Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

I wouldn't hate it if we signed him.

Depending on the dollars, of course.  It would have to be a very team friendly deal.

If it were me, I'd take a long, long look at those injuries he's had and talk to the doctors to see what are the chances of him having those injuries again.  

He caught 69 balls for 838 yards and 6 touchdowns last year.  There's value there.  I wouldn't pay him like a gamebreaking receiver because he's not anymore.  

But could he be paid like a solid #2 or #3?  Sure.  It also takes the need of a WR off our draft board.

I'd want him to mentor Doctson and Richardson.  I'd want him to be working with them daily in camp to get better, show them veteran tricks of the trade.  Obviously, he'd be motivated to show people he's still got it.  He'd be motivated to torch Dallas twice a year, that can't hurt.

He's only 30, IIRC.  I think despite his injuries, there's some good football left in him.  I think his days of being a troublemaker, brash or outspoken are mostly behind him.  

It's a low risk, high reward type move.  Looking at Dez gets unfairly lumped with OMG THE SKINS SIGNED HAYNESWORTH LOLLL type move because he's a name.  But the Skins operated on high risk, high reward type signings for so long, the knee jerk (yes, looking at most of ES) reaction is to say no.

Dez can't get money to be paid like a top 20 receiver because he's not.  He might not even be a top 30 receiver right now.  It's a low risk, high reward situation and I'd be cool with it.  Depending on the dollars.

Here's my take on Dez.

Sign him or don't Sign him?  - Meh

We don't have a legit #1 WR anywhere.  Would Dez be that?  (I'm thinking no)
Is he an upgrade over Doctson or Richardson?  (push)

So for the right price, sign him or don't sign him.

However, I'm an Engineer, I think of thinks as trade offs.  Signing Dez gives us a bit more bite in our Receiving corp, even if he gets dropsies, he can't be any worse than pryor, right?

However, what if what we really are looking at is Signing Dez for 8-9 mil, or, drafting a WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th that will be with the team for ten years, and be a stud to build around that we have not had since Santana Moss. 

If its a tradeoff between developing a rookie we draft, or signing Dez, I'd rather draft otherwise, I'm indifferent to the move, it doesn't upset me, doesn't elate me.

I think Dez can still be a very good WR in the right setting.  If he has a QB who likes back shoulder throws, fades, and is willing to throw the ball high and let him win jump balls.  Romo was a perfect fit for him, Dak has not been.  I think Green Bay or New England would be the best fits for him.  

As as a side note, I think concerns about his temperament are a bit exaggerated.  I have seen tv commentators get on him for sideline meltdowns, but on some of those occasions he was really not melting down.  (i.e. Looks like he is screaming at Romo after an incompletion, but when you hear the audio on the sideline he is actually being emphatically positive, yelling things like "Man, we are the best in the league at that!  We can get them on that play.  It's a touchdown next time we run it!").  

There red are a lot of things he isn't great at, especially rout running.  But with the right QB, I still think he can be a very good WR, and one of the best in the league in the red zone.

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Has anyone watched dez bryant play football the last 2 seasons?  No thank you

I'm not really keen on getting Bryant either, but in fairness to him, I don't think he ever really developed the chemistry with Dak Prescott that he had with Romo.

Not to mention the fact that Prescott is not good a QB as Romo, though he is continually over-hyped by the Cowboy-loving sports media.

Still, I could do without Bryant, though I also won't think it is the end of the world if the Redskins did sign him. :dallas_sucks:

49 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Here's my take on Dez.

Sign him or don't Sign him?  - Meh

We don't have a legit #1 WR anywhere.  Would Dez be that?  (I'm thinking no)
Is he an upgrade over Doctson or Richardson?  (push)

So for the right price, sign him or don't sign him.

However, I'm an Engineer, I think of thinks as trade offs.  Signing Dez gives us a bit more bite in our Receiving corp, even if he gets dropsies, he can't be any worse than pryor, right?

However, what if what we really are looking at is Signing Dez for 8-9 mil, or, drafting a WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th that will be with the team for ten years, and be a stud to build around that we have not had since Santana Moss. 

If its a tradeoff between developing a rookie we draft, or signing Dez, I'd rather draft otherwise, I'm indifferent to the move, it doesn't upset me, doesn't elate me.

Name one WR we have drafted in the Snyder era that has been with the team 10 years.  I'll give you a hint, first letter in the answer is the letter "Z" and the last letter in the answer is "O" and there are two letters in-between.  Looking back, Tana was probably the longest tenure, but he was acquired via trade with the Jets.

Point being, you sign players that make your team better.  Dez makes our WR corps better, imo.  He is an upgrade over Doctson and Richardson, imo.  I'm in agreement with you though, if we sign him, cool I'll root for him.  If we don't sign him, **** him.

7 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Name one WR we have drafted in the Snyder era that has been with the team 10 years.  I'll give you a hint, first letter in the answer is the letter "Z" and the last letter in the answer is "O" and there are two letters in-between.

Zoro? Yeah, that dude was mighty fine indeed, even if it is weird his parents named him with one 'r' instead of two.

Either do it or don't with regards to dez, I'm indifferent. As long as they don't over pay, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a potential 1k yards and 6-8 tds.

I'm of the mind that he'd make the team better, not worse. However it's all dependant on price. 

There may be some logic to striking while the iron is hot. I'm sure there's a chance he'd take a worse deal to burn his old team since he's obviously very emotional about it right now. He may take a more team friendly deal not really thinking about the longer term implications.

ETA, he may be valuable in ways other than on field production. He could teach our wrs some toughness and competitiveness, which wouldn't be a bad thing. He's obviously got lots of experience he could share as well.

JP Finlay Retweeted

Dez Bryant “Being in the division is a huge possibility it’s something that I want. It’s personal. I’m tired of being the scapegoat and I’m going to keep proving that on and off the field” full interview with @SlaterNFL coming up on @nflnetwork #Mus****ch

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo
FollowingFollowing @MikeGarafolo
More

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Dan Hellie

I can see the future: “Bryant turned down more money elsewhere to sign with the Skins/Giants/Eagles.”

It’s early but Dez Bryant’s goal to play in NFC East is not being embraced at this moment by Redskins, Giants and Cowboys

In an interview with @SlaterNFL, Dez Bryant said a few interesting things: 1) He would have taken a pay cut if offered. 2) He felt like the situation was "unfair" to him and he wants to prove something to the #Cowboys. 3) He wants to sign with a team in the NFC East.

2 hours ago, MariusVT said:

Just say no to Dez... He's not the WR he used to be.

To me 1.) that's not the point, and 2.) good, that means he'll be cheaper.  If anything is going to motivate him its playing for his former teams arch-rival and seeing Dallas twice a year.  1 year deal won't kill us, if we're right, awesome, if not, he can leave, no harm no foul.

We need talent, the NFC is loaded right now, its worth the risk, imo.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo

FollowingFollowing @MikeGarafolo
More

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Dan Hellie

I can see the future: “Bryant turned down more money elsewhere to sign with the Skins/Giants/Eagles.”

He's gonna try and sign with all three of us?....Damn, this IS personal for him lol....

57 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To me 1.) that's not the point, and 2.) good, that means he'll be cheaper.  If anything is going to motivate him its playing for his former teams arch-rival and seeing Dallas twice a year.  1 year deal won't kill us, if we're right, awesome, if not, he can leave, no harm no foul.

We need talent, the NFC is loaded right now, its worth the risk, imo.

Problem is Dez isnt really a route a runner. And he has slowed down considerably over the past two seasons. He also drops A LOT of balls. He is a legit red zone threat though. And I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on him. In the end I dont think it happens because other teams will get more use out of him. 

Archived