Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's your version of reality, its not a fact.  I could just as easily argue the Giants had more on the line.  Spags is auditioning for the head coaching job, he's about to be interviewed by them from what I heard on the radio.  Good luck doing that after losing every game.  They have a new GM who just released and deactivated players and is judging the roster. 

This is just giving New York more credit than they deserve and exonerating the 'Skins for the loss.

The Giants are one of the worst teams in the NFL and fielded a bunch of tryout players, whereas Jay and crew emphasized finishing 8-8 since being officially eliminated from the playoff picture. To say New York had more on the line is giving Jay and Kirk a pass for a crap game.

1 minute ago, Garcon More Wine said:

4000+ yards and over 30 total TDs is now average in the NFL.

Agree.

Keep it mind he did it with all those weapons.  :ols:  A healthy-supportive offensive line.  He didn't really get sacked much this year did he?  The dude could like knit sweaters on third down he had so much time.   And the running game has been spectacular.  So 4000 plus yards, 30 total TDs should be expected -- especially against the incredibly weak schedule he faced. :)

Just now, BurgundyBooger said:

This is just giving New York more credit than they deserve and exonerating the 'Skins for the loss.

The Giants are one of the worst teams in the NFL and fielded a bunch of tryout players, whereas Jay and crew emphasized finishing 8-8 since being officially eliminated from the playoff picture. To say New York had more on the line is giving Jay and Kirk a pass for a crap game.

Just trying to gauge what you are getting it?   Embrace the moment -- feel the anger.  Fire Jay. Let Kirk go?   A loss like this is unacceptable and unforgivable?

Some team will hand a third of their salary cap to Cousins. The Skins shouldn't be that team. 

At that kind of cap hit, he'd need to be a guy like Brady or Rodgers who can make the offense work with a bunch of spare parts playing around him, allowing the team to focus the largest remaining part of the cap on defense. Cousins isn't that guy. He's very good with good players around him.

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Those pretending that this was a meaningless game didn’t listen to anything that was said prior to the game by anyone on this team. Unless you think there was some conspiracy to tank this game which is flat out wrong all the players cared greatly about todays results. Just because the game itself didn’t mean anything more then draft position no one wanted to go out like this. That’s why they played better the past two weeks. It meant something to all of them

Really irrating to see on RedZone Kirk’s stat line scroll over and over again. Today’s result is actually the worst possibility out of all the possibilities to happen today. 

Now I didn’t think the Skins would win today but to go into the offseason with the last impression being a passing game of under 200 yards 0 TDs and 3 INTs against a two win team with such a big decision on what to do with Kirk hanging over his head is awful for anyone who cares about this situation.

Much worse then last year because then we at least could say we were close to the playoffs and he just had a bad game. Today we can’t say that and now they have a huge financial decision to make when he plays the worst game I can remember. Absolutely not what was needed

They played conservative and packed it in when Ty and Perrine went down. If the contract decision is being made on this game, that's as short sighted as the team has been to date. So I would guess that is what will happen. So get ready for 3-13 for a few years and yet another complete overhaul. 

I find it interesting that now we are paying attention to what the players and Jay said before the game but when it doesn't fit the narrative it's considered "coach speak", or what else are they going to say? Why does that not apply here? 

The highlighted comment is seriously over dramatic. Again, anyone using this as some sort of barometer or decision maker has already decided and nothing that happened today would make any difference. 

3 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Sheehan is unbearable at times. He might be on Cousins' payroll. Cooley isn't as bad. He just reiterates that you need a QB.

If you want someone to agree with Kirk critics -- Cooley isn't your friend.  His main point isn't you just need a QB whether its Kirk or anyone else.  He's big time on the Kirk is the guy train.  He is the dude saying right  after the last game of the season (so I guess right about now :)) give Kirk a major offer, at least 100 million guaranteed.

14 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Which spotlight was there tonight? That was a garbage game.

We called the season over when NSheke and Perine went down.

What did you expect with Catalina / Kouandjio as your left side of the line?

What did he say? Obviously I didn't hear it.

You're absolutely correct; today's game was garbage. Regarding the spotlight you might care to review Cousins' Monday Night record, as well as his winning percentage against divisional opponents and opponents with records greater than .500. 

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd answer this but I've answered it so many times from you, it would be redundant.   So in the spirit of New Years Eve, I'll let it go aside from saying I wish your definition of the Redskins Snyder era actually was true.  Mediocrity hasn't been the issue.  :)

Specific to the Giants,  as a starter, Kirk is 3-3 during the last 3 seasons.   I understand the losses are magnified more than the wins especially with the Kirk critics.  But in reality, Kirk has been up and down as a starter against them.  

If you want to kill Kirk for the Giant losses when it happens -- OK.  I hope you are killing the run defense.  What gets lost in sauce with the season ending losses to the Giants is that our defense has made their run offense look elite.  260 yards?  That's insane.  If I recall both last season and this season, the Giants season high on the ground has been against the Redskins.

These stats are just bad and he himself is usually the reason why we lose to them. 

Im not saying this should be the tipping point but it’s a red flag for sure 

57F23BC5-920D-41A6-9E36-4D60C0B30BEF.png

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

PFF gave Cousins a grade of 39.3.  See below:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/refocused-new-york-giants-18-washington-redskins-10

They had him ranked #15 last week.  It will probably sink even more. 17? 18?  With a rank that low, I don't see how a salary of 23 million is justified .  

They have Mariota at 7 and Carr at 16.

Those two guys have been bottom-third QBs this season.  Not to mention having Stafford at #18 when all of his PFF stats are better than or equal to 18th.

Their rankings are a joke.

1 minute ago, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

They have Mariota at 7 and Carr at 16.

Those two guys have been bottom-third QBs this season.  Not to mention having Stafford at #18 when all of his PFF stats are better than or equal to 18th.

Their rankings are a joke.

Okay fine.  Either #12 or #14 per footballoutsiders:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

With the Giants defense ranked at #27 or #28, if you look below

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

his rank is going to slide even more.

Even ESPN has Cousins ranked at #13:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Bear in mind, this was all before the 3-int debacle against the Giants.  

Special kind of stupid with this fan base..What part of you cant get a good QB for under 20+mil don't you understand? If they let Cousins go they might as well blow the whole team up and let everyone with a high salary go..This team will be very bad without Cousins..What does it matter at this point if they give Cousins a LTD and he fails? So what they would be stuck for a few years..If it gets that bad they would be starting completely over anyways due to the age of the core pieces already in place..

Also, I want to make it clear that I’m not actively counting the days until he leaves. The guy is the best QB we’ve had since I’ve been alive. By a lot. The money just doesn’t add up and it’s not even his fault. It’s the Front office’s. Kirk is a solid QB that can have elite moments in a system he’s comfortable in. Sucks that it came to this but at this point, i want the best for the Skins. 

14 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

They had him ranked #15 last week.  It will probably sink even more. 17? 18?  With a rank that low, I don't see how a salary of 23 million is justified .  

Which QB that is not worth 23M would have had a better game than Kirk tonight with that same OL, no Running game and no run defense?

Dak

2 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Special kind of stupid with this fan base..What part of you cant get a good QB for under 20+mil don't you understand? 

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Scroll down to Ryan Tannehill and then look below that and then tell us how none of those guys are “good” QBs please.

I don’t understand why so many of you ignore how other teams are building themselves and finding success or posting unknown things like without Kirk this is a 3 win team? Just don’t get it

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Also, I want to make it clear that I’m not actively counting the days until he leaves. The guy is the best QB we’ve had since I’ve been alive. By a lot. The money just doesn’t add up and it’s not even his fault. It’s the Front office’s. Kirk is a solid QB that can have elite moments in a system he’s comfortable in. Sucks that it came to this but at this point, i want the best for the Skins. 

Same brother. While I maybe a fan of some of these guys I’m a team fan first. If they tag him it won’t be best for them. If they overpay for him it won’t be what’s best either.

I don’t dislike Kirk in fact I think he’s one of the best people I’ve ever seen associated with this game. But to overpay does not help anything now or in the future. 

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Dak

Scroll down to Ryan Tannehill and then look below that and then tell us how none of those guys are “good” QBs please.

I don’t understand why so many of you ignore how other teams are building themselves and finding success or posting unknown things like without Kirk this is a 3 win team? Just don’t get it

Well if you remove those that are on Rookie deal and those that will have to renegotiate this year. I don't see a name that is way better than Kirk within this team.

And even those that have to renegotiate are not a clear cut above him (Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford mainly, the three guys from the Vikes (their offseason will be fun to watch). And the best name is probably Alex Smith, but he wouldn't be way above Cousins trying to survive in this offense.

So what is left?

Mark Sanchez?

Geno Smith?

Blaine Gabbert?

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Dak

Which one of them is better than Kirk?  Wentz?  That's the only one I see. But the team he is on has much to do with it. Unless you think Foles is great too.

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Dak

Every good QB that has signed a contract recently is making 20+mil a year

To answer I look at the other thread about feeling like we just finished 3-13 instead of 7-9.  As the thread maker said, we are an average team and have been an average team every year under Cousins.

So, are we going to continue to be an average team moving forward?  I don't see us suddenly becoming the MN defense or suddenly finding pro bowl receivers and such in the draft.

So, we sign Cousins, spend lots of money and be average to slightly above average in the future.  Obviously, a miracle could happen and our FO could suddenly draft great players, but after years and years watching these same people draft, I am going to say not likely.  Will this team go far in the playoffs in the future as is?

Without Cousins, maybe we have hope that we can find that pro bowl QB.  Or maybe we continue to suck, fire the coaches and continue being miserable.

I guess I am just tired of losing and going to let things happen.  If Cousins is meant to stay he will stay.  If not, move on and start taking the steps to find another one.

Lastly, not saying Jay or not Jay, but it is not the coaches, it is the FO.  It is the ACQUISITION OF TALENT that has failed us since we last won.  Until we fix that Cousins or not, it does not matter.

8 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Which QB that is not worth 23M would have had a better game than Kirk tonight with that same OL, no Running game and no run defense?

I don't know the answer to that.  

To me, here is the bottomline.  So they have Cousins ranked anywhere between 12-17.  Is it really that difficult to draft  a QB who will be just as productive?  That's just average IMO.  A guy like Carson Wentz would probably require a high draft pick.  Now, if we can find a guy like Cousins in the 3rd or 4th round, we will be saving a lot of money.  We would be able to address a lot of our needs.

my favorite part of the "no cousins" group is literally ive yet to hear a viable solution.  so cousins walks, fine.  what are we doing?  just drafting a rookie and rolling him out there?  or are we back on the retread market for a josh mcown or case keenum (without minnys defense)?  

theres 3 solutions:

1. sign kirk to 30 per over 5 years, get some stability at QB, still have 25-30 in cap space to shore up WR and defense in 2018, which is even higher in 2019 when normans contract goes away.

2. let kirk walk, draft a high first round QB (meaning we'll probably have to trade picks to do this, and you assume you trust our front office to make this pick), and have gobs of cap space that we wont use, ensuring 2018 is a 100% rebuilding year.

3. let kirk walk, sign a retread scrub QB and continue building the team and accumulating cap space (why, i dont know), and probably draft a QB somewhere not first round and bank on them being.....cousins lol.

which one of these do some of you really want?  

36 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

These stats are just bad and he himself is usually the reason why we lose to them. 

All that post did was reinforce exactly what I said which is 3-3 against the Giants as a starter.  Some good games, some bad games.  3 of those 6 games had good stats.  Thanks for taking the time to show the numbers to back my point. 

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Don’t think the idea would be to find someone “way better”. The idea would be to find someone capable of being an average QB while hopefully improving the D and offensive skill positions with more young playmakers.

or if you draft a QB, you hope that he can develop into a Star

Exactly, we need someone who can just be average. 

We need to fire every single one of our scouts/front office personnel if they can't even find an average QB in the draft.  If you look at all the QB names out there, half of the teams have QB's that are good enough.  Is it hard to find a QB how can be in the 10-20 range?  How much will we lose in terms of wins/losses?

Looks like ESPN updated their QB rankings.  Cousins right now is sitting at 15.  Josh Mccown is at 14.  

How about someone like  a Josh Mccown?  We will be fine.  How much is Cousins better than Mccown?  

Archived