Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Vaccaro is interesting to me.  HUGE talent coming out of the draft and was definitely a weak link in his first stop.

Could the #Dolphins get a top-flight defender this late in free agent? Source said #Saints S Kenny Vaccaro is visiting Miami today. Would add firepower on the back end.

10 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Could the #Dolphins get a top-flight defender this late in free agent? Source said #Saints S Kenny Vaccaro is visiting Miami today. Would add firepower on the back end.

Yeah there are a few cats still out there where it appears the money needs to work for both the team and the player.  He is certainly one of them who still has a very high opinion of himself.  I wish we could take a flyer on him.  Heck if we had the room to get he and Hankins in here this draft would really be something to watch.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

How about signing Reid (talented and cheaper than Hankins) and drafting Vea ?

I think the issue there is that the FO are really hot on Nicholson and DJ. 

Unless DJ tweets himself out of town, they like that pairing with maybe a rookie to add or a vet after the draft. Bet we'd only be offering back up money I'd say. Plus we could end up with a stud DB falling to us at #13 to cover that roll.

11 hours ago, skins2victory said:

Alright then...............

I came into this thread to see the latest free agency news. Specifically was hoping for some Hankins news. It becomes time consuming scrolling through all the non free agency arguments. It's literally transformed from Redskins free agency into are we better, or worse than the Browns this year?? Isn't there a Browns thread, or a random thought thread for that. Come on now!  HTTR

There aren't many free agents left for anyone to drool over or talk about.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the mods close this thread  once Hankins signs somewhere. :) 

1 hour ago, beachboy757 said:

"...a stunning $47 million guaranteed"

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Good thing we weren't able to trade up into the 1st round for this guy last year.

Pete Prisco's Grade: A

CBSSports.com senior NFL writer Pete Prisco is a big fan of the 49ers' pick. 

"He has a Ray Lewis-type of game. Love this pick. Top-10 talent."

Instant analysis 

For the 49ers, this pick is a steal because they didn't think there was any way Foster would still be available this late in the draft. The reason Foster fell so far is because he was dealing with several issues that seemed to scare off dozens of teams during the first round of the draft on Thursday.   

There were a few red flags on Foster leading up to the NFL Draft, but apparently, that didn't scare off the 49ers.

35 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Instant analysis 

For the 49ers, this pick is a steal because they didn't think there was any way Foster would still be available this late in the draft. The reason Foster fell so far is because he was dealing with several issues that seemed to scare off dozens of teams during the first round of the draft on Thursday.   

There were a few red flags on Foster leading up to the NFL Draft, but apparently, that didn't scare off the 49ers.

Looks like the rookie GM and head coach got taken to school.  Suddenly, that draft class doesn't look all that great.  Even Solomon Thomas looked pedestrian at best last year.

Yeah, the young GMs always thinking they can outsmart everyone else.  

Foster had red flags for a long time before the draft.  First his committing to Alabama, then Auburn, then Alabama in the course of a year and a half.  Then the incident where he was at the club, but not involved allegedly.  But then the fact he got sent home from the combine and had a diluted test told a lot about how off he is.  The combine is the one place you should be able to keep your issues in check long enough to secure millions of dollars.  If anyone cant do that, the issues are likely so bad they will never be in check.  Kind of like Randy Gregory.

14 hours ago, mojo said:

I've got a question.  Why are we so cash strapped?  And now I'm reading it will be worse next year.  I know we have big money tied to Alex Smith, Trent, and Norman but it seems so many other teams are spending crazy money and we cant afford a 2nd tier D tackle.

The biggest issue I see is that the Redskins don't get great value out of their draft picks.  It's looking like that may be changing soon, however, is many guys in their 2nd/3rd years will be counted on this year.  Some of these guys need to perform well on their cheap rookie contracts to make a team work.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Looks like the rookie GM and head coach got taken to school.  Suddenly, that draft class doesn't look all that great.  Even Solomon Thomas looked pedestrian at best last year.

We lucked out big time too because the team competing with the 49ers to trade up for Foster was the Redskins -- that came out later if I recall Jay confirmed that.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

We lucked out big time too because the team competing with the 49ers to trade up for Foster was the Redskins -- that came out later if I recall Jay confirmed that.

Yep we wanted to jump back up for Foster too apparently.

Going off avg/year (which isn’t the ideal way to look st it, but...), we have the highest paid corner, the 3rd highest paid TE, LT and RT, and the 6th highest paid OLB and QB.  

I’m guessing that the mid range FAs we’ve brought in - the McGee, Lauvao, McClain types also eat/ate into that money.  They’re likely to beat out the UDFAs and late round draft picks because of their experience, but you’re also (often) paying them 5-10 times the amount.  

I think this is one area in particular that Allen’s FA habits can have a negative impact, though perhaps a part of that is on the coaches for retaining them.  Of course the coaches might not have much choice in certain cases - Allen’s 2 year contracts are ok for the long term, but often leave these guys ‘uncuttable’ in the short term.  

I reckon at this stage we can assume Hankins will get offered better money elsewhere. That maybe doesn't mean he goes elsewhere as a medium term deal from a team he really doesn't want to go to may not fit what he wants. But I'm struggling to see how we get him on a reasonable deal and I can't see Allen going 8-10 mil per year over a multi year deal. That's actually fair enough in my eyes, its not like the NFL GMs are fighting over him.

I do like a few vets still on the market. I'd even circle back around DRC if he stays unsigned, Boone, Maclin, all post draft depending. So we have options still.

Allen did say that 'hopefully someone cuts a really good player we want' type of line. We will be sitting on someone I reckon. I'm sure there is a whole load of chatter amongst teams as to who is on the bubble. We've kept cap space for one more 'good' deal. I believe it will happen.

16 hours ago, Califan007 said:

For how long...until after the draft? lol

Can you imagine if the Browns went 0-16 or 1-15 again?...Seriously, imagine the Skins being 1-47 over the last three years, and our only win was with RG3 behind center.

Revisit topic in 2 years

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I reckon at this stage we can assume Hankins will get offered better money elsewhere. That maybe doesn't mean he goes elsewhere as a medium term deal from a team he really doesn't want to go to may not fit what he wants. But I'm struggling to see how we get him on a reasonable deal and I can't see Allen going 8-10 mil per year over a multi year deal. That's actually fair enough in my eyes, its not like the NFL GMs are fighting over him.

I do like a few vets still on the market. I'd even circle back around DRC if he stays unsigned, Boone, Maclin, all post draft depending. So we have options still.

Allen did say that 'hopefully someone cuts a really good player we want' type of line. We will be sitting on someone I reckon. I'm sure there is a whole load of chatter amongst teams as to who is on the bubble. We've kept cap space for one more 'good' deal. I believe it will happen.

Hankins should be a Redskin by now, it opens the possibilities in the draft for us to go in any direction. He is 26 and good not 32 and **** Just sign the man. If they sign him for let's say $7m per year you can release McClain and get Hankins for $4m this year.

HTTR 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I am guessing they are sticking to their price whatever it is for Hankins and the idea is to see how the draft unfolds and what weakness remains afterwards and they hope a team lets go of a player they like post draft that fits their needs. 

41 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Hankins should be a Redskin by now, it opens the possibilities in the draft for us to go in any direction. He is 26 and good not 32 and **** Just sign the man. If they sign him for let's say $7m per year you can release McClain and get Hankins for $4m this year.

HTTR 

Problem is that the only news so far says Hankins wants $10m per year and has not yet reduced his price.  It would be nice to have him but he is not and never will be worth that much and so I am happy to wait and hope the price comes down.  Most of the other teams that kicked the tires on him have moved on to other targets so we may get lucky and be the last seat available when reality hits him.

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

7mil...he'd be signed by now, got to get realistic here. His demands will be way in excess of that right now so how the hell we signing him for 7mil per year. 

You think Hankins is there for 7mil. Really.

Archived