Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

11 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Where are you gonna find a pro bowl QB to replace Cousins right now? 

Glass half empty answer. Why do we need a pro bowl QB to go 8-8?

I'd like Cousins back, but he isn't THE answer. He's just a good piece of the puzzle. Probably a corner piece. Clearly though, he isn't the difference between mediocre and great. Maybe he's the difference between poor and mediocre or mediocre and good, but while I'd love to have a pro bowl qb and I think Cousins is borderline pro bowl caliber... that and a dollar gets us seventy-five cents.

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

Exactly, we need someone how can just be average. 

We need to fire every single one of our scouts/front office personnel if they can't even find an average QB in the draft.  If you look at all the QB names out there, half of the teams have QB's that are good enough.  Is it hard to find a QB how can be in the 10-20 range?  How much will we lose in terms of wins/losses?

Looks like ESPN updated their QB rankings.  Cousins right now is sitting at 15.  Josh Mccown is at 14.  

How about someone like  a Josh Mccown?  We will be fine.  How much is Cousins better than Mccown?  

I'd be curious about Teddy Bridgewater actually. Vikings have a choice between Case and Bridgewater. If we can't get Cousins to sign a LTD that would be where I'd go next.

34 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Special kind of stupid with this fan base..What part of you cant get a good QB for under 20+mil don't you understand? If they let Cousins go they might as well blow the whole team up and let everyone with a high salary go..This team will be very bad without Cousins..What does it matter at this point if they give Cousins a LTD and he fails? So what they would be stuck for a few years..If it gets that bad they would be starting completely over anyways due to the age of the core pieces already in place..

Calling someone stupid because they dont agree with you makes you look well....stupid. Breaking the bank for Cousins WILL have an effect on how you can build the rest of the team. I want Cousins back. But after his performance during the past 5 weeks I am not so sure he is worth making the highest paid player in NFL history either. And that is what it is going to take to sign him. Even if they transition tag him he could just run into Redskins Park and sign that 28 million deal. He then would be a UFA in 2019 as the Skins cannot tag him at all that year simply because of the financials.Cousins holds all of the power in this and if he doesnt want to be here he will be gone.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Calling someone stupid because they dont agree with you makes you look well....stupid. Breaking the bank for Cousins WILL have an effect on how you can build the rest of the team. I want Cousins back. But after his performance during the past 5 weeks I am not so sure he is worth making the highest paid player in NFL history either. And that is what it is going to take to sign him. Even if they transition tag him he could just run into Redskins Park and sign that 28 million deal. He then would be a UFA in 2019 as the Skins cannot tag him at all that year simply because of the financials.Cousins holds all of the power in this and if he doesnt want to be here he will be gone.

Why does everyone assume it's gonna take more than 25mil a year to sign him to a LTD?

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Glass half empty answer. Why do we need a pro bowl QB to go 8-8?

I'd like Cousins back, but he isn't THE answer. He's just a good piece of the puzzle. Probably a corner piece. Clearly though, he isn't the difference between mediocre and great. Maybe he's the difference between poor and mediocre or mediocre and good, but while I'd love to have a pro bowl qb and I think Cousins is borderline pro bowl caliber... that and a dollar gets us seventy-five cents.

I'd be curious about Teddy Bridgewater actually. Vikings have a choice between Case and Bridgewater. If we can't get Cousins to sign a LTD that would be where I'd go next.

I agree with you. There will be options on the market this year. And it is a deep draft. I wouldnt even hate drafting a young guy and signing someone like Bradford for a couple of seasons in all honesty. He can give you 8-8 at half the price of Cousins.

2 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

4-2; 3-3; 1-5 vs the division the last 3 years.

I am not sure why anyone of us would expect the trend to change with Kirk coming back 

IMO, the record in the division is not a total reflection of the QB.  It's a team sport.  He's had bad games against the NFC East, but not all of those games are on him.  

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yep, and if they get rid of Case Keenum, he would  be a good choice as well.

16 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

4-2; 3-3; 1-5 vs the division the last 3 years.

I am not sure why anyone of us would expect the trend to change with Kirk coming back 

It's a weird point IMO.  The case here Kirk is regressing each season?

Kirk statistically has been borderline elite for 2 3/4 seasons.  I was at the game which ended up being a game changer for Kirk and the offense and that was losing Chris Thompson.  That changed the offense from having just one dangerous weapon to having zero weapons.  At that moment in time, Kirk's stats were very good.  It's not been the same since.  If people want to make the case that Kirk and the offense need at least ONE dangerous  weapon as if that's a character flaw for a QB -- that point has some merit.  But EVERY QB needs some playmakers.  

People talking as if Rodgers and Brady don't need them.  Ridiculous.   The Pats traded their first round pick to land B. Cooks.  The Packers are going nuts to lock in THREE Wrs.  All three of them would be #1 receivers here. 

Packers are devoting $35.775M of 2018 salary cap space to 3 WRs (Davante Adams-$10,537,500, Randall Cobb-$12,718,750 & Jordy Nelson-$12,518,750).

The Rams and the 49ers were supposedly at the top of the list of teams who would pursue Cousins. With Geoff and Garaoppolo having the year they are having, do you guys think those teams would still pursue Cousins? If your answer is no, then you have to ask yourself why. If Cousins is as good as some make him out to be, you'd think both of these teams would still try to sign him.

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

The Rams and the 49ers were supposedly at the top of the list of teams who would pursue Cousins. With Geoff and Garaoppolo having the year they are having, do you guys think those teams would still pursue Cousins? If your answer is no, then you have to ask yourself why. If Cousins is as good as some make him out to be, you'd think both of these teams would still try to sign him.

Since when were the Rams interested in Cousins? The 49ers traded a high 2nd round pick so of course there not interested now..The jags and Broncos will probably be interested though..

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

Cost is a big reason. Isn't Goff still only in the second year of his contract?  Also think Jimmy G can likely be had for SF cheaper than Kirk, but I'm still wondering about the possibility of a trade to swap JG and KC, as remote as it seems to be with JG playing well. 

On 12/28/2017 at 1:54 AM, SkinsFTW said:

Next thing we'll have college QB's refusing to show up if we draft them.

Then maybe the light bulb will click on for some.

Who can blame them?

Bad news amigo, that one's happened already.. ashamed0003.gif

Redskins rookie QB Connor Halliday retires before first practice

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-rookie-qb-connor-halliday-retires-before-first-practice/

1 hour ago, redskins59 said:

Is it really that difficult to draft  a QB who will be just as productive?  

You mean for a competent team, or for the Redskins?

Either way the answers are YES and **** YES. 

Cousins performance today left a really bad taste in the mouths of Skins fans.  He finished today 20 of 37 with no touchdowns and 3 interception.  For the year the Wash Post reported he had 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.  So if you are the General Manager, how do you evaluate his overall performance for this year and decide if he can make a huge difference in making this team better or if he is just a major piece of the total team rebuild that is needed?  All year long I have been in KC's corner, but today's game really has me thinking about the future of our team.  If Cousin's leaves he will get his money from another team, so he is set whether he stays in Washington or whether he leaves.  He has to understand if he stays, he cannot take up 35-40% of our annual salary cap.  Why? Because we have so many other holes on this team that need fixing.  Just saw an online message from Niles Paul and he thinks he will not be invited back.  If I am Cousins, I want a team that already has a good defense and an offensive line that can protect me.  To me that sounds like the Denver Broncos.  The only positive for today was the fact the Eagles scored zero points today and their delusional fan base still thinks they are going to the Super Bowl without Carson Wentz starting as their quarterback.

1 hour ago, Garcon More Wine said:

my favorite part of the "no cousins" group is literally ive yet to hear a viable solution.  so cousins walks, fine.  what are we doing?  just drafting a rookie and rolling him out there?  or are we back on the retread market for a josh mcown or case keenum (without minnys defense)?  

theres 3 solutions:

1. sign kirk to 30 per over 5 years, get some stability at QB, still have 25-30 in cap space to shore up WR and defense in 2018, which is even higher in 2019 when normans contract goes away.

2. let kirk walk, draft a high first round QB (meaning we'll probably have to trade picks to do this, and you assume you trust our front office to make this pick), and have gobs of cap space that we wont use, ensuring 2018 is a 100% rebuilding year.

3. let kirk walk, sign a retread scrub QB and continue building the team and accumulating cap space (why, i dont know), and probably draft a QB somewhere not first round and bank on them being.....cousins lol.

which one of these do some of you really want?  

30mill...we'd have to be out our rabbit assed minds to do that ****. I don't even believe a great person like KC would feel comfortable making that much more than everyone else on the team.

Let Gruden get his Qb. He's developed Dalton and Kirk, let's see what he can do with a better talent.

1 hour ago, bh32 said:

Why does everyone assume it's gonna take more than 25mil a year to sign him to a LTD?

Because it will cost us at least $28M to transition tag him or $34M to franchise tag him. Why would he take less than that on a per year knowing he can bank these amounts and be a free agent at the end of the 2018 season.

My gut feeling is we just saw Cousins last game as a Redskin.

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

The only positive for today was the fact the Eagles scored zero points today and their delusional fan base still thinks they are going to the Super Bowl without Carson Wentz starting as their quarterback.

Counterpoint though is the Eagles performance the last two weeks shows just how critical it is to have a QB. No matter how strong the supporting cast with mediocre QB play you have almost no shot to compete.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Because it will cost us at least $28M to transition tag him or $34M to franchise tag him. Why would he take less than that on a per year knowing he can bank these amounts and be a free agent at the end of the 2018 season.

My gut feeling is we just saw Cousins last game as a Redskin.

The idea that it has to be the tag figure does have competing theories to it, too.   A narrative that I've heard from multiple beat guys covering the story is there is at least a decent chance that Kirk would take less than the tag figure if the amount in fully guaranteed money is high. 

I guess we won't know though until it plays out. 

24 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Let Gruden get his Qb. He's developed Dalton and Kirk, let's see what he can do with a better talent.

According to Mike Jones and Finlay, Jay wants Kirk to be that guy.  Jay has said multiple times that Kirk hasn't even reached his potential yet.   One talking head type said if they start over with a new QB and they go 6-10 or worse it would likely be the end for Jay -- so Jay likely really really wants Kirk back.  Who knows.  But I suspect Jay wants Kirk back.

And, the idea that Jay wants to get someone else instead to develop is likely a fantasy.   But lets run with it for argument's sake -- who is the more talented guy there for the offing that you are excited about?  The more talented dude that Jay would be excited to develop?

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Hmm... that seems like a bit more than I'd want to pay.

Well Bruce Allen might not have a problem with it if that's what the franchise tag is in a couple years.

"Sorry Kirk, we're not going to offer you 100Mil guaranteed but we'll gladly pay you 200Mil for 5 years on franchise tags."

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that it has to be the tag figure does have competing theories to it, too.   A narrative that I've heard from multiple beat guys covering the story is there is at least a decent chance that Kirk would take less than the tag figure if the amount in fully guaranteed money is high. 

I guess we won't know though until it plays out. 

Yeah that’s fair. Actually the up front and guaranteed money is really more important than the per year average.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Cost is a big reason. Isn't Goff still only in the second year of his contract?  Also think Jimmy G can likely be had for SF cheaper than Kirk, but I'm still wondering about the possibility of a trade to swap JG and KC, as remote as it seems to be with JG playing well. 

Theyre not trading Jimmy GQ. That ship sailed 

Archived