounce back.   I said on the Colts prediction thread that clearly the Cardinals game will give the Colts a template for this offense and lets see how the offense adjusts.  Today, it didn't seem to adjust well.  Keim said on twitter guys were blatantly open deeper on that drive where we were dinking and dunking down the field when we were behind by 2 scores.

I am ok with the dink and dunk, I like ball control but not when you are seriously behind and when you have to go multiple scores -- IMO take more chances.  If you make a turnover it is what it is.  Lets see what happens next week.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

The question for me now becomes: Do you draft Alex Smith's replacement immediately?

Looking at the current roster, and Alex Smith's contract, how likely is it that the skill position players are upgraded fast enough to make Smith's time here worthwhile? (I still say he is only going to be here for three seasons unless he re-negotiates afterwards).  Regardless of your feelings on Smith himself as a QB, it is apparent that he isn't going to amount to much with the current talent level, especially in games without a running game going.

We all know Alex Smith is a stop-gap solution, but the unknown is whether the team could at least sniff the playoffs or at least be in the hunt while he was here.  Still too early to say.

Seems we are stuck with Smith for a few years, so you may as well build the team around the QB position, and draft one in 2020 to learn yr 1 behind him. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My beef with the trade is I don't think they have the supporting cast to make a serious run with Alex considering his age.  But will see. 

I had great contention with this part, but after that game, oh my do I need to absorb the shock. Part of me is hoping that this was just one of those everything goes wrong days. Losing in the trenches on both ends to the Colts was shocking to me. Shocking. Did I mention shocking? 

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The question for me now becomes: Do you draft Alex Smith's replacement immediately?

Looking at the current roster, and Alex Smith's contract, how likely is it that the skill position players are upgraded fast enough to make Smith's time here worthwhile? (I still say he is only going to be here for three seasons unless he re-negotiates afterwards).  Regardless of your feelings on Smith himself as a QB, it is apparent that he isn't going to amount to much with the current talent level, especially in games without a running game going.

We all know Alex Smith is a stop-gap solution, but the unknown is whether the team could at least sniff the playoffs or at least be in the hunt while he was here.  Still too early to say.

Regardless of whether Smith does well or not, I'd want the team to pick a QB early next draft. If Smith is good, then the our new QB gets to sit for a while and not be rushed. If Smith is bad, we've got Plan B on the team. Only way I'd pass it up is if there's a can't-miss WR or G in front of us.

19 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Seems we are stuck with Smith for a few years, so you may as well build the team around the QB position, and draft one in 2020 to learn yr 1 behind him. 

I had great contention with this part, but after that game, oh my do I need to absorb the shock. Part of me is hoping that this was just one of those everything goes wrong days. Losing in the trenches on both ends to the Colts was shocking to me. Shocking. Did I mention shocking? 

The game was shocking for me too.  Because its not that I think Alex inherited a bad roster.  I thought he inherited a good roster -- just not a great roster.   The NFC to me is too stacked for them to go far in the playoffs IMO with a good roster.    And I think Alex is a good QB not a great one.  In short, I think a great QB can elevate a good roster.  But a good QB isn't going to elevate a good roster -- a good QB IMO needs a great roster. 

I like Jay but at the moment I am a little annoyed at him for today (I'll get over it though) -- one of the worst performances I've seen from the team in the last 4 seasons.   These Thompson comments below irk me.   DJ Swearinger saying maybe they listened to the media hype too much after their week 1 win.  I am tired of guys like Stephen Smith making a punch line out of the Redskins not handling prosperity well.   Santana Moss said he was on the sidelines before the game and thought they looked flat. 

1. Thompson on facing Green Bay next week - If we don’t get it together we will get embarrassed again

2. Chris Thompson- They just played harder than us. That’s it.

Last week 2 biggest questions were pass rush and lack of downfield throws. Those are very serious questions now.

3 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

Smith wasnt the problem. Dropped downfield passes on 3rd down, no running game, no blocking, rushing right up the a gap without being touched, just horrible team football. 

Patented redskins football since 1991

Agreed. Smith didn't elevate the team, but he was far from the problem. Dominated trenches and being outschemed win out. 

3 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

Smith wasnt the problem. Dropped downfield passes on 3rd down, no running game, no blocking, rushing right up the a gap without being touched, just horrible team football. 

Patented redskins football since 1991

Smith wasn't the problem today. But he is who he is: if the rest of the team isn't up to a certain level, he can't do much to elevate them. Even Cousins managed to put up #s and win some games despite garbagio around him last year.

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

i had a feeling they would come out and play like crap when the OL pulled that dumb ass stunt with the business friday . 

Seriously. They do good 1 week and as usual, think they won the super bowl and half ass the next week of practice. At this point, its coaching because this is about the 4th or 5th time it has happened after a big win, if not more. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Smith wasn't the problem today. But he is who he is: if the rest of the team isn't up to a certain level, he can't do much to elevate them. Even Cousins managed to put up #s and win some games despite garbagio around him last year.

Cant help when doctson is a **** and short arms a 40 yard sideline pass. Little ****. And Richardson dropping a perfect pass down the middle on 3rd down. 

Big spots, this team, for 25 years, comes up small, no matter who is playing, no matter who is coaching. 

19 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

BS!  Kirk had the same challenges last year and no one wanted to give him an excuse.  Alex Smith is the QB.  He has the ball in his hands more than anyone.  He has his full complement of starters on offense (including two of the best skills players in the NFL in Reed and Thompson).  He's got a healthy O-line, a defense that tightened up and made it a game.  A hall of famer at RB.  And he didn't get it done.  

Too many people on this board laid all the blame on number 8 if the team lost last year.  Even when the defense let Stafford drive 75 yards for a TD in 35 seconds.  So all those fans who were anti Kirk get to eat the crap sandwich they made. 

Alex Smith is who we thought he was. 

16 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Agreed. Smith didn't elevate the team, but he was far from the problem. Dominated trenches and being outschemed win out. 

Kirk had to deal with that for 3 years straight.  Each year he put up over 4k in yardage.  Stop making excuses for 11.  You'll just make yourself sick.

5 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

BS!  Kirk had the same challenges last year and no one wanted to give him an excuse.  Alex Smith is the QB.  He has the ball in his hands more than anyone.  He has his full complement of starters on offense (including two of the best skills players in the NFL in Reed and Thompson).  He's got a healthy O-line, a defense that tightened up and made it a game.  A hall of famer at RB.  And he didn't get it done.  

Too many people on this board laid all the blame on number 8 if the team lost last year.  Even when the defense let Stafford drive 75 yards for a TD in 35 seconds.  So all those fans who were anti Kirk get to eat the crap sandwich they made. 

Alex Smith is who we thought he was. 

Idc about Cousins. Get over it, he isnt here. I said the same **** last year too. Also, Smith wins everywhere else. 

3 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Id like a D coordinator that blitz and an offensive coordinator that creates a running game for deep play action plays.

They blitzed today.

Long, looping, delayed blitzes against a quick throwing short offense....made no sense. Then they came out the 2nd half and continued the same garbage.

5 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

Idc about Cousins. Get over it, he isnt here. I said the same **** last year too. Also, Smith wins everywhere else. 

They blitzed today.

Long, looping, delayed blitzes against a quick throwing short offense....made no sense. Then they came out the 2nd half and continued the same garbage.

defense looked solid int he 2nd half and even had some turn overs

getting field goals though you wont get far

No one is "making excuses" for Smith. No one claimed he had a great or even good day.  All I am saying is that without the aid of game film I don't really see anywhere that Smith was missing  passes to open guys.  I saw him dropping back, looking to go deep, and then having to check down.  Much like last week.  The difference is the run game was so dominant in Week 1 that the passing game being weaksauce wasn't as big of an impact on the game overall. 

The few times he threw downfield?  Two drops of balls that were in hands and a reception to Richardson.

8 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Kirk had to deal with that for 3 years straight.  Each year he put up over 4k in yardage.  Stop making excuses for 11.  You'll just make yourself sick.

Yardage doesn't impress me; I don't play Fantasy Football. 

Kirk's gone. Get over it, and worry about fixing the team's weaknesses. That has nothing to do with this thread. 

Its coaching, let's be real. Peterson out of shotgun towards the sideline....why? Everyone that watches football knows that play will never work unless Peterson is going downhill.

Why the **** is Thompson running between the tackles and Peterson running outside? It is the opposite of their strengths. 

The coaching ****ing blows and I am sick of defending Gruden when it is clearly a running theme with him leading the team

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness to Smith he had two HUGE drops today that would have put us in scoring position. Now great QB's can overcome that. But I dont think anyone is calling Smith GREAT. Only good. 

Seriously?  Have you forgotten all the passes that bounced off Crowder's hands into defenders last year?  Or how about Doctson?  Good ole 50/50!

Archived