Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I hope Cousins ****ing sucks and goes 0-16.  After being so damn fake and tricking me into believing in him and he wanted to be here, I say good riddance and hope he flames out.  

I'm all in Alex Smith at this point.  

Said perfectly! Me too brother, HTTR!

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

On the play posted in the thread, to me it looked like once he saw everyone covered his plan was to run up the middle for the first down, but had to abandon that plan once the defender shed his block.  

As I'm looking at this again... I can't understand why 75 turns to the outside and leaves 99?  There was no pressure coming from there, why does he leave his defender?  It's 3 yards, It appears Smith is going through the progression you can see his head move from left to right, and as he sweeps his head for the backside read, sees an opening to run up the middle and reflexively tries to hit it.  It's 3 yards... he picks up that yardage often on these types of plays.  But for whatever reason, 75 leaves 99 to help on the outside, when no help was needed - and the hole that was there a moment ago fills up.  Looks bad on Smith because it appears the pocket was holding, but smith saw an easy opportunity to pick up the 1st and it just didn't work out.  

15 minutes ago, Temper11 said:

As I'm looking at this again... I can't understand why 75 turns to the outside and leaves 99?  There was no pressure coming from there, why does he leave his defender?  It's 3 yards, It appears Smith is going through the progression you can see his head move from left to right, and as he sweeps his head for the backside read, sees an opening to run up the middle and reflexively tries to hit it.  It's 3 yards... he picks up that yardage often on these types of plays.  But for whatever reason, 75 leaves 99 to help on the outside, when no help was needed - and the hole that was there a moment ago fills up.  Looks bad on Smith because it appears the pocket was holding, but smith saw an easy opportunity to pick up the 1st and it just didn't work out.  

That was a really bad miscommunication between Roullier and Scherff. 

I have no idea why Roullier let off his block to help Lauvao, who was fine. How Scherff didn't see that this happened and stick with the DL tackler, is mind boggling. Instead of Scherff having Roullier's back, he turns right to help Moses, who was also fine. Just ugly stuff from those two. That's got to get cleaned up in the film room.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:28 PM, bobafett14 said:

LgPiFg2.gif

In an effort to answer my own question about 75 in my previous post.... i think what happened here is he and 73 are engaged with 99 at the same time, and both leave 99 at the same time to help outside just as Smith tries to run for the 1st down.  99 was like "Merry Christmas to me!"  I'm sure each thought the other had 99 and assumed they could peel off and help elsewhere.

6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Those are confusing 1a and 1b hopes...

Our ultimate goal, no matter how unrealistic, is to get to the Super Bowl. If you had to choose which of those things is more important to you, I assume Redskins' success, right?

If the Skins meet the Vikings in the playoffs it will be HTTR but barring that it will be Skol!!  

But it back to the point, let’s back Alex!

7 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I have no idea why Roullier let off his block to help Lauvao, who was fine. How Scherff didn't see that this happened and stick with the DL tackler, is mind boggling. Instead of Scherff having Roullier's back, he turns right to help Moses, who was also fine. Just ugly stuff from those two. That's got to get cleaned up in the film room.

said better...

47 minutes ago, Temper11 said:

In an effort to answer my own question about 75 in my previous post.... i think what happened here is he and 73 are engaged with 99 at the same time, and both leave 99 at the same time to help outside just as Smith tries to run for the 1st down.  99 was like "Merry Christmas to me!"  I'm sure each thought the other had 99 and assumed they could peel off and help elsewhere.

Looks to me like when Smith stopped his drop the ball was supposed to come out.  I think he had the time the play needed he just didn't let go.  If you look up top you see the WR clear it out and I'd bet someone was supposed to come underneath that clear but no one did.  Sure the C should have stayed with the guy, but I think the play busted when their was no Pass receiver who ran to the open clear.  So Smith and the Oline take the heat not the real culprit. 

1 hour ago, Temper11 said:

I know, right ?

Spearfeather

In the second video he probably should have just taken a couple steps back as again everyone is covered. He wants to roll out to the right but just as he starts to do that, Scherff mysteriously leaves the DL he's blocking to go help Moses with his man even though he doesn't need it, but further blocks Smith's path to the outside and as Smith attempts to then go back left, he's met by the guy that Scherff never should have left in the first place.

9 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Looks to me like when Smith stopped his drop the ball was supposed to come out.  I think he had the time the play needed he just didn't let go.  If you look up top you see the WR clear it out and I'd bet someone was supposed to come underneath that clear but no one did.  Sure the C should have stayed with the guy, but I think the play busted when their was no Pass receiver who ran to the open clear.  So Smith and the Oline take the heat not the real culprit. 

I bet either the TE (was that 87 Sprinkle?) or the slot WR (Richardson) ran the wrong route. There's just no good reason for the both of them to be clogging that area together. 

37 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I bet either the TE (was that 87 Sprinkle?) or the slot WR (Richardson) ran the wrong route. There's just no good reason for the both of them to be clogging that area together. 

I saw that too.  someone ran the wrong route for sure

5 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I want Cousins to blaze like the second coming and lead Minnesota to glory!  I hope he is Super Bowl MVP and all the good things that follow because I think Kirk and the ownership and leadership deserve it for their boldness and courage in partnering together to bring home a championship.

But our chief concern here is Alex Smith and I fervently hope Alex and company will succeed this year and he will help Gruden elevate this team.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Psssssttttt: this is why the pre-season is actually important.  To work this stuff out so it doesn't happen in Arizona, and we're not saying, "We are going to work that out..."  

This is an example of why they actually need reps in games.  And more than just 20-30 reps.  To get the kinks worked out.  I'm sure THIS issue won't happen again.  But that doesn't mean this is the only issue.

This post has nothing to do with Alex.  But it stuck out as a perfect example of what I've been preaching in other threads.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Psssssttttt: this is why the pre-season is actually important.  To work this stuff out so it doesn't happen in Arizona, and we're not saying, "We are going to work that out..."  

This is an example of why they actually need reps in games.  And more than just 20-30 reps.  To get the kinks worked out.  I'm sure THIS issue won't happen again.  But that doesn't mean this is the only issue.

This post has nothing to do with Alex.  But it stuck out as a perfect example of what I've been preaching in other threads.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

I had been on the few reps, don't give a damn train, but it seemed to go to the wrong neighborhood.

Hold me, I'm frightened. I've got to get outta here! I've gotta get outta here!!!!

200w.webp

47 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Interesting video about QB pocket presence. Alex Smith makes their bad list, and they seem to be down on his pocket presence overall as a Chief. 

This will be one of the issues with Alex for sure ? His pocket awareness and eye discipline (This ain’t changing in my view,

pocket awareness is an intangible you either have or don’t). He appeared to see man coverage and immediately looked to take advantage of this look with his legs and run for the 3rd down and 9 conversion late in a game. Titans were step ahead and put a d line spy to counter. 

Alex seems to fall in line with other average to above average QBs in the league with pre play reads, but his ability to run will help at times when wrong or bad play call. 

Im on side it will prove out over a season to be more of a positive— his running and at times poor pocket awareness. This in relation to other QBs on his level that also struggle when play call, or pre snap read is bad. 

14 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Well, that does it then. No need to even bother seeing a regular season snap; just cut him loose. 

They didn't say anything bad about Colt McCoy. Start Colt McCoy Thread coming! who's with me!?! ?

For some reason this made me think of my wife sometimes saying, “fine, I’m a terrible person!” and storming off when we’re having (what I thought was) a discussion/disagreement.  ?

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

This will be one of the issues with Alex for sure ? His pocket awareness and eye discipline (This ain’t changing in my view,

pocket awareness is an intangible you either have or don’t). He appeared to see man coverage and immediately looked to take advantage of this look with his legs and run for the 3rd down and 9 conversion late in a game. Titans were step ahead and put a d line spy to counter. 

Cooley really hit the point hard in his film review of Alex -- he says he darts out of the pocket too fast and doesn't stay with his reads long enough and walks into too many sacks.  Like me, Cooley is intrigued with the RPO and RO aspect of Alex's game.  It's really my debate in a nutshell about Alex. 

Some run with this as me being negative about the dude -- but that's nuts -- if I didn't think he was a good QB and would be a bust or what have you -- I'd just say it.  I think he will be good.  My argument about Alex is what kind of QB he is.  I am intrigued about him as part of a funky formation, heavy pre-snap movement, RPO, RO -- confuse the heck out of defenses QB.   Not all the time but enough to keep defenses off balance.   I am reading Doug Peterson's book, he refers to Alex that way.  And Peterson is obsessed with keeping defenses off balance in that way.  None of this is a criticism of Alex or offenses driven this way.   It's a complement. 

I think some of us are over conditioned by RG3 as seeing QBs and offenses that are run differently and that includes an option for the QB to run as gimmicky and its a slam at the QB if they excel at it.  For starters, the RPO typically has less QB runs than the RO.  And yeah guys like Carson Wentz, etc have excelled in this type of offense.  It's a good thing not a bad thing. ?

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley really hit the point hard in his film review of Alex -- he says he darts out of the pocket too fast and doesn't stay with his reads long enough and walks into too many sacks.  Like me, Cooley is intrigued with the RPO and RO aspect of Alex's game.  It's really my debate in a nutshell about Alex. 

Some run with this as me being negative about the dude -- but that's nuts -- if I didn't think he was a good QB and would be a bust or what have you -- I'd just say it.  I think he will be good.  My argument about Alex is what kind of QB he is.  I am intrigued about him as part of a funky formation, heavy pre-snap movement, RPO, RO -- confuse the heck out of defenses QB.   Not all the time but enough to keep defenses off balance.   I am reading Doug Peterson's book, he refers to Alex that way.  And Peterson is obsessed with keeping defenses off balance in that way.  None of this is a criticism of Alex or offenses driven this way.   It's a complement. 

I think some of us are over conditioned by RG3 as seeing QBs and offenses that are run differently and that includes an option for the QB to run as gimmicky and its a slam at the QB if they excel at it.  For starters, the RPO typically has less QB runs than the RO.  And yeah guys like Carson Wentz, etc have excelled in this type of offense.  It's a good thing not a bad thing. ?

Obviously we have not seen any of this in Preseason. Do you think we'll being doing a lot of the RPO, or will it be minimal? I'm assuming there will be at least a small amount of it, but I wonder just how much of it we will see?

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Where did you hear Cooley's thoughts on this?  Since he left 980, I haven't heard him or seen him.

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

and playing him that way may be one key to bettering what i think is a season primed to see them struggle to make .500

That's what I think.   Some ask me hey is that all you like about the dude is the RPO-RO stuff.  To me that's like saying hey all you like about Zorro is the sword fighting skills?   Yeah to me that's Alex's thing.  It's not a sidebar.  It's the main feature as to what he brings IMO.   

I think to some because he's seen as an accurate QB and efficient that he's a hang in the pocket type of QB and just picks you apart that way (because those variables often flow together) -- and while IMO he's not bad at that, he's nothing special in that department and pocket presence is one of those things that multiple observers have attacked him on.   The special is the other stuff IMO.  Can Jay enhance his pocket presence and make him more of a pick you apart QB from the pocket?  Maybe so.   Will see.

To me Alex is a conservative QB who won't lose the game for you by causing turnovers. That's a complement.  And he adds some nice zest to the running game by being a threat in his own right and can help pick apart a defense via the RPO mostly.   I'd give the nod to Kirk slightly over Alex as players but the one thing I won't miss about Kirk is all the fumbles. I love the fact that Alex doesn't just avoid picks but also rarely fumbles. 

What I am most intrigued about is seeing Jay, O'Connell and Alex himself scheme up an offense that keeps defenses off balance.    I'll be in Arizona looking forward to seeing that offense uncovered.  Enough beat guys have hinted that this offense is coming.  They've seen it in practice.  Doesn't sound like it will be as heavy handed as the shift in 2012 but it sounds like it will be heavy handed enough to see that the offense is going to look a bit different from recent years. 

4 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Where did you hear Cooley's thoughts on this?  Since he left 980, I haven't heard him or seen him.

He did it about a week after the trade way back.    I talked about it back then.  And I repeated it another time when there was a Kirk versus Alex discussion and I said during that discussion what Cooley said about both because he did compare them. 

I figured its worth repeating because the pocket awareness, staying with reads, taking sacks were among his points.  Cooley as he typically was -- gave a balanced take - he talked up Alex's pros and cons.  Did the same about Kirk.  And in short said Alex could use some Kirk in him and Kirk could use some Alex in him. 

23 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Obviously we have not seen any of this in Preseason. Do you think we'll being doing a lot of the RPO, or will it be minimal? I'm assuming there will be at least a small amount of it, but I wonder just how much of it we will see?

This is me guessing -- trying to piece things together.  But two different beat guys, if I recall Finlay was one, forgot who the other was said they are supposed to be quiet but they can see they are practicing a bunch of the KC concepts.   The way they said they aren't supposed to talk about it -- gave me the vibe that what they saw came off more than just an occasional wrinkle. 

Chris Thompson hinted at the same.  Alex also said in an interview he's pushed Jay to include more of it because he fits his skill set -- or something like that. 

So looks like no question its coming.   How much?  Don't know.  But looks like more than just a sprinkle of it at the very least.  Knowing Jay's style a little -- I'd presume much more RPO than RO.

Archived