Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

The problem with comparing current cap $ to current cap $ is that is a bit of an oranges to apples as the cap is an accounting fiction.  Guys on their rookie deals are going to be cheap, FAs, even those with huge contracts, are often relatively cheap cap-wise in the first year or two of their deals and usually you only need 1 or 2 elites on your oline if you can identify a few other just able to consistently do their job no more. Our biggest problem running the ball is really about the way we run and not having WR/TEs who set the edges.  Finally, following the leader is why we keep missing the wave.

Yeah i get that, just wondering out loud if we have under valued the position being it's the position calling out protections and such. But alas your right about wr/te's being a big part of the issue.

2 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Yeah i get that, just wondering out loud if we have under valued the position being it's the position calling out protections and such. But alas your right about wr/te's being a big part of the issue.

I know you know this, but...

If we didn’t have Roullier and had re-signed Long, we might be paying our C in the neighborhood of 8/year.  

Long on a rookie contract followed by Roullier means we’ve invested at the position, just not with cap.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I know you know this, but...

If we didn’t have Roullier and had re-signed Long, we might be paying our C in the neighborhood of 8/year.  

Long on a rookie contract followed by Roullier means we’ve invested at the position, just not with cap.  

Never thought Long was that good, and the jury still out on Roullier who was a 6th round pick... So yes we have invested something in it.. And again was just something that stood out to me glancing over the numbers.

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Our biggest problem running the ball is really about the way we run and not having WR/TEs who set the edges.

We create no holes on inside runs and I don't believe that has much to do with WR's and TE's blocking, even if a CB or safety crashed the line and made a tackle on an inside run it would still be a 3 or 4 yard gain if there was an initial hole for the RB.

Our RB's often get hit at the LOS or in the backfield.

That's what I've seen for a couple years now.

44 minutes ago, dyst said:

Regarding Malik, I can't believe these guys come into the league after all that hard work, about to earn a paycheck and still decide to jump on an ATV or bike.

I don't know. Many NFL players do all sorts of out door activities which probably helps them relax a bit. Heard Wentz bought a bunch of land outside of Philly where he can hunt. If he messed up his throwing hand like JPP leading up to his first game many would have said he shouldn't have been doing that, but accidents happen, even if you are an NFL athlete. 

I do think there are exceptions. For example Big Ben was doing tricks on a motorcycle and got hurt while there was a specific part of his contract which said he's to stay away from bikes. 

26 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

We still have 17 million in cap space and another 3.5 if/when we cut McClain.

That means we could get a top FA with that money, its a shame we arent using it, especially with the likes of Hankins and Reid available.

need money to resign Scherff, Smith, and possibly Crowder after the season.  We picked up Scherffs option but I'm sure Hankins and Reid want decent tenure on the deal.  Not to mention setting aside money for possible free agent injury subs as well as rookie contracts.  

The cap space is deceptive though.  Half of what we have is for signing our draft picks and also for keeping a reserve to sign players later in the season as situations occur such as we had last year with half the roster getting injured.  If you then assume we have 10m left that could get you a top FA but we are set to be hard against the cap next year and we have a number of our own players due extensions soon.  The smart thing might be to save the money to roll over for next year and buy us some breathing room or just go ahead and work out LTDs with the likes of Scherff now.

Reid is interesting but he was not a stud player and has struggled with injuries so I don't see him as an upgrade over the guys already on the roster.  Hankins is still a player it would be very nice to bring in but there is no indication as yet that his price is coming down and so I am good with the FO choosing not to blink in this negotiation. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

We create no holes on inside runs and I don't believe that has much to do with WR's and TE's blocking, even if a CB or safety crashed the line and made a tackle on an inside run it would still be a 3 or 4 yard gain if there was an initial hole for the RB.

Our RB's often get hit at the LOS or in the backfield.

That's what I've seen for a couple years now.

Disagree. Holes are there on a lot of plays, Kelly and perine lack good vision. OL not elite at run block but they are good. What's more likely, one of the best OL in football can't run block well and hardly ever holes, or 2 below average backs have poor vision? Plus CT does just fine running it so he's further proof OL is at least decent at run blocking.

7 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Disagree. Holes are there on a lot of plays, Kelly and perine lack good vision. OL not elite at run block but they are good. What's more likely, one of the best OL in football can't run block well and hardly ever holes, or 2 below average backs have poor vision? Plus CT does just fine running it so he's further proof OL is at least decent at run blocking.

I hope you're right, I just have my doubts.

4 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

Vision, yes, but also burst, IMO.  

I’ve said before that I think it’s 4 different aspects that negatively affect our ground game, - 1) the oline allowing quick pressure at times, 2) the backs lacking certain attributes, 3) the poor outside blocking (TEs mostly, but also receivers), and 4) the coaching (scheme, play call, dedication to the run, etc.).  

The faster a back hits the hole on inside runs, the less likely the TE’s man makes the tackle.  Better blocking outside leads to more opportunities to change up between inside and outside runs. The better the oline, the easier it is for that backs to reach the secondary.    Etc, etc.

In my mind, we could definitely use better run blocking from our oline, but I think the more impactful changes will come from better vision and burst from our starting back, and better inline TE blocking.  Just my opinion of course.  

I really wonder how much of our running game was based on tell tales like a players stance. I remember Cousins and Compton going back and forth in training camp changing calls. I remember wondering if Compton was getting it right or what was really going on. Hopefully the fact that Smith can run gives the defense more to focus on so they can't just put 8 men towards stopping the rb. 

11 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

I have seen  the middle of the online get pushed back way too frequently. Even Scherff gets blown up too often. Long and Lavauo were really bad at times. Jury is still out on Chase but seems like he should be an improvement.

Going into the offseason, the main areas I hoped we’d address were WR, ILB DL, LG, RB, slot corner and OLB.  Draft may cover some of those spots of course, though I would say going into it with glaring needs is more apt to cause problems.  

I’d say we filled WR and ILB with competent starters, OLB depth decently, and underwhelming guys at DL/OL/sot corner (Taylor/Bergstrom/Scandrick).  

With this RB crop, I’m fine that we waited for the draft.  The draft is also deep at DT, so that could work out as well.  

Obviously, with more money, we could have answered several of those spots in a much better manner (Richardson/Hankins, Mathieu, Galette, for example), but I think the FO has done a decent job of setting themselves up for the draft.  

They’ve also set themselves up beyond this year due to the number of guys signed through next year at least.  So I have to give them some credit here.  Personally, I’d have taken a stud DT and rolled with Vigil/Spaight at ILB over Brown and no DT addition, but I guess we’ll see what the draft and the rest of FA brings.  

Hard for me to give them a good grade as of now because our biggest weaknesses - running the ball and stopping the run - haven’t really been addressed (beyond hoping for better health).  I’ll give them a passing grade so far though.  

They’ve got a shot at legitimately improving the team with impact players at RB, DT and OL, and adding depth (and potential future starters) at corner, TE, and OLB.  

Honestly, it was hard to be this positive considering I’m so frustrated that we lost Fuller and failed to land a good Dlineman.  

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

https://twitter.com/bigtimehank?lang=en

I like Hankins twitter feed. Seems like he is about family (even though I dont think he has any kids), football and living a normal life. 

Starting to get on that "go get Hank" bandwagon. His price has to be somewhat in reach now. 

IF we sign him, I really don't want a one year rental. We're either building a team or we're not. I get the salary cap restrictions and future tough choices, but this is where Schaeffer shines. There's no sense in having to go down this road yet again next year.

49 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

IF we sign him, I really don't want a one year rental. We're either building a team or we're not. I get the salary cap restrictions and future tough choices, but this is where Schaeffer shines. There's no sense in having to go down this road yet again next year.

I’m with you in that a multi-year deal seems the wiser choice (particularly so we don’t find ourselves in th same position next year, as you said), but... one of the big things signing Hankins does is open up the draft options, right?  

Well, if we still wind up drafting a DL and they show well, moving on from Hankins next year might make sense financially.  

But yes, my order of preference is

1) sign Hankins to a 3 year deal

2) sign him to a 1 year deal before the draft

3) sign him for 1 year after the draft

The difference between 2 and 3 mainly coming down to financial leverage and draft flexibility.  

How is Kenny Vaccaro still available?  He's only 27 and is more of a hybrid type saftey.  I know he had the drug suspension, so maybe there is something looming with him?  If not, we really should kick the tires.  Might be able to get a player in his prime at a bargin price.

Vaccaro has not been the same since his knee injury and was a complete liability this past season.  Not sure if he is fit now but he ended last season on IR with a torn groin and even before that happened it was clear the Saints had no intention of bringing him back.  I don't see that he would be an upgrade for us at this point and so better to invest our resources elsewhere.

Yes, he was less effective, but was it due to the fact that he was still recovering from his injury.  We have seen time and time again players needing a full year to recover before they look like their old selves.  Could be a bargain depth signing.  If we get killed from injuries again, we'll need all the depth we can get.

The more I digest the draft the more I am digging the idea of Hankins.  IMO best player available at 13 isn't going to be a D lineman and ditto for pick 44 but possible at 44.  Hankins would open up the draft IMO where you can draft really any position (as long as a RB is in that mix) without any angst. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:
More

jw gravley Retweeted Robert Henson

For people asking about Johnathan Hankins ... #Redskins

jw gravley added,

Robert HensonVerified account @Mr_Henson51
Replying to @gravleyonair
Hankins is making a decision next week

Seems to be a decision of Jets vs Redskins.

Archived