Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

My guess is its 2017 all over again.  The same narrative, same drill.  He gets tagged.  Bruce talks optimistically about how they will get a LTC done after the tag.    Bruce/Dan can't help themselves by trying to stubbornly win the deal all Spring because they don't want to look like boobs to their peers in the NFL.    Kirk's agent easily outsmarts them again because Dan/Bruce are boobs.  And Kirk makes 34 million and hits FA next year.

After they don't secure Kirk to a LTC, Bruce tries to sell to the beat reporters that they still have an opportunity to negotiate with Kirk before FA in 2019.   

The only twist I see this year is I think they draft a QB.   They do it to see if that placates the fans and whether that QB shows promise in the preseason.  They see if they can adopt the SD approach of hey Brees is gone but we got Rivers.  If Doug is the dude scouting these QBs, I don't expect much.  Hopefully, its Jay.

This whole narrative to me is an absolute debacle.  And I agree with what Chris Russell said on air the other day which is this will ultimately get Bruce fired when the narrative is fully played out.   However, i don't think it plays out until 2019.

I honestly don't have a clue what will happen.  What I do know is I don't want to see another 1-year tag.  That plan for a third year is the textbook definition of crazy. 

I don't think we will see the best Kirk Cousins until after he signs an LTD with the Redskins or another team.  I'm sure he loves the money but this year-to-year approach has to take an emotional toll on him and also grates on his confidence at least a little bit.

Is it true he's not getting along with his receivers?..Maybe Kirk is not a likeable guy..Who the heck are we to know what the redskins will do?...it starts with does Kirk realy wanna be a Washington Redskin?..if the skins don't want him and think they can get better qb play else where we'll than there ****ed in the head..I'll tell ya this if it gets ugly and Kirk is else where in 0'18 than that's it I'm done I turn in my fan card, box all my gear up and find different hobbies...I don't know Kirk cousins..maybe out side of Trent no one can realy stand the guy for what ever reason...but if Kirk is real likable and everyone gets along with him than I don't see the issue..I don't see why the skins can't lock him down..if Kirk's agent sits down with skins brass and says look Kirk don't wanna be here any more..there's nothing the skins can do but let him walk..which would show the incompetence in the organization and just make us look that more ****tier...I would still watch football to watch certain players and to watch old school rivalry games..(steelers,Bengals Monday night)..but that's it, completely done with the skins..definitely until Snyder sale's the team...he's a fan like me, I get it..I think he has improved and only wants what's best for the team but needs to pull his head out of his ass and start doing opposite of what he's doing now apparently cause it ain't working.

7 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Is it true he's not getting along with his receivers?..Maybe Kirk is not a likeable guy..Who the heck are we to know what the redskins will do?...it starts with does Kirk realy wanna be a Washington Redskin?..if the skins don't want him and think they can get better qb play else where we'll than there ****ed in the head..I'll tell ya this if it gets ugly and Kirk is else where in 0'18 than that's it I'm done I turn in my fan card, box all my gear up and find different hobbies...I don't know Kirk cousins..maybe out side of Trent no one can realy stand the guy for what ever reason...but if Kirk is real likable and everyone gets along with him than I don't see the issue..I don't see why the skins can't lock him down..if Kirk's agent sits down with skins brass and says look Kirk don't wanna be here any more..there's nothing the skins can do but let him walk..which would show the incompetence in the organization and just make us look that more ****tier...I would still watch football to watch certain players and to watch old school rivalry games..(steelers,Bengals Monday night)..but that's it, completely done with the skins..definitely until Snyder sale's the team...he's a fan like me, I get it..I think he has improved and only wants what's best for the team but needs to pull his head out of his ass and start doing opposite of what he's doing now apparently cause it ain't working.

I am with you, it will be the end of the line for me also if it is over I am over it.

Bruce Allen will find a way to mess this up.  He will also draft a QB in the first round when the Redskins should be drafting C,G,NT or maybe even Safety.  There are so many holes to fill and simply not enough draft selections in the first 5 rounds.  Not only that I don't believe that this GM setup is capable finding talent in the later rounds anyway.

I've always championed the cause of signing Cousins to a LTD, but I no longer see the point.  Cousins, Garcon, Jackson, Reed and Crowder had something really good going. Diverse talents and lots of chemistry.  There is still some potential talent - I haven't given up on Crowder or Doctson - but its a work in progress.  If it will take a couple years to gel, Crowder and Doctson might as well gel with a young QB on the rookie salary schedule.  There are just too many other things that need to be addressed, and there is no point in spending top dollar on a one year QB contract other than promoting the delusion that we are right at the brink of success.  We're a solid 8-8 team when we're healthy. and without Cousins we're a solid 4-12 team.  I really don't see the difference between being the third or fourth best team in the NFCE.

27 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Bruce Allen will find a way to mess this up.  He will also draft a QB in the first round when the Redskins should be drafting C,G,NT or maybe even Safety.  There are so many holes to fill and simply not enough draft selections in the first 5 rounds.  Not only that I don't believe that this GM setup is capable finding talent in the later rounds anyway.

This is a good summary for me.

I just heard a segment from Kirk just now where he sounded really pumped up about liking the attitude of the teammates/direction this season.  It's the 2nd time of late i've heard Kirk really effusive about the team.  I am guessing the big thing wrestling in his mind is:  Jay-teammates versus Bruce/Dan.

I think if Bruce/Dan go ape with nonsense when the off season starts -- Kirk will want out.  If Dan shows he can settle down and not overreact in the offseason and the FO seems normal for a change -- Kirk might want to stay -- assuming he gets a fair offer for a change from the FO.

I think he plays for the Redskins in 2018 on the Franchise Tag, and that's it. I think the Redskins will draft a QB high, and it will be a Rivers/Brees situation. I want Kirk to be here long term, I think it's whats best for the franchise, but I just don't think either of them want that. I think there is zero truth to the "WR's don't like Kirk" report and I read almost nothing into that other than our front office trying to leak something and sway opinion. I have zero faith in the front office, and I think that's the route we go. 

If it were me, knowing Kirk doesn't want to be here (which is my assumption), I'd sign him to the non exclusive Franchise Tag, let him negotiate with other teams and try to get some compensation for him. 

The whole Cousins situation makes it so hard as a Redskins fan to have hope for the future, and I think with Cousins at QB we have a lot of bright spots and really could be very competitive in the next 2-3 years, hell it could have been this year if not for all the injuries. 

1 hour ago, Cliffmark1 said:

the redskins should sign him but let him walk imo

:blink:

I think we make him a good offer for a LTD, but at this point, I'm wondering if he wants to be here given the front office questions. He was offered a baseline LTD last year, and he refused to counter or negotiate. Bruce Allen and Doug Williams (!) as our "GM" really hurt our case. There are other teams with a much more stable front office structure and much more cap space to boot. The Jags come to mind. Denver needs a QB badly, but has a very solid team otherwise, and would be an attractive location. If Roethlisberger hangs it up, Steelers would be a choice landing spot.

Sadly, I think our pathetic team squandered getting a deal done with the best QB we've had in 20 years.

EXTREMELY unlikely. The FO has botched this so badly that even I - a true Kirk supporter - don't feel great about what they'll have to pay him to keep him here. 

It's absolutely disgusting when you think about it.

Best QB since Theismann

Set multiple franchise records

Never gets injured

Character guy

Drafted in same class as RG3, hence having him succeed mitigates the effects of the RG3 bust

"Nah, let's go back to the well." 

At this point, it's more like the "bottomless abyss."

I'm convinced he doesn't want to be here, in that I'm convinced he's smart enough to know that the people above him are simply not good people. He'll have plenty of suitors this offseason. Why in the hell would he CHOOSE to play under this ownership group when he could make just as much if not more elsewhere? 

If Bruce Allen was a plastic surgeon, this would be the physical manifestation of what he's done with the Cousins deal, and to our team in general.

botched45.jpg?resize=350,200

3 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Please express your view of what the Skins will do with Cousins after the season not what you think should be done.

You need another option- No clue.

I firmly believe that Dan and Bruce don't want Cousins and are waiting for there to be other options. Well, 2018 looks like their will be options.

WE can sign Kirk to a LTD.  We can just sign him for one year again, to either a transition or franchise tag.

We let Kirk walk and sign or trade for one of the Vikings QBs:   Bradford, Keenum or Bridgewater?  

One of Vikings QB is our new long term QB?   Or maybe just our new short term QB and we draft a long term guy.

If Eli Manning is released, we sign him for a short term deal and draft our long term guy?

It depends how things play out in the offseason but I think the Skins have more options than just signing with Kirk.  So, it's hard to really answer your question right now.  I no clue, what direction they will go. I just don't feel Kirk is in our long term plans.

I think Cousins' agent wants him to be able to hit free agency regardless of whether the Skins submit a reasonable offer.  It's decision time IMO.  At this point I don't care whether the Skins get zero compensation for losing Cousins.  Make a reasonable offer - if Cousins' agent refuses to negotiate then pull the offer and move on.  They may come back and say another team is willing to offer X.  If we want to match it then that's that.  If not, we know the Skins need to acquire a veteran QB and draft a new one.

4 hours ago, FFODC said:

I thought we would sign him to a LTD, but I’m not liking the negative press being leaked about him recently.  That reeks of CYA from the Front Office.

...or Sean Mcvey having stuff leaked in order to make Kirk question his loyalty to the Redskins.  (conspiracy theory #4) Just to be safe, I think it would be prudent to line Kirks helmet with tinfoil

Honestly, I want to sign him to a LTD or let him walk. I think a one year deal puts the team back. I mean if you can't find a deal both sides can live with three years in a row then  it's never going to happen. More, if you jam all the money into a franchise or even transition level deal this year then you screw your cap.

The most important question the Redskins need to answer is how far we are from really being a contender. If they think that the injuries are a fluke and this team as composed right now is an upper level playoff team then you need Kirk. If you think we're still two or three years away from being a real playoff team then maybe you go back to roulette (as painful, miserable, and likely to end in failure as that sounds).

Personally, I can imagine both scenarios. I can imagine this team if healthy competing easily for that wild card and maybe even the division crown. On the other hand, I can see an offense with no sure answer at wide receiver and running back as well as a great tight end who effectively took a year off and think... they have no skill players at all! If the latter is true then you need to build the team. If the former is true then why waste near elite QB play with a team that can at best max out at eight wins.

Will he be resigned......

giphy.gif

It just makes me sad to think this way. I like him, but I keep thinking what is this ownership/management wanting to see that he hasn't already shown?

Washington will let him test free agency and whomever his agent lines up for the first flight that team won't let him leave.

Archived