Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

To me 1.) that's not the point, and 2.) good, that means he'll be cheaper.  If anything is going to motivate him its playing for his former teams arch-rival and seeing Dallas twice a year.  1 year deal won't kill us, if we're right, awesome, if not, he can leave, no harm no foul.

We need talent, the NFC is loaded right now, its worth the risk, imo.

I agree with this. If we can sign him to a deal where we can cut him at anytime, and it's a small cap hit, why not ?

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Problem is Dez isnt really a route a runner. And he has slowed down considerably over the past two seasons. He also drops A LOT of balls. He is a legit red zone threat though. And I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on him. In the end I dont think it happens because other teams will get more use out of him. 

I'm not denying this, but the talent is still there.  I don't know what he's doing with it, so that's why I want us to easily be able to get out of it, but take a chance in case he does "wake up".  I'm also not sold on Doctson or Richardson, a just in case panning out may save us from the blasphemy that was our receiving core last year.  He doesn't even have to make the pro bowl, he just needs to be better then what we already have (which ain't much).

In a world where Donte Moncrief is getting 10m dollars this season I cannot imagine Dez will take less than that.  I strongly suspect that a team with lots of cash, that needs to win right now to save jobs and has a clueless buffoon for a GM will sign him and that perfectly describes the NY Jets.

On 14/04/2018 at 4:46 AM, gooseneck said:

I would prefer to have Hankins

I know Bryant’s skills have demonished but I still think he would make a better reciever than Hankins ;) 

i am hoping the other teams in the east are giving Hankins a wide birth because their going “errr we play and plan against you every year” 

Value for money is the key here.  I get the impression Dez is good in the end zone.  I can’t remember which ex receiver it was (maybe Steve Smith) who said Dez only runs two types of routes well while the rest is of his route running is rather poor considering the hype/ talent.    I might be imagining the critique.

21 minutes ago, Brixtion_skin said:

Value for money is the key here.  I get the impression Dez is good in the end zone.  I can’t remember which ex receiver it was (maybe Steve Smith) who said Dez only runs two types of routes well while the rest is of his route running is rather poor considering the hype/ talent.    I might be imagining the critique.

I would be all for signing Dez.  He is one of the best in the league at the jump ball and blocking.  I think if you move him all over the field you can be more productive with him.  Put him in the slot and let him be a mismatch, put him outside on the goal line....he's a stud at the fade and slant.  He's basically a more athletic version of Pierre Garcon.

I would honestly use him the same way we use Reed...espically WHEN Reed gets hurt.  No real use for Dez currently considering our group of WR's but I would do it for a 1 year / 7 - 8 million.

Richardson = DJax

Dez = Garcon

With that in mind we would be in the same position as we were just a few years ago.

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think this does anything to Doctson, actually. Gives the receivers more versatility. Remember, although depth charts exist, situational subs exist, too. There’s room for more good receivers on the team. 

Dez would actually help Doctson.

Not so sure, seems the reason he fell out of favor with the Cowboys is that Dak didn't get him enough balls. Considering his salary the move on their part was correct. But it seem as though he would have stayed for less money, so I gotta think him and Dak's chemistry or lack there of had the biggest impact. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926506/article/dez-bryant-garrett-guys-aided-in-release-by-cowboys

Click Saver included.... Excerpts from the link,,,, 

"I'll say this right here: I believe that 'Garrett guys' [are to blame]. I would say that," he said in response to a question from Slater on the idea that some teammates had a role in the decision to release him.

Bryant wouldn't say who the "Garrett guys" are, but he was irked at not being selected as a team captain last season. Dak Prescott, Jason Witten, Sean Lee, Dan Bailey, Tyrone Crawford and Orlando Scandrick (now with Redskins) each served as captains in 2017.

Bryant said he wanted to stay in Dallas, but his expensive contract and declining play jeopardized his status within the team all offseason. The 29-year-old was due $12.5 million base salary in 2018 and was set to cost $16.5 million against the salary cap. Even though he stated publicly all offseason that he held no intentions of taking a pay cut, Bryant said he changed his stance.

When asked if he was willing to take a pay reduction, Bryant responded, "Yeah, if it was offered.

I have a hard believing the Redskins would sign Bryant for a variety of reason. However, when Dez says he wants to stay in the NFC East, the only team that really makes much sense is the Redskins. The Giants and Eagles both have good receiving cores and minimal cap space. Though I suppose the Giants could become players if they either: (1) trade ODB; or (2) release Brandon Marshall (which seems quite possible once he's healthy enough to be released)

9 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

In a world where Donte Moncrief is getting 10m dollars this season I cannot imagine Dez will take less than that.  I strongly suspect that a team with lots of cash, that needs to win right now to save jobs and has a clueless buffoon for a GM will sign him and that perfectly describes the NY Jets.

Or us. Except the lots of cash part.

1 hour ago, Brixtion_skin said:

Buyer beware. He’s lazy. Doesn’t run crisp routes, drops passes, critical fumbles (watch the Seattle game). Tardy to team meetings.

Hes a two trick pony. Lazy slant routes and jump balls.

Listen go guys like Janoris Jenkins talk about how easy he is to cover.

Only positive for Dez is his passion for the game. But with diminishing skills, it only gets you so far.

I can't imagine why we would sign him instead of just increasing our offer to Hankins. That would be a much better use of the cap space. Come to think of it, using that money to resign our own players, that aren't 29 year old locker room cancers, would be a good move. 

It baffles me that we as a fan base would opt to not sign a guy that could be a help... just because.

i don’t buy that he’s not a top flight receiver anymore. Dak was extremely lackluster last year. Just looked horrendous. Smith is a better quarterback.

Dez can play. I guarantee it.

The key with signing Dez would entirely rest on: fit with Gruden and Smith’s opinions (yes the QB matters), cost, his demeanor.

I ultimately don’t believe this comes down to Hankins OR Dez. I think the team has already allowed the Hankins ship to sail unless his price comes down. 

DL is a much larger concern. Agreed. But Dez gives us a VERY legit receiving corps. And I’m not sold on ours at all.

Im not necessarily FOR signing Dez. I just see the value in it if all things are considered. Not signing him won’t break my heart, either, though.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Dez can play. I guarantee it.

When he was targeted, he could take over a drive. 

Not targeted all game, then one drive gets feed the ball 4 or 5 times and the team marches for a score, while on each attempt he outmuscles guys on back shoulders and 50/50s.

It seemed to be feast or famine with his distribution, which he didn't have a say in, decision wise, yet obviously, demonstrably, voiced his opinion about it. 

Once you got his engine going, he would battle with anyone.  

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

... just because.

I think the just because is simply from the fact that he yells at his coaches and teammates, unabashedly. Dress them down right there on the field, in front of the cameras. And perhaps that extends to the lockerroom and practice field, IDK. But that's probably a healthy bet to make. 

And at some point that gets to be old. Because everyone is replaceable. Just like Cortland Sutton can replace Dez, example. 

That's my guess as the "just because." 

@Monk4thaHALL

That makes sense. And it would get old. But signing the guy for a year or two and seeing where he is mentally is a bet I’d be willing to make if we can get him for a fair price tag. Especially because you know against Dallas he’ll go absolutely berserk. 

The key is money and fit. The rest I’ll deal with... personally, anyways.

We’ve signed choir boys and the team has been middling. Let’s add some swagger, put some umph back in our biggest rivalry, and take a chance on a guy who seems hungry...

If the money is right haha

I think more of his production dip had to do with Dak being his QB versus Romo. 

For all of Romo's faults, he tended to throw to spots, and also kept his eyes downfield when the pocket broke down. 

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how a one year "prove it" deal would be a bad thing to either party. 

He wants to stick it to the Cowboys (so do we).  Any production we get out of him, helps us win games, and helps his value.  He has an intricate knowledge of 6 of the games on our schedule.    

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

is a bet I’d be willing to make

My initial reaction to hearing about his release was yes to signing him, as well, dependent on all those things you listed. We're in agreement.  

I just wanted to jump from your post and springboard on the point about his ability to play, which i agree with. 

If I try to summarize his game into a quick sentence or two, I always end up talking about his game play being fueled by passion. You feed him the ball and each target sees an increasing level of passion and effort, at least to me. And I always end up noticing and commenting how his pass targeting distribution is often out of whack, with long spells of drought. 

Clearly he wants to be the man. And clearly he wants the offense to run through him. If the QB and HC/OC want to do that too, then yeah, it'll be a match. 

But I tend to think that there will be too many mouths to feed around here to satisfy everyone including Dez. Just by the design of the offense and how we've distributed the ball under Gruden. I can't see them brining in Dez and then targeting him 20 times a game, which is probably what Dez wants. 

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I have a hard believing the Redskins would sign Bryant for a variety of reason. However, when Dez says he wants to stay in the NFC East, the only team that really makes much sense is the Redskins. The Giants and Eagles both have good receiving cores and minimal cap space. Though I suppose the Giants could become players if they either: (1) trade ODB; or (2) release Brandon Marshall (which seems quite possible once he's healthy enough to be released)

Therein lies the rub, a lot of talk about what Dez wants, nothing on whether the teams in the division want him.  Or have a spot for him, for that matter.

I cant envision the Giants putting Dez and OBJ in the same locker room. Eli would need counseling.   

Archived