Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902111/article/wholl-make-kirk-cousins-the-highestpaid-player-ever

...Against that backdrop, desperate teams are circling overhead, prepared to dive in and pick the Redskins clean as punishment for miscalculating the impending free agent's market and underestimating his ability.

The Browns, Jets, Bills -- and perhaps even the Jaguars, Cardinals or Giants -- will be on the prowl for a fresh face of the franchise. Broncos general manager John Elway has already resolved to fix his own quarterback quandary, Rapoport has reported, with Cousins as one of the targets in the crosshairs

...Under the modern NFL's increased demands, the value of a franchise quarterback is beyond calculable. Absent a viable replacement at the game's most imbalanced position, the Redskins would risk years of irrelevance if forced into a trade or Cousins defection. Just ask the Browns, eternally in quest of a quarterback -- as noted wordsmith Marc Sessler once quipped -- like the Earth needs our sun. Better yet, ask the 49ers, only recently delivered from pigskin purgatory when Bill Belichick gift-wrapped Jimmy Garoppolo at the trade deadline.

"Until you find your quarterback," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff has conceded, "the search for him consumes you."

If Cousins is left to twist in the wind for the next few months, it's a good bet the competition for his services will consume Elway and several other football czars around the league. The resulting sweepstakes would represent a windfall for the coveted quarterback, almost certain to result in the richest contract the NFL has seen to date.

Should that fate befall the Redskins, the Hamlet act of Allen and Snyder will have only themselves to blame for failing to heed the timely advice of their own head coach.

"Being an accomplished quarterback in the National Football League is a heck of a thing, and there aren't many of them," Jay Gruden cautioned in the summer of 2016. "If you get one, you better hang on to him, because they don't grow on trees."

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902111/article/wholl-make-kirk-cousins-the-highestpaid-player-ever

...Against that backdrop, desperate teams are circling overhead, prepared to dive in and pick the Redskins clean as punishment for miscalculating the impending free agent's market and underestimating his ability.

The Browns, Jets, Bills -- and perhaps even the Jaguars, Cardinals or Giants -- will be on the prowl for a fresh face of the franchise. Broncos general manager John Elway has already resolved to fix his own quarterback quandary, Rapoport has reported, with Cousins as one of the targets in the crosshairs

...Under the modern NFL's increased demands, the value of a franchise quarterback is beyond calculable. Absent a viable replacement at the game's most imbalanced position, the Redskins would risk years of irrelevance if forced into a trade or Cousins defection. Just ask the Browns, eternally in quest of a quarterback -- as noted wordsmith Marc Sessler once quipped -- like the Earth needs our sun. Better yet, ask the 49ers, only recently delivered from pigskin purgatory when Bill Belichick gift-wrapped Jimmy Garoppolo at the trade deadline.

"Until you find your quarterback," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff has conceded, "the search for him consumes you."

If Cousins is left to twist in the wind for the next few months, it's a good bet the competition for his services will consume Elway and several other football czars around the league. The resulting sweepstakes would represent a windfall for the coveted quarterback, almost certain to result in the richest contract the NFL has seen to date.

Should that fate befall the Redskins, the Hamlet act of Allen and Snyder will have only themselves to blame for failing to heed the timely advice of their own head coach.

"Being an accomplished quarterback in the National Football League is a heck of a thing, and there aren't many of them," Jay Gruden cautioned in the summer of 2016. "If you get one, you better hang on to him, because they don't grow on trees."

Sadly, the KC era is over in DC. :(

3 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

He and his agent would probably refuse any offers and go for the one year at $34M. He can always play Ground Hog day next year.

Hmmm...pretty sure he was referring to using the transition tag.

IF he refuses offers, still "only" gets $27 million to my understanding.

Gruden video below. I think Gruden pretty much knows that Cousins is definitely gone and he seems like he's pissed about it and starts out with "you know what" followed by 5 seconds of shaking his head and making the same sounds he did when he had to discuss RG3 being forced upon him a few years ago, and then just says pretty much what Snyder and Bruce wanted him to say. He did keep his job, for 1 more season anyway, but he's joining his bro in Oakland asap from the looks of this.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21943460

I really hope it's not the Broncos who I probably can't root for. I could handle it if it's the Jets or Bills but I hope it's the Jags because I'll likely be moving near(ish) to Jacksonville from the Philippines part time in the next year and that'll make it possible for me to switch to rooting for my actual home team. I've never lived in DC and chose the Redskins over 35 years ago when I was 8, on the spot because my grandmother wouldn't let me sit there agnostic to the idea or choosing a side while my grandparents each rooted for Dallas/Washington so I had to pick a side. I wisely chose the Redskins who then went on to play in 4 Superbowls but in 1981 they kinda sucked, I didn't even know what I was getting myself into.

I have decided that I can just as easily unchoose them now due to the team over the past decade becoming something that I laugh at more than I root for and I'm not really down for another 20 year Dan Snyder Clown Show. Snyder isn't selling the team unless we all bail out. I've already declined spending a dime on Snyder's Fantasy Football Team over the past 10+ years and haven't actually watched one of their games live since last season (torrents are much better quality than streaming sites). This final step won't mean much to me now if this does continue to be a clown show. Which should say a lot.

Cousins might never win anything on his next team but just wait to see these Redskins without him. Dan Snyder is about to shove his entire skull up his ass once again just for old times sake. Hilarity of the most epic proportions coming soon to a FEDEX sponsored stadium near you!!! I said a week ago that it's about 75% that Cousins is gone due to these morons, now I'll have to raise that to 95% so I don't feel that I'm stepping out on a limb predicting what was inevitable in 2015 when Snyder decided not to resign Cousins for almost nothing compared to what he will now rightfully demand. And no, I don't think he's worth 30M a year, just like Carr isn't worth anywhere near 25, but if they had just signed (overpaid) him for 3 years 35-40M before/during 2015 they'd be able to get him longer term now for a decent discount rather than paying extra for being assholes the entire time.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

I hope it's the Jags because I'll likely be moving near(ish) to Jacksonville from the Philippines part time in the next year and that'll make it possible for me to switch to rooting for my actual home team. I've never lived in DC and chose the Redskins over 35 years ago when I was 8, on the spot because my grandmother wouldn't let me sit there agnostic to the idea or choosing a side while my grandparents each rooted for Dallas/Washington so I had to pick a side. I wisely chose the Redskins who then went on to play in 4 Superbowls but in 1981 they kinda sucked, I didn't even know what I was getting myself into.

Do people really do this? I can understand giving up season tickets and not buying merch etc, but just completely flat out switching to another team?

You've seen 4 superbowls and the Redskins winning 3 of them. Count yourself lucky. I've only been a fan for about 9 years now, so I have known nothing but Snyder and misery with the Redskins and I have absolutely no reason to support the Skins - I just picked the team that won the Superbowl the year I was born. I live in the UK (hence getting into the sport late) and the Jags are over here once a year for the next 3 seasons and have been over here once a year for 4 or 5 now so that's about as close to hometown team as we have in the UK. I haven't once considered switching my allegiance, and never will, That thought has literally never occurred to me.

I just don't understand how you can just give up on something you've rooted for your entire life and go "Well, if this half decent QB moves to the Jags then that will legitimise me transferring my allegiance so I'll just be a Jags fan from now on, screw the 'Skins". That whole logic is completely beyond me.

By the way - I know the Jags only joined the league in 1995 but they've never been to a Superbowl - if you were a jags fan from the start you'd not have seen anything better out of them than you have from the Skins under Snyder.

I know the Cousins thing is a circus, but Kirk has played his part in that (refusing to even negotiate last year, the nonsensical "God told me not to go for a LTD" crap, crapping the bed in pivotal games with playoff implications, every primetime game he plays etc which fuels the thinking that he ain't as good as his stats etc etc.) Yes the FO have screwed up the negotiations but it's not like he is Peyton Manning and he has given plenty of pause for thought as to whether he is worth what he is demanding.

Wherever Kirk goes, I hope to see him raising a Super Bowl trophy above his head with the words "Super Bowl MVP" written at the bottom of my tv screen. And while that's happening im gonna wonder what Dan and Bruce are thinking and how embarrassed they must feel.

I'm still going to be a Redskins fan, but I'm definitely rooting for this to happen.

3 hours ago, UKskins said:

Do people really do this? I can understand giving up season tickets and not buying merch etc, but just completely flat out switching to another team?

We would if we could.  This organization has defeated my fandom so many times over the last 20 years.  They are a hard group to root for.  Not the players and usually not the coaches.  Dan and the gang.  It's been this way long before Kirk and will probably remain that way long after him.  There is just nothing likable about the guys in the suite.   I don't need to go over the laundry list of reasons why that is, it's all out there for your consumption.  In life we tend to root for good people, it's why Rudy is such a great story, it's why we shed tears when the kid with downs syndrome makes the winning 3 point shot, etc.  There is nothing about Dan Snyder and the way he's ran the team since he's had it that makes you want to root for the guy, other than the fact that he owns the team we grew up loving.  This Kirk situation is about way more than Kirk Cousins.  I could never switch to another team because it's simply not possible to draw the same passion for another team at this point in my life.  However, I absolutely would root for Kirk Cousins to win a Super Bowl, simply because it would be a kill shot to the egos of the guys in the suite. 

1 hour ago, SprintBomb said:

Wherever Kirk goes, I hope to see him raising a Super Bowl trophy above his head with the words "Super Bowl MVP" written at the bottom of my tv screen. And while that's happening im gonna wonder what Dan and Bruce are thinking and how embarrassed they must feel.

I'm still going to be a Redskins fan, but I'm definitely rooting for this to happen.

I think he has to look directly into the camera and deliver a "how ya like me now".

3 hours ago, UKskins said:

That always seems crazy to me.

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I could never switch to another team because it's simply not possible to draw the same passion for another team at this point in my life.  However, I absolutely would root for Kirk Cousins to win a Super Bowl, simply because it would be a kill shot to the egos of the guys in the suite. 

I am the same way.  For me my roots in the team go beyond Dan-Bruce.  I became a fan during the Cooke-Gibbs-Beathard era.   That was a likable group who also seemed a step ahead.  This group isn't likable and always seems to be a step behind. 

Cooley-Sheehan show this morning had a good analogy about the QB situation.  The likened it to having a drunken uncle who had multiple spouses because of his antics.  The dude finally gets his life straight some and finds the right spouse and still blows it.  And now we are supposed to support our dysfunctional uncle who is back to his old ways. 

Sheehan goes leave it to this team.  They finally get a QB after all these years and screw it up and can't hold on to him.  It's 100% on them not Kirk.  He goes its mind boggling. 

As for Kirk yeah if he leaves, I am not rooting for his team but I am rooting for him to shove it back in the face of the team by winning big.  I don't know if you guys recall Brad Johnson coming into to Fedex and helping beat the Redskins after they let him go -- and wearing his old Redskins jersey walking to the bus.  Giving it back to Dan.

7 hours ago, mrfixit28 said:

Hmmm...pretty sure he was referring to using the transition tag.

IF he refuses offers, still "only" gets $27 million to my understanding.

If it was the transition tag then we don't get any compensation  when he leaves.  Original post was definitely about the exclusive tag and the simple truth is he either signs it and takes the $34 million or we do work a trade but it won't be for 2 first round picks.  The 2 first round picks is the compensation if a trade is not worked out, the reality is Kirk could say I am going to sign and play 1 year then walk or you can trade me to team X for the 2nd rounder they are offering right now.

The future at the QB position is still too unknown at this point to really feel one way or another.  I lean on the side of wanting Cousins back and making him the long term QB of this team.  However, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he leaves and the front office brings in another QB, say an Alex Smith or Bradford, and the team ends up with about the same record as they have the past three seasons. Perhaps even better if they do wise things with the leftover money.

I understand why a big portion of the fanbase is riding all hope for the near future on re-signing Cousins, because without him there is a ton of uncertainty. All I am saying is that Cousins leaving doesn't automatically equal the doom & gloom people are so sure will come due to his exit.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The future at the QB position is still too unknown at this point to really feel one way or another.  I lean on the side of wanting Cousins back and making him the long term QB of this team.  However, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he leaves and the front office brings in another QB, say an Alex Smith or Bradford, and the team ends up with about the same record as they have the past three seasons. Perhaps even better if they do wise things with the leftover money.

I understand why a big portion of the fanbase is riding all hope for the near future on re-signing Cousins, because without him there is a ton of uncertainty. All I am saying is that Cousins leaving doesn't automatically equal the doom & gloom people are so sure will come due to his exit.

I have no doubt we can go 8-8 with Smith or Bradford or a Fitzpatrick on a hot streak as long as the other units continue to improve. I want a long term, quality QB for the foreseeable future to build around. Because that's what it takes for a team to finally break through on a consistent basis. It takes the QB position solidified with a very good QB. We have one, but we're the Redskins. So its over, he is gone. They have run my team into (no... under) the ground. Might as well just change the name. Put my loved one to rest. Give me some closure.

The more reports of teams being interested in Cousins that come out, the more it would seem to make sense to use the transitional tag on him, assuming the organization ultimately wants him back.  If the front office just simply allows him to walk with the first offer he gets, then it becomes pretty clear there was no intention of trying to get him to stay.  However, by using the tag, the front office can at least get the idea of what the going rate for Cousins actually is on the market, and then decide then if they feel his value is worth that.  

I wonder how much of a chance there is that an offer or two come in that are under what Cousins & his agent think they will be getting?

1 hour ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I have no doubt we can go 8-8 with Smith or Bradford or a Fitzpatrick on a hot streak as long as the other units continue to improve. I want a long term, quality QB for the foreseeable future to build around. Because that's what it takes for a team to finally break through on a consistent basis. It takes the QB position solidified with a very good QB. We have one, but we're the Redskins. So its over, he is gone. They have run my team into (no... under) the ground. Might as well just change the name. Put my loved one to rest. Give me some closure.

Right. And I think that goes to the bigger point which is with or without Cousins, the team overall needs to be improved before any of us can expect to get beyond the 7-9 to 9-7 types of seasons.  

11 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

He and his agent would probably refuse any offers and go for the one year at $34M. He can always play Ground Hog day next year.

Which is why I think we will be talking about this same **** in a year from now. The only move that make sense for the franchise is to sign him long term. But since they wont do that for whatever reason (and they are plenty, none of them good enough to be considered smart, though) I think the best thing they could do is tag him, dangle him for trade, and if they dont get one go to the drawing board again for rebuilding the team around him. 

With this you either get lucky and slide into the playoffs (face it, its possible with him here. Especially if we build around him and have a soft schedule), or you retool the squad, or we continue to be the Redskins for however many years. We really cant lose!

*Smiles because hes dead inside* 

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Right. And I think that goes to the bigger point which is with or without Cousins, the team overall needs to be improved before any of us can expect to get beyond the 7-9 to 9-7 types of seasons.  

I don't disagree that the roster needs improved to get over the hump.  With that said, we know what we have in Cousins.  A guy with several years in Jay's system that has made strides each year to get better, that has a drive to continue improving year over year.  Anyone else you bring in is a wild card, that will undoubtedly take some time to get acquainted within the system.  In Bradford's case you are also talking about a guy that literally never stays healthy as well.

Archived