Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Poor Snyder, the WaPo meanies are still out to get him. :ols:

I think you'd have to look around really hard to find anyone in any capacity, with or without bias, to say that the Redskins offseason is any better than C at this point.  They lost their starting QB, gave up assets to acquire another one with a healthy price tag, took corner from a position of strength to a position of need.  Got no help to stop the run or run the ball.  Still don't have all that much cap room this season and much less for 2019.

Obviously as fans you want to believe that all is going to work out this time, but for folks without a horse in the race I'm finding it very difficult to find reasons for them to be optimistic.

Some of the biggest names still available, like Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid and Mike Mitchell, remain unsigned because of dissatisfaction with the money being tendered. Another one is Tre Boston, who understandably finds himself dumbfounded at what has unfolded.

Boston thought he would be able to cash in after the best season of his NFL career; he posted career highs in tackles (79), pass break-ups (eight) and interceptions (five) last season with the Chargers. And with Boston not turning 26 until July, the best should still be yet to come.

Yet more than two weeks into the signing period, Boston still hasn't gotten the offer he wants after initially receiving interest from Arizona, Oakland, Cleveland and the New York Giants.

"Just like a few of the other guys, we’re just not hearing anything near what we want to hear or even close," Boston told co-host Ed McCaffrey and me Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "We're closer to veteran minimum than we are to the $7-, $8-, $9-million players we wanted to be two months ago or even eight months ago."

One NFL team executive told Sporting News the overall lack of top-end speed among free-agent safeties is one of the contributing factors to a repressed market.

"It’s a marginal group," the executive said. “You really don’t have one cover safety in the group. You have some decent box types like Vaccaro and Reid, but it’s primarily backup types left.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-safety-free-agents-best-available-tre-boston-eric-reid-kenny-vaccaro/7mvhjumemrdp1vhe0nptkfg62

There are so many SS type players out there that they are in an over supply-under demand situation. Sucks for them but no one is going to pay 7-9M per for an in the box type safety. 

-----------------------------

Would like to re sign Bree for 3yrs 15M if he would take it. Sign Hankins. Then draft Fitzpatrick and make him a FS (if he can be sideline to sideline)

39 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Boswell's article is garbage, IMO.

He throws absurd statements out there like nobody wants to play for the Redskins, no matter how  much money Snyder throws at them, yet he offers nothing to back that nonsense up.

Then he gives the team a C- or D because he feels they haven't done enough in this offseason to acquire free agents. Yet if the Redskins had gotten a bunch of free agents, Boswell would've STILL given them a C- or D claiming:

"There goes Snyder, back to his free-spending ways, grabbing up all the over-priced free agents, and trying to by a Super Bowl"

Typical Washington (Com)Post article at its finest (lowest). :) 

Nobody in their right mind should pay attention to Boswell when it comes to the Redskins...I can't be the only one who remembers this from Boswell before the 2015 season:

Time for some straight talk: Redskins most likely will be bad for a while

What is the mass delusion that engulfs Washington and allows it to continue to obsess about one awful team in one sport — endlessly, year-round? When will this town face the NFL facts: When a franchise gets as bad as ours has become over an extended period of time — 32-64 in the past six seasons, outscored by 457 points — it usually stays bad for years and years. And years.

I’ve analyzed every team since 1983, the first post-strike season. I’ve screened for really, really, bad teams comparable to Washington now. I’ll give you data later. But what we need to face are the conclusions.

●The average outcome for teams in Washington’s position is that, over the next four years, they will go 26-38, without a single winning NFL season, and be outscored by 217 points. And in 2019, they still be losers, outscored by 47 points.

●Is there any hope? Yes, if the team gets a new coach such as Marv Levy, Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson or Andy Reid. They turned around teams just as bad as Washington is now, or worse. Is that who Jay Gruden looks like to you? Getting a Jim Kelly or Troy Aikman would do it. Do you see one of those?

●If Washington doesn’t get such a transformative force at coach or a headed-to-Canton quarterback, dark days likely will last past 2019. Given the history of teams that fall as low as our city has plummeted, a reasonable guess of their next year with a record better than 8-8 is 2021. Digest 2021. Could be even worse.

So as July 4 arrives, can we clam up about this clown-car team and focus on local or national athletes who actually know how to play their sports?

At the end of last season, I tried to point out, tactfully, that this city’s beloved 11 is historically putrid, multi-generationally pathetic and so bad (the worst Washington team in back-to-back seasons since 1960 and ’61) that any honest evaluation must begin from one premise: They stink.

No one listened. The delusion-fest continues. Now it is a new general manager who is promoted as the latest savior. We also hear the NFL is the sport of parity; teams that go 3-13, then 4-12, can go to the playoffs in a year or two.

This is just nonsense.

Parity helps mediocre teams. Parity helps below average teams. Parity helps unlucky teams that have a bad year or two because they lose a lot of close games or have bad takeaway-turnover ratios that distort our view of their basic talent.

Parity does not help the genuinely awful NFL franchises like Washington.

Seriously....anyone thinking Boswell should be given any credibility whatsoever when it comes to analyzing the Redskins should have their heads examined. And that wasn't the only time Boswell decided snark, cynicism and condescension were the best tools to use in analyzing the Skins and their fanbase. How anyone here can either forget or overlook this **** baffles me.

39 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Some of the biggest names still available, like Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid and Mike Mitchell, remain unsigned because of dissatisfaction with the money being tendered. Another one is Tre Boston, who understandably finds himself dumbfounded at what has unfolded.

Boston thought he would be able to cash in after the best season of his NFL career; he posted career highs in tackles (79), pass break-ups (eight) and interceptions (five) last season with the Chargers. And with Boston not turning 26 until July, the best should still be yet to come.

Yet more than two weeks into the signing period, Boston still hasn't gotten the offer he wants after initially receiving interest from Arizona, Oakland, Cleveland and the New York Giants.

"Just like a few of the other guys, we’re just not hearing anything near what we want to hear or even close," Boston told co-host Ed McCaffrey and me Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "We're closer to veteran minimum than we are to the $7-, $8-, $9-million players we wanted to be two months ago or even eight months ago."

One NFL team executive told Sporting News the overall lack of top-end speed among free-agent safeties is one of the contributing factors to a repressed market.

"It’s a marginal group," the executive said. “You really don’t have one cover safety in the group. You have some decent box types like Vaccaro and Reid, but it’s primarily backup types left.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-safety-free-agents-best-available-tre-boston-eric-reid-kenny-vaccaro/7mvhjumemrdp1vhe0nptkfg62

There are so many SS type players out there that they are in an over supply-under demand situation. Sucks for them but no one is going to pay 7-9M per for an in the box type safety. 

-----------------------------

Would like to re sign Bree for 3yrs 15M if he would take it. Sign Hankins. Then draft Fitzpatrick and make him a FS (if he can be sideline to sideline)

I remember Cooley talking about Boston and LaMarcus Joyner and how he would sign either in a heartbeat.   Boston has to be cheaper now and although we love Nicholson he injuries himself a lot and DJ tweets are getting annoying. 

Was Boswell's prediction for 2015 really that ridiculous? We were coming off a 4-12 season and seemed to have no QB. Playing a last place schedule we were 4-6 in November and got hot to win a bad division at 9-7. 

Glad he was wrong and all but not sure how this makes Boswell an idiot. The whining about WaPo is pathetic. 

15 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

Was Boswell's prediction for 2015 really that ridiculous? We were coming off a 4-12 season and seemed to have no QB. Playing a last place schedule we were 4-6 in November and got hot to win a bad division at 9-7. 

Glad he was wrong and all but not sure how this makes Boswell an idiot. The whining about WaPo is pathetic. 

Absolutely was. His inability to understand what to actually look for when trying to predict any NFL team's future is laughable. He doesn't just claim the Skins won't have a winning season in 2015, he claims the team won't have a winning season until at least 2021. You don't think that's ridiculous? And he claims we'd all be delusional to think otherwise. It also showed he had practically zero insider info on the team, and the insulting tone of his write-up shows his predictions are based more on emotion than logic (his stats were also wrong in areas, but not gonna go back into that again lol). 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think you'd have to look around really hard to find anyone in any capacity, with or without bias, to say that the Redskins offseason is any better than C at this point.

The condemnation of Boswell's article has nothing to do with what grade the Redskins deserve this offseason.

It has to do with the fact that no matter WHAT the Redskins did this offseason (get a bunch of free agents, get no free agents, whatever) Boswell would've given them a poor grade.

They are called the (Com)Post for a reason, because they stink.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Parity helps mediocre teams. Parity helps below average teams. Parity helps unlucky teams that have a bad year or two because they lose a lot of close games or have bad takeaway-turnover ratios that distort our view of their basic talent.

Well, that's us right down to a "T" isn't it?

54 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

It goes to the laziness of the journalism in DC.  Pound on the Redskins.  Who do their fair share of deserving it, but it's easy to write puff pieces with a couple of stats and hand it in because we have guys with names like "Battered Fan Syndrome" (No offense, dude, I'm just using you as an example) and the like who will click on the articles and help them put food on their families table.

Yet, teams like the Nats - who are mentally weak and usually have the same problems year in and year out, get a pass.  They win the division but we all know what that means. 

The Caps.  They win the division, but don't get past the second round because they're mentally weak.

The Wizards are an abortion.  They usually sneak into the playoffs because half the teams in the conference make it (just like the NHL) and fail because they don't have a good core.

NOTE:  Both of Ted's teams make HORRENDOUS trades.  Yet they get a pass.  Cause no one really cares unless you are a die hard, like many of us are, but the average cat isn't.

Go look at the write-ups about the Redskins after they lost to the Packers in the playoffs.  We went from "This team sucks and they don't have the goods," to "Well the coach clearly sucks because he made some bad choices here with these players that anyone could win with."

It's why the seasoned Redskin fan usually only reads a few dudes who are pretty center-mass on their reporting. 

Report facts, not opinions.  I'll make my own opinions, thanks.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Well, that's us right down to a "T" isn't it?

Not according to Boswell lol...we are (or were) among the absolute most pathetic teams and franchises in NFL history, with a fan base caught in the midst of a "delusion-fest" because we didn't listen to his sage words.

He tried to warn us, guys lol...

Just now, Califan007 said:

Not according to Boswell lol...we are (or were) among the absolute most pathetic teams and franchises in NFL history, with a fan base caught in the midst of a "delusion-fest" because we didn't listen to his sage words.

He tried to warn us, guys lol...

Who was that one dude.  Dan Daly!!!  That **** stick was talking about how Kyle Shanny AND Jay Gruden should never work in the league again and would be trash because they ruined Griffin.

At least, to my knowledge, he is unemployed when it comes to writing.  That dude was pure trash.  He blocked me on twitter for asking a simple question.  The only dude worse than NBC Dianna for me.

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Who was that one dude.  Dan Daly!!!  That **** stick was talking about how Kyle Shanny AND Jay Gruden should never work in the league again and would be trash because they ruined Griffin.

At least, to my knowledge, he is unemployed when it comes to writing.  That dude was pure trash.  He blocked me on twitter for asking a simple question.  The only dude worse than NBC Dianna for me.

That name sounds familiar...and I don't doubt there were writers who acted emotionally towards Skins coaches due to RG3's demotion(s - plural lol). Some national guys did the same. How freaking hard is it to just see things objectively, or at least objectively enough to write a sensible article about a sports team.

Then again, we had professional sportswriters claiming that Art Monk was unworthy of the HOF because all he did was catch 8 yard hitches or some **** lol...

40 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Absolutely was. His inability to understand what to actually look for when trying to predict any NFL team's future is laughable. He doesn't just claim the Skins won't have a winning season in 2015, he claims the team won't have a winning season until at least 2021. You don't think that's ridiculous? And he claims we'd all be delusional to think otherwise. It also showed he had practically zero insider info on the team, and the insulting tone of his write-up shows his predictions are based more on emotion than logic (his stats were also wrong in areas, but not gonna go back into that again lol). 

He's saying that since 1983, if you take a look at teams who were outscored by 100+ points in back to back years, it took them an average of approximately 4 years to get over .500. So 2019 when that was written. He estimates 2021 since a few of the other 18 teams in that position had guys like Parcells and Reid come in and turn things around quickly.

We've gone 24-23-1 since that prediction with better QB play than anyone expected at the start of that season. I'm beyond sick of the Kirk Cousins debate but I think most people can at least acknowledge we wouldn't have been 24-23-1 with McCoy or RG3 starting and that Cousins played better over the last 3 years than anyone would have thought going into the 2015 season.

Boswell is salty that the Skins are #1 here regardless of how well the Nats/Caps/Wiz are playing. The article is whiny. Still I don't think the prediction itself was ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

He's saying that since 1983, if you take a look at teams who were outscored by 100+ points in back to back years, it took them an average of approximately 4 years to get over .500. So 2019 when that was written. He estimates 2021 since a few of the other 18 teams in that position had guys like Parcells and Reid come in and turn things around quickly.

We've gone 24-23-1 since that prediction with better QB play than anyone expected at the start of that season. I'm beyond sick of the Kirk Cousins debate but I think most people can at least acknowledge we wouldn't have been 24-23-1 with McCoy or RG3 starting and that Cousins played better over the last 3 years than anyone would have thought going into the 2015 season.

Boswell is salty that the Skins are #1 here regardless of how well the Nats/Caps/Wiz are playing. The article is whiny. Still I don't think the prediction itself was ridiculous.

His exact words:

"...a reasonable guess of their next year with a record better than 8-8 is 2021. Digest 2021. Could be even worse. "

That prediction in no way, shape or form should EVER be considered "reasonable" in today's free-agency NFL...for ANY team. He predicted one winning season in 12 years. There is ZERO way of predicting a losing stretch like that, because waaaaaaay too much can occur over that long of a timespan. It's an asinine way to make a prediction about the number of winning seasons for a team over the next 7 years.

And again, can't stress this enough...some of his stats he used to make that prediction were wrong. That alone should invalidate his predictions, as well as his ability to make them. Because if you use Boswell's own logic, Gruden and Cousins just did what only HOF-worthy coaches and QBs have been able to do in the past. So obviously both of them are "Canton-bound"....right? lol

On a sidebar, Cooley has talked about Bruce's negotiation tactics before.  He said from his own experience -- he goes super low and then over time the agent gets him to prop up his offer.  Cooley has talked about how he thinks Bruce's low initial bid can actually effect some players/agents psychology where some shrug it off and others say screw that guy and are put off by it and say we aren't signing there.

So that's brought up a little todday in the context of Hankins where Cooley goes yeah its possible that the offer is so low that Hankins goes we are not signing there no matter what.  In other words, Cooley was suggesting that it takes a certain psychology that some players may have versus others to go with the flow of a Bruce negotiation. He's gone into that in other segments but not today.

There is only one reason why I found that interesting was because of the MMQ article from months back where they gave a year window into the agent's negotiation a contract for a player (they didn't mention what player).  In that article, the agent runs through the negotiation and part of the soup was the player's initial offer from his team was so low that the agent just checked out pretty much right away and then focused on other teams.

Is that me saying that's what happened with Hankins and some of the other guys who came here and signed elsewhere?  I got no idea.  But Cooley who has actually been in a negotiation with Bruce defines Bruce's style that way.  Mike Lombardi (who worked with Bruce) in a different way alluded to the same thing.

If so, I think that approach can be good or bad depending on context/player.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

That name sounds familiar...and I don't doubt there were writers who acted emotionally towards Skins coaches due to RG3's demotion(s - plural lol). Some national guys did the same. How freaking hard is it to just see things objectively, or at least objectively enough to write a sensible article about a sports team.

Then again, we had professional sportswriters claiming that Art Monk was unworthy of the HOF because all he did was catch 8 yard hitches or some **** lol...

Everyone has an agenda and culturally we are eliminating the ability for folks to compartmentalize issues.  Usually sports is one way to do that among dudes, especially, who don't know each other.

"Hey, catch the game last night?" 

"Yeah, how about them Yankees?"

Has turned into:

"Did you see the game last night?"

"Yeah, and I LOVE Lebron, and I respect that he went back to Cleveland - but Jordan would never let that happen, ya' know?"

Honestly part of the reason my draw to this website is so strong year in and year out.  We usually know what we're all going to say and it's pretty comforting in a world of uncertainty lol

@Skinsinparadise I'd guess Poston would know exactly what he was walking into when getting Hankins a visit with us. I don't for one minute think that a low offer from Allen would have put them off. Poston would already know it was going to be low. Coming here was simply the first move to make, probably one he would think would have effect across subsequent visits with other teams. 

The 'good' news at present is that no one else has blinked on him....yet..

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is pretty much my beef with having a completely rigid approach as a GM.  It sounds good and all to have this value system where each player is given X value and the team won't budge and pay over the value they've assigned.  But that only works if the value system you've created is legit.  It also completely removes the human element from these transactions and interactions.  There is value in being a good person and treating people well, often times you may end up with a deal you may not have otherwise gotten.  You really have to balance both your value system and the personal side of things.  Now if you have a system that is tried and proven, you have more leeway aka Bill B. and the Pats.  But when you're heading up the FO of a perennial loser over the past few decades, you should probably leave that approach at the door.

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On a sidebar, Cooley has talked about Bruce's negotiation tactics before.  He said from his own experience -- he goes super low and then over time the agent gets him to prop up his offer.  Cooley has talked about how he thinks Bruce's low initial bid can actually effect some players/agents psychology where some shrug it off and others say screw that guy and are put off by it and say we aren't signing there.

Edit

Is that me saying that's what happened with Hankins and some of the other guys who came here and signed elsewhere?  I got no idea.  But Cooley who has actually been in a negotiation with Bruce defines Bruce's style that way.  Mike Lombardi (who worked with Bruce) in a different way alluded to the same thing.

That all makes sense. But I have to say for Hankins, it seems unlikely they would come in without at least having some idea of where the Redskins would come in. Low? Certainly. But so low that he is just not going to sign here - I doubt it. I think Hankins is hoping someone blinks. I doubt this goes past the draft. He risks the current high bidder(s) solving their issue in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise I'd guess Poston would know exactly what he was walking into when getting Hankins a visit with us. I don't for one minute think that a low offer from Allen would have put them off. Poston would already know it was going to be low. Coming here was simply the first move to make, probably one he would think would have effect across subsequent visits with other teams. 

The 'good' news at present is that no one else has blinked on him....yet..

Yeah Cooley wasn't even suggesting he had any inside take on Hankins.  But he's basically described Bruce's negotiation tactics using a real estate analogy of going with a shocking low bid just to see if it works.  I recall one of the narratives on the Kirk contract was a story I read that Kirk got an offer while he was in London from the team and the number was so surprisingly low it put him in a sour mood.

Cooley talked about the same drill with his own situation but he patted himself on the back by suggesting he's so laid back and he gets its just a gambit via Bruce that he took it in stride but he could see other players might not.

As for Hankins, agree Poston's rep is to just milk it for as much money as possible so he likes patiently waits for the most money his player can get.

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That all makes sense. But I have to say for Hankins, it seems unlikely they would come in without at least having some idea of where the Redskins would come in. Low? Certainly. But so low that he is just not going to sign here - I doubt it. I think Hankins is hoping someone blinks. I doubt this goes past the draft. He risks the current high bidder(s) solving their issue in the draft. 

Agree, my point isn't Hankins related, I just brought him up in that way because Cooley did and I found it amusing

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is pretty much my beef with having a completely rigid approach as a GM.  It sounds good and all to have this value system where each player is given X value and the team won't budge and pay over the value they've assigned.  But that only works if the value system you've created is legit.  It also completely removes the human element from these transactions and interactions.  There is value in being a good person and treating people well, often times you may end up with a deal you may not have otherwise gotten.  You really have to balance both your value system and the personal side of things.  Now if you have a system that is tried and proven, you have more leeway aka Bill B. and the Pats.  But when you're heading up the FO of a perennial loser over the past few decades, you should probably leave that approach at the door.

Agree with all of this.  And also while I understand the value of "getting a deal" in FA.  And there is a clear upside to it but to get the higher end FA's you are unlikely to get them for a deal.    They didn't get a deal for example with J. Norman so that was an exception.  But as Cooley likes to say the team is loaded with C +, B type of players and desperately need some A guys.  I agree with that.  So that's why in FA, I'd rather spend money on 2 big gets like the Vikings did versus 5-6 players who aren't A guys. 

43 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Everyone has an agenda and culturally we are eliminating the ability for folks to compartmentalize issues.  Usually sports is one way to do that among dudes, especially, who don't know each other.

"Hey, catch the game last night?" 

"Yeah, how about them Yankees?"

Has turned into:

"Did you see the game last night?"

"Yeah, and I LOVE Lebron, and I respect that he went back to Cleveland - but Jordan would never let that happen, ya' know?"

Honestly part of the reason my draw to this website is so strong year in and year out.  We usually know what we're all going to say and it's pretty comforting in a world of uncertainty lol

Oh, ****...that is so true!! lol...I never looked at it that way before. A ****-ton of compartmentalization is done on twitter...

Archived