Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

23 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

As a Redskins fan, I'd still love to be sitting here talking to you guys about how we had won the NFC East in 7 of the last 10 seasons, having won playoff games in 5 of those 7 appearances and how now we need to get over the hump and figure out how to move on.  Didn't say I'd settle for it, but would LOVE to have my expectations raised to that level. 

This is a huge distinction that some conveniently miss. The question is not nor ever was would you be happy with making the playoffs but coming up short. The question was would you prefer it over the perennial losing this team has seen - at least until recent seasons. Not sure why so many go for the exaggeration. 

Thomas Boswell is and always has been baseball first. So he has always preached baseball over football - to the point of showing his ignorance of the sport. So from that perspective I can see his point - I disagree but I see it. 

For most Redskins, it's not Redskins over the Nations or Capitols, as much as it's football over baseball of hockey. That;s what he doesn't get. I used to be a huge baseball fan - back in the Senators days, the ones that moved to Texas. I loved both sports equally. Over time I have gravitated to football more. The season in baseball is too long - the marquee players are not what they once were - at least not for me. And honestly steroids really turned me off. Not that it happened - but how baseball dealt with it - getting players to take "anonymous tests" while it was legal, only to have their names leaked and punished later. 

But ultimately I just like the game of football more - the mechanics of it. The flow of the game. The strategy. So while I would love for the CAPs to win the Stanley Cup, I would enjoy a Redskins playoff run a lot more but would not be completely satisfied with any less than a SB win.

But would I prefer at least getting to the playoffs most years but failing over ending up in last place in the division more years than not? Hell yes. Why wouldn't you? However, that is not going to make me become a Capitols fan more than a Redskins fan. I still like football better than hockey and quite frankly it's not even close. 

Ultimately it's not about liking the teams more or less - it's about which sport you like more. And most Redskins fans like football more. It's really that simple.  

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is a huge distinction that some conveniently miss. The question is not nor ever was would you be happy with making the playoffs but coming up short. The question was would you prefer it over the perennial losing this team has seen - at least until recent seasons. Not sure why so many go for the exaggeration. 

Thomas Boswell is and always has been baseball first. So he has always preached baseball over football - to the point of showing his ignorance of the sport. So from that perspective I can see his point - I disagree but I see it. 

For most Redskins, it's not Redskins over the Nations or Capitols, as much as it's football over baseball of hockey. That;s what he doesn't get. I used to be a huge baseball fan - back in the Senators days, the ones that moved to Texas. I loved both sports equally. Over time I have gravitated to football more. The season in baseball is too long - the marquee players are not what they once were - at least not for me. And honestly steroids really turned me off. Not that it happened - but how baseball dealt with it - getting players to take "anonymous tests" while it was legal, only to have their names leaked and punished later. 

But ultimately I just like the game of football more - the mechanics of it. The flow of the game. The strategy. So while I would love for the CAPs to win the Stanley Cup, I would enjoy a Redskins playoff run a lot more but would not be completely satisfied with any less than a SB win.

But would I prefer at least getting to the playoffs most years but failing over ending up in last place in the division more years than not? Hell yes. Why wouldn't you? However, that is not going to make me become a Capitols fan more than a Redskins fan. I still like football better than hockey and quite frankly it's not even close. 

Ultimately it's not about liking the teams more or less - it's about which sport you like more. And most Redskins fans like football more. It's really that simple.  

I'm with ya brother.  Don't get me wrong, the Nats and Caps have ripped my guts out the last handful of seasons, but I've been a Skins fan FAR longer than I've been a fan of the other teams.  While OF COURSE I want to see a title come here, I'm not going to take relevancy for granted either.  Looking back this has been one hell of a ride, and you hope we can find a way to hoist a trophy, as well as a meaningful banner.  That said, IF/WHEN the Skins get to that point, Its likely going to be up there with the biggest moments of my life.  I was 7 when the Redskins won the superbowl last, and while I remember it and cherish it... it's been a LOONG time.  

12 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

LOL I’ve never seen such a buffoon in action. Still have nightmares of that fake punt pass with Hunter Smith and we lined up, looked like total idiots, then called a timeout. Only to come out in the same formation again. Needless to say, the play didn’t work. Zorn was truly another kind of special. So basically a long winded way of saying that I was not hardcore for zorn. His shades were dreamy though. 

Would've been a great play if they didn't call timeout.  Knew right away the long snapper was supposed to be an eligible receiver based on the formation.  He walks in if they get the snap off.  But, to line-up in it AFTER the timeout was the height of stupidity and was certainly a great example that encompassed that whole regime. 

I was just busting your balls, of course.  I think Fab is going to be a player, as well.

11 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Would've been a great play if they didn't call timeout.  Knew right away the long snapper was supposed to be an eligible receiver based on the formation.  He walks in if they get the snap off.  But, to line-up in it AFTER the timeout was the height of stupidity and was certainly a great example that encompassed that whole regime. 

I was just busting your balls, of course.  I think Fab is going to be a player, as well.

I was actually at that game with my brother in law. It was one of the few times I was actually embarrassed to be a Redskins fan - well at least up to that point anyway. 

I wanted to go down and smack Zorn upside the head personally. What an unmitigated disaster. 

3 hours ago, carex said:

how many snaps did the rookies we're drafting this year and hoping will make an impact play?  Oh right, ZERO!

Hoping and expecting are two different things in my opinion. You can hope  a player will make an impact or you can expect it. I hope Fabian becomes an impact player but there is nothing from his rookie year in it's entirety that leads me to expect it. He didn't start, he didn't play much at all and he got injured throughout the year. 

Part of the problem, not only with management but also with the fan base is that people latch on to certain player who haven't proven ****. There are people suggesting Norman isn't needed because we have Fabian. How ****ing comical is that. Fabian didn't do anything in his rookie year to warrant anyone to suggest Norman isn't needed. Sure, Fabian might turn out to be a great corner, but he certainly hasn't shown it yet. Maybe with more playing time he will.

It's just the fan base never seems to learn. They are doing it with Johnathan Allen also. The guy might turn out to be very special but the way some people are talking about him, you'd think we have a seasoned Reggie White on the roster. The guy played 4 games and hurt himself. The first 2 games (and preseason) people questioned his talents because he wasn't making any impact plays. Then for 2 games he does really well, gets hurt and now people think he is a stud. 

Take 2 of Preston Smiths best games and all of a sudden he is a stud also. It's just ridiculous. I get it, the fan base is hungry to find star caliber players because we desperately lack grade A talent but maybe we should save the expectations for guys who...

1. Aren't injured

2. Play

3. Start

instead of guys who...

1. Are injured

2. Barely play

3. Don't even start

@dyst - I agree with that in principle, but I think it’s natural to have higher expectations for guys with higher draft grades.  There are absolutely no guarantees of course, and so tempering expectations and avoiding assumptions is the smart way to go.   

Stepping back for a second, I’m glad the Redskins have, for the most part, lifted themselves out of the muddy pool of ineptitude and embarrassment (it was hard being a fan for a time there), but it sure would be nice to see that next step taken in the near future.  

39 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree that football definitely turns the needle more for fans.  I myself have been less and less a football fan and more and more a proper football and hockey fan the last few years.  I still religiously watch the Redskins, but I am more willing to watch a soccer game that doesn't involve my team than a NFL or college game.  It's just where I'm at in my life I guess.  Due to the rules, I think there are more things you can do tactically in hockey and soccer than in football and it's just more interesting for me to watch.

I think a perfect example of this was Chad Dukes took a poll on what his audience wanted to hear yesterday and more folks wanted to talk about RG3 signing in Baltimore than the Wizards in the playoffs.

That shouldn't preclude them from dumping on the teams that have had the same glaring holes and fail for the same reasons in the playoffs - regardless of whether or not they are making the playoffs consistently or not. 

It's a sign of laziness and catering to what gets clicks.  That's the whole discussion from my perspective and it's indefensible.

2 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Some amazing free agency discussion going on in this thread.

FA is all but dead right now.  Not sure what you'd like the conversation to be about.

While the current discussion is about the media not pouncing on the other DC squads like they do the Skins, it spawned off of the media not being impressed with the Skins FA and offseason in general.  So it's still sort of on topic.

The only thing that could bring this thread back to relevancy is signing Hankins.  I won't hold my breath.

The 21-year old Australian National Rugby League player has five visits set up this week, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com. After visiting the Washington Redskins on Monday, Mailata will visit the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Chargers through the rest of the week.

The 6-foot-8, 346-pound Mailata is viewed as a possible offensive tackle by scouts though he’s never played a down of American football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/rugby-player-jordan-mailata-visiting-with-five-teams-this-week/

28 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

FA is all but dead right now.  Not sure what you'd like the conversation to be about.

While the current discussion is about the media not pouncing on the other DC squads like they do the Skins, it spawned off of the media not being impressed with the Skins FA and offseason in general.  

No, it is not. It’s a legit topic, but it belongs in its own thread. 

Title it— I Can’t Get No Redskins Satisfaction— or some such. This thread ought to be about free agency. If there’s no free agency news let it go dormant for a while. 

The thing that is weird is that Dallas really did the d-bag thing by letting him go way after free agency begun. Everyone knows the classy thing to to do is cut your vets as early as you can because it increases their options meaning they will get paid a bit more and they can choose the team they are playing for.

Seems like Dallas did Dez dirty... 

Archived