Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

6 hours ago, redrobert said:

Betting we won’t bite on Anderson. Would have made more sense to trade Cravens for him rather than the late pick we got right?

lousy contract, if we're interested, this way we can negotiate a better deal.  And we get a draft pick

39 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I was hoping we would get him in the 2nd round last year.....he's a stud but was a 20 year old kid.  No clue how bad his facial injuries are but I would love for Tomsula to get his hands on him.  Could be a huge steal.

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Bergstrom re-signed, 1 year deal hopefully vet min. 

HTTR 

Been calling for this one since the season ended - adds a versatile lineman on the (presumably super) cheap.  I’d be fine with him grabbing the LG spot or serving as our primary G/C backup.  Obviously can help with draft flexibility as well.  

Right on. 

38 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I was hoping we would get him in the 2nd round last year.....he's a stud but was a 20 year old kid.  No clue how bad his facial injuries are but I would love for Tomsula to get his hands on him.  Could be a huge steal.

I'm not sure the Skins medical staff is the place for something like that to happen

31 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm not sure the Skins medical staff is the place for something like that to happen

If anyone can sign a player who isn't medically clear to play then we are certainly that team.  If I were the Skins I would swap 7th round draft picks with the Hawks and take on McDowell's rookie contract.  I really think he's worth the gamble even if he can't play next year.

I was doing research on another player and found this unexpected gem.  Spaight led the league in Run Stop Percentage among all ILBs last year.  I didn't realize he did so well against the run last year.  Though he must have been terrible against the pass, because his total PFF ranking was 58th among all LBs.

6 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

Bergstrom is a backup at best nowhere near starter material at LG, go back and look at the Giants game tape.

So, I’m not exactly gonna disagree with you (I know he gave up a big sack to Harrison and received a poor grade from PFF), but the Skins actually ran the ball that game, it was his first start for the Skins, and the next two weeks starting he gave up 1 pressure.  He was also playing next to Kouandijo, who gave up a lot of pressure, and against a pretty tough dline.  I view him as decent depth (G/C), and a guy that you could play at LG if 1) we don’t find a starter in the draft, 2) Kalis, Catalina aren’t ready to start, or 3) the team isn’t satisfied with Kouandijo either.  

From Hogs Haven

Offensive Line (Team)- The line played admirably in pass coverage against a ferocious L.A. pass rush. Chargers players only combined for 2 sacks and 5 hits on Cousins, which isn’t too bad considering they are top-5 in sacks (37) and sack percentage (7.8%).

Tony Bergstrom- The team’s third center played on 100% of the snaps for the third straight week. He did not allow any pressures after only surrendering one last week (a hit).

So again, he adds a bit of very cheap versatility and experience to a weak spot.  Good signing in my book.  

Some interesting cuts out there that we can take advantage of.

Dez:  We need wide receiver help.  He is not who he once was, but could easily fit in our WR core

CJ Anderson: I'm done with Fat Rob.  I say we bring in CJ and draft a RB late.  Along with CT, can be a nice stable.  CTCJ could become a thing.

Daryl Wroley: I mean, who hasn't got blacked out drunk and passed out in a car with a gun.  Getting tazed builds character, so added bonus.  Look, while high risk, we can sign him to a minimum, no guarantee contract.  If it looks like he is going to be locked away, cut with no cap hit.  But if not, he can fill some of the void left by Fuller.

Not sure how interesting this is to anyone but I was curious how the top teams spread out their cap space among their starting O lineman. Philly's number is high but who knows if Peters is back, they played several games and the entire playoffs with a backup so their number could change drastically.

We have a lot invested in 3 positions, it would be nice if we could actually run the ball some day.  I know many think a top RB is the answer and maybe it is, I'm guessing we will find out next year.

Heres what I found.

Philly
10.6 LT
3.2  LG
7.2  C
11.1 RG
5.2  RT

Total Cap for O lineman = 37.3M

Minnesota

Total Cap for O lineman = 20.6M

Patriots

Total Cap for O lineman = 12.3M

Jacksonville

Total Cap for O lineman = 23.1M

New Orleans

Total Cap for O lineman = 36.1M

Steelers

Total Cap for O lineman = 31M

Redskins

Total Cap for O lineman = 27M

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Not sure how interesting this is to anyone but I was curious how the top teams spread out their cap space among their starting O lineman. Philly's number is high but who knows if Peters is back, they played several games and the entire playoffs with a backup so their number could change drastically.

We have a lot invested in 3 positions, it would be nice if we could actually run the ball some day.  I know many think a top RB is the answer and maybe it is, I'm guessing we will find out next year.

I find it interesting how everyone else but min and us has a lot invested in center.

42 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I find it interesting how everyone else but min and us has a lot invested in center.

The problem with comparing current cap $ to current cap $ is that is a bit of an oranges to apples as the cap is an accounting fiction.  Guys on their rookie deals are going to be cheap, FAs, even those with huge contracts, are often relatively cheap cap-wise in the first year or two of their deals and usually you only need 1 or 2 elites on your oline if you can identify a few other just able to consistently do their job no more. Our biggest problem running the ball is really about the way we run and not having WR/TEs who set the edges.  Finally, following the leader is why we keep missing the wave.

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This would be a crazy stupid move by Hankins IMHO.

Maybe a bad move for him but perfect for us.  If they don't land an impact DT in the draft, the need for Hankins naturally will rise or conversely if they draft someone he becomes less critical.

My gut at the moment is they stay at 13 and either Ward, Fitzpatrick, James fall to that spot and they take one of them or they trade down and take Guice.  I think its possible that they go Vea-Payne or take someone at DT in the 2nd but I don't see it as slam dunk.  For example, imagine if they get lucky and draft Fitzpatrick and sign Hankins?  Then IMO the difference is upgraded in a big way.

The Giants fell off a cliff last year.  But the year before that just adding 3 marquee players turned around one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best -- and the core of it was ironically adding a shutdown corner and nose tackle.

20 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Kelley has done nothing consistent other than a 3 game spell in the middle of the 2016 season. Perine averages 3.4 ypc.

Anderson has just had a 1000 yard season and can actually block and catch the ball consistently. Denver didn't want to pay him 4.5mil.

Worth a go on a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal. Doesn't stop us drafting a speedster RB who can get 12-15 touches per game. Add in CT25, better group for a Gruden to work with.

Makes sense to me....thx. 

Archived