Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

How much better/different is CJ Anderson than what we have in Robert Kelley? If we do sign Anderson I would still look to get a back in round 2 if one of the big guns is sitting there, specifically Guice. I know Anderson is a hard runner but it makes me wonder why Denver is flat out releasing him? I guess what I'm really thinking is that guys like CJ Anderson and Paul Richardson don't excite me but when I look at a team like the Eagles these are the kind of skill players they have in key positions. Veteran guys who aren't studs but fit in well. If signing CJ helps us build up the O-line or D-line in the draft then I'm all for it, assuming he's an upgrade over Kelley. 

Before exercising the option the team was in 4th worst shape for cap space having only 23M on the books next year:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

The 5th year option on BS is reportedly worth 12.5 million and makes him the 2nd highest paid Guard in the league according to this

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/16/17243446/redskins-exercise-5th-year-option-for-brandon-scherff

So right now they are looking at having only 10 million left in next years cap space. Now I know that they have options to free up more space but since I was curious about this and did the research figured why not share it and save some people some time 

I would imagine at this point it would be a matter of perspective, based on his history and recent comments I doubt Dez is going to want much less than he was originally set to earn this year and he would certainly not entertain a visit so that we can kick the tires.  I imagine right now he is anticipating a bidding war for his services as the future HOF player he thinks he is.  If we are sitting here a month from now with him unsigned then reality may have hit him hard enough that he recognizes his true value and would take a low number but in all probability a desperate GM somewhere throws enough cash at him to get a deal done before the draft.

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

How much better/different is CJ Anderson than what we have in Robert Kelley? If we do sign Anderson I would still look to get a back in round 2 if one of the big guns is sitting there, specifically Guice. I know Anderson is a hard runner but it makes me wonder why Denver is flat out releasing him? I guess what I'm really thinking is that guys like CJ Anderson and Paul Richardson don't excite me but when I look at a team like the Eagles these are the kind of skill players they have in key positions. Veteran guys who aren't studs but fit in well. If signing CJ helps us build up the O-line or D-line in the draft then I'm all for it, assuming he's an upgrade over Kelley. 

About the same using any comparable bench marks.  Any other thought is just based on assumption. Few RBs actually create the running game, they just can elevate it or drag it down.  Kelly does not elevate our run game but doesn't drag it down. Anderson doesn't elevate Denver's run game. he just doesn't drag it down. I don't know if we can actually find a back who could truly elevate our run game via FA.  I know D. Murray or even Alfred Morris did but I don't know if they could do it anymore.  Anderson would not be an improvement on what we got.

If Dez never plays another down in the NFL, he is set to receive about 45k a month starting at age 55 (assuming he never took advantage of the NFL's 401K plan and not including any social security).  The value of that is probably a lot less than what he would make even playing another year or so at vet minimum (plus he'd increase that pension to about 50k a month and may more if he goes 2 more) but he'd have a much better chance of being healthy then.

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Kelley has done nothing consistent other than a 3 game spell in the middle of the 2016 season. Perine averages 3.4 ypc.

Anderson has just had a 1000 yard season and can actually block and catch the ball consistently. Denver didn't want to pay him 4.5mil.

Worth a go on a reasonable 2 or 3 year deal. Doesn't stop us drafting a speedster RB who can get 12-15 touches per game. Add in CT25, better group for a Gruden to work with.

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Before exercising the option the team was in 4th worst shape for cap space having only 23M on the books next year:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

The 5th year option on BS is reportedly worth 12.5 million and makes him the 2nd highest paid Guard in the league according to this

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/16/17243446/redskins-exercise-5th-year-option-for-brandon-scherff

So right now they are looking at having only 10 million left in next years cap space. Now I know that they have options to free up more space but since I was curious about this and did the research figured why not share it and save some people some time 

We have 48 guys under contract for next year according to Spotrac.  Of the other teams in the bottom half next year in terms of cap space, very few have 40 or over, most of them aren’t even close to 40, and a couple/few have 20-something.  

Not posting this to say we’re fine or anything - we most likely have to make some tough choices between cutting some guys and re-signing a few (or not) - but there’s significant context to consider.  

While looking this up, I came across an article about how the Eagles are in the best position for the next 3 years.  I’m sure there’s context there as well, but that kinda sucks.  

Archived