Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

6 minutes ago, zoony said:

Think about the chiefs... they have a young QB in waiting, just got a 3rd round pick and a stud 22 YO CB.  They are entering FA and the draft with a team already loaded

Good, well run teams set themselves up that way.  You can say what you want about Andy Reid, "choker", never quite closes the deal but his teams are always competitive.  I'm sure several teams wanted Smith but weren't willing to give up more than a pick or two -- I think getting Fuller made the deal with Skins much more attractive.

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Alex Smith would not have been a FA before Kansas City released him. But it was common knowledge that with his current cap number and situation the team would have released him if they could not trade him. 

They were definitely going to trade him. 5 teams were interested in making a deal.

Hard to imagine the FO making a worse deal, but then again, as a 54yo Skins fan, anything is possible. 

This is horrific and borders on the stupidity that got us RG3.  We could have given Cousins roughly the same money, kept our pick and Fuller, and had a younger QB that knows the team and system. 

What a colossal ****-up!!!

Reminds me of the Brunell trade. 

Trading for him makes sense, but not for this much and certainly don't like what we seeing in terms of guarantees on the contract.

This is something you throw maybe a 5th round pick for and you structure the contract so that you can walk away after 2 years if you want to (which at least seems unlikely with $70 million in guarantees).  They don't know how build a truly contending team.

More cap money now to re-sign Brown?? I doubt if Zach would want to resign here now. We just got weaker and gave away one of the  strongest members of his D. Hell, they didn't even bother to notify Kendall until after twitter had blown up. Why would Zach want to be part of this? I'm not even sure that I do

7 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Hard to imagine the FO making a worse deal, but then again, as a 54yo Skins fan, anything is possible. 

This is horrific and borders on the stupidity that got us RG3.  We could have given Cousins roughly the same money, kept our pick and Fuller, and had a younger QB that knows the team and system. 

What a colossal ****-up!!!

If the Skins coulda/woulda signed Cousins 2+ years ago the money would be about the same,...that was really the colossal F-up.  Consider that, this deal is about the best they could have done outside of -- acknowledging their mistake, letting Kirk walk (situation had become too toxic), firing  Bruce and Jay then hiring a real, proven GM and starting over.

Wow.. what a colossal **** up.

I like Smith, but NOT at 23+ million per year, PLUS giving up Fuller and a 3rd round pick.

Fleeced once again. I hate this FO.

I guess Kirk is on his way out.

The only thing to soften this blow is if the team is somehow able to tag and trade kirk, but there's zero leverage for that.

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

70M guaranteed, 23.5 a year, the loss of a cheap stud CB, and potentially another stud on a cheap 4 year deal.  Yet this team has all the money in the world to build this "elite defense" now. :ols:

I'll be surprised if Kirk gets more than 27 million a year, so lets use that figure.  So we downgraded at defense.  At now we got an extra $3.5 million to burn to go get ourselves an elite defense.  Ridiculous.  What does 3.5 million buy you a Greg Toler and Kendall Reyes?   Good times.

As Cooley just said, I'd rather give up a 2nd and 3rd then throwing in Fuller in the deal.  Sheehan deems this as giving up a first rounder and a 2nd since Fuller is a first round talent.  I agree.

Now that I've had time to sleep and marinate on this a little...

Maybe I'm just telling myself "it'll be ok...." but as a Skins fan it hardly ever is.

Alex Smith isn't a bad QB at all and if we weren't going to re-sign Kirk then he provides us with a chance to still be mediocre.  I don't trust Booz Allen to pick a franchise QB in the first round and have him start Week 1, 2018.  I would have been more livid if we'd selected Baker Mayfield.

Trading a 3rd round pick kinda sucks but it's not awful.  It's not terrible.  As mentioned before, we'll get a pick for wherever Kirk goes.

Trading Kendall Fuller ****ing sucks.  Had a great year, young, and on a rookie contract.  

I don't think we got better, I think we got worse.  We traded young, good and cheap on defense for older and perhaps slightly better on offense.  While we did need a QB, we also couldn't afford to lose anyone of substance on the defense and we did.  We'll probably end up losing Breeland, too.  Corner is going to be weak for us on a defense that's already weak.

I don't hate this trade as much as I did yesterday but it doesn't really move the needle at all.  It's hard to see how we got better.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again...names and faces change, the results are always the same.  Anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7.  

I've been through a lot with this team. And the team really hasn't been relevant for quite some time. It pokes its head out every 5 years or so to be mildly competitive, but you really have to go back to the early 1990s when it was relevant. But still I hung around. Even with every bad move. And the thing of it is, its not like the bad moves were calculated risks that simply didn't work out. They pretty much all looked like terrible moves from day 1. Like the McNabb trade. I hated it at the time, because the team gave up two good draft picks to take on an aging vet. I did think McNabb would make the team mediocre for 2 years or so. But that didn't help anything. Being mediocre is no accomplishment. And then McNabb would retire and the team would have nothing to show for it. Instead, the trade was worse than I imagined. McNabb was horrible from Day 1 and the Redskins sent two valuable draft picks (to a divisional rival no less) for nothing. And the team was already bad then, so losing two picks for nothing was deadly. I think this is it. I just can't take another epic bone-headed move. I simply need to move on. It's best for everyone involved. Good luck to those that stay

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

70M guaranteed, 23.5 a year, the loss of a cheap stud CB, and potentially another stud on a cheap 4 year deal.  Yet this team has all the money in the world to build this "elite defense" now. :ols:

I'd bet anything if you back 8 years and find the McNabb trade thread, these same homers were loving that one too. It's what they do.  

Theyre the fans that the FO is counting on to help sell all of their bull****. The FO knows anything they do will be eaten up by these fans and they’ll buy in, get the merchandise and be screaming at training camp just like always 

theyre part of the problem 

If we don’t resign Breeland I don’t see how any of you can be comfortable with Dunbar, Moreau, Norman and Holsey. Losing Fuller is not going to be easy to replace, we will be suspect at corner if we don’t resign breeland or maybe get Fitzpatrick if he falls to us. Moreau and Holsey played special teams last year. 

After sleeping on it I'm still upset that we gave up on Fuller, but reporters are saying that Fabian Moreau has a very high upside and can step right in if he stays healthy. Smith is a wash at QB and will probably fit Gruden's offense better than Kirk did.

At worse they'll get the same 7-8 wins, but I think there is a decent chance they can rise to 10-11 wins with the right off-season moves and if they can somehow stay relatively healthy.

I guess we shall see.

1 minute ago, maxspruill21 said:

If we don’t resign Breeland I don’t see how any of you can be comfortable with Dunbar, Moreau, Norman and Holsey. Losing Fuller is not going to be easy to replace, we will be suspect at corner if we don’t resign breeland or maybe get Fitzpatrick if he falls to us. Moreau and Holsey played special teams last year. 

Archived