Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

For those of you who aren't interested in paying Cousins, imagine that Kirk walks and goes to Dallas where he wins Super Bowls and dominates Washington completely.  The media pours salt on the wounds for a decade rehashing the 2012 draft debacle except the RGIII bust is becomes the merely a background story in Snyder's real screw up letting Cousins, a Super Bowl-winning future HOF QB slip out of his hands to Dallas where he wins big.  

OMG! You're absolutely right! We HAVE TO sign him! We CAN'T let this happen! Sign him now!

But wait. Now, I'm imagining we do re-sign him and he contracts the ebola virus and infects the rest of the Redskins' team with it! It destroys all out best players and scares Free Agents and coaches away from our team. It becomes the worst thing that ever happened to our franchise. Now, I'm sure we SHOULDN'T sign him! DON'T! Not under any circumstances!

I don't know. I'm so conflicted. I can't decide which thing I can imagine I am more afraid of. It's confusing.

It almost feels like.... now, bear with me, because this is going to seem really crazy..... but it almost seems like maybe, just maybe, decisions shouldn't be based on ludicrous hypotheticals. Is that just nuts? Probably, right?

Now even Casserly is on NFLN calling out our FO for not signing Cousins yet. He said Cousins has proven them wrong 3 times now, has all the leverage, has put up 4000 yards again throwing to who? He's throwing to guys who wouldn't even be on other teams 53 man roster, besides Crowder who might be a 3 or a 4 somewhere.

How does Dan Snyder consistently employ the biggest idiots the NFL has ever seen and still some want to fool themselves into believing that "ALL HE WANTS TO DO IS WIN" :rofl89:

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

Damn :ols:  thanks!

Yeah, March 6 is the deadline for designating any player on a tag. 

So, effectively the player's fate is know at 4pm on March 6. If not tagged prior, his contract will expire and he'll be unrestricted. 

The actual contract termination date is 4pm on March 14 which is the end of 2017 league year and the start of the 2018 league year and start of FA. 

Whew. :rofl89:

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

OMG! You're absolutely right! We HAVE TO sign him! We CAN'T let this happen! Sign him now!

But wait. Now, I'm imagining we do re-sign him and he contracts the ebola virus and infects the rest of the Redskins' team with it! It destroys all out best players and scares Free Agents and coaches away from our team. It becomes the worst thing that ever happened to our franchise. Now, I'm sure we SHOULDN'T sign him! DON'T! Not under any circumstances!

I don't know. I'm so conflicted. I can't decide which thing I can imagine I am more afraid of. It's confusing.

It almost feels like.... now, bear with me, because this is going to seem really crazy..... but it almost seems like maybe, just maybe, decisions shouldn't be based on ludicrous hypotheticals. Is that just nuts? Probably, right?

This is the kind of crap you get on the Jets forum. ?

On 12/31/2017 at 8:06 PM, TheShredSkinz said:

30mill...we'd have to be out our rabbit assed minds to do that ****. I don't even believe a great person like KC would feel comfortable making that much more than everyone else on the team.

Let Gruden get his Qb. He's developed Dalton and Kirk, let's see what he can do with a better talent.

this is what QBs cost.  matt stafford made 27 mil this year and missed the playoffs.  actually of the top 12 highest paid QBs in the NFL, only 2 made the post season (brees and big ben).  QBs cost a fortune, doesnt matter if they arent elite or amazing, even the really solid ones (like kirk is) cost a lot of money.

it is what it is.  sadly skins fans have zero concept of QB market because the last QB extension we gave to a player was in 1992.

we havent signed a QB to a real (and by real i mean not the mcnabb joke) contract extension since rypien in 1992, which was 26 years ago.  and you wonder why some of us want to keep kirk lol.

4 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

He doesn't want to win. He wants to have a good time. He wants players to be his buddy. He wants adoration from the fans. He wants to feel like a big man with a big stage role in the theater of life. 

So true.  He's a fan of being the owner of the Washington Redskins more than the team itself.

As long as the team does well enough so that fans think there's hope the next year; that's enough to keep Dan happy. Jay's record the last 3 years have been perfect. We have been mediocre, Convince the fans, we are just a couple of players away. This year, they have the injury excuse. Now, Dan can fire up Snyder 1 and go sign some big sexy free agent or two.  Draft someone flashy with our first round pick.  Fans will eat it up. If Kirk or some decent free agent is our QB; you will see fans say 11-12 wins baby. We will be beasts of the east.  

3 hours ago, Garcon More Wine said:

this is what QBs cost.  matt stafford made 27 mil this year and missed the playoffs.  actually of the top 12 highest paid QBs in the NFL, only 2 made the post season (brees and big ben).  QBs cost a fortune, doesnt matter if they arent elite or amazing, even the really solid ones (like kirk is) cost a lot of money.

it is what it is.  sadly skins fans have zero concept of QB market because the last QB extension we gave to a player was in 1992.

we havent signed a QB to a real (and by real i mean not the mcnabb joke) contract extension since rypien in 1992, which was 26 years ago.  and you wonder why some of us want to keep kirk lol.

The market for a starting QB dictates they make 25 million minimum. 

What do you think Jimmy Garapolo is going to make? 5-0 since he became the Niners starter. Lifting a 1-10 to finish 6-10.

Don't you think Aaron Rodgers who is underpaid now at $22 million a year I think; going to be asking for a nice raise?

Kirk should be asking for $30 million/ year and probably ends up getting something between $25 and $30 million/ year.  His performance with us may not have earned that but his performance here is good enough hat someone will give him that.

Frankly, he should sign elsewhere & I hope he wins a couple of Superbowls. That would be the ultimate insult to Dan Snyder and it also could be the thing that breaks fanbase and the Redskins forever.  It's one thing to see other players fail here and have success elsewhere.  To have the most important position on the team being in question is stupid. We let that QB sign elsewhere and we still struggle and he ends up winning the big prize?  This fanbase would never recover from that. That would be even worse than the end of the Spurrier and Zorn eras.

11 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Bruce is definitely driving the train now and I do believe there was tension, but it wasn't just with Bruce, Scott M seemed frustrated with Kirks agent as well.

I know all about Scot's part of it, too at least the public part.  The public part is really all over the place.  But the bottom line with Scot is he's the dude who on the record said Kirk is a pro-bowl type player in his 980 interview, also said he's a top 10 QB, also said not long ago you have to lock in Kirk this off season in a LTD.  I was OK with how they handled Kirk last off season and even defended Bruce UNTIL they didn't sign him in July -- then he lost me.  

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He's a fan of being the owner of the Washington Redskins more than the team itself.

Yeah I agree. I think you tapped something I was trying to imply there. 

I think in his daydreams he wishes for all the accolades and the adulation that comes with winning, but is unable to do the fundamental dirty work and the grunt work to lay the foundation which leads to the winning in the first place. 

I also imagine that there must be a moment of complacency, for any person, if you were one of only 32 people on the planet, as an owner in a special league, where revenue sharing and the system itself is set up such that no one team can drift totally away into the abyss, even if they were horrible at the business that they do. 

That the platform for said particular owner still remains regardless of how inept or dysfunctional the organization may be, barring any illegal activity which would strip ownership. That's surely a bit of a God trip, if I think about it, honestly. 

So, clearly Snyder has moved into other markets than just football, himself. And the Redskins organization has other outreaches than just the football team itself, I guess mostly in media, but also philanthropic, supposedly. And so from that platform Snyder has been able to distance himself from the wins and losses. I imagine in his mind he can make a clear distinction between entertaining guests at his stadium, making sure the courvoisier and crown are flowing, versus the functionality of the football team itself. 

He might not be the same Dan that sat next to Vinny and stood up and shouted obscenities at the referees from his private club box anymore. But just how different can any one person become when the system is set up for ... complacency?

I guess I feel comforted in the knowledge that the dream of winning the SuperBowl, for a vagabond, is the same dream for Snyder, and both are probably just as equally likely to win one themselves too. 

28 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

This cousin's saga needs sorting asas, to drag this on for 3 months is no good for the Redskins. Sign cousin's to a LTD or let him go, but just get it sorted now.

HTTR 

I agree. The FO should come out as strong and hard as they can. If Cousins' side doesn't want to dance then so be it, but let Kirk know that he's priority number one and that they're serious. I think if they come out with a "reasonable opening contract offer" this thing goes to hell quickly. Cousins is not interested in being reasonable. He doesn't want to be loved. He MAY want to get swept off his feet.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think we're kidding ourselves to expect any movement on this anytime soon.  For all we know, Kirk may be using the fan q&a on Friday as his platform to explain that he's going to test the waters of free agency if given the opportunity.

I agree with you, but I think the Redskins should try. They should use a zero blitz mentality and go all in. 

I do think it's likely that Cousins wants to test the waters. He very well may prefer to play elsewhere. The Redskins, if they want him, shouldn't wait. Last year, both sides seemed reconciled to the tag and neither put forth a very honest effort. If they want him... treat him like its fourth down with the playoffs on the line (Then again, given that we're talking about the Redskins maybe they shouldn't do that)

Oh, I agree with you 100%.  I've said all along that this is more about Bruce needing to show some humility than it is about money.  Express desire to get a deal done with a guy coming off one of his worst performances as a pro.  Not only express that desire but build the guy up, let him know that you are well aware he needs more, and <this> is the plan to get there.  I just don't expect Bruce to ever show some humility about this situation.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know all about Scot's part of it, too at least the public part.  The public part is really all over the place.  But the bottom line with Scot is he's the dude who on the record said Kirk is a pro-bowl type player in his 980 interview, also said he's a top 10 QB, also said not long ago you have to lock in Kirk this off season in a LTD.  I was OK with how they handled Kirk last off season and even defended Bruce UNTIL they didn't sign him in July -- then he lost me.  

I know but he's contradicting himself, when he was part of the team in May 2017 he said Kirk was at his ceiling and in July 2017 the report from Jason Cole said he didn't feel comfortable paying him much more than $20M per year, now that he's not tied to any team he says a lot of things but doesn't have to be accountable for them.

What changed, this was all said during the offseason last year.

Scot wanted to get Kirk signed to a multi-year deal the moment he was named the starter (I think around $13M). Dan and Bruce said no.

Per reports, Scot was not comfortable committing to a LTD worth $20+ per year, because "it's not all about the qb. It's about the 53".

According to Jason Cole (who is known to be close to Scot), one of the reasons Scot was let go, was due to his wanting to trade Kirk, sign a vet and draft a QB last off-season

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I agree with you, but I think the Redskins should try. They should use a zero blitz mentality and go all in. 

I do think it's likely that Cousins wants to test the waters. He very well may prefer to play elsewhere. The Redskins, if they want him, shouldn't wait. Last year, both sides seemed reconciled to the tag and neither put forth a very honest effort. If they want him... treat him like its fourth down with the playoffs on the line (Then again, given that we're talking about the Redskins maybe they shouldn't do that)

It's in Kirk's best interest to let the team make a decision on tag/no tag before he commits to anything. Unless he's 100% sold on being a Redskin long term and doesn't want to use the leverage he's been building over the years this process won't be too quick.

I think Former GMSM's desire to sign Kirk to a LTD is not as definite as some on this board want to make it out to be. I think the reason he wanted to sign him initially was because he could get him at a good price, perhaps even underpay his value.  I think he was a savvy enough talent scout to realize what Cousins ceiling might be so he wanted to lock him up quick before his price tag got ridiculous.  GMSM always struck me as a "get them and sign them at a certain value" type of team builder. 

Purely hypothetically speaking, if GMSM would have never been fired, yet the front office would have remained unable to sign Kirk these past two seasons (for whatever reasons), and we were still here in the same situation but with GMSM? I am not so sure he would have been willing to throw a ton of money at Kirk to keep him.  I really believe that GMSM puts a number value on players and if their price tag out grows what he sees as their value, he isn't going to turn into Mr. Money Bags unless he views the player as being of a specific caliber.   It always felt to me GMSM's strategy with Kirk was to get him signed quick to avoid having to pay a market value contract.

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

This cousin's saga needs sorting asas, to drag this on for 3 months is no good for the Redskins. Sign cousin's to a LTD or let him go, but just get it sorted now.

HTTR 

Deals of this size just don't get 'sorted now'. Deadlines drive decisions and both sides will use whatever leverage they have - which in the Redskins case is not that much. No sense in Kirks side doing anything quickly unless the Redskins offer something extraordinary. Both sides might well want to see what the open market values Cousins at which for the Redskins would mean using the non exclusive franchise tag if they want to get something of value if they allow him to walk.

In any case I just don't see this being resolved before free agency and probably close to the draft.

Key dates are 

Franchise tags declared by March 6.

Free agency begins March 14

NFL Draft April 26

If I'm in the Redskins front office (and frankly I couldn't do much worse than the current incumbent) I want a clear idea of whats happening with Cousins before the draft takes place. So something around the 20th April would be my internal deadline. Any club signing Cousins probably wants it done before the draft as well. So my prediction is this gets wrapped up one way or another mid April unless the Redskins opt to use the non exclusive tag again.

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

I know but he's contradicting himself, when he was part of the team in May 2017 he said Kirk was at his ceiling and in July 2017 the report from Jason Cole said he didn't feel comfortable paying him much more than $20M per year, now that he's not tied to any team he says a lot of things but doesn't have to be accountable for them.

What changed, this was all said during the offseason last year.

He said while he was here, Kirk is a pro bowl caliber QB.   And he also said you can't win in the league without a QB.  But I agree he's said things that are all over the map here.  I don't recall him being specific where he was quoted about $20 million per year with Cole.   Do you have that link?

When he left he said the FO and he included himself blew it/made mistakes with the Kirk contract.  Kirk's a top 10 QB.  And at the point the Redskins have to get a LTD done  So Scot's thing wasn't at the end to stubbornly insist they've handled it well and was advocating to double down on that approach.

Regardless, Scot wasn't the guy negotiating with Kirk in 2017.  I said it back in early 2017, if Scot is leading the contract mishaps I would have a beef with him -- I also said (while I disagree personally) that I could understand a deal not worked out to that point but I couldn't understand them not getting a deal done in July.  

Archived