Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

I hope Cousins leaves and goes to a team like the Jags or Broncos that has talent,just so i can watch you guys cry..

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Cousins had WAY better weapons last year than the Eagles and flopped when it all was on the line. Trying to compare Cousins to Wentz is lol alright.

Bull****..had no running game or defense..defense was the worst in the ****ing league..

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

I hope Cousins leaves and goes to a team like the Jags or Broncos that has talent,just so i can watch you guys cry..

Bull****..had no running game or defense..defense was the worst in the ****ing league..

You said weapons. I dont know what that has to do with the defense? Cousins had Djax, Garcon, Reed, Thompson and Crowder last year. Wentz has nothing CLOSE to that. My initial comment was in reference to comparing Cousins to Wentz. And I stand by my position. There is no comparison.

Even if you didn't want to go based on stats (Wentz was on course for 40 TDs this season with less than 10 INTs) it's hard to watch Cousins and Wentz play and not see the difference. Wentz is a playmaker who consistently will make big plays out of nothing. And he's only 25 and in his second season. If he comes back completely from his injury it's going to suck to have to play against him for the next 10 years.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You said weapons. I dont know what that has to do with the defense? Cousins had Djax, Garcon, Reed, Thompson and Crowder last year. Wentz has nothing CLOSE to that. My initial comment was in reference to comparing Cousins to Wentz. And I stand by my position. There is no comparison.

You are special..lol you brought up Cousins couldn't win when it mattered and posted his win percentage,but ignored that it takes a team to win..Cousins has never had a top level running game or defense and yet still has the team in a posistion to win alot of the games..

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

You are special..lol you brought up Cousins couldn't win when it mattered and posted his win percentage,but ignored that it takes a team to win..Cousins has never had a top level running game or defense and yet still has the team in a posistion to win alot of the games..

I think we all know who is "special" around here from the content of your posts. I often wonder if you might not be Cousins mother or something? You certainly have an agenda to push.

And you are so "special" that you didnt even see the original post I replied to. My reply had nothing to do with his record. 

35 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You have to take into account his performance in big games if you think he can take the Skins to the Super Bowl. And in big games or high pressure situations Cousins has dropped a deuce more often than not. That doesnt mean he cant get better. But up to this point he has not delivered consistently with big things on the line. His record is below. And that doesnt include his tendency to throw horrifying interceptions at the most inopportune times in big games. His second half of the season performance the past two seasons has been bad as well. 

Like I said I want him back. But he has to want to be here as well. And I am sure he wants to test the market, like any of us would want to do. My wild ass guess is he's gone regardless unless we tag him again.

Kirk Cousins’ starting record: 19-21-1

Cousins’ record against teams with 9+ wins: 2-11

Teams with 8+ wins: 5-13

This has nothing to do with his record? 

Hey he may just be another Matt Ryan, but I think he's at least slightly better and he has literally 0 help on offense right now, but the alternative in the Dan Snyder Universe is to go back to being the slightly less hilarious version of the Browns.

I'll stick with the guy who can get 7-9 wins on a 2-3 win team. If Colt, Osweiler, Keenum, Hoyer, etc started for this team this year we're looking at 3 wins at best and probably only 1-2.

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Cousins isnt on Wentz's level. Not even close. Wentz, a second year player, already has more wins against winning teams than Cousins has in 5 years.

Heres your original post..like i said Wentz has alot better Running game,WR's and Defense than Cousins does so of course it makes it easier for Wentz to have a better record against winning teams..

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You have to take into account his performance in big games if you think he can take the Skins to the Super Bowl. And in big games or high pressure situations Cousins has dropped a deuce more often than not.

I started messing with his stats, I'll finish it up maybe later today.  In short, he's played statistically speaking decently against top 10 defenses this year even without a running game and weapons.  But the defense has gotten smoked against those teams with the exception of the Arizona game and Denver.

Kirk put up unique stats against the Vikings as an example but who would think you can put up 30 points against them and still lose?

We ended 27th in the league in points allowed per game.  If you look at the top 10 teams in the league in points per game on defense, almost all of them are in the playoffs.  Look at the top 10 worse teams in points allowed and none of them are headed to the playoffs.

We can give Goff, Brees, Keenum, etc credit for having a defense like that.  But we all know that isn't true.

Cooley said it well recently if you have to score on average 25 points to win a game -- that's not good.  That's too much stress on the QB-offense.  You can't win that way.

People talk about excuses made for Kirk, etc.  But these aren't excuses.  This is the NFL.  It's a team sport.  It's not about one guy in a vacuum who makes or breaks a team all on their own.   I broke this down a few pages ago, if memory serves if all Kirk had was a defense that was AVERAGE (forget above average) this season if you break out the games they'd have ended up 11-5.

This remains true whether we keep Kirk or go with anyone's fantasy QB choice from the draft.  If the defense stinks we will at best be mediocre.  If you go through the stats, you''ll see if you give up a lot of points -- ending up mediocre is an achievement. 

In short, I don't even consider Kirk having a W-L record against any team.  This isn't tennis. 

20 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Hey he may just be another Matt Ryan, but I think he's at least slightly better and he has literally 0 help on offense right now, but the alternative in the Dan Snyder Universe is to go back to being the slightly less hilarious version of the Browns.

I'll stick with the guy who can get 7-9 wins on a 2-3 win team. If Colt, Osweiler, Keenum, Hoyer, etc started for this team this year we're looking at 3 wins at best and probably only 1-2.

This seems to be assuming that Kirk is only a help and never a hindrance. He's had some poor play this year that undoubtedly has contributed to losses as well as some good play that contributed to wins. 

Be that as it may, you're still going to be hanging a good percentage of your cap space on one guy. If we do that how are we going to then be able to go out and get him the weapons he needs and shore up the OL? All we can do is hope at that point. Hope that Doctson improves and can become a #1 type of a receiver. Hope that Reed can stay healthy for once. Hope that we get lucky and hit big time on some draft picks. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If we do that how are we going to then be able to go out and get him the weapons he needs and shore up the OL? All we can do is hope at that point. Hope that Doctson improves and can become a #1 type of a receiver.

There is talk that GB is thinking about extending Rodgers with a 30 million average per year.  And i posted here they have a gazillion dollars tied up in receiver.  They got three guys at WR -- three-- who are paid way more than any one receiver we got.  If other teams can figure this stuff out -- why can't the Redskins? 

This part isn't directed to you. We act here like other teams don't pay their QBs in the mid 20s -- and we are about to embark on some weird-strange-scary journey.  That kind of discussion is a Redskins Bruce-Dan thing not an NFL thing.   

Only with this fanbase I can recall a loud conversation about hey we got our franchise guy but can we really afford him -- would life be better if we just rode with our backup and went fishing again in the draft.  This conversation is very unique to this franchise.  You got a little conversation like that with other teams but not a heck of a lot.  Here we flip the premise on its head -- yeah maybe we don't pay our franchise QB -- lets contemplate that and heck it might even be really really cool.

Granted Cooley might be right -- that it isn't much of our fanbase who think this way judging by their polls but a loud minority of them.

1 hour ago, bh32 said:

why is everyone worried about Cousins cap number,but not Normans? 

Good question. Norman, while not perfect, shuts down one half of the field for opposing offenses. Cousins hasn't proven to me he can be that dominant. Piles up the yardage but doesn't get it done at crunch time or in the red zone. Fell off sharply this season with the level of talent he'd have around him in coming years due to his cap hit.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is talk that GB is thinking about extending Rodgers with a 30 million average per year.  And i posted here they have a gazillion dollars tied up in receiver.  They got three guys at WR -- three-- who are paid way more than any one receiver we got.  If other teams can figure this stuff out -- why can't the Redskins? 

Packers cut corners on the OL and on defense. Ravens take opposite approach: nickel and dime it with the skill players on offense while hoping that Flacco and a stout defense can carry them.

You can't have it all.

If the Redskins somehow fielded a top ten rated defense in points allowed next season, then yes, the quality of quarterback is not as important. Anything less than top ten and it becomes more and more important. Fielding a defense in the bottom 10 requires a good to great quarterback like Cousins. Spending 16% of the salary cap on him will not hamstring the team. Going forward that percentage of cap only goes down with an LTD

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.Cooley said it well recently if you have to score on average 25 points to win a game -- that's not good.  That's too much stress on the QB-offense.  You can't win that way.

People talk about excuses made for Kirk, etc.  But these aren't excuses.  This is the NFL.  It's a team sport.  It's not about one guy in a vacuum who makes or breaks a team all on their own.   I broke this down a few pages ago, if memory serves if all Kirk had was a defense that was AVERAGE (forget above average) this season if you break out the games they'd have ended up 11-5.

This remains true whether we keep Kirk or go with anyone's fantasy QB choice from the draft.  If the defense stinks we will at best be mediocre.  If you go through the stats, you''ll see if you give up a lot of points -- ending up mediocre is an achievement. 

In short, I don't even consider Kirk having a W-L record against any team.  This isn't tennis. 

In my view, this is flawed logic and I prefer to look at each game as it’s own entity. The Skins have been in most games when the 4th quarter comes around over the last 48 games and many variables have resulted in wins and losses. This is true with a defense that wasn’t a strength or an offense that was above average last and average this year.

Stats will say the defense was horrible this year, but when looking at each game on its own, you’ll see a unit that dominated 6-7 games this season that led to wins. Yes, other games were horrible, below average and average. 

Overall stats in a 16 game sport aren’t all that great, IMO. 

**Cooley will begin to side with organization as time goes. 

You can't have it all. It's up to the FO to scout talent and make a team which conceals it's weaknesses. Packers can get away with a bad OL because Rodgers is elusive and gets the ball out.

Which is why I think it doesn't matter what they do at QB because the FO (and the amateur GM who owns the franchise) can't put together a good team. These were not good receivers to start a season with, for example.

Also, Norman way underperformed this year.

I think the defense, healthy, is/was better then how they performed down the stretch.  The first handful of games this defense looked very different from last year.  The issue was the depth.  The defense couldn't sustain the injuries to guys like Jonathan Allen who was an instant crazy upgrade from the very first snap he took in the NFL.  

Just saw that Dunbar signed a 3 year extension. 10.5 million. Is that basically confirmation that Breeland is gone?

The sooner we know the outcome the better.  I'd love for them to resolve this in January one way or the other but I expect it will drag on with Cousins unwilling to sign with the Skins or agree to negotiate an extension with the teams the Skins line up for a trade.  I hope they cut him loose in March rather tag him and continue to hold him hostage if he is ready to move on from the Skins.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As @profusionpointed out, you can't have it all. You're going to have to cut corners somewhere unless you're just hoping on having a bunch of JAGs and being able to make it all the way. If you're paying your QB top dollar and you have at least one or two other top dollar talents then you are going to have to choose your battles when it comes to bringing in guys for other positions. We don't have much money invested in WR but we have a decent amount in OL (at least with Trent, though we will with Scherff soon as 2018 will be his contract year. Obviously Guards don't command as much as elite Tackles but he's still a Pro Bowler and will want a decent amount). We really really need a good LG and we really really need a good #1 WR. That's not to mention holes on the defense as well, though we might get lucky and some rookies will continue to pan out. 

Rodgers is the kind of guy you CAN cut some corners with in certain areas because of his skill set. As was mentioned he doesn't necessarily need an elite OL because of his playmaking and escapability. With a guy like Brady you don't really need to invest a ton in skill positions because he's shown that he can get it done with just about anyone catching passes. Same thing with Brees. Flacco is a guy you want a big time defense and run game for when you tie so much money up in him. It was a mistake but not much they could do since he had just completely crushed the playoffs and won a SB. With Kirk we're just not sure exactly how good the guys around him would have to be in order to go all the way.

Tough situation.

Question: Lets say the organization is neutral on Cousins staying or going.  Is there any good reason not to use the transitional tag on him just to at least see what other teams are willing to pay him?  What is the downside?  With that tag, you at least are giving yourself the opportunity to keep Cousins if the price tag is in the range of what you were going to offer him anyway.

I don't see a good reason to simply just let Cousins walk outright unless there is a specific QB or two out there in free agency that they want and sign pretty soon.

Year    Total                             Liabilities                                           Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room
2018    $126,472,100 $179,567,811 $53,095,711
2019    $110,870,798 $190,000,000 $79,129,202
2020    $87,891,818 $200,000,000 $112,108,182
2021    $24,950,000 $200,000,000 $175,050,000
2022    $7,750,000 $200,000,000 $192,250,000

These are raw without Dunbar's numbers or any other resigns but Cousins wanted guarantees/base will come right off the top as I understand it.  So, say we pay him $26 - $27 mil per year guaranteed, I think that $53 mil would be cut in half leaving us somewhere around $26 mil to sign FA's in 2018.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

These are raw without Dunbar's numbers or any other resigns but Cousins wanted guarantees/base will come right off the top as I understand it.  So, say we pay him $26 - $27 mil per year guaranteed, I think that $53 mil would be cut in half leaving us somewhere around $26 mil to sign FA's in 2018.

Depends on how the Cousins contract would be strutted, of course.

But also, need to tender RFAs, sign draft picks, leave room to expand roster from 51 to 53, sign player to replace those on IR, fill practice squad, leave space for in-season emergencies....

If we sign Cousins, Brown, Long and Foster, even with a decent amount of contract back-loading, it's hard to imagine the team could do much else.

Archived