Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

Cousins is better then 75% of the qbs that start in this league. I still can’t believe how so many of you hate on him. With that being said, I wouldn’t mind a rookie qb for the right price of trade. Not doing rg3 again, but, if that one kid who said he doesn’t wanna be a brown could pull an Eli/elway move and maybe we could be the giants/colts in that situation by giving them cousins. But we can’t even trade cousins can we? That’s the worst part

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Why do we need a pro bowl QB to go 8-8?

Because the rest of the team is a dumpster fire.

21 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

also I’m about to get extremely intoxicated

I wish I'd done that during the game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-polarizing-and-unending-kirk-cousins-debate-gets-fresh-fuel-with-season-finale-stinker/2017/12/31/0c81b37c-ee5b-11e7-b3bf-ab90a706e175_story.html?utm_term=.6d6929358f20

...If the Cousins supporters were toasting his three-touchdown performance last week against Denver in what could have been his last home game at FedEx Field, then his detractors are ordering champagne now. It’s a vicious cycle that the franchise perpetuates with its indecision and lack of creativity in negotiating with Cousins. For the better part of three seasons – 48 games – Cousins has been playing for his future, having his worth scrutinized with every performance.

It needs to stop, mostly for our sanity. The experience is so unhealthy that truthful and balanced evaluation gets washed away by the hyperbole leaking from both sides. His highs have become asinine “Told ya so!” material. His lows have become embarrassing “You like that!” taunts. A fair contract proposal seems like the most intricate puzzle ever created. Maybe that’s because we’re all dumber for going through this debacle.

It can’t just be that Cousins is a good quarterback who played a terrible game Sunday. There must be some mystery about him that the performance exposed, some proof – See! See! See! – that he is unworthy of whatever big payday he’ll receive. This bad taste will linger into the offseason and influence Washington’s simple-minded decision-making in some way, just like the disappointment of missing the playoffs in the last game of 2016 colored the franchise’s thinking.

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Cousins performance today left a really bad taste in the mouths of Skins fans.  He finished today 20 of 37 with no touchdowns and 3 interception.  For the year the Wash Post reported he had 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.  So if you are the General Manager, how do you evaluate his overall performance for this year and decide if he can make a huge difference in making this team better or if he is just a major piece of the total team rebuild that is needed?  All year long I have been in KC's corner, but today's game really has me thinking about the future of our team.  If Cousin's leaves he will get his money from another team, so he is set whether he stays in Washington or whether he leaves.  He has to understand if he stays, he cannot take up 35-40% of our annual salary cap.  Why? Because we have so many other holes on this team that need fixing.  Just saw an online message from Niles Paul and he thinks he will not be invited back.  If I am Cousins, I want a team that already has a good defense and an offensive line that can protect me.  To me that sounds like the Denver Broncos.  The only positive for today was the fact the Eagles scored zero points today and their delusional fan base still thinks they are going to the Super Bowl without Carson Wentz starting as their quarterback.

I guess my question would be are we delusional for thinking we would ever go to the super bowl with Kirk?

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco can get their teams to the SB, so can Cousins.

Since you're referencing one QB who had the 5th best passer rating season all-time and the other had probably the best postseason run of the century, I don't know that they represent proof that plenty of people can do it.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Since you're referencing one QB who had the 5th best passer rating season all-time and the other had probably the best postseason run of the century, I don't know that they represent proof that plenty of people can do it.

Matt Ryan with all of his weapons on offense put up 11 more points total this season than the Redskins and until this week we led them by 1 point. Ryan threw 19TDs. Julio Jones had 3 TDs. Oh, but his 2 RB's ran for over 1400 yards and 12tds and since they gave up fewer points they won 3 more games.

You don't believe that Cousins can match those stats with the same weapons when he did MORE with nobody even close to Jones, Freeman, Sanu, or Coleman? None of those guys missed a game the entire season and neither did their TE. Their #3 receiver played in every game as well.

Also, Cousins leads the team in rushing TD's and without his yards our entire team ran for just over 1200 yards, most of his OL missed 1/2 the season too but he couldn't possibly do what Ryan did? :rofl89:

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I never said plenty of people could do it.  I said Cousins could do it.

Last year, if you swapped Ryan for Cousins, in Shanahan’s offense, with those skill position players, I think Cousins has the exact same season.  

For Flacco, he’s clutch, but overall I think Cousins is as good a QB.  I will concede, however, I’m not sure if Cousins would be clutch enough to win with that Ravens team, going into NE and beating the Patriots.  We have t seen that level of clutch from him. 

31 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Matt Ryan with all of his weapons on offense put up 11 more points total this season than the Redskins and until this week we led them by 1 point. Ryan threw 19TDs. Julio Jones had 3 TDs. Oh, but his 2 RB's ran for over 1400 yards and 12tds and since they gave up fewer points they won 3 more games.

You don't believe that Cousins can match those stats with the same weapons when he did MORE with nobody even close to Jones, Freeman, Sanu, or Coleman? None of those guys missed a game the entire season and neither did their TE. Their #3 receiver played in every game as well.

Also, Cousins leads the team in rushing TD's and without his yards our entire team ran for just over 1200 yards, most of his OL missed 1/2 the season too but he couldn't possibly do what Ryan did? :rofl89:

First off, I didn't say a word about what Cousins "couldn't possibly do".

Secondly, Ryan had a statistically historic season when he took his team to the Super Bowl. Using what he did in other seasons as a comparison for what is Super Bowl caliber is the  logic equivalent of nonsense.

4 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

What baffles my mind is that this division is getting better so much competitively with QBs like Prescott and Wentz and this team will actually be taking a 3-4 steps backwards with losing Cousins if that happens.  

Well Prescott have one of the best OL and best RB to support him. That's easing his job a lot.

We would ask to run Prescott out of town if he was playing here, really.

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Using what he did in other seasons as a comparison for what is Super Bowl caliber is the  logic equivalent of nonsense.

Nonsense is using his regular season stats as a reference as if that's why he got to the SB.

Cousins has been just as good over the past 3 seasons, without a Julio Jones or a Freeman and this year he outperformed Ryan with NOBODY while Ryans guys, all of them, missed 0 games the entire season.

But yeah, lets pretend that Cousins couldn't get us to a SB if he was surrounded with non injured talent for 16 games.

Like him or not, whether we keep Cousins depends on what it takes and what are our other options.  We don’t know the answer to either of these questions at this point. Once we do, it should be relatively easy to determine whether he is our best bet for 2018. 

With regard to comparing other QB's contracts to the potential Cousins contract, look at when the lower average salary contracts were inked. The most recent contracts for decent QB's are all in the 25 to 27 million dollar range. By the way, very few good QB's are actually slated to be free agents this year: Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater, Jimmy Garoppolo and Case Keenum. Brees and Garoppolo will probably not make it to free agency and the Vikings will sign one of their 3 apparently decent QB's. The three remaining borderline franchise QB's are going to get PAID due to scarce supply. Eli Manning might also be available, but seems too old to me to be discussed as a good alternative.

As for signing a rookie, the last good QB the redskins drafted was Rypien in 1986 so color me skeptical. All the others have not worked out.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35241/kirk-cousins-finale-provides-fodder-for-critics

..."I'll definitely be paying attention to it," Redskins safety D.J. Swearinger said. "Definitely want Kirk back. That's an elite quarterback in this league. He's our elite quarterback and hopefully we can get him back. The business is the business. This organization has a big decision to make and hopefully they make the right decision by bringing him back."

...Cousins won't be judged on one game, nor should he be. The body of work will dictate what ultimately happens. He did help move the offense despite key losses in players such as tight end Jordan Reed, running back Chris Thompson and left tackle Trent Williams. They missed a combined 22 games.

"Of course we want Kirk here," Redskins tight end Vernon Davis said. "We believe in him. He's one of the best guys in the locker room. He's a great leader. He's everything you want in a quarterback and you can't ask for anything more. Unfortunately, we don't have any say so. ... Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

9 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

What baffles my mind is that this division is getting better so much competitively with QBs like Prescott and Wentz and this team will actually be taking a 3-4 steps backwards with losing Cousins if that happens.  

Prescott is terrible..no way in hell is he on Cousins or Wentz's level and never will be.

59 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Prescott is terrible..no way in hell is he on Cousins or Wentz's level and never will be.

Bingo, Prescott imho isn't anything to write home about and lets be honest, what we saw from him this season is far more the player he is and will be then what we saw in him last season in his rookie campaign.  And Wentz while definitely far better then Dek still has only shown us the 1 very good season and then got hurt, I do think Carson is going to be a very good QB and has a bright future but for me the jury is still out on him.

Prescott is fool's gold and I knew as much last season. When he has an elite line and elite RB he hardly has to do anything except not make too many mistakes and make the occasional good play and they're fine. When Zeke is out, even when still having an elite line, he gets exposed and is completely mediocre. 

Never been a big Matt Ryan fan. Until last season he always seemed to have the issue of coming up short in the big games. Last season he was great in post season until they utterly melted down and lost to the Pats. But it seems (unsurprisingly) like that was more Kyle Shanahan than anything else as this year he's back to being a good but not elite QB. He's actually the "upper tier" QB that Kirk most reminds me of. Always puts up good stats as far as comp %, etc. Throws for lots of yards but not lots of TDs compared to those yards. Has problems in the biggest games (until last season he was 1-4 in playoff games). Just good enough to get a big paycheck but will likely never win a SB. 

Flacco is a mediocre regular season QB who seems to play well in the postseason and has been extremely clutch there for most of his career. 

Assuming he comes back healthy, Wentz I think is legit and will be a pain in our sides for many years to come. 

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

But yeah, lets pretend that Cousins couldn't get us to a SB if he was surrounded with non injured talent for 16 games.

You have to take into account his performance in big games if you think he can take the Skins to the Super Bowl. And in big games or high pressure situations Cousins has dropped a deuce more often than not. That doesnt mean he cant get better. But up to this point he has not delivered consistently with big things on the line. His record is below. And that doesnt include his tendency to throw horrifying interceptions at the most inopportune times in big games. His second half of the season performance the past two seasons has been bad as well. 

Like I said I want him back. But he has to want to be here as well. And I am sure he wants to test the market, like any of us would want to do. My wild ass guess is he's gone regardless unless we tag him again.

Kirk Cousins’ starting record: 19-21-1

Cousins’ record against teams with 9+ wins: 2-11

Teams with 8+ wins: 5-13

I just dont see any way Kirk stays.  We can offer a 34 million 1 year deal that cripples our already poor roster, or we can try for a long term deal.  And a long term deal he isnt going to sign here, because A. He doesnt like Bruce Allen(who does), B. The team is getting worse, and he wants to win, and C. Hes probably tired of having to do everything himself, and would like a running game and maybe a defense.  It makes no sense for him to stay.

On the flip side, I think that Kirk will never be great, and fails in important games.  But I do think he is good, and better than 75% of the league.  The problem we have is the rest of the team is worse than Kirk, so letting him go means we likely go down to 5-11 next season.  The odds of drafting a player better than good or signing a Case Keenum this year is probably closer to 10%, and even more so for a front office that has built the current failing roster.

2 hours ago, bh32 said:

Cousins isnt on Wentz's level. Not even close. Wentz, a second year player, already has more wins against winning teams than Cousins has in 5 years.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Cousins isnt on Wentz's level. Not even close. Wentz, a second year player, already has more wins against winning teams than Cousins has in 5 years.

Yet Wentz has alot better WR's and defense,but its all Cousins fault for the loses...lol

2 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Yet Wentz has alot better WR's and defense,but its all Cousins fault for the loses...lol

Cousins had WAY better weapons last year than the Eagles and flopped when it all was on the line. Trying to compare Cousins to Wentz is lol alright.

Archived